Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby brittle » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:31 pm

The Great British Mistake and Great British Baking Show are lazy puns on Great Brittan.

I know.... I know :|

brittle

Postby theta » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 pm

buzzfeed quizzes are market research
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.

gothical storm
theta

Postby inmate » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:44 pm

did not realize e.b. white was a dude until hearing conan talk about him on his podcast. i always pictured an old lady when i heard that name

inmate

Postby Autarch » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:56 pm

theta wrote:buzzfeed quizzes are market research

holy shit

Autarch

Postby winjer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:14 pm

inmate wrote:did not realize e.b. white was a dude until hearing conan talk about him on his podcast. i always pictured an old lady when i heard that name

shit

winjer

Postby brittle » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:35 pm

inmate wrote:did not realize e.b. white was a dude until hearing conan talk about him on his podcast. i always pictured an old lady when i heard that name

My Don was from the same episode

brittle

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:48 pm

Halloween don; witches hat look like pilgrims hat because of the Salem witch associations.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby Coca Cola » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:45 pm

That seems like a false don maybe? Pilgrim hats aren’t even pointy are they?

Coca Cola

Postby badhat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:07 am

its worse than that

One theory is that the image arose out of anti-Semitism: in 1215, the Fourth Council of the Lateran issued an edict that all Jews must wear identifying headgear, a pointed cap known as a Judenhat. Potentially, this style of hat then became associated with black magic, Satan-worship and other acts of which the Jews were accused.[1]
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby John Dark » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:34 am

Film don. The ceramic kangaroo that Bruce Willis' watch is on in the movie Pulp Fiction is a boxing kangaroo because his character is a boxer.
Now here is the lake. And I still haven't changed.

John Dark

Postby Viz » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:59 pm

It's easy to remember which way the greater than or less than sign points cause its a mouth going towards the bigger number.
Viz

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:01 pm

you labor in a laboratory

(thanks monster mash)
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby sniplets » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:06 pm

Viz wrote:It's easy to remember which way the greater than or less than sign points cause its a mouth going towards the bigger number.

That's how they taught us in grade school, the crocodile eats the largest of the two.

sniplets

Postby shacky » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:you labor in a laboratory

(thanks monster mash)

shouldn't there be a British word spelled labouratory in that case

shacky

Postby two birds one gug » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:33 pm

Ides of Smarch wrote:Shears (the tool) are named for the type of stress (shear stress) they impose on whatever is being cut. Cool

Are you sure it's not the opposite?

two birds one gug
Site Admin

Postby quinine » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:46 pm

brittle wrote:The Great British Mistake and Great British Baking Show are lazy puns on Great Brittan.

I know.... I know :|

um aren't these just straightforward descriptions of the thing in question

quinine
ok

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:02 pm

And what is Great Brittan?

That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:03 pm

sniplets wrote:
Viz wrote:It's easy to remember which way the greater than or less than sign points cause its a mouth going towards the bigger number.

That's how they taught us in grade school, the crocodile eats the largest of the two.

It's an alligator here in AMERICA

That Demon Life

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:04 pm

winjer wrote:

shit

Definitely thought it was a woman too.

That Demon Life

Postby sniplets » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:35 pm

That Demon Life wrote:
sniplets wrote:

It's an alligator here in AMERICA

Texas hasn't seceded yet

sniplets

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:29 pm

Just realized that the term "getting shit-faced" originated from people getting so hammered they end up face down in a toilet. Never really processed the term I guess.

potentialgetawaydriver

Postby Swelling Itching Brain » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:08 am

I think that might be a false don but it lead me to this article which has some great language
https://slate.com/culture/2011/04/sh-t-faced-a-brief-history-of-the-word.html

Shit’s rich history reaches back to Old Norse skita, and by Chaucer’s time a romance like Kyng Alisaunder could speak of wondrous snakes in the exotic East, where “the addres shiteth preciouse stones.” A 1641 treatise addresses a braggart as “thou cracking shit-fire,” and one 1766 dictionary entertainingly lists everything from shit-abed and shit-breech to shittenly and shittle-come-shites. Personally, I’d like to see that last one make a comeback.

Actually, the shittle in shittle-come-shites hints at a complication, because while shites is pretty much what you’d think, shittle is not. Shit history is full false cognates like shittle—which proves to be related to shuttle, in the sense of inconstancy. That’s why a 1448 letter-writer could worry that “I am aferd that Jon of Sparham is so schyttyl wyttyd.” The same root later meant you could play badminton with a shittlecock. (This 1797 report of a Chinese “game of shittlecock… [played] with the sole of the foot” appears to be an early description of hacky-sack.) Even more shit gets slung around by chit, from the same root as kit or kitten—while another derivation from to shut accounts for a c. 1415 sermon’s curious exhortation to “shitt þe gates of heven.”

Victorian lexicographers, as you might expect, present almost gingerbreadlike ornamentations upon shit. An 1857 dictionary features shitesticks and shiterags (both meaning a miser) and the delightful “exclamation of contempt” shittletidee, while a 1875 study notes the institution of Shit-Sack-Day, which seems to involve apples. Shit-Sack-Day, by the way, falls on May 29. I trust you will not confuse it with Shitten Saturday, which is another occasion altogether.
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH

Swelling Itching Brain

Postby mission » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:24 am

Not so recent but one that still metaphorically blushes my cheeks: that Charles and Ray Eames were a wife and husband team.
Good.

mission

Postby tarantula » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:34 am

just this halloween, at age 44, i realized that the injunction "trick or treat" is meant as "you, homeowner, have two options: 1. get a trick from us, e.g., shitting on yr doorstep, or 2. giving us treat

as a kid i always thought declaring "trick or treat" was a question to the homeowner, like, "are you going to trick us, e.g., throw a bucket of water in our faces, or give us a treat"

this early misperception elucidates the source of a lot of problems i've had in life

tarantula

Postby mission » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:41 am

The Volatile Mermaid pointed out that “Trick or Treat?” Is probably a question Sarah Palin asked herself when naming a child.
Good.

mission

Postby Coca Cola » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:20 am

That’s kind of counter-intuitive though, as normally the larger item would be eating the smaller one. Better way to remember it is simply as a skewed equals sign where the gap between the lines is greater on one end and lesser on the other

Coca Cola

Postby defective » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:03 pm

dollar bill is pastor tim. :shock:

defective

Postby badhat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:22 pm

Coca Cola wrote:

That’s kind of counter-intuitive though, as normally the larger item would be eating the smaller one. Better way to remember it is simply as a skewed equals sign where the gap between the lines is greater on one end and lesser on the other

i have never gotten why this one is tough for people

just think of an equals "=" sign as connecting the size of the two things. parallel lines means theyre equal. "<" and ">" are just using the same convention to say one side is larger than the other, abd the side where lines are furtherapart- where the distance between the top and bottom end point is larger- is the larger amount.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

badhat

Postby hbb » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:37 pm

I look at it as the quantity on the left having to either diminish or expand to equal the one on the right
hbb

Postby brittle » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:58 pm

I always had an easy grasp on the concept, but once I learned the alligator cheat, I adopted it right away cuz it was instantly recognizable

brittle

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....