Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:18 pm

lefthandshake wrote:bougie educated white ladies still know what samplers are. etsy is lousy with them.

i don't think this is a sampler. it's just needlework. i think a sampler is supposed to be a "sample" of your skills -- which is why they all have alphabets and stuff on them.

Julius Sumner Miller

Postby lefthandshake » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:53 am

that's what most of the results are like when you search etsy for "sampler," but the broadening of the definition isn't the point. the whitman's sampler reference is still perfectly understandable these days and doesn't need to be updated to a vision board per lil gugger.

lefthandshake

Postby Lil Gugger » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:41 am

Do you also go around referring to miniskirts as evening gowns? You not understanding what a sampler is, and pointing out the majority of Etsy users not understanding what a sampler is, and it's inclusion in the thread in the first place, pretty well illustrates my stupid joke post.

Lil Gugger

Postby Lil Gugger » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:01 am

Whitman's would make so much money with a vision board, maybe it isn't such a stupid joke. They'd have to sell it at targets instead of CVS though.

Lil Gugger

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:31 am

This seems like a worthwhile argument.

That Demon Life

Postby Lil Gugger » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:07 am

That Demon Life wrote:This seems like a worthwhile argument.

Are you very sure you don't need an essay on the classist/racist history of needlework samplers and the colonial revival marketing strategies of a chocolate company and how that could be poorly tied into modern wellness marketing for the sake of *head exploded*

Lil Gugger

Postby i_am_agriculture » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:58 pm

This has probably already been covered but the definition of shipping is “ships considered collectively”

i_am_agriculture

Postby quinine » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:23 pm

the title of

is a reference to voice-controlled computer interfaces from scifi (I was thinking star trek originally but apparently it's hitchhiker's guide, same diff really).

and

brings the reference full-circle
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby warmhouse » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:12 am

^That's probably right, but I also wonder if Google did Ok Google because Apple already had "Hey Siri" and there's not much else you can say, right? It has to be an easy phrase that won't accidentally start the machine but doesn't come up in conversation often.

warmhouse

Postby quinine » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:27 am

true, and it's probably just as likely google was referencing hitchhiker too. tho it's been ages since I read it so I'm not sure if the phrase is actually used in quite that sense; starting a sentence with "ok [subject]" is grammatically nonsensical in context of the initial statement of a conversation so I kind of doubt it wasn't in reference to something specific. pretty sure the astronauts say "okay hal" at some point in 2001. but i don't see any reason they couldn't have just used "hey google"

quinine
ok

Postby quinine » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:29 am

I think amazon just uses "Alexa," on it's own right

quinine
ok

Postby banquo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:45 am

quinine wrote:but i don't see any reason they couldn't have just used "hey google"

both 'hey google' and 'ok google' are their two default "wake words." Ok google also reinforces positive branding.

quinine wrote:starting a sentence with "ok [subject]" is grammatically nonsensical in context of the initial statement of a conversation

I hadn't thought of this as a regional thing, so I thought it was fairly common in this context. if you had a personal assistant without work to do & just waiting to help, it wouldn't be strange to say "ok (their name), I've got a new job for you" - or "ok (their name), look this up for me." it's probably more polite than using "hey." alternatively, if you had a really tough question for someone acting a little too smart you'd say "ok (wise guy), how about this one.."

banquo

Postby Viz » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:38 am

It's actually a don-don for me that you could read OK Computer like that.

I've always read it as "It's not great, but its an OK computer."
Viz

Postby brittle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:21 pm

yeah, i always read it like a play on unintentionally charming, lost in translation, cross cultural marketing/branding.

like:

brittle

Postby quinine » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Viz wrote:It's actually a don-don for me that you could read OK Computer like that.

