Obvious things that recently Don Don'd you

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby quinine » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm

"relatively," as in "relatively inexpensive", is not really a synonym for "somewhat", it's the same primary definition as "relative", i.e. "inexpensive [in relation to some other referent]"

"relatively speaking," however, can be used with an entirely different meaning
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself
User avatar

quinine
ok
 
Posts: 7399
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: 0,0 / The Shinto Zone

Postby jewels » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:34 pm

Cherry candy is attempting to taste like maraschino cherries, not fresh cherries.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
User avatar

jewels
 
Posts: 23663
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Postby jewels » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:35 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:Wynona’s big brown beaver is not about Winona rider


:shock:
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
User avatar

jewels
 
Posts: 23663
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Postby brent » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:02 am

Quixotic wrote:
juxtaposition records wrote:just realized the opening theme for Twin Peaks are the chords from "Memory Motel" by the Rolling Stones


I don't know how obvious this was... I'm just gonna listen to this a whole bunch though.

holy shit i just had this realization now
User avatar

brent
 
Posts: 31328
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: ...the good life

Postby Coca Cola » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:11 pm

That reggaeton one is rly funny. The beat is called dembow
User avatar

Coca Cola
 
Posts: 4640
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:31 pm

Postby futurist » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:46 pm

brent wrote:
Quixotic wrote:
juxtaposition records wrote:just realized the opening theme for Twin Peaks are the chords from "Memory Motel" by the Rolling Stones


I don't know how obvious this was... I'm just gonna listen to this a whole bunch though.

holy shit i just had this realization now


wow this is amazing. the song's themes are so on point this would be an amazing inspiration for badalamenti and lynch.
User avatar

futurist
 
Posts: 9335
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Postby Mesh » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:03 pm

Musically, it's astonishing to think about. Thematically, I say eh. EH I SAY. Fine, eh.5 for the chorus lyrics.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
User avatar

Mesh
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Detroitia

Postby futurist » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:08 pm

the context is different but the imagery is there
User avatar

futurist
 
Posts: 9335
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Postby aububs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:59 am

always thought it was "burying the lead", as in burying the leading story, hiding the important news

but it's "burying the lede", a lede being the opening part of a news story that summarises its main points
no buddy not really
User avatar

aububs
 
Posts: 8395
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Postby number none » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:21 am

no, you were closer the first time. It means you should start a story with the most newsworthy aspect, rather than "burying" it in the body

and it's only spelled that way to distinguish it from "lead" (as in the metal) because it was used in printing machines
User avatar

number none
 
Posts: 30513
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:00 am

Postby aububs » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:26 am

damn even when I'm right, I'm wrong
no buddy not really
User avatar

aububs
 
Posts: 8395
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Postby Grey Poupon » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:30 am

the spelling bit is a cool factoid
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
User avatar

Grey Poupon
 
Posts: 19721
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 am
Location: phonied up

Postby Viz » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:27 am

number none wrote:no, you were closer the first time. It means you should start a story with the most newsworthy aspect, rather than "burying" it in the body

and it's only spelled that way to distinguish it from "lead" (as in the metal) because it was used in printing machines


And then there's "leading" which is the space between printed lines, which gets its name from it's the space of a lead bar.
Viz
 
Posts: 2307
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:52 pm

Postby hadlex » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:02 am

Just read the words "sealing wax" and realized I had always thought it was "ceiling wax"
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
User avatar

hadlex
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:16 pm

Postby Mesh » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:33 am

Viz wrote:
number none wrote:no, you were closer the first time. It means you should start a story with the most newsworthy aspect, rather than "burying" it in the body

and it's only spelled that way to distinguish it from "lead" (as in the metal) because it was used in printing machines


And then there's "leading" which is the space between printed lines, which gets its name from it's the space of a lead bar.


And then there's "kerning" which as we all know is basImage
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
User avatar

Mesh
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Detroitia

Postby brittle » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:57 pm

the main reason i don't ever have any smooshed bug on my windshield anymore, even though i used to have a million a teenager, isn't because all the bugs are gone, it's because i don't spend my summers driving 30 miles at 75 mph to denver and back every night after work.
User avatar

brittle
 
Posts: 20492
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Postby pana » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:00 pm

brittle wrote:the main reason i don't ever have any smooshed bug on my windshield anymore, even though i used to have a million a teenager, isn't because all the bugs are gone, it's because i don't spend my summers driving 30 miles at 75 mph to denver and back every night after work.

why not both?!
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/study-shows-global-insect-populations-have-crashed-last-decade-180971474/
User avatar

pana
 
Posts: 67569
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:32 pm

Postby brittle » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:18 pm

Oh I know it's a thing; just realized my windshield is not a valid representation of the decline.
User avatar

brittle
 
Posts: 20492
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Postby brittle » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:22 pm

My parents just moved back to the neighborhood I grew up in, and after just two drives back, after dark, there's guts everywhere.

Before that, I feel like I hadn't squished a bug with my windshield in this century
User avatar

brittle
 
Posts: 20492
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:40 pm

the names of the ducklings in Make Way for Ducklings (Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, and Quack) are in JKLMNOPQ. :shock:

I read this thousands of times growing up and dozens of times to my toddler in the last few weeks and I just realized this
User avatar

Jefferson Zeppelin
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: San Francisco

Postby Mesh » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Sleater-Kinney often sound a weird amount like Rush.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
User avatar

Mesh
 
Posts: 6261
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Detroitia

Postby blurst of times » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:24 pm

learned/realized today that the word "mammal" is derived from "mammaries" and that most mammals have nipples.

amazingly, this don don arose out of a discussion about robert de niro's "i've got nipples focker, can you milk me?" line from meet the parents...
User avatar

blurst of times
thread skimmer
 
Posts: 11930
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:06 pm

Postby worrywort » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:01 pm

in boom boom boom boom's chorus it's "i wanna go boom boom" not "I wanna double boom"
User avatar

worrywort
 
Posts: 13266
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:31 pm
Location: california

Postby Barthes Starr » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:37 pm

blurst of times wrote:learned/realized today that the word "mammal" is derived from "mammaries" and that most mammals have nipples.

amazingly, this don don arose out of a discussion about robert de niro's "i've got nipples focker, can you milk me?" line from meet the parents...


if you'd like to read a long academic take on it, this article is canon in the history of science
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/13ed/0 ... 12b432.pdf
User avatar

Barthes Starr
 
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:54 pm

jewels wrote:
Ted Pikul wrote:Wynona’s big brown beaver is not about Winona rider


:shock:


:shock: :shock:

explain plz
User avatar

Jefferson Zeppelin
 
Posts: 5330
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:07 pm
Location: San Francisco

Postby jewels » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:35 am

Barthes Starr wrote:
blurst of times wrote:learned/realized today that the word "mammal" is derived from "mammaries" and that most mammals have nipples.

amazingly, this don don arose out of a discussion about robert de niro's "i've got nipples focker, can you milk me?" line from meet the parents...


if you'd like to read a long academic take on it, this article is canon in the history of science
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/13ed/0 ... 12b432.pdf



this is also helpful
https://forums.hipinion.com/viewtopic.php?t=89007
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
User avatar

jewels
 
Posts: 23663
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Postby shacky » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:47 am

"pathetic" is usually misapplied and is actually the adjective form of "pathos" hence "apathetic"
User avatar

shacky
 
Posts: 5484
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:28 pm
Location: melbin

Postby jordana » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 am

quinine wrote:"relatively," as in "relatively inexpensive", is not really a synonym for "somewhat", it's the same primary definition as "relative", i.e. "inexpensive [in relation to some other referent]"

"relatively speaking," however, can be used with an entirely different meaning


What does relatively speaking mean then?
jordana
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Postby badhat » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:38 am

isnt “relatively speaking” just a different phrasing of the same idea.

my new apartment is relatively inexpensive

vs

my new apartment is inexpensive, relatively speaking, anyway.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.
User avatar

badhat
 
Posts: 50047
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:26 pm
Location: monitoring the situation

Postby Kaputt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:10 am

worrywort wrote:in boom boom boom boom's chorus it's "i wanna go boom boom" not "I wanna double boom"


Woahhhhh. I was always so confused as to what a double boom was.
User avatar

Kaputt
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: all day breakfast, Annie May, Birds vs Worms, chairkicker, def from above, douchechill, dreamshake, Eyeball Kid, gallits, gashed, goofy's dead wife, Grey Poupon, hansibansix, hilbert, jalapeño ranch, junglejim, Kaputt, kid8, KPH, lockheed, Lucky, marble, mattstan, Milk, murderhorn, mynamerocks, naturemorte, Night porter, Poptone, Repo, resum, sappho, shacky, shirts optional, Sissy Spacerock, spaghetti legs, spix et chicho, Subbacultcha, sunrise, THB, tick, trampoline, Vaneigem, Zurich