Dedicated Horror Nerd Thread

Let's talk hats

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:20 am

Frank HenenlotterToggle Spoiler
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:50 am

didn't get much free time this weekend but

4.) blood red (1975) this is a re-watch but it's been over 10 years and didn't remember a ton about it so i decided to check it out again. one of those "not much to say about it other than that it deserves all of its praise" films.

5.) the forever purge (2021) i've been super far behind on new films this year so i decided to squeeze this one in. on one hand, you can't really call these horror films anymore- this is just a really violent post-apocalyptic action movie but oh well. i have a huge soft spot for the purgiverse. generally, these movies all have really intriguing premises but clumsy execution and that's the case here. the movie is set like a decade after the purge: election year; the new founding fathers have been re-elected and have reinstituted the purge due to popular demand and mass anti-immigration sentiment. the far-right social base that pushed them back into power have decided that one day is not enough and that they will continue to purge until they effectively genocide all POC and immigrants. a white rancher, his family, and his latino farmhands and their family must band together and learn how to respect each other's backrounds while they to flee to mexico to escape the violence during a 6 hour window before the border is permanently sealed. the background context is great, the actual storyline is so hokey that it gets kind of grating. the setpieces here are the most unmemorable setpieces that they've ever done, really nothing stands out all that much. the movie doesn't introduce the villain until there's less than 30 minutes to go and he's so bland that it doesn't really register. i dunno, it's a purge movie.

light rail coyote

Postby Poptone » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:49 am

Malignant was a pretty fun remake of The Dark HalfToggle Spoiler

Poptone
cat fan

Postby smelts » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:20 pm

Poptone wrote:Malignant was a pretty fun remake of The Dark HalfToggle Spoiler

Oh dang, I was actually planing on watching this real soon! Been going through the RomeroToggle Spoiler catalogue over the Summer and this is one of the last ones on the list, definitely some added motivation to check it out sooner

smelts

Postby emotional fascism » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:31 pm

I was totally in the right head space to enjoy Malignant this weekend. Loved it, but might be afraid to revisit in a more cynical mindset haha

emotional fascism

Postby fresh salad » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:35 pm

Which one of you yahoos will be chosen??

https://financebuzz.com/get-paid-to-watch-scary-movies
Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner

fresh salad

Postby smelts » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:36 pm

Candyman streaming coming this Friday!!!!

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-vide ... nd-friday/

smelts

Postby fresh salad » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:39 pm

Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner

fresh salad

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:42 pm

fresh salad wrote:Which one of you yahoos will be chosen??

i probably won't be chosen but i did submit one because if i got it, it'd be the easiest money i've ever made (aside from having to watch a quiet place, which is a damn chore!!)

light rail coyote

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:44 pm

fresh salad wrote:Which one of you yahoos will be chosen??

Amateur numbers.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby son of chucky » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:24 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:I thought the Gabriel revealToggle Spoiler in the third act of Malignant was great but beyond that I didn't like it and the soundtrack sounded like Doom Eternal.

yeah i liked the third act of this movie and thought the rest sucked. for me there are so few horror films that have any business being 2+ hours.
I am going to buy more books about elderly dogs in the future. Thank you.

son of chucky

Postby Mesh » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:29 am

loaf angel wrote:lol is the Malignant theme an orchestral play on "Where is My Mind"

And also a thematic play on Fight Club!

edit: Frank Henenlotter
Toggle Spoiler
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby Mesh » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:39 am

Also, from real early on we know Malignant concerns a morphologically effed up Gabriel and I'm like ImageToggle Spoiler
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:23 pm

Candyman (2021) is now in the place.
Last edited by jalapeño ranch on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jalapeño ranch

Postby acapelli » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:15 am

landspeedrecord wrote:malignant's reveal didn't quite work for me (ended up being more silly than grand guignol I'm afraid, but wan really went for it, I'll give him that), but I found the film's mystery fascinating for the whole ride. such a mishmash of horror tropes and misdirections (mental institution, psychic connection, conjoined twin, therapy session/seance, allusions to communion with the Devil)... serious larry cohen vibes. we don't need another rote paranormal, slasher, or creature feature. more original horror movies like this!!!

I think that's why I also liked don't breathe 2. it's not reinventing the wheel, but it was a pleasure to watch a sequel advance the plot in a novel direction. there's no way to make the audience feel sympathy for a rapist and kidnapper, but pitting stephen lang and his "daughter" against even worse folks in a grungy desolate detroit is a perversely nasty twist. I particularly dug the gang's' giant decrepit hideout. I agree it's not a horror film, more of a thriller. run hide fight + this are the closest thing I've seen to contemporary grindhouse-style exploitation films being made today. oh, and crawl fits the mold too. what a flick. I watched that a few weeks back. sooo good. lean & mean

man i found myself having a great time with don't breathe 2. glad to see i wasn't the only one

speaking of crawl (which i too really enjoyed), i didn't realize that aja had a new one that's out on netflix

acapelli

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:44 pm

can someone clarify re: malignant

i could've sworn it shows the sister's head getting blown off by gabe while stuck under the hospital bed in the final minutes, then her head is magically un-blown offToggle Spoiler

did i imagine the first part up or was there an explanation that flew over my head

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby Poptone » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:15 pm

she put him in her mind palace right before thatToggle Spoiler

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:10 pm

ok

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby seafoam » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:45 pm

Malignant was laughable at times, not scary really, wanted it to be but sorta became more pathetic the deeper it went, acting was horrendous, did not work not for us

We who scare easily were laughing even at the end, bit of a let down
Last edited by seafoam on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seafoam

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:53 pm

I can’t think of very many movies that actually scare me. Horror movies can be fun without being scary.

jalapeño ranch

Postby seafoam » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:58 pm

I get that but this was pretty but not fun or scary or creepy, bad 90’s acting, so many refs to other stuff was the fun part I suppose but for all the Wan hype deadcat bounce

seafoam

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:00 pm

I can understand that for the first 90 minutes but that last act is fun as hell, man.

jalapeño ranch

Postby smelts » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:24 am

2 things I'll say about Malignant

1. I've probably thought about it to some extent every day since I watched it last week
2. I don't often rewatch movies in quick succession, but I will likely make a point to rewatch this for my October watch list, because I feel like I actively have to show this to other people, because it needs to be seen to be believed

smelts

Postby smelts » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:32 am

watched Candyman 2 tonight, and like it's such an unbearable snooze of a movie, but the extent to which alot of the acting, settings and trope from this exact kind of movie are amplified to an unbelievable extent in a real-deal big time horror movie in James Wan's Malignant in 2021 is a pretty amazing thing to behold in all it's wtf glory

smelts

Postby marble » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:06 am

Echo the sentiment that everything leading up to the reveal in malignant was mediocre and everything after it was great, because it was so bonkers

The scene in the jail was fun as hell

marble

Postby seafoam » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:59 am

I’ll give it another go and hopefully as Emo fascist says, be in a better ‘head space’ when watching

seafoam

Postby whatabout tim » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:45 am

jalapeño ranch wrote:I can’t think of very many movies that actually scare me. Horror movies can be fun without being scary.

Hard agree. Most of the stuff that scares me has some ties to something I saw way too young. I still consider Texas chainsaw to be top 3 scariest movies ever after staying up too late watching it when I was ten or twelve.
tim

whatabout tim

Postby Poptone » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:05 pm

marble wrote:Echo the sentiment that everything leading up to the reveal in malignant was mediocre and everything after it was great, because it was so bonkers

The scene in the jail was fun as hell

Yeah I think ur supposed to be laughing by the third act. The woman just chucking other prisoners at Gabriel and screaming “WHAT THE FUCK?!?!” High comedy

Poptone
cat fan

Postby loaf angel » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:08 pm

yea i mean i was laughing

going back the slow build worked
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby Poptone » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:12 pm

Like, I was straight up cackling with glee

Poptone
cat fan

PreviousNext