programming thread

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby jett » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:16 pm

draw wrote:yeah I mean if you hate coding the play is probably just work at a giant company that never gets anything done and cruise

100% this but might be hard to get a job at big slow co if you hate coding catch 22
just keep flying man, just lemme look at the clouds some more

jett

Postby draw » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:58 pm

Really? IME their hiring bar is lower than tech companies that expect a lot from you. Probably the only easier job to get would be at a random non-tech company that has no idea what they're hiring for

draw

Postby Joker » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:09 pm

yeah they're going to have you do algorithm and systems design shit they don't care about the coding

Joker

Postby woozy ducks » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:22 pm

Sutro wrote:
something sensible if wrote:unironically i want to quit my job and be a city garbage man. i'm probably gonna quit soon after i take my week of vacation that they're going to pay me for.

noticed a sticker on the cab of a garbage truck yesterday:

DIRTY HANDS, CLEAN MONEY

thats awesome

woozy ducks

Postby Smelly_Elevator » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:36 pm

After many attempts at trying to get an entry level programming job after studying for 2 years, I somehow got an offer to be a SAS programmer for a company that is apparently desperate for them. I took a semester of SAS for my community college degree and kind of hated it but I'm pretty desperate for a job at the moment and maybe this can get my foot in the door for something new after a little while.
The tasks at hand are:
Works with SAS Data Extracts from various CDMS systems like Medidata Rave, Inform, Omnicomm;
Programs and test CDM listings required for routine data reviews (dump and complex reconciliation listings). Performs post-production listings updates;
Performs data imports/exports of clinical data from internal and external vendors;
Communicates effectively within a multi-disciplinary project teams to complete assigned tasks on time and within budget;
Increases knowledge base and professional skills in areas including programming and technology;

and I'm a little "Guh?" about it all.

Anyone with SAS experience have any advice on how to act like I know what I'm doing?

Smelly_Elevator

Postby jca » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:14 pm

is salesforce development cool or is it godawful? seems like the ladder

jca

Postby Science » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:28 pm

I went pretty far down the Salesforce dev trailhead. The development environment and process seemed fine. I could see myself working like that.

If you just like coding and problem solving and making good money, I think it’d be a great career path. If your a little more precious about your end product being fun and cool, I guess it could be kinda soul crushing after a while.

It’s so in demand though, I know people that trained up at their company to do Salesforce admin and after 2 years they had their own consultancy that’s so busy they turn down a ton of work cause they can’t grow fast enough to meet demand.

Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby saranclaps » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:59 pm

I had to look at salesforce for a project earlier this year and it looks like it's harder to learn than programming
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby Coca Cola » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:02 pm

Coca Cola

Postby Joker » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:11 pm

Salesforce is horrifying

Joker

Postby Joker » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:11 pm

The natural destructive forces of sales

Joker

Postby jca » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:18 pm

saranclaps wrote:I had to look at salesforce for a project earlier this year and it looks like it's harder to learn than programming

interesting, it seems like salesforce doesnt have much programming but a lot of integrations with the business manager?

Science wrote:If you just like coding and problem solving and making good money, I think it’d be a great career path.

that sounds v appealing to me. just doing cms and connecting data points vs developing anything novel is the ticket

im on the sixth (:guy:) interview for a shopify dev role. theres been literally nothing technical, just talking high-level with several non-tech people. sort of feels like im at a conference doing meet and greet

jca

Postby Joker » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:21 pm

Six is way too fucking many. Hiring in this industry is so monumentally stupid

Joker

Postby brittle » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:16 am

hi is this a good thread for you to explain why my lua script doesn't work?

it's only 13 lines...
Last edited by brittle on Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

brittle

Postby brittle » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:18 am

the code should work, but it gets fucked up by having two monitors and i don't even know how/where to figure out why
Last edited by brittle on Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

brittle

Postby brittle » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:25 am

Code: Select all
function OnEvent(event, arg)
    if event == "G_PRESSED" and arg == 12 then
   x, y = GetMousePosition();   
        if IsModifierPressed("ctrl") then       -- Exposure down G12
         MoveMouseTo (60959, 26673)
              PressAndReleaseMouseButton(1);
      else
      MoveMouseTo (61881, 26400)
          PressAndReleaseMouseButton(1);      -- Exposure up G12
      end   
   MoveMouseTo (x , y);

i got sick of moving my mouse all the way across 2 screen to click a button that there's no existing hotkey for. it works good, but it leaves the cursor all the way on the opposite side of my workspace after i click, so i still have move it back to the screen i'm working on, each time i use it.

but when i add a line to bring it back to where it was, it tells me "argument out of range". it doesn't do this if the mouse is starting and returning on the right monitor, only if i run the script with the cursor on my left monitor.

brittle

Postby terrific bedwetter » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:49 am

From https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/MouseMove.htm they suggest that this may work better in some multi monitor configs...

Code: Select all
DllCall("SetCursorPos", "int", 100, "int", 400)  ; The first number is the X-coordinate and the second is the Y (relative to the screen).

Are your two monitors both set to the same resolution and/or the same scale?

Hopefully that DllCall function works better

terrific bedwetter

Postby brittle » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:03 am

thank you! i'll try it today

my left monitor is profile orientation and right is landscape, but i guess if i just give it a permanent coordinate, right smack in the middle, that shouldn't matter.

brittle

Postby brittle » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:40 am

wooohooo!

i got the same errors with that method as i was having yesterday. BUT it led me down the road to investigate multiple monitors and specifically using a negative integer in my x coordinate-- and i can't use the command with multiple monitors and i can't use a negative integer with movemouseto in Lua.

all i had to do was set the mouse return line to movemousetovirtual, which redefined my screen area as both monitors added together. then i just put in an arbitrary coordinate that was roughly in the middle of the screen i wanted.

brittle

Postby brittle » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:41 am

brittle

Postby sleigh » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:26 pm

sorry. struggling with something and it's time to break the "hipinion programming thread" glass

so i've got this tweet that has a lot of RTs and QTs
what i need is to generate organized lists of the accounts that RTed and QTed, ideally with as much information as possible about the account itself (follower count, if verified, location, bio, etc)
and then that information will sent to airtable to sorted and mined and combed through

right now i'm using this webapp called Rows that has some twitter integration that does the RT part of this fairly well, but i simply cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to pull QTs (which is crazy cuz pulling QTs has never really been a problem for me 8-) ) – even just trying to do a twitter search that yields the quote-tweets doesn't seem to work the way it used to

anyone got a solution?
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since

sleigh
ok

Postby sleigh » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:27 pm

it also occurs to me that this use case is not particularly novel -- while it's not exactly what i'm doing, it's basically twitter lead generation, so if there's some app that exists already that does this, i'm all ears
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since

sleigh
ok

Postby saranclaps » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:58 pm

Zero idea what rows is but I assume you're searching Twitter.com/username/status/tweetid?
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby Joker » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:25 pm

Honestly

You'll want to scrape twitter. I recommend puppeteer or another chrome dev tools implementation.

If you're doing heavy volume get a proxy.

Twitters api is trash and if a third party data supplier doesn't have it you probably can't get it in raw data form

Joker

Postby sleigh » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:28 am

saranclaps wrote:Zero idea what rows is but I assume you're searching Twitter.com/username/status/tweetid?

that's the thing that doesn't seem to be working anymore

sleigh
ok

Postby something sensible if » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:45 pm

just quit my fucken ass job yolo mates

something sensible if

Postby Joker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:47 pm

hell ye

Joker

Postby saranclaps » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:04 pm

I am currently reading a kindle book bc I don't have any work 8-)

I've worked like eight hours if that in the past 7-8 work days

saranclaps

Postby Joker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:06 pm

Reading Kindle book is form of work

Joker

Postby saranclaps » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:11 pm

My tv is in different room than my home office so I need to be in front of my computer in case someone slacks me

saranclaps

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone