Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby concerning » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:19 pm

the only bad part of prince of darkness is the two leads instantly falling in love. and even that's just kinda goofy.

concerning

Postby light rail coyote » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:32 pm

fresh salad wrote:Also this:

ImageToggle Spoiler

one of my favorite shots in any movie ever

light rail coyote

Postby manvstrees » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:02 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:prince of darkness just goes and goes and every time I watch it I love it more

now i might watch it again tonight
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.

manvstrees

Postby RIXX » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:07 pm

Watching PoD for the first time tonight thanks to this thread

About halfway thru and really loving it (hate the mustache’d protagonist grad student tho) also they certainly are getting their money’s worth for this Alice cooper cameo huh lol

RIXX

Postby Disko aka Disco » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:23 pm

re: the list I posted a few pages back, watching trailers to a lot of them now, and good GAWD there's some weird shit in there..

Had fun with Rogue last night, gonna do Crawl tonight, and tomorrow I'm gonna go see VFW (review here: https://www.slashfilm.com/vfw-review-fantatsic-fest-2019/)

Disko aka Disco

Postby futurist » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:29 pm

Werewolves on Wheels RULES. perfect blend of genre flicks.

Willies was good. fun AYAOTD vibes

futurist

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:30 pm

No idea what Werewolves on Wheels is, but on name alone, any chance it can be put in the DB?
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby futurist » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:35 pm

i'll do it later tonight!

Werewolves on Wheels 1971
A biker gang visits a monastery where they encounter black-robed monks engaged in worshipping Satan. When the monks try to persuade one of the female bikers, Helen, to become a satanic sacrifice the bikers smash up the monastery and leave. The monks have the last laugh, though, as Helen, as a result of the satanic rituals, is now possessed and at night changes into a werewolf, with dire results for the biker gang.

futurist

Postby Bob511 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:24 pm

smelts wrote:Student Bodies (1981)
This is a pretty fun slapstick horror parody, like if Scary Movie was made in the early 80's by the guys who made Airplane and the like. Has alotta fun taking the piss out of the horror craze of the 80s, worth it for The Stick's performance as Malvert The Janitor

I did not immediately connect Mickey Rose with What's Up, Tiger Lily?/Take the Money and Run/Bananas, so this was...different than I had expected.

universe, you can't play the willfully ignorant, but partisan bleeding heart

Bob511

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 pm

Thanks, futurist!

The dog driving the car is the scene from Student Bodies that has always stuck with me.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby dan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:30 am

Oct 4.
Night of the Clown (1998)
What happens when a millionaire sells his company? MURDER! Todd is a savvy businessman with a golden touch. His company is worth so much money that others are willing to kill for it . . . even his brothers. Each of Todd's brothers envy him, but could one of them be the reason there are bodies piling up, or is it a mysterious clown roaming the area? Either way, Lisa and Todd are in for a surprise as the brothers start disappearing.

"Lets NOT put a smile on that face!" - the director, towards the audience. Worthless trash with some good tunes. F

Oct 5.
Blood Stalkers (1976)
Four tourists in Florida are attacked by a terrifying hairy beast.

The sole directing credit of bigfoot expert Robert W. Morgan is mostly the familiar kind of independent 70s backwoods affair where the Florida locals warn the city slickers to turn back because of Blood Stalkers roaming the woods near their cabin. There's a rather remarkable amount of dialogue and backstory, it never really amounts to anything but it's kind of unique just how much they try to round out these dimbulbs who chase an ape around. It's an extremely uneventful film and there's like 40 minutes of unwachably dark skulking around, broken up by a beautifully insane sequence of a character running through the swamp at night in ultra slo-mo set to uptempo gospel. Not a good film by any stretch, but like so many other of these 60s/70s independent horrors the director was able to let his own unique weirdness seep in and color an otherwise standard story. Also need to point out the horny friend character (in the .gif) who basically does sub-Robin Williams quipping and mugging the whole movie, often shirtless of course, who is so nauseatingly bad I couldn't look away. A very grim ending too, the traumatized Vietnam vet who was just getting his life together has his friends and family murdered, kills the hillbillies who did it then wanders wordless and shaken through town as everyone looks upon him with scorn until he finally shuffles down an empty road toward nothing.Toggle Spoiler D+

dan

Postby hiddenicon » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:41 am

those look great :)

(also, very fond memories of reading Watchers in 7th grade... hadn't thought of that since your post. never seen the movies)

hiddenicon

Postby emotional fascism » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:50 am

5 days behind already in October. have only watched Hell House LLC II & III and Creep on a plane... need to spend some quality time in the home theater this weekend to make up for it.

I've got the Jean Rollin Vampire Films box on my list and Friday the 13th 1-8 to start off... may get that new 4K master of The Shining today, as well.

emotional fascism

Postby futurist » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:50 am

dan wrote:Oct 4.
Night of the Clown (1998)
What happens when a millionaire sells his company? MURDER! Todd is a savvy businessman with a golden touch. His company is worth so much money that others are willing to kill for it . . . even his brothers. Each of Todd's brothers envy him, but could one of them be the reason there are bodies piling up, or is it a mysterious clown roaming the area? Either way, Lisa and Todd are in for a surprise as the brothers start disappearing.

"Lets NOT put a smile on that face!" - the director, towards the audience. Worthless trash with some good tunes. F

todd jason cook rules

futurist

Postby animefilm » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:42 am

We are safe, and all is well in our world.

I just came to post that Safe (1995), is one of my favorite horror films. This is a nice essay on the film

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3394-safe-nowhere-to-hide

Haynes interview about the film (1995)

https://www.filmmakermagazine.com/archives/issues/summer1995/antibodies.php

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/26/us/environmental-illness-may-be-mental.html

animefilm

Postby futurist » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:53 am

man, many people whose opinions i admire LOVE Safe. it's been almost a decade since i've seen it but it never stuck with me. i'll have to try again.

futurist

Postby RIXX » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:04 am

I watched Session 9 last night. The board/internet has always seemed fond of it but to me it was just total schlocky trash. I didn’t find it scary at all...I guess if I’m being charitable, some of the changes between the voices on the tapes was mildly unnerving, but that’s about it...

RIXX

Postby Spooky Jim » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:35 am

I watched Bome Tomahawk last night. I went into it with no idea what it was about. That was a pretty incredible film. the scene when they quarter the deputy was one of the most effective scenes I’ve seen where humans are reduced to just a slaughtered animal. Very effective to make people consider vegetarianism.Toggle Spoiler

Maybe I’ll give in the mouth of madness another go. I actually fell asleep during it, and maybe just wasn’t in the mood.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby odilon redon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:58 am

prince of darkness kinda rules but in the carpenter filmography it’s firmly 3rd tier

odilon redon

Postby high bias » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:24 am

fresh salad wrote:The future dream thing is so iconic to me, I used to think about that all the time when I was falling asleep as a kid

watched prince of darkness last night and the future dream/message stuff was definitely my favorite part of the movie. such a cool/haunting concept

high bias

Postby R C » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:36 am

anyone have Raw and able to throw it up on the DB?
Poptone wrote:"I was there, Gandalf, when the nickelodeons came crumbling down."

R C

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:44 am

Did somebody say tiers??

TIER 1
Halloween
The Thing

TIER 2
Prince of Darkness
Halloween 3
Christine
The Fog

TIER 3
They Live
Escape for New York
Assault on Precinct 13
Big Trouble in Little China
In the Mouth of Madness

TIER 4 through 8
the rest
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:49 am

I may be the only one who considers Christine to be a tier 2 Carpenter but I love 1) rock n roll movies, 2) a detective who's skulking around the periphery of a story as added tension, and 3) the line of dialogue "Death to the shitters of the world in 1979."
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby haddonfield » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:00 pm

nah i'm with you.it's just so slick and satisfying visually, and its unbelievably tense for a movie with such an ostensibly goofy premise.

haddonfield

Postby haddonfield » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:09 pm

saying "slick and satisfying visually" makes me feel like LCJ but you know. it's jc in his prime doing sick shots of a classic car being menacing and what more do you want.
Last edited by haddonfield on Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haddonfield

Postby landspeedrecord » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:09 pm

pretty close to mine, though I like they live, christine, & the fog better than prince of darkness

that one could have been great, but the budget woes really hurt it

christine is the most underrated. one of the best king adaptations full stop
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby landspeedrecord » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:09 pm

No shitter ever came between me and Christine...
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby Spooky Jim » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:Did somebody say tiers??

TIER 1
Halloween
The Thing

TIER 2
Prince of Darkness
Halloween 3
Christine
The Fog

TIER 3
They Live
Escape for New York
Assault on Precinct 13
Big Trouble in Little China
In the Mouth of Madness

TIER 4 through 8
the rest

Interesting. I think Escape from New York, Big Trouble and They Live along with The Thing are my favorites. I haven't seen Halloween since I was a teen; I guess I should watch it again, but I guess I've never been as much into slasher films. I remember liking Halloween 3 more than the OG though.
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby concerning » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:32 pm

love christine but i think it’s a little overlong. the shots of the car are so great though.

halloween and the thing are as close as you can get to perfect movies but the high baroque cosmic weirdness of PoD and ItMoM is some of my favorite stuff i’ve ever seen attempted on screen.

concerning

Postby palmer eldritch » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:35 pm

carpentiers???

palmer eldritch

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....