Dedicated Horror Nerd Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby goofjan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:04 pm

Rewatched Scream 1 & 2 for the first time in a while. they still rule. I forgot how bad Ulrich, Lillard, and Olyphant are though. LIke, somehow Jamie Kennedy is not the most annoying performance in either movie. quite an accomplishment.

David Arquette is a fucking genius, though.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby futurist » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:03 pm

i'm boxing net of the cuckoo birds now

futurist

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:14 pm

Awesome! Thanks!
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:02 pm

FourLegsGood wrote:Did anyone see the Black Christmas reimagining? Not really scary but it was a lot more fun than it had any right to be.

I saw it on christmas eve. I thought it was pretty bad but appreciated sophia takal & april wolfe's fresh spin on the material (college slasher flick as commentary on rape cultureToggle Spoiler). I read afterward that they were purposefully making the film for a younger audience in mind, hence the pg-13. I'm afraid that doesn't excuse how shoddy it is technically though

yesterday I saw a double feature of the color out of space + underwater. perfect combo. both highly recommended!

did anyone see the grudge? excited to catch that on video
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby dreamshake » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:25 pm

anyone seen this? airing on tcm underground tomorrow night. looks fun as hell.
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby head gardener » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:53 pm

head gardener

Postby aububs » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:01 pm

^i'm not sure about that one. looks kind of boring ha

going to a double bill tomorrow night of the remake of The Grudge and something called The Turning? hmmmm
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby head gardener » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:19 pm

no it's really good and the music is excellent too, if you enjoyed The Witch you'll like it, check this one out too

head gardener

Postby goofjan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:15 am

The Turning is a shit-looking Turn of the Screw adaptation/remake of The Innocents with Deborah Kerr, which is fucking awesome, came out in the 60s and hasn't aged a day. scary as hell.

goofjan

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:21 am

Flanagan's update of the Turn of the Screw hits this fall anyway... why bother with this dogshit looking adaptation?

hiddenicon

Postby aububs » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:22 am

ohhh I didn't know that. The Innocents is great yeah. looks like I'm going to see two remakes tonight then
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby aububs » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:22 am

bothering with dogshit looking adaptations is where I'm a viking
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:30 am

goofjan wrote:The Turning is a shit-looking Turn of the Screw adaptation/remake of The Innocents with Deborah Kerr, which is fucking awesome, came out in the 60s and hasn't aged a day. scary as hell.

what do you wanna bet the new movie drops all underscoring of the incest implicationsToggle Spoiler that was in the near 60 year old The Innocents?

hiddenicon

Postby emotional fascism » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:47 pm

head gardener wrote:

man I hated this. I'm all about slow burns, but this frustrated me for it's whole run time. the slowest of the slow.

emotional fascism

Postby aububs » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 pm

the grudge and the turning are both bad. the grudge tries but flaps around and falls flat on its face. the turning isn't even trying. just a bunch of jump scares strung randomly together. i walked out about 10 minutes before the end. still, i've probably seen worse!
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby shacky » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:01 pm

damn this page is a bummer

shacky

Postby DisposableGriot » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:32 pm

The Nest of the Cuckoo Bird is streaming for free on Refn's bynwr site (just requires e-mail signup). Apparently he's also responsible for funding the restoration.

bynwr.com
le sigh

DisposableGriot

Postby futurist » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:04 pm

he is. it was a part of his 'regional cinema' project or something. the rip i uploaded is the same as the one on his site.

futurist

Postby fresh salad » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:32 pm

Possessor looks like it might rule?
Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner

fresh salad

Postby odilon redon » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:34 am

just watched the the blackcoats daughter. it was pretty cheesy overall but all horror films dealing with the intersection between femininity and the occult are extremely my jam so i had a blast with it

odilon redon

Postby Disko aka Disco » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:14 pm

hearing Come to Daddy is pretty weird, gonna watch this weekend (not horror per say)

Disko aka Disco

Postby jca » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:11 am

the lodge was really bad

jca

Postby Disko aka Disco » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:15 pm

VFW is now out, saw it with the cast/crew at Beyond fest and had fun with it..yall might dig it.

Disko aka Disco

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:15 am

The director of Be My Cat just randomly added me on Letterboxd. That was a pretty delightful surprise.

Watched all four Hatchet movies over the weekend. They’re entertaining but I wish I liked them more. I always enjoy seeing Tony Todd pop up in movies though.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby aububs » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:23 am

I've seen one or two hatchet movies but didn't like them enough to watch the rest of them

finally watched color out of space last weekend. not perfect but I liked it. I found the cronenbergy bit near the end to be genuinely upsetting tbh. the mother's role was odd. her job as some sort of stock-broker with clients seemed completely unnecessary and tacked on, but I really liked how her character seemed, from what I've read, to be very obviously inspired my stanley's own mother, and her battle with cancer, and her enthusiasm for lovecraft. and what happens to the mother and the son in the movie is a lot more affective in that light.
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby BlackSugar » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:31 pm

watched the recent black christmas movie the other day, fully prepared to go along with a dumb, mass-produced horror movie (which I am often a fan of) but man, I was just irritated throughout it

the movie cheats, constantly. there's a scene where a character is searching a room and then walks out of the room into a hallway, with a dramatic shot of the killer suddenly being right behind her. wait, so where was he? and a scene of a character chilling in her apartment, then opening the front door and looking for the source of a noise, and then goes back inside and of course the killer is right there. or a character running through a neighborhood banging on multiple doors and finally when a porch light comes on, the door is opened by the killer. or when a character abruptly leaves a party and goes to an upstairs junk room to contemplate, and the killer is there waiting for her. how did he know she'd come into that room? and since we learn at the end that there's multiple killers dressed in the same scary costume, it makes me wonder, was there also a killer waiting in the basement or in the upstairs bathroom waiting for something to happen and instead had to spend hours on their phone killing time? and how psyched was the killer in the junk room when the character walked in. "holy shit! I'm on!"Toggle Spoiler

so I felt this movie was a net negative

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby goofjan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 am

I watched Sweetheart and I mostly liked it but I think they kinda fumbled the ball. it's the movie said, "hey would you like to see the last 20 minutes of Predator stretched out to 80 minutes and with Kiersey Clemons?" and I was like, "uh... sure! that sounds great." and it was! but then they introduced the two most annoying characters I've seen in a while and it all kinda falls apart. the movie was doing just fine without dialogue but once everyone starts talking, everything that's subtle becomes unbearably obvious and it's just boring.Toggle Spoiler

cool creature design though. and good scares.

goofjan

Postby jack » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:20 pm

i went to see the lodge tonight and it was very bad.

jack

Postby auspice » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:31 am

jalapeño ranch wrote:The director of Be My Cat just randomly added me on Letterboxd. That was a pretty delightful surprise.

Watched all four Hatchet movies over the weekend. They’re entertaining but I wish I liked them more. I always enjoy seeing Tony Todd pop up in movies though.

funny you brought up Hatchet after that director comment, Joe Lynch is a regular at the same rental place I'm a member of so I've seen him before. seems like a ice guy.

I know Pattinson also goes there so I'm crossing my fingers that our paths cross one day
We can't stop here -- this is Night Country!

auspice

Postby auspice » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:33 am

jack wrote:i went to see the lodge tonight and it was very bad.

jfc I agree. total piece of shit, makes a strong case for Rotten Tomatoes updating their scoring metrics (it's currently certified fresh for some godawful reason).

it felt very badly like NEON wanted to have their won A24 horror hit and snatched this up at Sundance as soon as they saw that it had good cinematography, slow pacing and the main IT kid. but it's such a fucking snoozefest with one of the stupidest, hard-to-take-seriously twists I've ever seen. and not in the fun way like Serenity.
We can't stop here -- this is Night Country!

auspice

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley