You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby futurist » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:46 pm

thanks! forgot about some of those.

futurist

Postby dan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:48 pm

futurist wrote:What are the good horror flicks of 2019? i haven't seen much but everything has been bogus.

Escape Room was pleasantly stupid and fast paced. I liked all the characters and it felt like very PG-13-ified Saw but more action packed. Genuinely pumped for the sequel.

It hasn't had any kind of home release yet but I need to see this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them_That_Follow
Deep in Appalachia, Pastor Lemuel Childs (Walton Goggins) presides over an isolated community of serpent handlers, an obscure sect of Pentecostals who willingly take up venomous snakes to prove themselves before God. As his devoted daughter, Mara (Alice Englert) prepares for her wedding day, under the watchful eye of Hope Slaughter (Olivia Colman), a dangerous secret is unearthed and she is forced to confront the deadly tradition of her father’s church.

You had me at Goggins, but then you add Olivia Colman, Jim Gaffigan, and snake handling? please leak soon

dan

Postby jack » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Down n dirty rufus wrote:Was Tigers Are Not Afraid any good?

i watched this because it was at the top of a bunch of "best horror movies of 2019" lists and i was really disappointed. it was boring and i think its a pretty big stretch to call it a horror movie at all.

jack

Postby a long gush from your hole » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:52 pm

dan wrote:It hasn't had any kind of home release yet but I need to see this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them_That_Follow

You had me at Goggins, but then you add Olivia Colman, Jim Gaffigan, and snake handling? please leak soon

+dever
yeah this cast is insane. INSANE
現実に打ちのめされ倒れそうになっても
きっと 前を見て歩くDream Fighter

a long gush from your hole

Postby dan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Kaitlyn Dever as Dilly Picket

how was this not the biggest movie of the year?

dan

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:47 pm

In The Black Tower, we enter the world of a man haunted by a tower which, he believes, is following him around London. The character of the central protagonist is indicated only by a narrative voice-over.

My God, I love this film. It felt like a visual representation of Spiderland-era Slint. Capital-M-Minimal horror short from the director of "The Girl Chewing Gum."
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby futurist » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:09 pm

yeah, love it. very reminiscent of takashi ito a bit

futurist

Postby aububs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:13 am

dan wrote:
futurist wrote:What are the good horror flicks of 2019? i haven't seen much but everything has been bogus.

Escape Room was pleasantly stupid and fast paced. I liked all the characters and it felt like very PG-13-ified Saw but more action packed. Genuinely pumped for the sequel.

I really enjoyed escape room too.

and this one is so good. it's like Nathan Barley done 60 years ago:

Poptone wrote:2. A Bucket of Blood, 1959 4/5
no buddy not really

aububs

Postby RIXX » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:29 am

Watched Lake Mungo last night. I don’t know if it’s entirely successful at what it’s going for but I certainly found it highly watchable and a very creepy sustained vibe, which is more than I can say for most. And genuinely scary when Alice films herself running into her own future ghost coming for her. And is that what drowned corpses look like?? GrossToggle Spoiler

RIXX

Postby Kevin McCallister » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:33 am

Yeah that scene actually scared the hell out of me. Very similar in style to the thing behind Winkie's Diner in Mulholland DriveToggle Spoiler, particularly the way the camera floats in a figure 8 fashion, numbing you and drawing you closer.

Ampersand wrote a fantastic essay about Lake Mungo that's worth reading but I don't have the time to dig around for it!
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby Poptone » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:57 am

Kevin McCallister wrote:Yeah that scene actually scared the hell out of me. Very similar in style to the thing behind Winkie's Diner in Mulholland DriveToggle Spoiler, particularly the way the camera floats in a figure 8 fashion, numbing you and drawing you closer.

Ampersand wrote a fantastic essay about Lake Mungo that's worth reading but I don't have the time to dig around for it!

I believe it's this: http://nessuntimore.blogspot.com/2014/08/a-dreadful-decade-part-v-lake-mungo.html

Poptone
cat fan

Postby BlackSugar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:47 pm

I'm watching the keep right now. it's really good and interesting. very well-made, some beautiful shots, and it is a michael mann joint, and the tangerine dream soundtrack is a little overly busy but is still p awesome. I think if this had been about attractive co-ed archeologists it would have been more of a hit but it had that ww2 nazi stink so people thought it would be a history slog maybe? sympathetic nazis? who knew! jurgen is quite the sympathetic nazi

I like how quickly it moves along. one of the villagers mentions ian mckellan is an expert of the keep and is at a concentration camp a thousand miles away and 2 minutes later, he's at the keep. scott glenn meets the single female character and within 2 minutes he's banging her. I think their sex scene lasted longer than all of their introductory scenes. they're doing like yoga sex, in 1941!

forgot how handsome scott glenn was. I keep thinking he looks like somebody but maybe its just handsome scott glenn

keep monster is mcwop without skin. I'm cool with that. dude has amazing traps. weird how buffkeep lives in romania but talks in an english accent.
I come like a thousand doves

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby BlackSugar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:23 pm

this must have been an easy sell for scott glenn. "ride a motorcycle, immediately bang this hot woman, show up at the very end and save the day"
I come like a thousand doves

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby dan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Oct. 8
Dead of Night (1977)
This horror anthology features three chilling tales from legendary writer Richard Matheson. In the first, a young man named Frank (Ed Begley Jr.) discovers that the antique car he's lovingly restored is actually a time machine. The second revolves around Alexis (Anjanette Comer), a woman who falls prey to a scam involving vampires. The final installment features a mother (Joan Hackett) grieving for her son until she gets a unique chance to reunite with him.

Serviceable made for TV stuff, all very short and not particularly ambitious. Begley going back to the 20s in his jalopy was my favorite, strengthened by good narration. The middle story about the vampire lady is kind of clever but horribly boring. The final story about a mom resurrecting her son is the most substantial, and I love the atmosphere of horror in a 70s beach house, but GOD was the kid annoying. Felt like 80% of the dialogue in this was either "MOMMYYYYYY" or "BOBBY!". I'm sure that last shot scarred a bunch of kids watching this 40 years ago though. C-

Oct. 8
Murder by Phone (1982)
A disgruntled phone company employee develops a device whereby those answering a phone can be murdered, and it's up to Nat Bridger to stop the killer.

Much closer to a conspiracy thriller than a horror, but 4 people have their eyes melt and partially explode so lets call it even. Kept me surprisingly engaged with some crafty snooping by Richard Chamberlain. Great supporting cast and dialogue but still feels like a made for TV movie, and I don't really get what's happening in the last 15 minutes somehow they get the phone killer to blow himself up?Toggle Spoiler C-

dan

Postby Mesh » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Shirley Clarke stuff all over Criterion Channel right now and if you have the means, do yourself a favor and add A Scary Time to your Shocktober schedule. 16 minutes of editing experiment for UNICEF that puts American trick or treating kids into a terrifying and heart-rending dialogue with impoverished and ill children in the third world. Harrowing imagery everywhere.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby Kevin McCallister » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:27 pm

Mesh wrote:Shirley Clarke stuff all over Criterion Channel right now and if you have the means, do yourself a favor and add A Scary Time to your Shocktober schedule. 16 minutes of editing experiment for UNICEF that puts American trick or treating kids into a terrifying and heart-rending dialogue with impoverished and ill children in the third world. Harrowing imagery everywhere.

Thanks for the recc, I found myself watching Butterfly last night.

Kevin McCallister

Postby jordana » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:29 pm

Edit:
Murder by phone is so good.
jordana

Postby futurist » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Love Goddess of Blood Island (aka Six She's And A He) (1963) - WOW. this was amazing. right at the crossroads of Florida nudies, Florida splatter, and "exotic" mondo. torture, lounge "calypso," beautiful mod sets.... great mood piece.

Prison of the Dead (2000) - felt very un-DeCoteau but still very DeCoteau. no half naked men. but coke-head white kids solving a mystery to drum & bass. wasn't bad.

Nightmare Sisters (1988) - had to go back to the basics with DeCoteau after the last. apparently made with leftover film in just a matter of days, he's got the usual crew together for nerds vs. the sexy vamps.

In The Tall Grass (2019) - wasn't amazing, but i love one-setting (or one-atmosphere?) movies like this that unfold as psychological mazes... Haunter, Yellow Brick Road, Triangle, Blair Witch, Beneath (even though it's more of a creature/survival,) and of course the director's own Cube. minimal backstory, easy characters, and surreal anxiety. this is the kind of popcorn movie i like.

and last but not least, i've gotta finally get it outta my system. it wasnt all bad. but it was mostly bad. official ranking.

Within The Woods
It Kills
Camp Blood 2
Camp Blood
Ghost of Camp Blood
Camp Blood First Slaughter
Camp Blood 666
Camp Blood 5
Camp Blood 4

and for my new masochistic project....

Witchcraft 2
Witchcraft

only 14 more Witchcrafts to go....

futurist

Postby futurist » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:21 pm

this rules

futurist

Postby Mesh » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:
Mesh wrote:Shirley Clarke stuff all over Criterion Channel right now and if you have the means, do yourself a favor and add A Scary Time to your Shocktober schedule. 16 minutes of editing experiment for UNICEF that puts American trick or treating kids into a terrifying and heart-rending dialogue with impoverished and ill children in the third world. Harrowing imagery everywhere.

Thanks for the recc, I found myself watching Butterfly last night.

Will get back to that too. Where I went next was Lynch shorts I hadn't seen: both The Alphabet and Premonitions Following an Evil Deed are great for October list-padding.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.

Mesh

Postby futurist » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:20 am

with the exception of the most recent three (and two seemingly random entries in the middle,) it's amazing that every Witchcraft entry is done by a different director. after getting through the first 3 i'm convinced that none of them have anything to do with each other, and they each feel like a completely different universe. that would be intriguing if they were actually good films.

futurist

Postby dan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Oct. 9
Hell Spa (1992
At Benson's Health Spa business is booming. And why not? With the, "Look beautiful and stay fit or never pay a dime" promotion, people are literally selling their souls to join.

Loved all the characters in this, especially Mr. Ex in his Undertaker getup, but there's way too much sneaking around poorly lit backrooms leading to either dumb fakeouts or or very uncreative "attacks". Didn't help that it was a 1:50:00 long when most of these SOV horrors are already burning out at the 1 hour mark. D-

Oct. 10
Spine (1986)
A madman stalks nurses, brutally stabbing them to death. In his fevered mind, he believes his victims to be a woman from his past named Linda. Police struggle to apprehend him before he can murder and mutilate again.

This is your standard "knife gets run along some boobs" crime exploitation SOV for the first half, then the final 32 minutes are the killer whining at two women in baby speak while he assaults them and yells bitch. Really dire and gross and it somehow gets even more insulting in the last 5 minutes. Avoids an F- because there's no attempt at humor. F

Oct. 11
The Dreaded (1990)
Some old real estate in town has a new owner...and he's a vampire!!!

Needed something wholesome after Spine and this worked well enough. I mean nothing interesting happens but it just has lots of small silly things that entertained: the boyfriend wearing a cowboy hat and full length white duster everywhere, the slightly Heidecker-y guy playing the seductive vampire lord, his manservant who looks like C Everett Coop, a gentleman in the background of a shot buying a NES Power Pad floor mat, the massive painted glass ad for Major League at the video store, the dirtbag teen who saves the day by stealing a fake D&D manual from his little brother, the woman who was almost murdered who brings up Capri Sun. Bad movie with amusing moments D+

dan

Postby RIXX » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:33 pm

Poptone wrote:
Kevin McCallister wrote:Yeah that scene actually scared the hell out of me. Very similar in style to the thing behind Winkie's Diner in Mulholland DriveToggle Spoiler, particularly the way the camera floats in a figure 8 fashion, numbing you and drawing you closer.

I believe it's this: http://nessuntimore.blogspot.com/2014/08/a-dreadful-decade-part-v-lake-mungo.html

Thank you! This essay is great, it made me appreciate LM even more.

Has anyone seen The Dead Center feat Shane Carruth?

RIXX

Postby dan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Oct. 12
The American Scream (1988)
Family vacationing in the mountains is terrorized by local wackos.

God this movie was weird, it's a horny 80s teen sex comedy for bits, then veers to rather uncomedic violent horror, then back and forth until you're disoriented. And it's just generally nuts: the two main teen girls are immediately picked up by the local sheriff and taken to a topless bar, there's a long 8mm film in the middle of a woman eating cheetos and watching movies upside down until her whole family is murdered, a sequence where the goofy dad's head just starts falling apart and bleeding as he has a man to man with his son, a lot of this either a great dreamy synth or honky-tonk underneath it. The weirdness doesn't really save the movie but it helped!C-

dan

Postby futurist » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:32 am

god i love dan updates.

love u dan.

futurist

Postby dan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:36 pm

Oct. 13 (the full moon wink wink)
Moon of the Wolf (1972)
After several locals are viciously murdered, a Louisiana sheriff starts to suspect he may be dealing with a werewolf.

Made for TV movie of the week, I feel bad for the people back then who had to turn to this for entertainment. David Janssen is fine but you'll probably have more fun watching any random episode of 70s cop show. Only redeeming quality was seeing werewolf running wild in his khakis for about 30 seconds. D+

Lycan Colony (2006)
Some small towns hold many secrets. Two siblings and a newly settled doctor's family are about to find out this town's darkest secret...the hard way. The town folk are good and evil werewolves! And all things are not as they appear.

Independently crafted labor of lycan love who's charm comes less from the script and more from the ludicrous Decker-level effects and acting from some of the least natural actors I've ever seen (which to their credit made me hang on every word). They CGI an amazing amount of stuff that has no reason to be CGI'd from a road sign, to a neck tattoo, to a woman rolling on the ground. Probably around 90% of the dialogue is atrocious ADR and they still manage to have flubbed line reads. The first half of the story focuses heavily on a disgraced alcoholic brain surgeon dad who sounds just like Elmer Fudd, then things switch gear as a lady wolf hunter sets out to get her prey in last 20 minutes (there's a real boring stretch as she's preparing for the hunt with a good werewolf, the movie's main flaw). Too much crazy/silly shit in this to mention but thankfully it's not made intentionally terrible, it's just fun, messy amateur filmmaking. B-
also has one of the greatest pieces of IMDB trivia I've ever seen:

dan

Postby dan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:40 pm

futurist wrote:god i love dan updates.

love u dan.

thank you for the kind words, it's more fun to burn through old stuff I've accumulated with these updates in mind
love anything horror you post about as well

dan

Postby animefilm » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:35 pm

I watched Funny Games (1997) and had a nightmare that I was in a bathtub full of water (hands and feet tied) kicking while I got chopped up.

animefilm

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:24 pm

christ i've been so bad at horror movies this year.

the legend of boggy creek. thanks to mst3k, i've seen boggy creek II: the legend continues more times that almost any movie, but i had never seen the original until this weekend. it's weird to think that this is generally considered so influential, basically being the early template for found footage stuff, given that it's reputation has been kind of overshadowed by the sequel. as a whole, it's a pretty unimpressive film- the lack of narrative really hurts things and the "here's a list of boggy creek sightings" structure makes it feel really inert. the omnipresent narrator gets old really quick. at no point does the monster SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM. the monster doesn't look good but they do a pretty good job at keeping it in the shadows for most of the movie.

but at the same time, it's so fucking balm. just the long shots of twisted, fucked up swampland and dilapidated barns with the creepy synth soundtrack are wonderful. the slice of life scenes are well-staged and the actors don't feel like actors in a good way. the locations for both interiors and exteriors are perfect and it does a good job at capturing the isolation of thaf kind of rural community. it's that kind of low-budget 70s horror film that looks like an old, warped home movie and the vibe plus the imagery is really charming. dunno how to rate this but 2.5/5?

would've been a lot better if this guy had made an appearance

light rail coyote

Postby hiddenicon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:59 pm

May be extra-shit on the blurbing this time... lost my chicken scratch notes and things can get blurry around this point without em.

27. Ginger Snaps 2
Waited a bit too long to update my progress, so this will be a biggish one. Picking back up, Ginger Snaps 2. Despite its faults, I've always enjoyed the sequel as much as the original (though the third one can suck it). Perfect way to do a follow-up. A natural progression of the first by advancing the mythology without just retreading the beats. This almost trips into a different horror subgenre entirely from the first. And I fucking love the Ghost character (Tatiana Maslany stealing scenes early in her career). (Amazon Prime)

28. Scalpel
Alright, this one turned out to be more of a slow churn thriller, but it grazes up against horror enough that it's getting included. Southern gothic soap opera about a sociopath pulling a scam by surgically altering a Jane Doe to look like his daughter to claim a fortune. Checked this out because I enjoyed Blood Rage so much and this is John Grissmer's only other film. Shame he didn't do more, because while this doesn't hit any of the lunatic highs of Blood Rage, it's still a fairly inventive and twisty flick. A little tame and poorly paced but it largely held my attention. (Amazon Prime)

