Dedicated Horror Nerd Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby futurist » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:31 pm

rad! thank you!

futurist

Postby Patchouli Jim » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:10 pm

Oh, I'm glad Last House on the Left came up. I watched it last week and meant to post about it. When I was a teen, my brother and I were in a big Wes Craven, and I remember we rented last house on the left, and my brother ended up watching it without me and told me it wasn't very good and I shouldn't even bother watching it. Over the years, his review crystalized in my mind as if I had watched it myself and just vaguely remembered that I didn't like it. Last week I saw it was free on Amazon Prime, so I decided to watch it despite this notion in my head, and then realized I had never seen it and was surprised by how bad it was. The tone of the film is so flimsy, it comes off as a comedy in the sense that the violence is treated so flippantly, but somehow at the same time it feels like the film wants to be taken seriously. The portrayal of the impact of the daughter's death on the parents seems so inconsequential that their revenge on the killers almost seems out of character! The 70's CBS Friday night made for TV movie, Terror On The Beach, I think is essentially the same film but I think is a lot more effective in presenting the "fear of the counter culture HIPPIE DROP-OUTS on suburbia" and inside that perspective of terror.

Another thing that stood out to me though is the bad guy's name, Krug. And then of course later, Wes Craven made Freddy Kruger. I wonder what it is about that name that stood out to him as being perfect as his arch-villian?
Last edited by Patchouli Jim on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:20 pm

The poster for Last House On The Left is fantastic.

Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:Another thing that stood out to me though is the bad guy's name, Krug. And then of course later, Wes Craven made Freddy Kruger. I wonder what it is about that name that stood out to him as being perfect as his arch-villian?

I think I remember reading that the name was based on a school bully.

Kevin McCallister

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 pm

fwiw the last house on the left remake with garrett dillahunt as krug is one of the few truly good horror remakes and id definitely suggest it.

I won't spoil it but there's a very smart twist on the original's plot that adds a ton of tension in a very clever way

light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:34 pm

I still need to watch last house on dead end street but it's reputation makes it one of the few movies that I'm genuinely anxious about watching

it's been on my list for like 5 years but I can never bring myself to actually put it on

light rail coyote

Postby aububs » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:44 am

oh you gotta watch that, lrc
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby dan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:49 pm

Oct. 22
The Chilling (1989)
Universal Cryogenics is doing a booming business in freezing the bodies of the recently dead in the hopes of defrosting them later when science has discovered a way to cure what ails them. Things are going well until the storage facility loses its power during a storm, threatening their frozen clients. To make matters worse, a lightning strike causes the bodies to revive as homicidal zombies.

The first 40 minutes or so feel like a soap opera or a hospital drama on CBS where we're introduced to about 10 different characters including the bank robber son of a wealthy businessman who gets cryogenically frozen after being shot in a botched robbery and the corrupt head of Universal Cryogenics who is selling their customers organs to Mexico. It's weird but also bland and very beige (one of the most beige movies). Then when we hit the 40 minute mark we essentially change protagonists to Dan Haggerty (incredible as always) playing a night security guard who's breaking in his new partner at the Cryo lab. When the power goes out Dan has the brilliant idea to take all the cryo-pods and put them outside where it's cooler but unfortunately lightning hits them which causes the goo they've been filled with to electrify them back to life and become mylar-wrapped zombies. Sadly it's more fun to talk about the silly plot than to watch, because most of this is horribly lit, tension-free, standard issue zombies shuffling around, with the only fun innovation being a forklift kill. Nothing else of interest to note other than the fact that I could swear all of the sound effects for the medical procedures were done but some guy making sucking noises with his mouth. D+

dan

Postby a long gush from your hole » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:28 am

RIXX wrote:Has anyone seen The Dead Center feat Shane Carruth?

just saw this

it was only sporadically good
And I’m
Swallowed by
High speed calm air tonight

a long gush from your hole

Postby hiddenicon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:11 am

i liked it quite a bit. it does seem tailor made to my tastes though.

just got back from a 4K remaster of Prince of Darkness... the 7PM sold out (decent sized theater at that) but the 10PM had some elbow room. The Fog restoration next week :)

hiddenicon

Postby futurist » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:24 am

does anyone have any luck downloading from veehd nowadays?

futurist

Postby dan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:07 am

futurist wrote:does anyone have any luck downloading from veehd nowadays?

