Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Bartatua » Fri May 03, 2019 1:37 pm

poptone post a review of riki-oh
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby futurist » Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 am

trying to save money and do some studying this week, so instead of ever leaving my house and having fun i've been doing some random number roulette with my letterboxd watchlist (which is mostly bad horror) to get me back into regular watching

Color Me Blood Red (1965) - the only Blood Trilogy entry i had yet to see. not my favorite. HGG is actually USING his camera in this one, which is interesting to see, but not as charming as the rough nature of the others. it's pretty self-referential which leads to some humorous dialogue. fun movie.

Hellraiser: Judgement (2018) - uhhhh no. i never saw the one that preceded this but i doubt it matters. this thread was pretty entertaining though https://letterboxd.com/pd187/film/hellraiser-judgment/

Dead Is Dead (1992) - wow, i could stare at this one forever. i don't really care what the plot is, something about drugs and mutations, but the color pallet, the sickly lime greens, deep purples, washed out blues, all a result of it's static-y overexposed SOV nature, was amazing. really beautiful score for something of this capacity too.

Biohazard 4D: Executer (2000) - i don't really know what this is? it's from the resident evil universe... it's like a 20min cut scene from a video game? i don't know if it was constructed that way or if the technology used to animate it was a nintendo 64 or something, but it was ok. 8-year-old-boy sleepover material, i don't regret watching it

futurist

Postby futurist » Thu May 23, 2019 4:36 pm

random movie roulette hasn't been good to me. but i guess it's my fault cause i put this shit on my watchlist anyway.

Return to Horror High (1987) - a couple fun gags but probably the weakest slasher parody from this time

Fatal Pulse (1988) - bland synthy big hair aerobic slasher. kinda hits those moods right at times, but boring movie

Stranger in the House (1997) - i guess more of like, a tech home invasion thriller? was not into this

futurist

Postby fuckyoudad » Thu May 23, 2019 5:09 pm

Should have gone with Hider in the House (1989) starring Gary Busey
Note: mildly comedic.

fuckyoudad

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Mon May 27, 2019 5:29 pm

has anyone seen 'the wind'?

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby hiddenicon » Mon May 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:has anyone seen 'the wind'?

yo. i'd say "don't bother", but you can bother if you'd like. I found it pretty lacking. i'm happier pointing people towards shit i like rather than saying "stay away" from shit I don't. i could elucidate the reasons i dislike it, but then i'd be potentially poisoning the well and you'd skip it. i don't wanna convince you to not watch something you might enjoy. watch it. if you watch a shitty movie, you've watched a shitty movie... then we can talk.

but yeah. i didn't like it. :)
Last edited by hiddenicon on Mon May 27, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenicon

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Mon May 27, 2019 5:35 pm

i guess i'll watch 'the perfection' instead

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby hiddenicon » Mon May 27, 2019 5:41 pm

i mean, the fuck is my opinion worth in a vacuum, right?

have you seen Piercing yet?... not really a straight up horror, but it's pretty fucked up and i liked it.

hiddenicon

Postby hiddenicon » Mon May 27, 2019 5:46 pm

(also, thanks for the report futurist...)

hiddenicon

Postby futurist » Mon May 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965) - Amicus just ain't for me. good cast in this one. decent stories. but i was pretty bored outside of the "day of the triffids" story (which it turns out ended up being directed by the director of this anthology. maybe i'll check it out)

The Black Scorpion (1957) - loved the Mexican desert setting of this, and loved the scorpion effects considering it was more stop motion rather than overlaid footage. didn't like the what savior complex but hey, it was the 50s? :roll:

futurist

Postby futurist » Mon May 27, 2019 5:49 pm

hiddenicon wrote:(also, thanks for the report futurist...)

:ahuh:

futurist

Postby futurist » Wed May 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Bloody Murder (2000) - not sure why i've seen bloody murder 2 but not this one (i think i thrifted 2 on vhs way back when?) can't remember much about the second, but the first is some fine turn-of-the-millenium crystal lake slasher material. "trevor moorehouse" terrorizing teen campers in a hockey mask. it was fine, not as juvenile as other teen slashers from the time, actually well made.... how low have my standards fallen?

Us (2019) - thought this was great. only complaints are that it runs a little long, and i'm also a little sick of overrun abandoned post-apocalyptic scenarios, a la the purge/walking dead etcToggle Spoiler. will probably write more about this in the thread

Twisted Nightmare (1987) - so compared to Bloody Murder, here's a whole other style of Friday the 13th worship, including reused sets, but i dug it. nice score, kinda comforting.

futurist

Postby futurist » Thu May 30, 2019 8:14 pm

new annabelle trailer looks dumb as hell. what's new. also playing at imax? lol

futurist

Postby CudNylon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:39 pm

this might be too icky for me, cgi be damned. I'll brave it though through squeamish eyes.

CudNylon

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:51 pm

I guess Oh Susanna isn't going to be in the movie otherwise that image would have made it in the trailer.
That's the one that scared me the most as a kid.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby Riverchrist » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:11 pm

I don’t know whether this is *strictly* horror but I found it in one of the old Alfred Hitchcock-branded anthologies I had as a kid (full text PDF):

"Side Bet " by Will F. Jenkins

Riverchrist

Postby Spooky Jim » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:35 pm

I just finished watching House (1985) and it was not at all like I had expected. For years I had planned to watch this film, and for some reason thought it was going to be really dark and gritty. I didn't realize it starred William Kat. It has a lot of elements from other horror movies at the time - Poltergeist with the kid being sucked into this ethereal dimension for a long period of time and returning as well as that monster that jumps out of the closet seems like a few of the monsters in Poltergeist.Toggle SpoilerThe tone, however, feels like a Peter Jackson horror comedy, as do the monster costumes and puppets. The movie though that I feel it is most kindred to though in the narrative is Jacob's Ladder! A Vietnam vet struggles with his post-traumatic stress from the war, as well as the loss of a young son, and the guilt of these experiences take the form of literal demons he must face off against in order to forgive himself.Toggle Spoiler Really a weird movie, better than I had anticipated.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby futurist » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:48 am

i think the whole series is a ton of fun. each installment has nothing to do with the last and the tone is all over the place. super goofy.

futurist

Postby Poptone » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:50 am

Bartatua wrote:poptone post a review of riki-oh

i somehow missed this earlier.

the film's not fresh in my mind anymore but I really dug it!

i'm sure glad human bodies aren't actually that malleable

it felt very much like a video game where Riki is just progressing through the levels onto bigger and badder bosses and i'm not complaining about that

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Kevin McCallister » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Any of y'all see Ma yet? Can't do a search, too short of a query.
Anyway lemme know if Ma is good or great.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby Mesh » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 pm

House is probably the first horror movie I ever eagerly anticipated and then was disappointed by. Because it was too much funny and not enough scary.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:53 pm

I'm attempting to average one horror film a day this year, and while I've had to wade through some truly terrible movies, I've come across some very pleasant surprises. A few standouts...

If anybody has some more good recs to check out, I'd be very thankful! I can also upload what I've seen if anybody else wants them.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby emotional fascism » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Love The Mephisto Waltz. Jacqueline Bisset chanting out to Satan topless on a bathroom floor is seared into my brain.

emotional fascism

Postby futurist » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:42 pm

race with the devil rules

futurist

Postby Peter Criss » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:07 am

do you mind upping all 3 jalapeno? I haven't seen any of them and they all sound dope

Peter Criss

Postby aububs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:17 pm

devil times five is an absolute classic and one of the best psycho kids movies. iirc the kids kill a guy and then turn him into a snowman, one of the kids dresses up in womens clothes and puts on makeup and acts like he's gonna seduce an old man? woman gets eaten by pirhanas in the bath i think?...turns out the kids are all from a mental asylum and just kill fuckin everyone, very coolToggle Spoiler
no buddy not really

aububs

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Peter Criss wrote:do you mind upping all 3 jalapeno? I haven't seen any of them and they all sound dope

Will up them once I get off work tonight.

jalapeño ranch

Postby Spooky Jim » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:33 pm

does anyone have the manitou?
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby Peter Criss » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:44 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:
Peter Criss wrote:do you mind upping all 3 jalapeno? I haven't seen any of them and they all sound dope

Thanks so much! No rush

Peter Criss

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:20 am

Peter Criss wrote:
jalapeño ranch wrote:

Thanks so much! No rush

All three should be up now.

jalapeño ranch

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....