Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Parson Floogle » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:18 am

light rail coyote wrote:like most of you, i always do a two-month long horror marathon during sept/oct. normally it's just "things i haven't seen/with some classics i watch every year" thing with no intent but i think this year i want to go real specific and get into some good satanic/occult/dark pagan stuff if anyone has recs. i've seen a lot of the classics (omen, wicker man, blood on satan's claw, etc.) but feel free to recommend even obvious-seeming stuff because even if you're just reminding me to re-watch something i've seen already that'd be sweet.

A Dark Song is the best occult film I have seen in a long while. Also I don't think it is comparable to any other film as is a very original piece of work, it isn't a traditional horror set up by any means.

Parson Floogle

Postby shacky » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:35 am

yea that's a p good one

shacky

Postby Momofuku » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:43 am

I'd love to know of more movies like A Dark Song and the canon "Folk Horror" films that I know
I've missed-

especially anything upped to the SAMHAIN folder would be great-
I have some oldies I could up there again too-
Robin Redbreast, The Shout, etc

Momofuku

Postby odilon redon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:01 am

this has some cool imagery in it i think

odilon redon

Postby R C » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:15 am

thanks for the uploads, jalapeño ranch
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

Postby shacky » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:50 am

oh man gretel and hansel looks sick

oz perkins > all the other trendy horror auteurs rn

shacky

Postby odilon redon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:23 am

yeah i guess i gotta check out the blackcoat's daugther. was just whelmed by pretty thing that lives in the house

odilon redon

Postby R C » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:40 am

saw Blackcoat’s Daughter at TIFF in 2015 and Perkins was the biggest asshole
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

Postby shacky » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:51 am

he's actually seemed notably chill to me in interviews and stuff

maybe he was just stressed out that night..

shacky

Postby emotional fascism » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:55 am

love A Dark Song. hate Blackcoat's Daughter.

emotional fascism

Postby Poptone » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:47 am

smelts wrote:
jalapeño ranch wrote:I thought Overlord was surprisingly solid if you haven't seen that yet.

I was really expecting to dislike this movie and assumed it would be like a vapid heavy metal gore fest with soldiers, but I ended up liking this movie a whole hell of alot

yeah Overlord is so much better than it has any right being.

that opening sequence with the plane going down is incredibly tense and horrifying

Poptone
cat fan

Postby landspeedrecord » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 pm

the blackcoat's daughter was missing a certain je ne sais quoi for me

the eyes of my mother is a short but tough watch. it's quite metaphorical, which might be frustrating to some. the cinematography is excellent

piercing is great. it has a few violent moments, but it's not too bad, ersaph. it features yet another strong performance by mia wasikowska, who has been killing it the last few years
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby R C » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:33 pm

shacky wrote:he's actually seemed notably chill to me in interviews and stuff

maybe he was just stressed out that night..

He very well could’ve been. I remember a couple of questions that were near embarrassing being asked. He might’ve retaliated at that, I think.

R C

Postby smelts » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:40 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:I'm being asked to help throw together a compilation of horror movie trailers, segments from anthologies, old commercials, etc. for a friend's Halloween party this year. I did one a few years ago and it was a blast.

Looking for recommendations on what I should include this time around.

For reference, this was my compilation last time:

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

a couple years back gnarls made a horror anthology mix tape i still check out yearly whenever October rolls round, think all the links still work too

Gnarls wrote:I made a horror anthology mixtape

Hell is a Summer Festival

1. The Bishop of Battle (Nightmares, 1983)
Emilio Estevez plays a video game-addicted teenager who is consumed by his game

2. The Glass Eye ("Alfred Hitchcock Presents", 1957)
Captivated by the actor's physical beauty, an aging spinster pulls up stakes to follow a ventriloquist and his dummy from performance to performance.

3. The Shadow Man ("The Twilight Zone", 1985)
A teenager discovers that a supernatural being lives underneath his bed

4. The Midnight Sun ("The Twilight Zone", 1961)
When the Earth falls out of orbit, two women try to cope with increasingly oppressive heat in a nearly abandoned city.

5. The Raft (Creepshow 2, 1987)
Four college students consisting of Deke, Laverne, Randy and Rachel, go swimming in a desolate lake far from civilization.

6. Class of '99 ("Night Gallery", 1971)
28 years into the future, a college professor administers an oral exam.

7. The Town Where No One Got Off ("The Ray Bradbury Theater", 1986)
While traveling by train, the aspirant writer Cogswell is challenged by an old salesman to get off the train and settle in a small town to lead a boring life

8. The Tale of the Super Specs ("Are You Afraid of the Dark?", 1992)
Weeds, a prankster, buys his friend Marybeth a pair of super spec glasses as part of an April's Fool Day.

9. Number 12 Looks Just Like You ("The Twilight Zone", 1964)
In a future society everyone must undergo an operation at age 19 to become beautiful and conform to society. One young woman desperately wants to hold onto her own identity.

10. The Bargain ("Monsters", 1990)
A lonely bookstore owner goes to extreme lengths to transform her appearance in order to woo a handsome customer.

11. I of Newton ("The Twilight Zone", 1985)
A mathematician battles the devil for his soul.

12. Unleaded [Body Bags, (1993)]
Anne is a young college student who arrives for her first job working the night shift at an all-night filling station. The attending worker tells her that a serial killer has broken out of a mental hospital, and cautions her not to leave the booth at the station without the keys because the door locks automatically.

13. Lamb to the Slaughter ("Alfred Hitchcock Presents", 1958)
When Mary Maloney's police chief husband is found murdered, the police investigate and have a hard time trying to find the murder weapon.

14. The Playground ("The Ray Bradbury Theater", 1985)
Charles Underhill lives in the suburb with his young son Steve, but he does not allow Steve to play in the nearby playground with other children. Charles has a childhood trauma with the bully Ralph and his friends, and he frequently sees Ralph's ghost challenging him, until the day he decides to go to the playground with Steve and face the wounds of his past.

15. Nick of Time ("The Twilight Zone", 1960)
A pair of newlyweds stopping in a small town are trapped by their own superstition when playing a fortune telling machine in a local diner.

16. The Caterpillar ("Night Gallery", 1972)
Steven Macy lusts after his boss' wife and plans to use an earwig to be rid of him.

17. The Tale of the Ghastly Grinner ("Are You Afraid of the Dark", 1994)
A young comic book fan/artist unleashes a villain from a rare comic book, who turns people into laughing zombies.

18. Wordplay ("The Twilight Zone", 1985)
A salesman at a medical firm finds everyone around him undergoing a linguistic transformation.

special thanks to Kevin McCallister, tricksforchips, gambra, and the creators of Lightworks

smelts

Postby auspice » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:48 pm

Parson Floogle wrote:
light rail coyote wrote:like most of you, i always do a two-month long horror marathon during sept/oct. normally it's just "things i haven't seen/with some classics i watch every year" thing with no intent but i think this year i want to go real specific and get into some good satanic/occult/dark pagan stuff if anyone has recs. i've seen a lot of the classics (omen, wicker man, blood on satan's claw, etc.) but feel free to recommend even obvious-seeming stuff because even if you're just reminding me to re-watch something i've seen already that'd be sweet.

A Dark Song is the best occult film I have seen in a long while. Also I don't think it is comparable to any other film as is a very original piece of work, it isn't a traditional horror set up by any means.

yeah it's a really great watch. the ending sequence is a bit silly and kills a lot of the tension imo but overall it's a very cool film that manages to accomplish a lot in a short amount of time & with a limited budget. last scene is quite cathartic as well.

auspice

Postby Ersaph » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:03 pm

In Fabric had great set design, fantastic soundtrack suitably eerie premise, great performance by Marianne Jean Baptiste - all ruined by the director's insistence on flogging the same joke (verbose ways of describing simple things) in pretty much every scene. It's a dud, I'm afraid; but a dud worth watching.
Last edited by Ersaph on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.

Ersaph

Postby Kevin McCallister » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:01 pm

The format of In Fabric is so bewildering. Two movies, the same movie, one a drama and the other a comedy, back to back, the drama is around an hour and the comedy half hour.Toggle Spoiler I enjoyed the film but it should have been one or the other. Either way, I dug the "verbose ways of describing simple things" and cult of consumerism jokes, and going back to what Aububs said about it months ago in another thread, any movie that has a track from a Skaters CD-R should be watched and appreciated. On the LCJ letter grade scale I give it a B-.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby aububs » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:33 pm

i'm so glad peter strickland exists

let's listen to that song again because it's so good

no buddy not really

aububs

Postby marble » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:21 pm

i somehow missed dark song even tho it looks right up my alley. know what i'm watching tonight!

marble

Postby Ersaph » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:07 pm

In Fabric would have worked better as just the one movie (the first one), IMO. Agreed it's a bewildering structure; I was glad when it was over, actually.

The odd thing is I was legit creeped out by the department store set-up and characters. It didn't need all those ironic filigrees on top (my opinion).
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.

Ersaph

Postby R C » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:30 pm

I didn’t care much for In Fabric but I’m still recommending it because it’s nice to see a movie about a killer dress

R C

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:15 pm

Woah, horror movie with a skaters track. I'm gonna have to check that out.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby Spooky Jim » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:05 pm

Also a James Ferraro track from "On Air" comes on at 1:20 in the trailer. Is that featured in the film as well?
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby cooly » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:13 pm

just watched a dark song thanks to this thread and really enjoyed it. i did think the ending was extremely hokeyToggle Spoiler but overall it kind of reminded me of another favorite, house of the devil, with the slow buildup and growing sense of dread that doesn't fully pay off at the end.

any recommendations for relatively recent (i.e. post-2000 (wow i'm old)) horror? house of the devil and hereditary + midsommar are some of my favorites and i know some of the most obvious stuff (e.g. the witch, it follows, the babadook (liked the witch and it follows but not babadook really)) but i'm not nearly as deep in as you guys and would like more movies of similar quality to a dark song. it definitely impressed me and made me want to dig a little deeper into recent horror
can wrote:old lady [whispering]

cooly

Postby jalapeño ranch » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:33 am

My personal favorite horror films 2000-present:

Green Room
I Saw The Devil
The House That Jack Built
The Wailing
Snowtown
Overlord
Piercing
Get Out
Suspiria
Bone Tomahawk
Be My Cat: A Film For Anne
Don't Breathe
We Are What We Are
Livid
The Woman
Berberian Sound Studio
Kidnapped
Ouija: Origin of Evil
Honeymoon
Gerald’s Game
Killing Ground
Calvaire
Let the Right One In
Vinyan
[REC]
[REC]2
Inside
Slither
The Loved Ones
Pontypool
Eden Lake
Feast
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby cooly » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:34 pm

thanks! i've only seen a few of those (the rec series, slither, the wailing, and i saw the devil) and i quite liked all of those, so i'm eager to try out some of the others
can wrote:old lady [whispering]

cooly

Postby auspice » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:46 pm

cooly wrote:just watched a dark song thanks to this thread and really enjoyed it. i did think the ending was extremely hokeyToggle Spoiler but overall it kind of reminded me of another favorite, house of the devil, with the slow buildup and growing sense of dread that doesn't fully pay off at the end.

any recommendations for relatively recent (i.e. post-2000 (wow i'm old)) horror? house of the devil and hereditary + midsommar are some of my favorites and i know some of the most obvious stuff (e.g. the witch, it follows, the babadook (liked the witch and it follows but not babadook really)) but i'm not nearly as deep in as you guys and would like more movies of similar quality to a dark song. it definitely impressed me and made me want to dig a little deeper into recent horror

if you can stomach found footage Lake Mungo is a classically underrated film. there's one scene towards the end that's pretty divisive among the people who've seen it but overall it's a highly effective, creepy slow-burn of a mockumentary

auspice

Postby Bartatua » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:49 pm

annual request for dread building or thrilling flicks that aren't gore/torture fests recommendations
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby Bartatua » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:49 pm

i liked the wailing best and also enjoyed witch and it follows a lot in recent years
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby auspice » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:50 pm

Bartatua wrote:annual request for dread building or thrilling flicks that aren't gore/torture fests recommendations

There is definitely bloody violence toward the end but The Invitation really surprised me with how good it was.

auspice

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....