Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Mesh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:39 pm

smelts wrote:
Mesh wrote:
Poptone wrote:also, i've just been stuck in a rut movie-wise lately.

everything i pick to watch turns out to be average at best and truly cellar-dwelling at worst

i actually made the conscious, sober choice to watch Annabelle the other night

i hate myself

i haven't learned anything cos i'll probably still watch the dumb annabelle prequel as well

Go seek out Alucarda, which Letterboxd tells me you haven't seen. Not average by any stretch.

Anybody have this subbed or dubbed they can throw in the dropbox? All the streaming versions online are edited down from 85 to 77mins and the only good version on pirate bay won't download

So this is confusing, maybe someone can help: I believe the movie was shot in English, so there's that. As for the runtime, I have not seen an 85 version available anywhere. Six files on PTP, all 77 min. IMDB says 78. I have a 77 min version where English is spoken and matches the images.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
Mesh

Postby Ampersand » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:13 pm

Mesh wrote:
smelts wrote:
Mesh wrote:

everything i pick to watch turns out to be average at best and truly cellar-dwelling at worst

i hate myself

i haven't learned anything cos i'll probably still watch the dumb annabelle prequel as well

Go seek out Alucarda, which Letterboxd tells me you haven't seen. Not average by any stretch.

Anybody have this subbed or dubbed they can throw in the dropbox? All the streaming versions online are edited down from 85 to 77mins and the only good version on pirate bay won't download

So this is confusing, maybe someone can help: I believe the movie was shot in English, so there's that. As for the runtime, I have not seen an 85 version available anywhere. Six files on PTP, all 77 min. I have a 77 min version where English is spoken and matches the images.

That's the only version that's available. Not sure where the idea of an 85 minute version came from. Download with confidence!
Ampersand

Postby FourLegsGood » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:17 pm

Rhodes wrote:I spoiled the new Pet Sematary for myself the other night and ended up spooking myself. Had to leave the lamp on in my room. The third act sounds real nutty.

Saw this tonight. Lithgow was great. Movie was serviceable if not really dull for the first 2/3. Third act went off the rails and was over really quickly. Absolutely hated how they made Ellie an action movie villain with her hackneyed one liners. I mean, her initial line of questioning as to what she was and whether she was dead was the only uniquely interesting thing the movie had given us and then five minutes later she's pure evil and cribbing dialogue from Hans Gruber for some reason.Toggle Spoiler

Rating: 5 out of 10 skulls.
#weirdnight
FourLegsGood

Postby aububs » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:46 am

i really liked it. thought it was a blast and i was p scared throughout. i disagree that the thing you mention is the only uniquely interesting thing about the movie. i think the central question of pet sematary (the book, both movies) of "would you bring it back, even if it had changed?" is really interesting and is why it's such a good premise in general, and i think this version of the story investigated that pretty well. i thought it was a good horror movie.
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby FourLegsGood » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:04 am

aububs wrote:i really liked it. thought it was a blast and i was p scared throughout. i disagree that the thing you mention is the only uniquely interesting thing about the movie. i think the central question of pet sematary (the book, both movies) of "would you bring it back, even if it had changed?" is really interesting and is why it's such a good premise in general, and i think this version of the story investigated that pretty well. i thought it was a good horror movie.

I was saying uniquely interesting wrt to this version of the film, i.e. something that it did that wasn't present in the original. It was fine and thinking back I remembered that I really liked the scene where we see the shadow of the Wendigo moving out in the swamp landsToggle Spoiler. I thought everyone put in competent performances but the last act just wrapped up too quickly for me.
#weirdnight
FourLegsGood

Postby Disko aka Disco » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:14 am

3/10 for me, thought it was boring and air brushed polished version of the '89.
Not needed!
Disko aka Disco

Postby smelts » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Ampersand wrote:
Mesh wrote:
smelts wrote:
Mesh wrote:

i hate myself

So this is confusing, maybe someone can help: I believe the movie was shot in English, so there's that. As for the runtime, I have not seen an 85 version available anywhere. Six files on PTP, all 77 min. I have a 77 min version where English is spoken and matches the images.

That's the only version that's available. Not sure where the idea of an 85 minute version came from. Download with confidence!

yeah my bad on that, google and wikipedia both have it at 85 and then I saw an "Uncut" version on TPB and assumed that was the case. I had the same issue with Ken Russell's The Devils a few years back, the internet is a confusing place :/
smelts

Postby i am rich » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:26 pm

escape room was not very good lol
i am rich

Postby Mesh » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:23 pm

The Devils runtime/cut/uncut situation is legit confusing.
Mesh

Postby aububs » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:43 pm

i am rich wrote:escape room was not very good lol

ha, yr right of course but i kinda liked it. reminded me of the belko experiment which i also enjoyed. i think i have just super low standards when it comes to horror movies or something i dunno. people itt are always like this sucks, that sucked, this was shit, that was laaame, and i kinda enjoy nearly everything on some level

another thing i liked about pet sematary was its dim view of things that american films usually treat with sacrosanct sentimentality
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby hiddenicon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Heading to a double feature of Tourist Trap and The Children (1980) at an old movie palace that was rented out tonight for a private showing (ie, donation only). Never seen Tourist Trap, so I'm pretty fucking stoked... seems like a great place to see a movie like this.

hiddenicon

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:41 pm

Tourist Trap is soooo good

thanks for the Alucarda shout-out Mesh, that one was on my watchlist forever and i needed that push to finally watch it. I quite enjoyed it, even if I didn't really love it. Lots of wheel-spinning in the front half. i also made the mistake of watching it while very sleepy but the climax sure woke me up!

and then last night I watched The Seventh Curse and I think it's safe to say I feel enlivened again and have my mojo back

Poptone
cat fan

Postby hiddenicon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:04 pm

yeah, i also grabbed Alucarda... looking forward to checking it out, so thanks.
hiddenicon

Postby i am rich » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 pm

aububs wrote:
i am rich wrote:escape room was not very good lol

ha, yr right of course but i kinda liked it. reminded me of the belko experiment which i also enjoyed. i think i have just super low standards when it comes to horror movies or something i dunno. people itt are always like this sucks, that sucked, this was shit, that was laaame, and i kinda enjoy nearly everything on some level

another thing i liked about pet sematary was its dim view of things that american films usually treat with sacrosanct sentimentality

oh i definitely enjoyed it on one or more levels
i am rich

Postby aububs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:52 pm

i love alucarda and have posted itt before about it. it's one of the most satanic movies ever. i agree the first half is not full throttle.

moctezuma's first film House of Madness aka Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon (aka other things too i'm sure) is also worth a watch. he was a friend and collaborator of jodorowski's and i think the jodo influence can really be seen in that movie.

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:17 pm

think i'm just gonna stick with Lam Nai-Choi tonight and finally watch Riki-Oh
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:18 pm

house of madness looks intense, adding to the watchlist
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Mesh » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:01 pm

Agree with all about Alucarda, it has flaws of repetition and unfunny nonsense but I do think that it deals in the tonal extremes and unhinged execution that kind of put me in mind of some of the all-time greats. It's one of those where, even if you've seen hundreds of horror movies, you haven't quite seen that, at that level, especially at the climax. I'll give the first Moctezuma a try too, was hoping for tad bit more Jodorowsky in Alucarda.
Mesh

Postby Poptone » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:51 pm

So, Pet Sematary was fairly bland. I didn't outright dislike it but it did nothing for me.

how is it possible they made everything look like a draber version of the '89 film. the cemetery itself, the micmac burial ground, etc.

i was okay with all of the changes they made, particularly regarding ellie dying instead of gageToggle Spoiler but then they barely explored all of the interesting territory that change opens up

church and the cats who played him are very good boys, however, and i hope they got lots and lots of treats
Poptone
cat fan

Postby RIXX » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Just saw pet samatary too. Also thought it was bland but I didn’t regret seeing it. The only really creepy part was hearing Ellie return (the door creaking open in the night) and the first couple of interactions with the dad in the bed, the bath etc. The little girl actress played that well and I loved the misaligned eyes makeup. Very messy movie overall and very dumb, I had a nice rapport with this random bro next to me, we had a good time laughing at the stupid parts together. I had fun I think
RIXX

Postby RIXX » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:43 pm

There was a trailer for a film with a stepmom and two kids who have to spend three days in this house during a snowstorm, I forgot the name but it looked good
RIXX

Postby emotional fascism » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Tourist Trap is the first movie I ever remember fucking me up real good. They used to show it on one of the free over the air stations every other Saturday (it seemed) when I was like 10 years old and it felt like the scariest thing I'd ever seen (though I'm sure it was edited for TV).
emotional fascism

Postby hiddenicon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:19 pm

it was a lot of fun... not sure how it got by me this long. I grew up with The Children, but being in a group and free of distraction was a great way to rewatch it. seeing Psycho and Psycho 2 next week.
hiddenicon

Postby futurist » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:28 pm

Happy Death Day 2U (2019) - meh, i'm bored of this

Death House (2017) - this was ambitious but so bad. like a very unfortunate bland version of 31. lol @ sid haig "because TECHNOLOGY!"
futurist

Postby smelts » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:48 am

Spring list so far:

1. Spookies
2. Body Parts
3. It’s Alive
4.Feeders
5. C.H.U.D.
6. April Fool’s Day
7. Get Out
8. The Beyond
9. Tales From The Crypt
10. Dr. Terror’s House Of Horrors
11. Alucarda

After watching Tales From The Crypt on a whim from seeing it on Shudder and following up with Dr. Terror, kinda went down a rabbit hole looking up Amicus/Tigon stuff. Really dig the look of Freddy Francis movies so far, and the gf is a huge mark for anything Lee/Cushing/Price related, so gearing up for a pretty heavy British horror dive this season
smelts

Postby Spooky Jim » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:17 pm

aububs wrote:i love alucarda and have posted itt before about it. it's one of the most satanic movies ever. i agree the first half is not full throttle.

moctezuma's first film House of Madness aka Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon (aka other things too i'm sure) is also worth a watch. he was a friend and collaborator of jodorowski's and i think the jodo influence can really be seen in that movie.

Woah, this looks sick.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?
Spooky Jim

Postby aububs » Wed May 01, 2019 3:58 pm

i have no idea what happens in the last 60 seconds of this movie. it left me totally confused. but i really liked it. it's not perfect by any means and it's a little heavy on the lead characters and not enough of the incubus, but it has john cassavetes, quite a few kills, and enormous demon cums. just that last 60 seconds were...odd

seriously cool poster

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby landspeedrecord » Wed May 01, 2019 4:29 pm

futurist wrote:Happy Death Day 2U (2019) - meh, i'm bored of this

real talk: I don't even know if this qualifies as a horror film

sure, it's the sequel to a slasher flick, but it more or less immediately abandons that premise in favor of a sci-fi rom-com
rather be an idiot than a sheeple
landspeedrecord

Postby Poptone » Fri May 03, 2019 12:35 pm

killer croc/gator movies are one of my favorite sub-genres so i am all-in on this
Poptone
cat fan

Postby Robo-Chachi » Fri May 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Amazon Prime will have all of the Friday the 13th movies starting May 31st.
Robo-Chachi

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....