Dedicated Horror Nerd Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby manvstrees » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:29 am

is dunwich best lovecraft or worst lovecraft
Slartisfgh is never mentioned in The Bible, but it is here, during one of the early battles, that Matthew spontaneously became liquid.
Radiation trace: negligible

manvstrees

Postby Patchouli Jim » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:36 am

So of the stories I have read so far, which includes Dunwhich, I think it is weaker because it is the story which the monster is most explicitly described, and has the most widespread encounter with people and stuff so far. I think one of the strengths in Lovecraft's work is the hinting at the horrors and letting you as the reader just understand it is terrifying rather than describing it. The idea that some weird inbred family worships the old ones and is trying to incarnate them on earth is scaryToggle Spoiler. To actually have them so concretely described, and that some professors can banish them out of the realm and kill themToggle Spoiler cheapens it, and makes them seem sorta weak. It's like why True Detective Season 1 is horrible at the end. I'd rather not have seen the family and carcosa, but they could have hinted at it.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby aububs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:38 am

Spooky Jim wrote:Also, I haven't read Swamp Thing in a long time, but now realizing that Alan Moore is a big Lovecraft fan puts his version more in perspective I think.

that's a really good call and something I hadn't thought of

love swampy sooo much
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby manvstrees » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:44 am

answer is best despite how it breaks most of his rules
distills everything from unseen local massacre, distant cosmic deep time horror, pure satanism, superhero sorcerer librarians
watching the shit go down through the scope on the hilltop is such a perfect horror climax
Slartisfgh is never mentioned in The Bible, but it is here, during one of the early battles, that Matthew spontaneously became liquid.

manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:47 am

Spooky Jim wrote:So of the stories I have read so far, which includes Dunwhich, I think it is weaker because it is the story which the monster is most explicitly described, and has the most widespread encounter with people and stuff so far. I think one of the strengths in Lovecraft's work is the hinting at the horrors and letting you as the reader just understand it is terrifying rather than describing it. The idea that some weird inbred family worships the old ones and is trying to incarnate them on earth is scaryToggle Spoiler. To actually have them so concretely described, and that some professors can banish them out of the realm and kill themToggle Spoiler cheapens it, and makes them seem sorta weak. It's like why True Detective Season 1 is horrible at the end. I'd rather not have seen the family and carcosa, but they could have hinted at it.

thats interesting cause in td you still never see a thing, you just see cole have another acid vision and a mundane killer that made an art installation that let him echo his voice a bunch, and then they don't catch the higher conspirators

same in dunwich to me that description isn't concrete at all, more like barker's iad uroborous once they manifest and roam through town, where they are writhing engines that are impossible to catch with the eye
the dunwich things are big shuggoth tentacle masses right? one of them manifests the family's faces for a minute but i never thought of this as a clear thing that can be visualized

manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:48 am

youd probably be interested in how moore tries to tackle lovecrafts racism and victoran mindset, but moore's bawdy progressive versions feel similarly stale to me

manvstrees

Postby Patchouli Jim » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Oh, do I need to go back and watch TD season 1's last episode? Maybe I misinterpreted the ending. I'll check out that Moore comic.

I took the description of the monsters in Dunwich to be pretty explicit. After they find Wilbur's body in the library it seems pretty explicit. He is like a mass of tentacles and snakes or something. His brother is a bit more vaguely described, as it is from the perspective of the people at a distance and him flashing into view for only a moment.Toggle Spoiler I definitely enjoyed the story, but I think that like, The Namesless City, or The Festival or even Whisperer in the Dark have a scarier tone over all.Such as, in Whisperer in the Dark, the vagueness of what was really going on while the protagonist lies in the bed a Ackley's house, hearing the conspirers talking downstairs. That to me felt like a truly terrifying moment rather than a sorta grandious adventure. It is very intimate and present.Toggle Spoiler

Oh, I remember another old horror thing that I read and rules: Melmoth the Wanderer. Anyone else read that?
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby smelts » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:06 pm

looking for a couple movies this to complete my Christmas horror watch list

Feeders
Feeders 2: Slay Bells
Jack Frost 2: Revenge Of The Mutant Killer Snowman

if anybody has any of these they could throw in the dropbox i would be eternally grateful!

smelts

Postby futurist » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:52 pm

i have both Feeders but haven't been able to log into the dropbox in weeks for some reason

futurist

Postby Honk For Dracula » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:23 pm

love that Joe Bob is becoming the ambassador of Shudder

Honk For Dracula

Postby Honk For Dracula » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:23 pm

(he's hosting Phantasm 1-4 btw)

Honk For Dracula

Postby a falsetto child » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:32 pm

Anyone else been having a bunch of issues with the Letterboxed app lately? Seems like search doesn’t work 70% of the time anymore.

a falsetto child

Postby Mesh » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Robo-Chachi wrote:Anyone else been having a bunch of issues with the Letterboxed app lately? Seems like search doesn’t work 70% of the time anymore.

Yeah, app and site both Gremlins a lot.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby a is jump » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:04 pm

Super late to the Mike Flanagan train, but just watched Absentia and thought it was really effective. I dug the uneasy atmosphere throughout, fueled by the amount of handheld camera and the droney score. I can be a sucker for movies that play on whether the horror is purely psychological or if it's actually "happening," and Absentia rode that line really well as it was building the story. Honestly, to tie in to the current topic, it was a little Lovecraftian in a lot of ways in how it kept most of the horror just out of reach and focused on the emotional fallout from largely unseen forces. Refreshing to see a low budget horror movie that doesn't depend on comedy, gore, T&A, or nostalgia.

Between Netflix and Prime, it looks like most of his stuff is pretty available to stream. Just no Oculus or Ouija. I'm assuming those are worth tracking down?

a is jump

Postby ahungbunny » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:40 pm

speaking of lovecraft, bird box is a mythos movie in every way but explicitly (and one particular thing that happens). i'm a sucker for anything along those lines and i'm stoked that it's getting a lot of attention

i never really thought lovecraft was a very compelling writer (i more love the ideas behind the writing) but spooky jim's convinced me to give him another chance. i'd also highly recommend the later robert e howard conan stories, which i can't seem to talk about enough around here. by this point he was on a similar weird wavelength to his bud howard p, just in a different (and more engaging, i'd argue) setting. this collection in particular is straight up fantasy horror

sucks they were both horrible racists

ahungbunny

Postby hiddenicon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Mesh wrote:
Robo-Chachi wrote:Anyone else been having a bunch of issues with the Letterboxed app lately? Seems like search doesn’t work 70% of the time anymore.

Yeah, app and site both Gremlins a lot.

yeah, they got some new servers which would speed things up, but then they hit a snag with implementing em.... theyre working on a fix to the bottleneck and say it might take a few weeks.

hiddenicon

Postby Riverchrist » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:33 pm

A later Lovecraft style story I just found is Notorious T.E.D. Klein's "The Events at Poroth Farm." It's 75% "The Colour Out of Space" and 25% "The Thing." He wrote it when he was about 24.

The narrator studies gothic horror (Melmoth etc.) and those books all tie into the story.

Riverchrist

Postby i am rich » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:09 pm

a is jump wrote:Super late to the Mike Flanagan train, but just watched Absentia and thought it was really effective. I dug the uneasy atmosphere throughout, fueled by the amount of handheld camera and the droney score. I can be a sucker for movies that play on whether the horror is purely psychological or if it's actually "happening," and Absentia rode that line really well as it was building the story. Honestly, to tie in to the current topic, it was a little Lovecraftian in a lot of ways in how it kept most of the horror just out of reach and focused on the emotional fallout from largely unseen forces. Refreshing to see a low budget horror movie that doesn't depend on comedy, gore, T&A, or nostalgia.

Between Netflix and Prime, it looks like most of his stuff is pretty available to stream. Just no Oculus or Ouija. I'm assuming those are worth tracking down?

yeah theyre all good
the flanaissance is now!!!
Eventsrova wrote:[b][size=14]Discover a World of farts

i am rich

Postby Ampersand » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:04 pm

Riverchrist wrote:A later Lovecraft style story I just found is Notorious T.E.D. Klein's "The Events at Poroth Farm." It's 75% "The Colour Out of Space" and 25% "The Thing." He wrote it when he was about 24.

The narrator studies gothic horror (Melmoth etc.) and those books all tie into the story.

His other major stories can be found in the killer Dark Gods story collection. Essential horror reading!

Ampersand

Postby Riverchrist » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks, I'll pick it up when I find it. I'm working through Peter Straub's 'American Fantastic Tales' and there's a lot that's new to me.

Thomas Tessier is another I'd never heard of, already ordered a book of his.

Riverchrist

Postby Riverchrist » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:52 pm

An American fuccboi in London meets a cosmetic surgeon and his murderously horny assisstant. Tessier slow plays everything, and only after 150 pages do you get Cronenberg style body horror. That doesn't really go anywhere except for speeches about power and fantasy etc. Hey, it was the '80s. This hasn't aged well but it's a sleazy novel written skillfully and that isn't easy. In a book of blood and banging, Tessier still knows when to write "barfed" instead of "vomited" because it is funnier.

There's nothing supernatural here, and no twist at the end though I thought I was noticing clear hints toward something more. It's almost a lot of things. Dorian Gray comes to mind, Faust... it could all be a low-key rumination on alcoholism. I can't quite recommend it but I'll look for more of his books.

Riverchrist

Postby Patchouli Jim » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:09 pm

ahungbunny wrote:speaking of lovecraft, bird box is a mythos movie in every way but explicitly (and one particular thing that happens). i'm a sucker for anything along those lines and i'm stoked that it's getting a lot of attention

i never really thought lovecraft was a very compelling writer (i more love the ideas behind the writing) but spooky jim's convinced me to give him another chance. i'd also highly recommend the later robert e howard conan stories, which i can't seem to talk about enough around here. by this point he was on a similar weird wavelength to his bud howard p, just in a different (and more engaging, i'd argue) setting. this collection in particular is straight up fantasy horror

sucks they were both horrible racists

Weird you just brought up Bird Box. My in-laws put it on the other night, but I missed it cause I had to put the baby to sleep. It looked really cool from what I saw.

The Conan mythos has always been really intriguing to me. This is a good tip - is it worthwhile to read them through in order? What other threads you discussing this in?

Patchouli Jim

Postby honkduh » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:29 pm

Splatter with Corey Feldman is on Netflix :D

After self righteous rockstar Jonny Splatter puts a bullet in his own head, only five people are chosen to attend the reading of Splatter's will. The manager, the shrink, the guitarist, the lover, and the groupie. Will they get what they came for or what Splatter thinks they deserve?

—Chad Wagner

honkduh

Postby i am rich » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 pm

satan's slaves was good if a little disjointed, and the end credits ruled

i am rich

Postby i am rich » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:27 pm

oh cool
well anyway id only seen ghost stories (liked a lot) and assassination nation (did not like) but dled the others today
havent watched the other two yet tho

lol edit forgot to post link i was talking about
https://www.cvltnation.com/5-horror-gem ... -missed-2/

i am rich

Postby aububs » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:53 pm

richard stanley is apparently making Colour Out of Space w/ nic cage

excited for that
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby aububs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:42 pm

i liked this. not perfect. not even really finished. but good. scary.

astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby i am rich » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:53 pm

aububs wrote:i liked this. not perfect. not even really finished. but good. scary.

yeah this was good but then the ending was like "oh i guess this is over huh"

i am rich

Postby a falsetto child » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Cross-post from the Netflix thread.

Robo-Chachi wrote:
Robo-Chachi wrote:Really looking forward to Kingdom coming out 1/25.

Enjoying this a lot so far. Good take on the zombie genre. Lot of groundwork laying in the first episode but everything is flat out bonkers by episode 3.

a falsetto child

Postby futurist » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:15 pm

hell yeah Harold rules

futurist

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley