Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby shacky » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:23 am

i had the don don because it only finally don don'd me what the backing vocals were saying

shacky

Postby shacky » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:24 am

this is somehow all the fault of the wonder years

shacky

Postby sniplets » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 am

shacky wrote:no i think i thought that joe cocker was paying homage to the beatles by alluding to their original by borrowing the title and maybe one or two other lines in the verse but that it was otherwise a totally different and new song

which idk i mean it's a pretty radical rearranging right...mb?

I thought the same for a long time, too. At least a few years after the Wonder Years had ended.

sniplets

Postby shacky » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:44 am

man i gotta binge the freakin wonder years

shacky

Postby tiger » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:13 am

this is a 2017 don, but I was reminiscing on how i abandoned my 'teach english overseas' plan right around the same time i was tasked with explaining (for the online class) why the future tense in english is only denoted by phrasing rather than any specific words, and then wondering if that had a bigger impact on the way i communicate than not having had any meaningful grammar lessons since middle school

tiger

Postby brittle » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:50 am

sniplets wrote:
shacky wrote:no i think i thought that joe cocker was paying homage to the beatles by alluding to their original by borrowing the title and maybe one or two other lines in the verse but that it was otherwise a totally different and new song

which idk i mean it's a pretty radical rearranging right...mb?

I thought the same for a long time, too. At least a few years after the Wonder Years had ended.

i definitely remember looking through my parents' records and discovering it was a beatles song. i fucking loved the cocker version, but never had any way to listen to it outside of wonder years reruns.

anyways i put the beatles record on and cranked it, excited that i could listen to it whenever i wanted, and a few bars in was like, "what the fuck this sucks" i think i might have turned it off before it finished.

brittle

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:46 pm

A thread about the 90s PC game Myst made a playful mention of the point of the game to solve small... Mysteries.

I hadn't ever put that together.
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

PayPal: paypal.me/binspace because I am a very broke person and maybe you are not?

buriedinspace

Postby guy forget » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:03 pm

yeah i had the same don don
VHGisdead wrote:speaking of deemster vape pens

guy forget

Postby neck » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:43 pm

i too experienced that don don.

neck

Postby tiger » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:44 pm

myst was also a subtle 'do-it-yourself' don to the world since it was made with hypercard, a programming interface so intuitive that a restauranteur was able to make his own payments system in a weekend after being scared that his two hired programmers wouldn't finish on time

so i was re-reading parts of psychic soviet and ian is careful to say that none of the book's content should be strictly considered as true, yet here is his pic upfront, implying a sort of "yes this is what I really think," swearing on his own neon pink mini-book? 'seinfeld syndrome' is a total don.

tiger

Postby joe » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Having the myst don right now

joe

Postby blackbetty » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:33 am

volvo= "i roll"

blackbetty

Postby quinine » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:30 pm

trek don:

those things on the sides of shuttlecraft aren't just landing skids, they're cute lil baby nacelles

Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby worrywort » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:08 am

worm/vermin

worrywort

Postby warmhouse » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:19 am

re: Beatles covers, it was VERY strange to hear Getting Better on Sgt. Peppers for the first time at like 17 and realise I had been hearing that song my whole life:

warmhouse

Postby Buddy Knox » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:04 am

Daniel Clamp in Gremlins 2 is a parody of 80s Trump. How did I not get this?

Buddy Knox

Postby Gutslab » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:25 am

Does don don'd mean dawned on?

Gutslab

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:31 am

Gutslab wrote:Does don don'd mean dawned on?

:twisted:
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby hbb » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:42 am

Gutslab wrote:Does don don'd mean dawned on?

What in the world is “dawned on”?
hbb

Postby Mesh » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:34 am

Buddy Knox wrote:Daniel Clamp in Gremlins 2 is a parody of 80s Trump. How did I not get this?

Red Letter Media donned this don
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby Buddy Knox » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:53 am

Mesh wrote:
Buddy Knox wrote:Daniel Clamp in Gremlins 2 is a parody of 80s Trump. How did I not get this?

Red Letter Media donned this don

Yep! My roommate was watching their video on Gremlins 2 last night and when I heard it, it blew my mind.

Buddy Knox

Postby something sensible if » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:15 pm

"black mirror" is your phone/tv screen when it's not turned on
something sensible if

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:48 pm

never seen walking dead but i've seen pics of norman reedus enough (plus death stranding stuff) and i was surprised just now realizing he's one of the 2 guys in boondock saints (which i haven't seen since i was a teenager). i can def picture both but his vibe seems so different it still doesn't quite register
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Lil Gugger » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:56 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:never seen walking dead but i've seen pics of norman reedus enough (plus death stranding stuff) and i was surprised just now realizing he's one of the 2 guys in boondock saints (which i haven't seen since i was a teenager). i can def picture both but his vibe seems so different it still doesn't quite register

This is killing me. I've been kinda following the death stranding stuff and have been truly weirded out by the bizarre character model they chose for the protagonist and to see it's actually a real person bwaaaahhhhh

Lil Gugger

Postby quinine » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:05 pm

In episode "The Boy Who Knew Too Much[", Skinner] tracked Bart across Springfield (even climbing a cliff and walking straight through a river after Bart cut the rope bridge over it) to get him back to class. Bart, upon seeing this, gives us [the line "He's like some kind of…non-giving-up school guy."] (The joke being that he was set up to say "Invincible Principal.")

((apparently this sequence is widely regarded as a spoof of westworld (1973) which I haven't seen, to the extent that multiple people have convinced themselves this walking-through-a-river scene was in the movie despite that not being the case. I always read it as a terminator spoof and figured the joke was just that he didn't say "terminator".))

quinine
ok

Postby brittle » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:17 pm

King Zog has that little antenna on his crown because he's voiced by the same actor that voiced Bender

brittle

Postby quinine » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:53 pm

quinine
ok

Postby Spooky Jim » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:49 am

In "Mary Provost" by Nick Lowe, the part where he says

"hungry eyes that could not speak
said even little doggies have gotta eat" -

the hungry eyes are those of Mary's dogs. The line is implying that the cops looked at the dogs and saw the hunger in the dogs' own eyes among the eaten corpse. I always knew what the song was about but that line always left me wondering "who the hell has hungry eyes and why are they talking about the dogs?" I thought it was supposed to be the public who were hungry for a tabloid celebrity sensation story or something.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby joe » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:00 am

quinine wrote:
In episode "The Boy Who Knew Too Much[", Skinner] tracked Bart across Springfield (even climbing a cliff and walking straight through a river after Bart cut the rope bridge over it) to get him back to class. Bart, upon seeing this, gives us [the line "He's like some kind of…non-giving-up school guy."] (The joke being that he was set up to say "Invincible Principal.")

((apparently this sequence is widely regarded as a spoof of westworld (1973) which I haven't seen, to the extent that multiple people have convinced themselves this walking-through-a-river scene was in the movie despite that not being the case. I always read it as a terminator spoof and figured the joke was just that he didn't say "terminator".))

Back when I thought it was a Terminator parody, I assumed Bart was supposed to say "some kind of machine"

joe

Postby Kenny » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:09 am

I always thought the joke was that Bart just couldn't think of a good name and just gave up
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....