Dedicated Horror Nerd Thread

Let's talk hats

Postby Smelly_Elevator » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:15 pm

Found a cheap copy of this on ebay the other day. I hope to make it through the whole thing this season and have my brain turn to goo

Here's the film lists
First 50:
https://letterboxd.com/lcosgrove/list/decrepit-crypt-of-nightmares/

Second 50:
https://app5.letterboxd.com/lordslaw/list/tomb-of-terrors/

Smelly_Elevator

Postby aububs » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:28 pm

wow looks great!!!

i have a couple of those mill creek 50 movie sets full of low rent public domain horror, and while there's a lot of filler, honestly have found some great stuff on them

that set looks demented
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby Smelly_Elevator » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:55 pm

aububs wrote:wow looks great!!!

i have a couple of those mill creek 50 movie sets full of low rent public domain horror, and while there's a lot of filler, honestly have found some great stuff on them

that set looks demented

Yeah I always love finding those MC sets at thrifts. Perfect brain numbing fodder.
Definitely keep a look out for these:
Just a bunch of the distro titles from the Brain Dead, Outlaw Video, and Cinema Home Entertainment from the 90s-2000s and difficult as hell to find individually. Really excited for "Suburban Sasquatch"

Smelly_Elevator

Postby Rhodes » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 pm

My dad got me one of those sets as a stocking stuffer one year. I watched a TV movie called Nightmare at Bitter Creek. Tom Skerritt played a drunk guy in it. I don't think he was acting.

Rhodes

Postby i am rich » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:32 pm

i enjoyed malignant event though and because it was dumb
def coulda been a little shorter
the twist rocked
def though it was at least a little ridiculous (on purpose) throughout

i am rich

Postby worrywort » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:22 pm

i watched it last night. the typical annoying dumb stuff early on (like someone walking towards a scary sound in the pitch black) soon gave way to amazing dumb stuff, and it just kept getting dumber and better from there.

worrywort

Postby i am rich » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:25 pm

yeah but even the typical annoying dumb stuff was done well imo
watched insidious again for the first time in years afterward and i think maybe malignant is "better"

i am rich

Postby cud nylon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:29 pm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09B6VSD56
Was given this as a birthday gift from my mom. I will need to remember whenever she comes over to put it outside. :oops:

cud nylon

Postby worrywort » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:49 pm

well, this isn't like a 'counterargument' cuz i'm just saying how i personally experienced it: i found the typical annoying stuff pretty annoying, until i caught on to what the movie was doing, so i guess it's less annoying in retrospect. also to be clear, i'm not saying that something is annoying because it is typical, as there's also very good by-the-book creepy stuff early on too. just saying that my fears the movie would be derailed by that stuff were joyously upturned.

Insidious is a good compare/contrast for me, because that's a movie i thought was entirely derailed by going dumb (in a bad way) in the latter half. i liked Malignant a lot more than Insidious, by the end, even if they both kinda had the same general trajectory.

worrywort

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:51 pm

6.) possession (1981) another canon classic that i've somehow never seen. i loved it. just pure despair and depressive mania washing over the entire film, one of the bleakest films i've watched in a while. sam neil and isabelle adjani are both incredible. the color palette is so intentionally washed out that it just feels like a prolonged depressive state. the more explicit horror imagery being used so sparingly is a great touch, whenever it happens it feels like the reality of the film is being violently punctured. wonderful.

7.) poltergeist (1982) this was a re-watch but i hadn't seen it since i was like 13 or 14. basically a big budget, elaborate version of one of those carnival rides where you ride the little car through a dark room while wooden cutouts of ghosts fly out at you. the finale, with the coffins and corpses popping up in the rain, is like looking at an elaborate front yard display. that's not a bad thing- it's fun to see horror movies that kind of tap into the things that make halloween fun when you're a little kid- but it's definitely not much deeper than that. the first act is a bit too spielberg-y for my taste, just kind of this cutesy whimsical thing with a score that's kind of cloying or stuff like the dumb gag with the tv remotes. but once carol ann gets sucked into the tv it shifts enough and i got pretty involved. the performances are all really stellar. craig t. nelson sells his exhaustion really well, zelda rubinstein barely feels like she's acting in the best possible sense of the statement. i like that we never see the spirit world. i don't know that i'd agree with the lists that call it one of the greatest horror films of all time but as far as a kid-friendly thing or a low stakes popcorn movie, it's a good time.

8.) malignant (2021) *dogboner voice* now that's what's up. the best kind of gleeful, fun horror schlock. it knows that it has a silly premise but plays it with full sincerity, without the obnoxious meta-winking that you might get in a lesser movie. the characters are well-drawn enough to be engaging but the movie also doesn't do the obnoxious "elevated horror" thing where everything is this elaborate metaphor for trauma. i liked gabriel had a signature weapon, feels throwback-y without just being a bunch of references. the big reveal was incredibly well-done and the special effects and creature design were genuinely unsettling. my only complaint is that, for a movie that kind of acts as a high-concept slasher, the kills themselves were just kind of bland. don't get me wrong, they worked because the high-concept stuff worked, but i kind of miss the 80s "lets all try to one-up each other in terms of elaborate, showy ways to do kill scenes" and i think this could've been even better had their been more than just stabstabstab. overall, though, i had a blast and it felt like a nice corrective from the over-serious prestige stuff and the lingering meta stuff of the last decade or so. it's not a modern classic or anything, but it's a good, violent time.

light rail coyote

Postby i am rich » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:09 pm

yeah it probably helped that i skimmed this thread a bit before watching malignant bc it helped lower/reset expectations
the dumb end part was definitely better than the dumb (longer) end part of insidious
agree with lrc that after the opening i was expecting cooler gore but w/e
good (slightly long) time
whoever described it as a big budget b-movie was right on

i am rich

Postby worrywort » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:30 pm

yah 100%

worrywort

Postby i am rich » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:31 pm

even the dumb cgi parkourToggle Spoiler worked for me

i am rich

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:35 pm

yeah it was dumb as shit but there's nothing wrong with dumb if it's done well.

cant imagine liking horror and not liking dumb. without dumb we wouldn't have classics like body melt

light rail coyote

Postby auspice » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:35 pm

I'll be the odd one out and say the pass Malignant appears to be getting despite that terrible cover of "Where Is My Mind" is blowing my mind.
Joker wrote:"I'm pooping and peeing and I love it!"

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby i am rich » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:01 pm

oh yeah that was dumb and not enjoyable unlike the rest of the film

i am rich

Postby worrywort » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:10 pm

just personally speaking, that’s not really close to being a factor in whether I’d like this movie or not.i would say the overall score, which isn’t my cup of tea in terms of what i like to listen to, was perfectly ‘dumb fun’ appropriate. it helped key me in for sure.

worrywort

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:11 pm

Yeah, I’m not gonna dislike a movie because of one song. Unless that movie is Magnolia.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby i am rich » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:12 pm

worrywort wrote:just personally speaking, that’s not really close to being a factor in whether I’d like this movie or not.i would say the overall score, which isn’t my cup of tea in terms of what i like to listen to, was perfectly ‘dumb fun’ appropriate. it helped key me in for sure.

yeah agreed

i am rich

Postby i am rich » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:53 pm

about to make the impossible choice between escape room 2, dont breathe 2, candyman 2, and prisoners of the ghostland (1)

i am rich

Postby auspice » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:19 pm

worrywort wrote:just personally speaking, that’s not really close to being a factor in whether I’d like this movie or not.i would say the overall score, which isn’t my cup of tea in terms of what i like to listen to, was perfectly ‘dumb fun’ appropriate. it helped key me in for sure.

the silly tee-hee scares constantly piled up on each other before the "big reveal" that was more-or-less already spoiled by the title of the film made it very difficult for me to forget how hokey that music choice was as I watched. it's just my hipinion, this kind of horror isn't for me at all. I watched the Evil Dead trilogy and could actually still respect elements of it even though that's not really what I go for, but Malignant just felt like a blank check creative freedom film that could have actually benefitted from some notes.
Joker wrote:"I'm pooping and peeing and I love it!"

- Poop & Pee Magazine

auspice

Postby hiddenicon » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:43 am

Return of the Living Dead and Exorcist III under the harvest moon at the drive-in tonight to kick off my Halloween Hundo. After bailing on it last year midway through, I thought I might make it this year by taking the heat off myself with an extra ten days. maybe eat a tray of amuse-bouche with that folk horror doc during the day before taking in the taxidermied dogs and patrick ewings of it all at sundown.

god damn i love attempting this each year.

hiddenicon

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:10 pm

best part of malignant was when the cops were all beat up and it looked like gabriel had fled the scene but just before he goes he chucks a chair across the room and nails the cops, i laughed so hard

ashtrayheart

Postby aububs » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:16 pm

yeah that was the best part
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:26 pm

rwatched Misery for the first time in forever (barely remembered a thing other than the big scenes everyone talks about). not sure what the rep is among cool ppl but i loved it! looked up mid-movie to make sure Bates got an oscar nom and was glad to know she won. she's so good omg

our friend was SO terrified. it's hard to pinppoint her "line" for what is too scary, cause she said that's max scary she can handle, but loves like, IT (2017) and some other like more HORROR things but i guess its the realism maybe? but she GIS'd Elm St and was like "UHHHH NOPE" too.
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby ashtrayheart » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:03 pm

It (2017) is the least scary movie of all time

ashtrayheart

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:29 pm

ashtrayheart wrote:It (2017) is the least scary movie of all time

lol i guess that squares that circle! she also didn't want to watch Dawn of the Dead cause she wasn't in the mood for an old movie with "cheesy effects" (to be fair she hasn't seen it) so really she continues to remain completely inscrutable to me hah
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rhodes » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:40 am

Those cheesy effects got Tom Savini the job on Friday the 13th and Maniac. Harumph!

Rhodes

Postby Rhodes » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:41 am

Show your friend Maniac, she'll love it.

Rhodes

Postby smelts » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:25 am

Romero Dead rankings as far as personal enjoyment:

Night Of The Living Dead
Day Of The Dead
Dawn Of The Dead
Land Of The Dead
Diary Of The Dead
Survival Of The Dead

NotLD is probably one of if not my fave horror movie of all time so I would probably be in the minority of people ranking it first, but honestly the first three and the last three are very easily interchangeable for vastly different reasons

smelts

PreviousNext

Return to The Hat Zone