I hadn't used it in awhile when I posted that link, now that I look further it seems like the whole site is broke and most links are dead. I tried download managers and loading the flash video and still got nothing. It's a shame, I only got to download part of the Komrads channel and there's definitely some very rare and obscure stuff there. Sorry.
I can try to upload Film Freak to the DB if you really want but like I said it's gonna take a long time and the version on youtube is essentially the same.

dan

Postby futurist » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:10 am

no worries! I actually watched the Film Freak on youtube and absolutely loved it, so charming. those music cues were so good like you said.

even so that playlist is a treasure trove, excited to check it out and see if i can scope out some of those tiles elsewhere. thanks for posting it!

futurist

Postby dan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:28 am

that's cool, I think I will do the same and copy the names and directors of everything on that channel and see how much else I can find. Looking in the forums it seems like Veehd could potentially shut down early next year if the domain isn't renewed so I guess I'll see if there are any other channels that could basically serve as playlists. I don't know if it's possible to contact Komrads or find them elsewhere, they haven't logged on in 2 months :| . Well here's what I did manage to download from his VeeHD if people are particularly interested in it, though please keep in mind stuff will be slow, hopefully I can get better internet sorted out next year.

I do think I got everything that was uploaded to their Vodlocker which wasn't up very long (vid quality on these is pretty bad due to vodlocker)

dan

Postby Patchouli Jim » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:32 am

I watched The Stuff last night. Super good, some really great line deliveries. "Sometimes you just gotta eat shaving cream"
I was wondering if anyone knows what the John Birch guy says to the kid in the quarry raid scene about never losing a war.
John Birch guy - "Can't stand up to American bullets. Because of them, we've never lost a war."
Jason - "what about the vietnam war, sir?"
John Birch guy says something back, which clearly is a joke but I missed it and my girlfriend didn't want me to rewind it.

This made me want to go back and watch Bad Taste, haven't seen that in a long time now.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby Bob511 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:24 pm

"We lost that war at home, sonny."
Eric Roberts wrote:Hipinion. Hipinion? Hipinion...is hip.

Bob511

Postby dan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Oct. 23
Lunch Meat (1987)
Six high school seniors on a camping trip are ambushed by killer rednecks who kill their victims & sell the remains to a local hamburger joint.

This was a surprisingly intense, upsetting, horrific movie somehow in spite of the fact that 2 of the 4 hillbillies could be straight out of Hee-Haw and another is accurately described as "a mad dog with shit for brains". The rednecks are as filthy and backwoods as you'll ever see, but for some reason they drive to Los Angeles to sell their their people-burger meat, which is where they spy the "high school seniors" on their way to the Mt. Edgar. Lots of dynamics and storylines and in-fighting is set up between the high schoolers which is entirely (and rather shockingly) discarded right before the 30 minute mark as they start getting hacked apart very fast. The remaining hour is all just chasing and chopping though the woods with no other locations or characters getting introduced. Anytime someone on either side gets caught the result is brutal, drawn-out, and fairly grounded in how its done (though one fake head does fly off). If you're into just seeing unpolished, probably improvised killing with no plot this is alright but it just gives you the same stuff over and over relentlessly for a full 2/3 of the runtime. D+

dan

Postby futurist » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:51 pm

ok let's see

The Uninvited (1944) - pretty timid and light-hearted, even compared to other films from the time, but good atmosphere at times and good characters

Husk (2011) - not as bad as i'd been lead to believe, but also so much wasted potential. kinda gory, kinda supernatural, but i always love a good scarecrow story

Sledgehammer (1983) - once i realized this was david a. prior i immediately threw it on after skipping for so long. dreamy, weirdo, slasher. accidental outsider stuff like all his other films

Shock Waves (1977) - also an embarrassing oversight. this was way more atmospheric and somber than i ever expected, considering the subject matter is underwater nazi zombies. great score, great scenery

Cursed Woods (1983) - decent british gore short. excited to see more from whoever this is and hear some more spooky synth work

Criminally Insane (1975) - i love fat ethel. wanted to rewatch this before finally watching the second, but got so caught up with how great this movie is i forgot to watch the second. maybe this weekend

Friday the 13th: Halloween Night (1994) - fun fan film by some teens w a camera. i always love early 90s suburban autumn vibes

Are You Afraid of the Dark (2019) - first two episode only. was actually pretty decent, probably the only enjoyable "outcasts solve a mystery" story i've seen from the past few years

HalloweeNight (2009) - heartbreaking and charming tribute by Mark Polonia to his deceased brother. you already know what you're getting into with a Polonia flick but this one really has some emotion holding up the story

Deadtime Stories (1986) - great effects, great intro sequence, but boring segments and looked terrible

The Mutilator (1984) - unoriginal, but hits every note. i kind of already forgot about it...

Society (1989) - finally watched the unrated restored version. god i love this movie

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage (1970) - every further Argento i watch ends up being my favorite. really puts Deep Red and Suspiria way down the list for me

Sick-o-Pathics (1996) - not as sick as i always hoped but this was so up my alley. gross death metal horror anthology. and i love this sleeve.

Haunt (2019) - not bad, not good. mostly unmemorable

Pet Sematary (2019) - wasn't terrible but was definitely unnecessary

Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark (2019) - they actually did a good job bringing these characters to life, but again, i am sick of this plot line in modern horror. i don't care about these kids.

futurist

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:02 pm

Is there a good rip of Scary Stories out now? I saw it pop up last week but the audio was taken from a cam rip.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby futurist » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:16 pm

looked good enough to me! i wasn't fully immersed though

futurist

Postby Disko aka Disco » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:36 am

might have to check out this girl on the third floor flick..