29. Phenomena
Another rewatch, though it had been a while. Might be one of the most kitchensink horror films ever made... the utter batshit of it all really helps paper over a lot of the nonsense. At least a half dozen great set pieces plus one of the greatest finale runs I can recall. Maybe not scary, but endlessly amusing and ludicrous and something that absolutely needs to be witnessed. (Amazon Prime)

30. Freakmaker (AKA The Mutations)
Needed some more Donald Pleasance, so blind watched Freakmaker, about a mad scientist attempting to create a human/plant hybrid. A pre-Doctor Who Tom Baker, buried under prosthetics, plays his murderous Igor, who collects test subjects with an occasional assist from his traveling freak show. Fairly bonkers creature feature mixed with elements of Tod Browning's Freaks. Oh shit, and it was directed by Jack Cardiff, one of the greatest cinematographers in film history (Black Narcissus, Red Shoes, A Matter of Life and Death, The African Queen, etc). Sadly, while it doesn't look awful, he brings only minimal flair here. Fun waste of time though. (Amazon Prime)

31. Symptoms
More Pleasance, this time Donald's daughter. Symptoms was famously a "lost film" until 3 years ago, when a print was finally discovered and made old VHS boots from a British TV broadcast in '83 obsolete. I never watched the old boots and caught up with it for the first time in 2017. Symptoms is all wet, 70's English countryside atmosphere anchored by a great performance from Angela Pleasance as an odd woman who may be the next victim or a psychopath (Peter Vaughn, the blind Maester Aemon from Game of Thrones, also turns up in one of several solid supporting roles). Very much my kind of slow churn horror/psychodrama... it's a lot easier to track down these days, but it's still not streaming anywhere (looks like someone upped a crumby quality version on youtube, but seek it out elsewhere).

32. Patrick
Fairly well-known (at least in horror circles... gets referenced in Kill Bill, etc) Ozploitation classic that I had somehow never seen. As with most of the loved Australian drive-in shit from that era, this one was a lot of fun... apparently comatose killer strikes out with telekinesis. That weird mix of feeling both tossed-off and meticulously crafted at the same time that some of the best genre stuff nails. This one had an unauthorized (and apparently shit) sequel 3 years later and a remake in 2013. (Amazon Prime)

33. The Dead Don't Die
Yeah, sure... maybe Jarmusch's worst film, but I still had a fun time watching it. Tons of cameos, deadpan humor that works about 50% of the time, a fun pairing of Bill Murray and Adam Driver that almost lives up to potential, a weird obsession with Sturgill Simpson, and some EXTREMELY ill-advised meta humor. Tons of issues (holy hell, the "social commentary" that's a staple of the zombie genre is so, so fucking lame in this...eesh) and maybe I just lowered expectations to the bedrock, but I still came away mostly entertained. Appreciated what he was going for and could imagine the better picture in my head. (buy or rent anywhere)

34. Demons
Another rewatch... another inventive cheesefest with some fun gore and a big following. The tail end of the primo Italian schlock era, so loose, flu brained logic accompanied by bright, flashing nonsense. A movie theater is under siege from demons (essentially zombies, but with fewer rules) that have been awakened, or something, from the movie being screened. Good fun. (Shudder, Hoopla)

35. Demons 2
Demons 2 cranks up the crazy from the first one, setting the action in a high rise, upping the stakes (local threat goes global, a la Night of the Living Dead/Dawn of the Dead) and populating it with oily muscle men, demonic dogs, the requisite party girl, and tween Asia Argento. This was a first time viewing... and maybe it was just the newness, but I liked this one almost as much as the first. (Shudder)

36. Day of the Dead
It had been a while since I last watched Day of the Dead and, yeah, it is aging pretty damn well. Great character dynamics, performances, and pacing (may not be a mile a minute, but it's the best written of the trilogy)... and some terrific gorehound zombie feasts. (Kanopy and dirt cheap to rent on streaming services)

37. New Nightmare
Hadn't watched New Nightmare in decades... and turns out I still hate it. Fuck this movie.

(have nearly 20 more to post... will be back tomorrow)
Last edited by hiddenicon on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenicon

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....