I've always read it as "It's not great, but its an OK computer."

yeah I mean that was the original don that I came in here to post, the google stuff is just something else that occurred to me while I was looking into it

and @banquo, I think grammatically that still only works in those contexts because the "ok" is acknowledging a prior statement or an external situation (your assistant's lack of work). I guess it more or less works the same way if you conceptualize your voice commands as part of an indefinitely ongoing conversation with your virtual assistant, even tho that's not the reality of how they function . ofc I’m not trying to argue that usage can't evolve

quinine
ok

Postby brittle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:30 pm

but yeah, quinine's right on:
The title OK Computer is taken from the 1978 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series, in which the character Zaphod Beeblebrox speaks the phrase "Okay, computer, I want full manual control now." The members of Radiohead listened to the series on the bus during their 1996 tour and Yorke made a note of the phrase.[45] "OK Computer" became a working title for the B-side "Palo Alto", which had been considered for inclusion on the album.[97] The title stuck with the band; according to Jonny Greenwood, it "started attaching itself and creating all these weird resonances with what we were trying to do".[50]

Yorke said the title "refers to embracing the future, it refers to being terrified of the future, of our future, of everyone else's. It's to do with standing in a room where all these appliances are going off and all these machines and computers and so on ... and the sound it makes."[55] He described the title as "a really resigned, terrified phrase", to him similar to the Coca-Cola advertisement "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing".[50] Wired writer Leander Kahney suggests that it is an homage to Macintosh computers, as the Mac's speech recognition software responds to the command "OK computer" as an alternative to clicking the "OK" button.[98] Other titles considered were Ones and Zeroes—a reference to the binary numeral system—and Your Home May Be at Risk If You Do Not Keep Up Payments.[97]

brittle

Postby quinine » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:35 pm

like if you walked into the office at 9am and just said "ok steven, I'd like you to review the samsonite files" I think you'd come off like

quinine
ok

Postby quinine » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:11 pm

wow Your Home May Be at Risk If You Do Not Keep Up Payments is also a great title tho

quinine
ok

Postby Ted Pikul » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:24 am

the "watery tarts dispensing swords" line from monty python is a joke about how tarts are too soggy if they aren't cooked right

this don don brought to you by the great British bake off
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Mesh » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:the "watery tarts dispensing swords" line from monty python is a joke about how tarts are too soggy if they aren't cooked right

this don don brought to you by the great British bake off

Wait, you mean in addition to it being a joke about the Lady of the Lake, who provides Excalibur to the chosen kind of England or however that goes?
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby Ted Pikul » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Yeah tart is a double entendre
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Mesh » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:52 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:Yeah tart is a double entendre

Huh, ok.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby gauchebag » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:56 pm

so what about "moistened bint" in the next line? lobbing scimitars
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun

gauchebag

Postby Ted Pikul » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Paul hollywood: you've got a soggy bottom
Mary Berry: it's a beautiful flavor but no basis for a system of government

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby deadbass » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Calling foul on that don don. Tart is slang for prostitute in Britain.

deadbass

Postby hbb » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:45 pm

But then what about that song that’s like

Watery tart, watery tart, watery tart, watery tart
He’s a music man
He’s a what?
hbb

Postby wintergreen » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 pm

dexter is the opposite of sinister.

wintergreen

Postby Coca Cola » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:05 am

Ppl on Twitter are apparently shocked to learn the broiler part of the oven has a purpose. They’ve been storing their pots and pans in their, of course, and they all swear that they checked and theirs actually is just a drawer, lol. Which would be a pretty silly design feature if it were true. Tiny hot pot drawer under the oven.

Coca Cola

Postby deadbass » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:43 am

It is just a drawer in many ovens though. I think I’ve only ever seen one that could be warmed, and it’s only a broiler for some gas ovens.

deadbass

Postby garbiel » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:45 am

Coca Cola wrote:Ppl on Twitter are apparently shocked to learn the broiler part of the oven has a purpose. They’ve been storing their pots and pans in their, of course, and they all swear that they checked and theirs actually is just a drawer, lol. Which would be a pretty silly design feature if it were true. Tiny hot pot drawer under the oven.

:o

garbiel

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....