Darjeeling
Isle of Dogs

Tier 4:
Life Aquatic
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby manvstrees » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:36 am

the hell
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.

manvstrees

Postby chairkicker » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:41 am

i'm a sucker for the water and jacques cousteau so life aquatic is tier 1 for me

chairkicker

Postby Skerple » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:57 am

anyone else got Moonrise in their top tier?
Not Recommended
The Development team made one crucial error. They entered into the game an automatic sentry gun called a "Puckle."

Skerple

Postby landspeedrecord » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:49 pm

it appears winjer does

not a huge wes anderson fan, but seeing the trailer for the french dispatch on the big screen kinda knocked my socks off. regardless of quality, it certainly looks like the ne plus ultra of his style. I'm actually gonna need to see this one, aren't I?

10/22 is a stacked day at the cinema in the states assuming it still shakes out like it's supposed to

jackass 4, dune, last night in soho, & the french dispatch

bonkers
Last edited by landspeedrecord on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby winjer » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:52 pm

landspeedrecord wrote:it appears winjer does

yeah

winjer

Postby inmate » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:08 pm

moonrise kingdom is my #1 and one of my favorite movies of all time. it was also my introduction to wes anderson and the only reason i wanted to see it was because i was 12 and a huge bill murray fan. thought it was alright at the time but rewatched it twice a couple years later and it clicked as his most melancholy and beautiful film to me idk. it's also the only one i've ever seen more than once

inmate

Postby came to wreck » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:25 pm

dang i feel old now

came to wreck

Postby inmate » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:29 pm

making people feel old is what keeps me young

inmate

Postby becky » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:35 am

Royal tenanbaums and life aquatic are my favorites. Former is perfect, latter has flaws but I love it anyway. The rest are probably on about mostly equal footing, then isle of dogs and Darjeeling firmly on the bottom

becky

Postby grayfox » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:22 am

deadwolfbones wrote:Tier 1:
Rushmore
Mr. Fox

Tier 2:
Tenenbaums
Grand Budapest
Bottle Rocket

Tier 3:
Moonrise Kingdom
Darjeeling
Isle of Dogs

Tier 4:
Life Aquatic

very similar to mine, i'd drop moonrise down a tier. aquatic is by far the worst for me

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby winjer » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:35 am

rushmore

moonrise
tenenbaums

bottle rocket
darjeeling
aquatic

fox
budapest

dogs

winjer

Postby naturemorte » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:39 pm

saw this today and while it is not entirely without its charms (mainly, Jeffrey Wright), the second section, a may 68 pastiche, is truly horrid and reactionary.
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro

naturemorte

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:49 pm

Rushmore and Tenenbaums at the top for me. I really related to how much they hated their dad, although it was also a nice tale of reconciliation and I always appreciated how hard Royal tried to make things right in his own way, even if it was still steeped in his cartoonish narcissism

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby odilon redon » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:50 pm

what do people not like about grand budapest?
I look at bluegrass music as this sort of glowing ball. The point is to relax the technique around the glowing ball of feeling.

odilon redon

Postby bluemovers » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:16 pm

looks like we're screening all of his films and premiering the new one at MoMA for any interested NYCers

may be a good idea for some of you to attend so you can correct your atrocious ranking lists

bluemovers

Postby easy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:25 pm

odilon redon wrote:what do people not like about grand budapest?

well it stinks for one thing

easy
does it

Postby traced out » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:45 pm

it's not bad just kind of an inconsequential movie

i can remember some nice shots and vaguely remember people scurrying around, but i barely remember the plot and i only saw it a few years ago, whereas i can more precisely remember some of his older movies having not seen them for a decade

traced out

Postby easy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:06 pm

yeah there’s a ton of scurrying in that one

it’s probably his scurriest movie

easy
does it

Postby hbb » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:08 pm

What about Isle of Scurrydogs
hbb

Postby easy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:08 pm

:)

easy
does it

Postby tgk » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:19 pm

For some reason as an old man fantastic mr fox is so much more enjoyable for me than it was 12 years ago when I was bitter (why?) he made a lighter kid friendly movie.

tgk

Postby Patchouli Jim » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:04 am

naturemorte wrote:saw this today and while it is not entirely without its charms (mainly, Jeffrey Wright), the second section, a may 68 pastiche, is truly horrid and reactionary.

Isn’t Wes Anderson a Ron Paul guy?
I know him presenting reactionary views to May 68 doesn’t represent this, but he is in general an example of Texas horseshoe theory. And normally his work is, at least at face value, A-political, and so all his ideology is just filtered through aesthetics, which are always backwards facing and retrospective, because he believes in a greater past, like Southern whites yearning for the antebellum.
I was thinking about how being an “indie kid” in the late 90s and early 2000s was so tied up in elitist aesthetics. The Strokes essentially and Purposely branding themselves as “Prep school velvet underground” and all of Wes Anderson’s films being about quirky rich people both encapsulate that perfectly and show why they captured the zeitgeist of that culture at that time so well. But also even, how I used to think I was “cool” because I had esoteric tastes in music, and only wore old clothes. The fact that Lacoste, an emblem of 80s prep ware, was so popular then though it was supposedly an ironic, also is a pretty good indication. How ironic was it?
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby Patchouli Jim » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:32 pm

Oh yeah I had more I was gonna say but I’ve been so busy.
I read the Air Conditioned Nightmare by Henry Miller last year, and it was the only thing I’ve ever read by him, but he comes off as a total self-important pretentious prick, who actually has nothing important or interesting to say, but presents himself as if he was the most important and interesting person ever.
Anyway, the book for those who don’t know, it is Miller touring America for the first time in decades after his many years in France, and him talking about how much America sucks and France rules. But then again, he ends up talking about a bunch of stuff he actually likes about America. What he hates are white northerners, whom he thinks are essentially Homo Domesticus, essentially a beaten and drab branch of humanity who just want all the boring trappings of American suburban life. But he praises: impoverished Native Americans and Black Americans, in a noble savage “oh they are salt of the earth people, fighting tooth and nail to survive, and are ‘real people’ because they suffer.” Who he holds in highest praise though are rich white southern dandy men, many of whom he devotes entire chapters to, and equates them to being the last remnants of Renaissance Men. He even speculates at one point of what greatness they could have achieved had slavery never been abolished. But he loves all the stupid chivalrous, “high” culture shit that rich white southerns draped themselves in to distance and insulate themselves from the brutality and misery of their affluence in a slave society (and were able to do because of all the free time they had from not having to labor). But Miller ate that shit up!
So what’s this got to do with Wes Anderson? I feel he sort of has a similar, though not as explicitly stated, idea of “great men.”
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby Skerple » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Patchouli Jim wrote:Isn’t Wes Anderson a Ron Paul guy?

intrigued but I've never heard anything about that
Not Recommended
The Development team made one crucial error. They entered into the game an automatic sentry gun called a "Puckle."

Skerple

Postby Patchouli Jim » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:07 am

This was almost 20 years ago, but I remember seeing some article like “10 conservatives in the Film industry” and Wes Anderson was listed but they stated he wasn’t a Bush conservative but a Ron Paul supporter.

Patchouli Jim

Postby odilon redon » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:39 am

traced out wrote:it's not bad just kind of an inconsequential movie

i can remember some nice shots and vaguely remember people scurrying around, but i barely remember the plot and i only saw it a few years ago, whereas i can more precisely remember some of his older movies having not seen them for a decade

plots don't matter though! idk i think it's his most gorgeous looking thing even if not really emotionally resonant at all
I look at bluegrass music as this sort of glowing ball. The point is to relax the technique around the glowing ball of feeling.

odilon redon

Postby OKterrific » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:53 am

googling Wes Anderson Politics and discovering that people tried to turn Isle of Dogs into a Resist movie lol
mcwop23 wrote:no need for lame earnest dad posts

OKterrific
our rachel maddow

Postby The Fool on the Hill » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:15 pm

Grand Budapest rules and is quintessential Wes. I find this 7-second shot more emotionally affecting than many whole movies:

The Fool on the Hill

Postby delgriffith » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:57 pm

yeah if it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you so whatever, but it's deeply emotionally resonant... to me

delgriffith

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone