Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:19 pm

like most of you, i always do a two-month long horror marathon during sept/oct. normally it's just "things i haven't seen/with some classics i watch every year" thing with no intent but i think this year i want to go real specific and get into some good satanic/occult/dark pagan stuff if anyone has recs. i've seen a lot of the classics (omen, wicker man, blood on satan's claw, etc.) but feel free to recommend even obvious-seeming stuff because even if you're just reminding me to re-watch something i've seen already that'd be sweet.

light rail coyote

Postby goofjan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:39 pm

I havent watched it yet but Burn, Witch, Burn looks pretty awesome and I can't believe I hadn't heard of it before. it's streaming on Prime.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:01 pm

I watched Blood On Satan’s claws last year and it was pretty cool, and now I have the Witch Hunter General on my list. Also, have you ever seen Eyes of Fire?
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:03 pm

If not, watch it immediately. It rules. Eyes of Fire that is. I think it is up on YouTube.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby Zardoz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:17 pm

I remember flipping it on late one night half asleep and it freaked me out something fierce.

Zardoz

Postby futurist » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:20 pm

brilliant. i love roberta findlay.

can't WAIT to follow Coffin Joe through a few more films. and suddenly White Zombie's La Sexorcisto makes a lot more sense.

futurist

Postby light rail coyote » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Spooky Jim wrote:If not, watch it immediately. It rules. Eyes of Fire that is. I think it is up on YouTube.

this looks sick. thanks!

i've still never seen witchfinder general because i've never been able to find a working torrent, which sucks because it sounds incredible.

light rail coyote

Postby aububs » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:51 pm

light rail coyote wrote:like most of you, i always do a two-month long horror marathon during sept/oct. normally it's just "things i haven't seen/with some classics i watch every year" thing with no intent but i think this year i want to go real specific and get into some good satanic/occult/dark pagan stuff if anyone has recs. i've seen a lot of the classics (omen, wicker man, blood on satan's claw, etc.) but feel free to recommend even obvious-seeming stuff because even if you're just reminding me to re-watch something i've seen already that'd be sweet.

Alucarda
All the Colours of the Dark
Lovely Molly
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Left Bank
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby auspice » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:24 am

light rail coyote wrote:like most of you, i always do a two-month long horror marathon during sept/oct. normally it's just "things i haven't seen/with some classics i watch every year" thing with no intent but i think this year i want to go real specific and get into some good satanic/occult/dark pagan stuff if anyone has recs. i've seen a lot of the classics (omen, wicker man, blood on satan's claw, etc.) but feel free to recommend even obvious-seeming stuff because even if you're just reminding me to re-watch something i've seen already that'd be sweet.

I've done this exact same thing before and totally forgot it's already September. There's a ton of stuff in my various watchlists but I think 31 for October is good enough. It probably wasn't gonna be that good but I'm still bummed Universal cancelled The Hunt's release :evil:

auspice

Postby aububs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:11 pm

some friends of mine made a movie. and it's really good! for real, not just saying that. i belly laughed all the way through. and the ending is nuts. recommended if you like stuff like Grabbers, Father Ted, Taika Waikiki (you should like all those things)

astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Are we excited for Villains?
dead was real dumb

deadwolfbones

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:46 pm

what are the legit good horrors that came out this year? feel like it's been lacking in the Good Shit

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby hiddenicon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:57 am

Just did the first 2 parts of a triple feature at my local drive-in of Friday the 13th 2-4 (skipped pt 4... I know, but I got sleepy.) Nearly sold out. Full moon. 68 degrees. May have snuck a joint. Some great old school trailers (nearly 30 minutes worth) ran with it, including:

The Burning
My Bloody Valentine
Prom Night
Graduation Day
Final Exam
Night School
Hell Night
Just Before Dawn
The Shining
The Final Conflict: Omen 3
Fear No Evil
Amityville Horror
The Thing
Alone in the Dark
Halloween 1 and 2
Funhouse
The Fog and Phantasm Double Bill

Good time.

hiddenicon

Postby auspice » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:21 am

Always looking for horror recs as I'm finding it increasingly hard to find stuff I like.

Some of my all time favs below if it helps with a good rec (excluding obvious historical classics)

28 Days Later
Altered States
Audition
The Believers
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Burning
Candyman
A Dark Song
Demon Seed
The Descent
Don't Look Now
Eden Lake
The Faculty
The Guest
Hard Candy
I Saw the Devil
In a Glass Cage
The Invitation
Lake Mungo
Mandy
Nightbreed
Orphan
Possession
Raw
[REC] & [REC] 2
The Skin I Live In
Spring
Us
Videodrome
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Wolf Creek

I guess in general I like really well-acted slow-burns where things just get progressively wrong and scary or really visceral films that still feel realistic enough that you can imagine yourself in place of the characters and get real freaked out.

auspice

Postby aububs » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:44 am

auspice wrote:I guess in general I like really well-acted slow-burns where things just get progressively wrong and scary or really visceral films that still feel realistic enough that you can imagine yourself in place of the characters and get real freaked out.

toad road
pontypool
let's scare jessica 2 DEF
wake in fright
session 9
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:02 am

I’m about 325 horror movies into this year now, with the list being ranked roughly from favorite to least favorite. Not sure if that helps as far as recs go but I can be more specific with recs that fit that description better later when I'm not on my phone.

I definitely recommend Calvaire as far as horror films that fall into a slow descent go though.

https://boxd.it/2sTf6

Currently adding The Banana Splits Movie and Satanic Panic to the DB. Not sure I’d recommend either but they’re pretty fun.
Last edited by jalapeño ranch on Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

jalapeño ranch

Postby auspice » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:09 am

aububs wrote:
auspice wrote:I guess in general I like really well-acted slow-burns where things just get progressively wrong and scary or really visceral films that still feel realistic enough that you can imagine yourself in place of the characters and get real freaked out.

toad road
pontypool
let's scare jessica 2 DEF
wake in fright
session 9

Haven't seen Toad Road or the Jessica one, I'll check those out

auspice

Postby smelts » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:08 pm

i don't usually ride for slow burns much but I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House and The Blackcoat's Daughter are probably two of the best slow burns I've seen in recent memory

smelts

Postby auspice » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:18 pm

smelts wrote:i don't usually ride for slow burns much but I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House and The Blackcoat's Daughter are probably two of the best slow burns I've seen in recent memory

I've seen Blackcoat's Daughter but wasn't into it at all, it was a snoozefest for me. Haven't seen Pretty Thing but got the impression that it wasn't very good.

In terms of slow burns I do like The Invitation was damn near perfect in that arena for me. And Don't Look Now is probably the best slow burn horror I've ever seen.

auspice

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:29 pm

My slow burner recs would be:

Calvaire
Rituals
Vinyan
The Vanishing
Snowtown
Race with the Devil
Martin
Threads
House on the Edge of the Park
Kidnapped
Gerald’s Game
Killing Ground

I feel like Snowtown, Killing Ground, The Vanishing, and Calvaire would fit what you're looking for in particular. Snowtown is an absolutely suffocating movie.

jalapeño ranch

Postby parapet » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:03 am

i remember liking Anguish (87) and Next of Kin (82) which were kind of slow burns

parapet

Postby FourLegsGood » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:20 am

Just watched Gerald’s Game and it genuinely unnerved me in a way horror films seldom do.
#weirdnight

FourLegsGood

Postby high bias » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:29 am

definitely check out the witch if you haven’t yet. one of my favorite films of the past decade

high bias

Postby Tuba Gooding Jr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:47 am

Cure is my vote for an unnerving slow-burn.
I'm gifted and gonna sell sex

Tuba Gooding Jr

Postby Tuba Gooding Jr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:54 am

The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988) - It's fairly enjoyable to watch Bill Pullman stumble through Haiti. I mean that literally btw. It probably holds a record for the most drug-induced staggering caught on film.

I'm gifted and gonna sell sex

Tuba Gooding Jr

Postby auspice » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:53 am

I've seen Snowtown, The Witch and Serpent. Definitely gonna look at the others though, good recs.

Haven't seen Gerald's Game but I did read the book a long time ago, it was definitely the last work of Stephen King I ever expected to be adapted for the screen. In the book ending, the detectives discover a literal necklace of severed dicks that the guy was keeping.

auspice

Postby futurist » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:33 pm

does anyone know where to stream rob zombie's making of Halloween or 31 documentaries?

futurist

Postby goofjan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:35 pm

I finally saw Phantasm. I'm glad I read Coscarelli's book first. I think I actually enjoyed the movie more knowing the story behind it. it's definitely a more ramshackle final product than I envisioned but it was a lot of fun to watch with friends. I'd like to see the sequels. the original score was amazing, obviously. and the picture looked fantastic thanks to the Bad Robot restoration.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:23 pm

I'm being asked to help throw together a compilation of horror movie trailers, segments from anthologies, old commercials, etc. for a friend's Halloween party this year. I did one a few years ago and it was a blast.

Looking for recommendations on what I should include this time around.

For reference, this was my compilation last time:

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

All I know for sure is I will once again be including this.

jalapeño ranch

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....