Wes Anderson

Let's talk hats

Postby animefilm » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:29 pm

Despite how meticulous Wes Anderson is on all other aspects of set-craft, shooting on film, stop motion etc, I was surprised how much lower his standard is for 2D animation. I find it hard to believe he doesn't have an eye to discern between the hyper digital / 3D look of those segments and animation that is of the time period that the film takes place.

He could have easily done it 'right', by hiring good animators, shooting the animation on film in post, etc. The corner cutting, gives it the same quality as a TV animation production.

I can think of a few examples like these, that feel like much more quality work in terms of the era they are trying to evoke.

As a fan of animation, it was jarring to walk out after a Wes Anderson film thinking that I could have done better. Of all directors, Wes Anderson has all the resources at his disposal to have done something great

animefilm

Postby Drinky » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:51 pm

I thought the animation looked great and in some ways did feel like a nod to 60s/70s animation, but what do I know.

I love Cuphead and all, but it's more a nod to 1930s/ early 40s

Drinky

Postby barbara_h » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:41 pm

I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the Tintin animated tv series

barbara_h

Postby auspice » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:44 pm

I walked out of French Dispatch, I think I burned the last of my brain’s Wes receptors with Isle of Dogs. I just can’t take the lack of any real stakes with his movies, they feel too empty now.
Joker wrote:"I'm pooping and peeing and I love it!"

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby Aeris » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:48 pm

How do his movies not have stakes or depth

Am I just an idiot (very likely) but beyond the aedthetics they constantly make me laugh and cry and what else do people want from him

Aeris

Postby auspice » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:53 pm

oh I had a few chuckles, I guess if I had to phrase it with respect to his obvious talents as a filmmaker it's that they just feel over-prepared at the expense of the kind of storytelling I find to be interesting. it's like you're looking at a series of works acting as museum pieces versus real narratives. and then add on layers of overly same-y dialogue and incessantly quirky music and it just results in a kind of misophonic hell for me.

I also think he could greatly benefit from not having virtually everyone in his cast be a recognizable star, which remains incredibly distracting when it's done to the extent he did with this one. I'm definitely a fool for willingly going into the Wes Anderson anthology experience when I've already been having issues with his approach to feature-length narratives since Budapest.

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby auspice » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:55 pm

in brief, when this much effort going into maintaining the same aesthetic approach in his movies it feels like it comes at the expense of everything else I would otherwise enjoy in a movie from him. but I haven't rewatched Royal Tenenbaums in a long time so idk if seeing that again would net the same result for me.

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby Aeris » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:59 pm

I mean I haven't seen anything since Budapest I just in general do not under why he has this kind of rep when when Bottle Rocket to Tenenbaums are all so moving to me
Like I hate that SpongeBob meme a cpl pages back
I might Haye this movie tho I dunno

Aeris

Postby Aeris » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:00 pm

I can't understand people who didn't tear up at "it's been a rough year, dad"

Aeris

Postby auspice » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:15 pm

I just desperately want him to shake up his routine and do something totally different both in terms of narrative and his approach to aesthetics but that just wouldn't be a Wes Anderson film then, would it?!

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby auspice » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:16 pm

tsargaritaville wrote:5/5

lol

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby auspice » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:18 pm

I guess I'll just say portraying prison and life/death sentences with the quirky Wes Anderson schtick was an artistic decision that burned me out a bit too quickly to want to stick around for the rest of the film. I left in the middle of Chalamet's story.

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby animefilm » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:48 pm

I was talking about the animation technique, not the style. Instead of emulating or simply using the format of the time period, he went and used 3D animation and a hyper digital pipeline

animefilm

Postby Drinky » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:37 pm

It would have been exponentially more expensive to really do that sequence traditionally. Apparently a team of 15 people did this over the course of 2 months which seems really fast. My feeling while watching it was that it seemed like a much cheaper way of pulling off that sequence than doing it with live action, but I found myself enjoying it anyway.

I don't know anything about their actual pipeline in creating this, but some of the backgrounds and the vehicles seemed to be CG, and the characters had the feeling of digital tweening and some 2D digital "puppeteering" (not sure the technical term, but where there are sort of 2D character rigs that are partially animated in post, like what's used on Archer). It looked like it was made on a budget, BUT I thought the design and direction were great. So I don't know, I guess I can see why you'd complain about this given that his stop motion stuff has such a deliberately hand-made feel, but I also think "hyper digital" is kind of harsh and dismissive.

Drinky

Previous

Return to The Hat Zone