programming thread

Humans in space suits make monkeys nervous

Postby mynamerocks » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:15 pm

saranclaps wrote:My tv is in different room than my home office so I need to be in front of my computer in case someone slacks me

the power play is to not respond for half an hour, then it appears as if you were doing some focussed work, even if every ticket in the sprint is a 1 pointer

mynamerocks

Postby mynamerocks » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:21 pm

I’m vaguely annoyed with work and can’t be bothered any more because I’ve ended up in a position where I’m one of our few platform experts, incident coordinators, general troubleshooters etc. and continually get called upon for that and, nicely, praised. And I genuinely enjoy the work, people, and our ‘culture’.
But I also get paid nothing compared to my London based coworkers, or obviously nothing compared to a FAANG company. Unfortunately I have little spare time, with an ill partner, and can’t really spend it on learning algorithms or doing leetcode to get into somewhere better.

I still can’t decide whether it’s worth just committing to doing that for a couple of months though… or alternatively just start half arsing the current job

mynamerocks

Postby jca » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:24 pm

i got a job working with shopify and oh my god shopify is insane

jca

Postby Science » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:48 pm

Does anyone with web-inspector at the ready care to help me find out why my website has an error in ONLY iOS Safari?

Cannot reproduce in any other browser 😓 and I don’t have access to a Mac at the moment.

I’ll send you $50 or donate to the charity of your choice.

Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby Joker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:49 pm

what is the uniform resource locator

Joker

Postby Joker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:49 pm

actually i'm fine with hostname and path

Joker

Postby Science » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:51 pm

It’s just on the index page of saynotosmokedetectors.com

It’s got to be the Facebook js sdk but I have another site where it works fine.
Last edited by Science on Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby wakeman » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:52 pm

Seems as good as time as any to share this Lizzo parody I came up with today.

I just took a DNS test/turns out I can’t resolve IPs

wakeman

Postby Joker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:56 pm

you got some 404s from the get-go:

https://www.saynotosmokedetectors.com/jquery.js
https://www.saynotosmokedetectors.com/nicepage.js

facebook seems to have a sourcemap issue but I'd be surprised if that broke it even though it's safari and safari is trash

Joker

Postby woozy ducks » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:56 pm

THIS IS WHAT IT'S LIKE WHEN PACKETS COLLIIIIDEEE

woozy ducks

Postby Science » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:20 pm

Joker wrote:you got some 404s from the get-go:

facebook seems to have a sourcemap issue but I'd be surprised if that broke it even though it's safari and safari is trash

Thanks! That probably save me a headache down the line.

I cleared all data for both the website and facebook.net and that seems to have fixed it. I couldn't reproduce on my wife's phone either so I probably just had a bad resource cached on mine.
Last edited by Science on Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby Joker » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:23 pm

I know some browsers now bring along their own libraries like jquery, maybe you were getting a false positive from most browsers 🤷‍♀️

Joker

Postby mynamerocks » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:08 pm

how much would an average hipinioner expect to earn as a senior SW eng/almost principal level? trying to work out whether I'm being shafted and need to apply elsewhere again.

mynamerocks

Postby draw » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:45 pm

location matters

draw

Postby draw » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:45 pm

400k in the bay area lol

draw

Postby draw » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:53 pm

in this market if you feel like it's too low and you're good at coding then it probably is

draw

Postby mynamerocks » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:54 pm

draw wrote:location matters

yeah, this is probably the shit thing. I'm on the equivalent of ¬$80k USD, and with no real compensation outside of salary

I like my current company a lot, but they have aboslutely not adjusted to the reality of remote working and I don't think I can be bothered to play along with their 'there are other benefits!' shtick anymore

that, or I just start coasting away... maybe that's the better option

mynamerocks

Postby Autarch » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:57 pm

that's a lot less than what a senior or principal engineer would make in chicago.

Autarch

Postby jca » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:22 pm

mynamerocks wrote:how much would an average hipinioner expect to earn as a senior SW eng/almost principal level? trying to work out whether I'm being shafted and need to apply elsewhere again.

150?

jca

Postby draw » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:28 pm

mynamerocks wrote:
draw wrote:location matters

yeah, this is probably the shit thing. I'm on the equivalent of ¬$80k USD, and with no real compensation outside of salary

I like my current company a lot, but they have aboslutely not adjusted to the reality of remote working and I don't think I can be bothered to play along with their 'there are other benefits!' shtick anymore

that, or I just start coasting away... maybe that's the better option

you could not try very hard and get a 50% pay raise knowing nothing about you other than what you posted, assuming you can work in the US and are open to remote work. get a new job

draw

Postby Joker » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:31 pm

I'd say 150 in anywhere but Seattle, SF or NYC, bump it $25k-$50k in those spots.

Principal is tough because at some places that's just an ornamental senior sde

Joker

Postby saranclaps » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:39 pm

I don't make anywhere near $150 but I also suck at my job and don't work for a cool company. I'm also just a regular ass software engineer
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening

saranclaps

Postby wakeman » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:53 pm

Wow fun fucking AWS bullshit this weekend. Seems when I started at my current company 5 years ago I used the IAM creds they gave me in some dumb legacy app. Since then I was elevated to full AWS admin, along with that IAM. And now some fucking guy compromised that legacy server and used the creds to send 100k spam emails through SES. He even made himself an admin user to talk to AWS support when they started blocking SES. He could have done so much more damage with the access he had but seems it was just a run and gun hack focussed on emailing. Spent all morning with AWS support to reenable our companies ability to send email through our apps and website.

Might be time to move into farming or some shit. I just want to write code not deal with this crap.

wakeman

Postby 31GeeWhizz » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:00 pm

wakeman wrote:Wow fun fucking AWS bullshit this weekend. Seems when I started at my current company 5 years ago I used the IAM creds they gave me in some dumb legacy app. Since then I was elevated to full AWS admin, along with that IAM. And now some fucking guy compromised that legacy server and used the creds to send 100k spam emails through SES. He even made himself an admin user to talk to AWS support when they started blocking SES. He could have done so much more damage with the access he had but seems it was just a run and gun hack focussed on emailing. Spent all morning with AWS support to reenable our companies ability to send email through our apps and website.

Might be time to move into farming or some shit. I just want to write code not deal with this crap.

wow. thar be dragons in the rest of your company's setup, i imagine.

that really sucks. are you able to recoup that time off spent this weekend?
31GeeWhizz

Postby something sensible if » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:38 pm

if i actually had to deal with a real compromised account as you described i'd probably have a panic attack and have to be hospitalized

something sensible if

Postby Joker » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:46 pm

We got a "your aws account will be shut down" message two weeks ago not sure if i documented here

Basically they blocked a ton of things including SES due to a false positive

Joker

Postby grass tacks » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:51 am

i just had the same thing happen on saturday, but they got access to a root key i just cycled out 2 weeks ago somehow, sent 70k emails, contacted support to try and raise the daily limit.

had to do it once before but dealing with a compromised aws account is a real nightmare. everyone make sure you have cloudtrail set up to log everything or be ready to spend days checking every service in every region for anything that looks off.
grass tacks

Postby wakeman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:54 am

jesus, must be some asshole with casting a wide net for keys out there.

wakeman

Postby mynamerocks » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:01 pm

cloud trail plus some anomaly detection in Splunk or wherever is essential. CloudCustodian very handy too, though we’ve had some disasters with over zealous rules. Can totally see smaller places skipping that sort of thing though, it is annoyingly pricey to have a secure, audited aws setup. We’re trying out cloud zero for cost analysis now, after ditching an alternative, and its unexpected price alerts have already been fairly interesting.

Hopefully soon I’ll be able to share a blog post about how we just recently dealt with an unexpected deletion of all of our backend services at once, full namespace deletion from every k8s cluster. Really great time! Turns out gitops and fully automated everything is fantastic until it isn’t…

mynamerocks

Postby Joker » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:03 pm

grass tacks wrote:i just had the same thing happen on saturday, but they got access to a root key i just cycled out 2 weeks ago somehow, sent 70k emails, contacted support to try and raise the daily limit.

had to do it once before but dealing with a compromised aws account is a real nightmare. everyone make sure you have cloudtrail set up to log everything or be ready to spend days checking every service in every region for anything that looks off.

yeah they made us change root password and troll through cloudtrail but wouldn't tell us what happened or triggered it. which is understandable from a security perspective, but in no way helpful toward solving the problem.

anyway we found nothing off and had our CEO (!) change the root password. we're all IAM users but the non-technical guy has the root account with MFA disabled.

nice

Joker

PreviousNext

Return to The Hot Zone