Disko aka Disco

Postby thrang » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:23 am

futurist wrote:
The Mutilator (1984) - unoriginal, but hits every note. i kind of already forgot about it.

This is definitely a standard slasher, but I guess this was originally called Fall Break and the theme song played over the opening and closing credits cracks me up. It sounds like it was recorded for a teen sex comedy.
thrang

Postby linoleum » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:54 pm

Mutilator has one of the coolest posters

linoleum

Postby theta » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:10 pm

i made this list for october but i haven't been able to make much of a dent in it
Jeremy wrote:If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sarcastic serf - forever.
gothical storm
theta

Postby dan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Oct. 24
Totem (1999)
Six people find themselves inexplicably transported to a remote cabin that is surrounded by an invisible barrier. In a nearby graveyard, they discover an ancient, carved stone monument that they dub a "totem pole." Soon, they find themselves trapped in a murderous plot by malevolent forces that can control and manipulate their actions with the ultimate goal being to unleash three demonic entities from the monument.

David DeCoteau directing a Charles Band script: what could go wrong? Well everything, because this was a disaster, although thankfully a short one at 56 minutes if you cut out the credits. The plot is absolute nonsense, the puppets don't have any personality, 90% of the movie takes place in 1 room, and action is limited to CW actors holding foam rubber gremlins on themselves while the fog machine goes nuts. And to make matters worse the entire movie is shot at canted angles with the camera constantly wobbling back and forth as if it were on a see-saw. The next hour after the movie ended I couldn't look at a screen because text kept tilting. D-

Oct. 25
Blood Sisters (1987)
Seven girls must spend the night in an old house, which once was a brothel, as part of an initiation.

I was a little disappointed after the very entertaining start which had a flashback to a little kid going nuts, a robed sorority ritual, and 3 very amusing college clods freaking themselves out in the abandoned whorehouse. But once the gals arrive at the brothel to spend the night it slows down so much and we spend quite a bit of time watching people succumb to wimpy scares that were set up earlier. When it delves into actually showing the ghostly prostitutes it gets more interesting and there are some well composed shots but we don't get much of this. I liked all of the actresses playing the sisters but they aren't really playing against anything because the killer doesn't show up until the last 10 minutes and he's nothing special. It's still goofy fun and makes me want to watch more Roberta Findlay but I think with a few changes would have been a blast. C-

dan

Postby Ampersand » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:24 pm

:twisted: lol I love both of those

Ampersand

Postby thrang » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:14 pm

Just watched Strange Behaviour. It really tried, I guess, but what a snooze.
thrang

Postby Patchouli Jim » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:17 pm

I read Great God Pan by Arthur Machen last week, and you can definitely see where Lovecraft got a lot of his influence from. I know I wrote a bunch of long posts up thread on Lovecraft and race already, but this story is interesting because it is just explicitly a story about how terrifying sex and the body was to victorian-era white men, and how much they naturalized this relationship with "latins", and in this story that means primarily means mediterranean, mainly but not exclusively. It's hard to read the story nowadays without seeing Mary and Helen as tragic heroines, and all the male protagonists as the true antagonists. Anyone else familiar with this story?

Patchouli Jim

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 pm

oh hey, I just watched Totem a few days back also. thank christ the weed held out.

hiddenicon

Postby Patchouli Jim » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Also, I watched the Conjuring 2 last dead, and geez what a stupid movie. It had the potential to be interesting,
But it seems the filmmakers had no idea what they wanted to do with it. It is a ghost movie, and a ghost movie should be about an unresolved past issue, and that issue connects with a present day issue in the protagonists life, and then the two intersect as the haunting comes to plague the haunted’s life. Well, this movie had the potential to be about this family’s lack of a father figure, and socio-economic impact of that at the time in England; and it seems like that is what they are going to have it be about, but then for no reason at all they stop. The old man ghost was a perfect opportunity to be the inversion of the missing father; old man who never had kids and died alone and now torments this family. Ed Warren even starts to come and fill this father-figure role and that could have provided an interesting dynamic, but they decided to then defer to that demon-nun which was inexplicable and makes the film about nothing in the end. It would have been better if it had focused more on Janet, and this idea of perhaps she is faking it all because she wants a father figure, and even focused more on this idea of her not knowing even herself when she is faking it or not. But once it becomes about the nun, everything else becomes meaningless; the monster is so contextless that any understanding of any meaning is completely lost, and you are left scratching your head trying to form a narrative the stitches together these different elements. Is the nun just some manifestation of a more universal, deeper, pure evil? Why did it choose to haunt the warrens? Why did it choose to haunt the British family? What was it’s purpose in tying these two distinct people’s fates together?

Patchouli Jim

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley