Obvious things that recently Don Don'd you

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby broodstar » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:29 am

Kenny wrote:That wiki led me to the dondon that paneer is the Hindi/Urdu word for "cheese" so paneer cheese is cheese cheese like "chai tea" is tea tea

No one says paneer cheese surely

broodstar

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 am

I dunno, I'm not really invested in that, I just didn't realize that paneer was the word for cheese.

You don't see it on menus, it usually just says "with paneer" but I don't think there's any big phobia of saying "paneer cheese" in conversation.
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT]

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

My videogame collection on Backloggery

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby garbiel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:41 am

ha ha paneer
mactheo wrote:look: i don't understand

garbiel

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:42 am

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Spooky Jim » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:27 pm

joe wrote:I'll say in Brazil I was always told to say whiskey not x/cheese

Which makes sense since the Brazilian "x" focuses more on the fricative sound of "ch" and "z" and mutes the long "e" vowel sound.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby grayfox » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:51 pm

My coworkers were talking about how Texas homes don't have basements because of the soil shifting or something. And it later clicked that Pee Wee's bike being in the basement of the Alamo made even less sense than it already did.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby La Abeja » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:54 pm

Kenny wrote:That wiki led me to the dondon that paneer is the Hindi/Urdu word for "cheese" so paneer cheese is cheese cheese like "chai tea" is tea tea

swear it's been posted here but love to picnic at the "The Tar" tar pits.

Fear is an illusion!

La Abeja

Postby i am rich » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:55 pm

let the fools have their tar tar sauce

i am rich

Postby pure white soul tendency » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:57 pm

grayfox wrote:My coworkers were talking about how Texas homes don't have basements because of the soil shifting or something. And it later clicked that Pee Wee's bike being in the basement of the Alamo made even less sense than it already did.

yeah this is part of the joke lol but also

helloppl wrote:More tribal bullshit. Guess what I'm Roman catholic. U think I give a flying cookie what some forum dweeb thinks of me? I look up to men that pray 14 hrs a day. I forgot the secular humanists are the only ones who get to enjoy Hollywood "entertainments".

pure white soul tendency

Postby i am rich » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:59 pm

wow thats a big one

i am rich

Postby Marza » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:18 am

don clarification needed:

the phrase carrot and stick... i'd always assumed the stick was used to hit people with, but is it actually just the stick that's holding up the carrot?

Marza

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:27 am

Marza wrote:don clarification needed:

the phrase carrot and stick... i'd always assumed the stick was used to hit people with, but is it actually just the stick that's holding up the carrot?

Nah it's to hit people. It's soft vs hard power.

That Demon Life

Postby Marza » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:31 am

then what's going on here

Marza

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:34 am

I think "carrot and the stick" is like the two different ways to movitate somebody, and it comes from that second picture. You can either give them the carrot of being nice to them or you can whip them into shape with the stick.

The fact that there's also the carrot tied to the stick thing is just a confusing side thing.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby gug » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:37 am

Carrot on a stick n stick

gug
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:43 am

you can still whack the donkey with the stick holding the carrot

Frank

Postby gug » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:45 am

I'm not sure which requires more coordination but we're getting a little overconfident about our relationship with this donkey imo

gug
Site Admin

Postby Marza » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:03 am

I'm even LESS certain now

Marza

Postby ahalfhourago » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:11 am

Carrot

ahalfhourago

Postby gug » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:29 am

So this online rando insists the carrot attached to the stick is the original and "correct" meaning of the phrase (show me why)

https://www.unknown.nu/misc/carrot.html

But as always, if you admit that hardly anybody uses it with that meaning anymore, it doesn't mean what you insist it should and you're being a dinglebear

gug
Site Admin

Postby dragon jeans » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:39 am

i feel like the carrot doesn't have to (shouldn't?) be on a stick, it just often is depicted as such for some reason. i guess it's telling that our most popular depiction of positive motivation is actually just a cruel trick meant to provide the illusion of the possibility of a positive outcome for the worker.

dragon jeans

Postby ahalfhourago » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:49 am

yeah and that like it will never become real because it'll always be dangling in front of you, always just slightly out of reach.

ahalfhourago

Postby Mesh » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:34 am

dragon jeans wrote:i feel like the carrot doesn't have to (shouldn't?) be on a stick, it just often is depicted as such for some reason. i guess it's telling that our most popular depiction of positive motivation is actually just a cruel trick meant to provide the illusion of the possibility of a positive outcome for the worker.

Plus, if the worker ever did get the "positive outcome" carrot, the worker would be consuming its benefits by doing work.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby hbb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:56 am

The carrot doesn’t have to be on a stick, that’s just a sight gag

It’s an idiom about motivating with fear and discipline vs. motivating with promises and rewards

At least that’s my take
hbb

Postby hbb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:58 am

Like the carrot on a string hanging from a stick is just a funny idea that got looped into the idiom because of the stick association. The person offering one or the other doesn’t even have to be on the donkey.
hbb

Postby hbb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:01 am

When someone commits an atrocity, they often identify them in the press by their full name including middle name—I guess this is to make it less likely that it will be the same name that other people go by?
hbb

Postby hbb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:01 am

(That’s an unrelated Don Don btw)
hbb

Postby Mesh » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:03 am

I have always wondered how old this illustration on this Tortoise single is and where it came from: https://www.discogs.com/Tortoise-Loneso ... ase/117930
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby Hal Jordan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:23 am

i always understood it as "carrot on a stick", it never crossed my mind that the carrot and stick were two separate thinkgs/motivations. and the carrot on the stick is like the picture shows - hold it in front of a donkey to get it to keep walking, it's about motivating someone through false or illusory promises of rewards
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.

Hal Jordan

Postby Hal Jordan » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:23 am

kinda blowing my mind that ppl think it's carrot AND stick and two different forms of motivation and not just one thing
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.

Hal Jordan

PreviousNext

Return to Poster's Paradise