Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby theta » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:10 pm

i made this list for october but i haven't been able to make much of a dent in it
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can

theta

Postby dan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Oct. 24
Totem (1999)
Six people find themselves inexplicably transported to a remote cabin that is surrounded by an invisible barrier. In a nearby graveyard, they discover an ancient, carved stone monument that they dub a "totem pole." Soon, they find themselves trapped in a murderous plot by malevolent forces that can control and manipulate their actions with the ultimate goal being to unleash three demonic entities from the monument.

David DeCoteau directing a Charles Band script: what could go wrong? Well everything, because this was a disaster, although thankfully a short one at 56 minutes if you cut out the credits. The plot is absolute nonsense, the puppets don't have any personality, 90% of the movie takes place in 1 room, and action is limited to CW actors holding foam rubber gremlins on themselves while the fog machine goes nuts. And to make matters worse the entire movie is shot at canted angles with the camera constantly wobbling back and forth as if it were on a see-saw. The next hour after the movie ended I couldn't look at a screen because text kept tilting. D-

Oct. 25
Blood Sisters (1987)
Seven girls must spend the night in an old house, which once was a brothel, as part of an initiation.

I was a little disappointed after the very entertaining start which had a flashback to a little kid going nuts, a robed sorority ritual, and 3 very amusing college clods freaking themselves out in the abandoned whorehouse. But once the gals arrive at the brothel to spend the night it slows down so much and we spend quite a bit of time watching people succumb to wimpy scares that were set up earlier. When it delves into actually showing the ghostly prostitutes it gets more interesting and there are some well composed shots but we don't get much of this. I liked all of the actresses playing the sisters but they aren't really playing against anything because the killer doesn't show up until the last 10 minutes and he's nothing special. It's still goofy fun and makes me want to watch more Roberta Findlay but I think with a few changes would have been a blast. C-

dan

Postby Ampersand » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:24 pm

:twisted: lol I love both of those

Ampersand

Postby thrang » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:14 pm

Just watched Strange Behaviour. It really tried, I guess, but what a snooze.
thrang

Postby Spooky Jim » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:17 pm

I read Great God Pan by Arthur Machen last week, and you can definitely see where Lovecraft got a lot of his influence from. I know I wrote a bunch of long posts up thread on Lovecraft and race already, but this story is interesting because it is just explicitly a story about how terrifying sex and the body was to victorian-era white men, and how much they naturalized this relationship with "latins", and in this story that means primarily means mediterranean, mainly but not exclusively. It's hard to read the story nowadays without seeing Mary and Helen as tragic heroines, and all the male protagonists as the true antagonists. Anyone else familiar with this story?
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 pm

oh hey, I just watched Totem a few days back also. thank christ the weed held out.

hiddenicon

Postby Spooky Jim » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Also, I watched the Conjuring 2 last dead, and geez what a stupid movie. It had the potential to be interesting,
But it seems the filmmakers had no idea what they wanted to do with it. It is a ghost movie, and a ghost movie should be about an unresolved past issue, and that issue connects with a present day issue in the protagonists life, and then the two intersect as the haunting comes to plague the haunted’s life. Well, this movie had the potential to be about this family’s lack of a father figure, and socio-economic impact of that at the time in England; and it seems like that is what they are going to have it be about, but then for no reason at all they stop. The old man ghost was a perfect opportunity to be the inversion of the missing father; old man who never had kids and died alone and now torments this family. Ed Warren even starts to come and fill this father-figure role and that could have provided an interesting dynamic, but they decided to then defer to that demon-nun which was inexplicable and makes the film about nothing in the end. It would have been better if it had focused more on Janet, and this idea of perhaps she is faking it all because she wants a father figure, and even focused more on this idea of her not knowing even herself when she is faking it or not. But once it becomes about the nun, everything else becomes meaningless; the monster is so contextless that any understanding of any meaning is completely lost, and you are left scratching your head trying to form a narrative the stitches together these different elements. Is the nun just some manifestation of a more universal, deeper, pure evil? Why did it choose to haunt the warrens? Why did it choose to haunt the British family? What was it’s purpose in tying these two distinct people’s fates together?
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Spooky Jim

Postby futurist » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:13 am

theta wrote:i made this list for october but i haven't been able to make much of a dent in it

i haven't been following you!

it's not ~pure~ horror, but The Hitch-Hiker is a really rad movie. one of my favorites. Spider Baby should be near the top of your list too!

i'm ashamed i still haven't seen Kuroneko.. i actually started it the other night but it was too late and i fell asleep. but i've been reading a lot about kaidan and really wanna explore this corner of horror. this is a cool list: https://letterboxd.com/obscureness/list/kaidan/

futurist

Postby futurist » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:17 am

haven't seen Blood Sisters but i LOVE roberta findlay. missed a lecture/presentation on her a few weeks back, very bummed.

futurist

Postby RIXX » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:03 pm

Anyone watch The Autopsy of Jane Doe? It’s got really strong reviews and stars Brian Cox so I’m in, gonna throw it on

RIXX

Postby concerning » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:09 pm

horror neophyte post incoming: holy shit rosemary's baby was actually the scariest thing i've seen in a while...i expected it to be good but old and surpassed by its influences and it was completely gripping and terrifying the whole way through. the combo of loss of agency and gaslighting w/ revulsion at your own body and being trapped in a relationship......yikes!!!!

i actually have a lot less respect for ari aster after seeing this lol.

concerning

Postby shacky » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:15 pm

RIXX wrote:Anyone watch The Autopsy of Jane Doe? It’s got really strong reviews and stars Brian Cox so I’m in, gonna throw it on

this is dece yeah

shacky

Postby futurist » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:27 am

concerning wrote:horror neophyte post incoming: holy shit rosemary's baby was actually the scariest thing i've seen in a while...i expected it to be good but old and surpassed by its influences and it was completely gripping and terrifying the whole way through. the combo of loss of agency and gaslighting w/ revulsion at your own body and being trapped in a relationship......yikes!!!!

i actually have a lot less respect for ari aster after seeing this lol.

don't know if i understand or agree with the aster comment,

but a friend of mine did a very special piece on female autonomy and births & abortions as represented in horror recently i can link u to

edit: i didin't realize u said LESS respect for aster lol. i don't like him much but i'm still curious what u meant

futurist

Postby concerning » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:00 am

please link me, i'd love to read it!

i just hadn't realized to what extent both his films lift from RB, Hereditary is almost a straight remake plot-wise and treads the same territory w/r/t deception/losing one's grip on reality/revulsion from your child while Midsommar basically updates the John Cassavetes/Mia Farrow dynamic for 2019 and maps that relationship onto The Wicker Man w/ a dash of Hostel. not to mention it literally features a scene where a character is drugged and used in an impregnation ritual while a bunch of naked old people stand in a circle.

i don't mind homages or pastiches at all, and obviously there are a million films that use Exorcist or Dawn of the Dead as a template but the specificity of the similarities to Rosemary's Baby makes the high minded presentation ring a little hollower to me. the superficial similarities in plot in aster's movies would be fine but for the straight lifting of themes and character dynamics as well.

concerning

Postby dan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:22 pm

Oct. 26
Back from Hell (1993)
A priest comes to the aid of his friend, an actor who has recently returned from Hollywood. He uncovers a massive satanic uprising taking place and must put an end to it before the entire world is overtaken.

Fun little homemade splatterfest, the priest and actor are great and have some truly bizarre line readings. The plot is kind of just an excuse to do whatever gory setpieces they can think of (a lot of animal entrails in this), but the They Live style streetlevel conspiracy angle adds a bit more. Just fun ideas like Satan showing up in the body of a dead cop and he talks like this guy from ROTJ, a demonic hand bursts forth from the bible and grabs the priest's dick, and they find a chainsaw hanging off some lawn decoration which leads to maybe the dumbest kill I've ever seen. All this done with no budget whatsoever and some stock sci-fi music playing almost non-stop. Plus the first 30 minutes of endtime prophecy and extreme torture all takes place underneath this Spuds McKenzie poster. B

Oct. 27
Blades (1987)
Mutilated bodies are showing up on the greens of Tall Grass Country Club. The owner looks to quickly solve the matter for fear of ruining a big upcoming tournament. But the recently hired course pro soon uncovers that not all is as it seems and the killer may not even be human.

Jaws on a golf course. It's surprisingly not that goofy (but still plenty of levity) nor is it particularly gory. Really just about everything is done right to support and make work the premise that a lawnmower has come to life, gone rogue, and is shredding people on the links. Pretty relaxing watch, although the final act of hunting the mower is a bit long and tedious and I was hoping they would do it up a bit more with some of the kills. B-

dan

Postby ashtrayheart » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:37 pm

shacky wrote:
RIXX wrote:Anyone watch The Autopsy of Jane Doe? It’s got really strong reviews and stars Brian Cox so I’m in, gonna throw it on

this is dece yeah

second

some real good spooks

ashtrayheart

Postby hiddenicon » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:44 pm

Experiencing a little burnout for some reason... may scale this back to 50 next year. Got a bit busy with work and other things coming down the home stretch, so the couple extra days at the end of September came in handy. Not sure I would have made it otherwise. Up to 95, but need to bring my list up to speed here:

59. Little Monsters
I liked this one a little more than I expected too. Zomedies are a bit played out, but the cast (and I normally despise Gad... he's used well here) really deliver and it ended up being fairly self-aware. One of the better (intentional) horror-comedies I've watched in a while.

60. Gwen
This one was certainly pitched as a horror film in its marketing, but it's more a bleak-as-fuck period drama in horror clothing. I've had a few of those this go around. Gwen was a little sluggish but the atmosphere it creates is pure folk-horror and, much like Anya Taylor-Joy a few years back with The Witch, it's a bit of a coming out party for Eleanor Worthington-Cox. Not an easy watch. Fairly miserable. Still, it's goddamned gorgeous and it accomplishes what it sets out to do.

61. Wax Mask
Back to pure schlock. Italian remake of House of Wax sorta kinda. Originally meant as Fulci's final film, but he croaked in pre-production and a first timer with a background in SFX came on board last minute and delivered. Shame he didn't direct much more (two other movies, one in 2004 and another in 2013) because his enthusiasm is evident in the look of the film. Skin, blood, inventive visual design... the usual suspects. Again, it's schlock and it goes off the rails entirely by the finale, but a real fun watch if you just want something energetic.

62. The Strangeness AKA Terror Cave
Sorta loved this dumb little proto-Descent. Even the opening credits brought some game. Really, I am curious if Neil Marshall watched and unintentionally stored this deep in his subconscious, as there are A LOT of similar story beats, just done in a far more amateur and microbudgeted way (quite a few paper mache cave walls). Spelunkers get trapped in a cave with a monster intent on killing them, forcing them deeper into the cave in an effort to find a way out. They come across evidence of previous victims from years before, stumble across a chamber filled with bones, resort to a lot of lighting by red flare, turn on each other. Sound familiar? Quite liked it. It's an odd duck.

63. Rapture (1979)
Speaking of odd ducks, fuck. The hell was this? Has a lot of support from a vocal sect of film fans, but I just don't know. Yeah, fun ending and fun set-up, but that middle section and the interminable narration and a million other quirks really stunted my enjoyment of this one. Not even really sure how to summarize the plot... filmmaker befriends weirdo who has a story to tell that leads down a weird rabbit hole. Has a very filmschool, arthouse wankery to it, but even with my misgivings I did find a certain respect for it by the end.

64. Thesis
This is one of my faves. Spanish thriller about a grad student who investigates a possible snuff film only to get pulled into a Hitchcockian web. Not a terribly original premise, but it's all in the execution. Alejandro Amenábar's debut. If you haven't seen it, track it down. It'd make a great double feature with Spoorloos.

65. Amsterdamned
Really on a roll here. First time with this one (kicking off Sunday with some Full Moon releases) and it was a fucking hoot. Scuba killer terrorizes Amsterdam. High-action giallo that's too busy tossing out some insane set-pieces to worry much about a ton of plot. The boat chase at the center of the movie is one of the most suicidal looking things I've ever seen in a movie. How the hell was that remotely safe? I was hooked from the opening kill.

66. Seedpeople
Well, they can't all be slamdunks, though this incredibly stupid movie has some charm and off the wall monster design. Essentially just a straight up Invasion of the Bodysnatchers rip-off, right down to it's framing device, but with the added bonus of rubber suit monsters. Extra points for the clearly adult woman playing what was supposed to be a weirdo 13-year old? Is that a Critters ball?

67. Necropolis (1986)
I could have posted another screencap... THE screencap, but I'll keep it clean. You can look it up yourself. You can probably skip the movie. It's all downhill after the opening dance sequence. A witch from the 17th century arrives in 80's LA to rejuvenate and raise some minions. It's all pretty dull but if you're into crazy dubbing and dark alleyways where sets should be, give it a shot I guess. Another one nowhere near as good as its poster.

68. Cannibal Terror (1980)
That guy... up top there... he's one of your head cannibals. This is all so pathetic and embarrassing and so, of course, a great time. Sean Baker (Tangerine, Florida Project) compared this to The Room on Letterboxd and he isn't wrong. It feels so bizarre. Just everything about it and it all just piles up so fast (from a "the fuck are they doing?" standpoint) that I think this may cry out for a rewatch sometime soon. Everything from editing to set dressing to music choice. Everything. Just layers overlapping layers overlapping layers. Pure lunacy. This should be in a goddamned museum.

69. Totem (1999)
Crazy night continues. I think I liked this one a bit more than Dan. Maybe not "liked". I don't know what. Yeah, the sway cam is the first sign of just how rough things will get (well, the opening credits are the first sign, but following seasick-o-vision cements it). Really, this is a treatise on the illusion of choice. Somehow, all the dudes keep their shirts on for this one. Dave Decoteau's Cabin in the Woods.

70. Ghostkeeper
Stranded in a snow lodge with a nutjob and a wendingo. That's it. Great use of location. Very patient (some might say boring) set-up. Not a lost classic by any means but perhaps a little under seen. Cool ambient score. Just a confident lil' horror film from the early 80's.

Back to it. I have another 16 ready to go that'll I'll continue posting tomorrow or something.
Last edited by hiddenicon on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenicon

Postby hiddenicon » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Guess I'll do a few more.

71. City of the Living Dead
Another rewatch of a fave (and one I've posted before). Still love it. No movie pukes its innards out and bleeds from the eyes quite like this one.

72. The Nesting
Haunted house/ ghost revenge movie with a way too specific plot and shaky lead performance. Has some stuff to recommend for sure... bizarre mood throughout, wackadoo dream sequences, a cool scene on the roof of an even cooler mansion. Perfectly fine and mostly effective placeholder. Again, I think I'm just hitting some burnout (another reason I'm scaling this back next year... feel like I'm wasting some enjoyment).

73. Mansion of the Doomed
Fairly miserable experience, notable mainly for an early part for Lance Henrikson, some early Rick Baker FX, and its shameless riffing on Eyes Without a Face (but flipped around... surgeon tries to bring his blind daughter's sight back by stealing people's eyes). Yeah, it's a mostly miserable watch.

74. The Bloodstained Shadow
Mostly a giallo (unsolved murder kicks off string of murders decades later as an investigation connects the dots). Looks nice. Some cool kills. Easy twist you can see coming early but its all executed well in the end. Jesus, my blurbing fingers are tired.

75. Killer Workout AKA Aerobicide
Schlock classic and for good reason. It's not Death Spa, but it has a Z-grade charm and stupidity that delivers if youre into that sorta thing. The kills really lack after the opening. Absurdly lazy. The killer uses a giant safety pin to off people. Borderline pornographic aerobics classes.

76. Lyle
Short little Rosemary's Baby riff that doesn't overstay its welcome and gets the job done. Not quite mumblecore but it has that superindie vibe. Extremely simple premise with a satisfying conclusion.

77. Prince of Darkness (1986)
One of my few theatrical screening this year... had planned to see more, but I think after I watch the new 4K scan of The Fog next week, that'll do it (going to miss a double feature of Piranha and Humanoids From the Deep... too busy). This was also a new 4K scan and looked breathtaking. Such a great movie. Easily a top 25 horror movie for me.

78. Wounds
This was a big step back for the director after his debut ghost story Under the Shadow. Can barely believe it's the same director. A miscast Armie Hammer finds a cell phone that goes all Ringu on him. Zazie Beetz again gets annoyed by the shitty men in her life. Dakota Johnson wets herself. Weird shit happens because, you know, horror movie. It's one of those. Sorta liked the ending but not enough to save it. Here's hoping for a better follow-up from Babak Anvari... I'd hate to see him flame out so quickly.

79. Nothing But the Night
Poor man's Wicker Man, right down to Christopher Lee facin' down the fire. This one went down easy and had a solid ending... goddamn, I'm getting pretty broken record with this shit. I don't know, guys... Peter Cushing. Young Michael Gambon. Maybe evil kids. English countryside. 70's. Horror movie.

80. The Lift
Killer elevator. Dick Maas does about as well with that premise as you could hope for. I mean, how threatening can a killer elevator really be? Maas, amusingly, remade this in 2001 with James Marsden, Naomi Watts, and Michael Ironside. Someone go watch that one and tell me what they think.

hiddenicon

Postby odilon redon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:10 am

first reaction: :?

after watching trailer and seeing previous credits of the director: :ahuh:

plus its not like the og american remake is good at all

odilon redon

Postby Poptone » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:27 am

Man I haven't been posting updates at all. Rapid-fire rundown!

12. Lake Mungo (2008) 3.5/5
I dunno; maybe this one has been too hyped-up over the years and I set expectations higher than they should be. Enjoyable but not sure it had anything super profound to say, and I didn't find it scary. Like, at all.

13. The Horrible Dr. Hichcock (1962) 2.5/5
Surprising subject matter given the time frame, what with a necrophiliac doc playing some very dangerous role play games. Never as trashy as it needs to be; treads the line between straight-laced gothic horror and lurid pulp but never nails either.

14. Dark Shadows (2012) 2.5/5
Rewatched. This is real real bad but honest talk I crush so fucking hard on Eva Green in this that I can't objectively value it. Her and Jackie Earle Haley (sp?) are the only ones who came to this shoot prepared to work.

15. In the Tall Grass (2019) 1.5/5
This was a film.

16. House of 1000 Corpses (2003) 3/5
First rewatch of this ever. I used to HATE it. I don't now. Progress?

17. The Devil's Rejects (2005) 2.5/5
Again, first rewatch in a decade-plus. This should be so much fun but the pacing is...way off. How you gonna hire Trejo and then give him NOTHING to do?

Poptone
cat fan

Postby dan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Oct. 28
Deadly Love (1987)
Two love-sick teenagers named Buddy and Ann decide to elope, but Buddy is murdered. Twenty years later, Ann uses black magic to summon long-dead Buddy to her bedroom every night until local teenagers drive her to suicide. When Ann's niece inherits the home, she's plagued by violent teenagers, a homicidal maniac and a walking dead man - all the nightmares that come with the house.

Very peaceful movie with a slightly weird (hate to say Lynchian but nothing else is coming to mind) vibe. The pace is glacial; the whole first 45 minutes probably would have been the first 5 minutes of any other movie and the rest isn't exactly action packed, mostly some rowdy teens getting scared by a barn. I liked the first half and then really zoned out hard on the second, very little happens but it was nice to chill out to this and admire the woods while listening to the same song 18 times. C+

dan

Postby RIXX » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:39 pm

ashtrayheart wrote:
shacky wrote:

this is dece yeah

second

some real good spooks

I did like this a lot. Got a little silly for a while but i think the twist redeemed it. Also Emile hirsch needs to stop being in movies

Anyway I’m gonna watch this tonight

RIXX

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:43 pm

Joe Bob's Halloween Hootenanny is on Shudder now. He covers Halloween, Halloween IV, and Halloween V.
#weirdnight

FourLegsGood

Postby RIXX » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:42 pm

nvm watching “Await Further Instructions”

RIXX

Postby futurist » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:21 am

how do i have zero recollection of texas chainsaw 3-d. i think i've seen it twice.

i might try it again and try giving it a break...

futurist

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:38 am

I'm three movies away from hitting my 365 horror movie mark and also please kill me why did I decide to do this?
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby goofy's dead wife » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:45 am

texas chainsaw 3d has a scene where trey songz listens to trey songz

it's not 'good' but i think it's easily the most fun sequel in the franchise after the second film

goofy's dead wife

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:07 pm

theta wrote:i made this list for october but i haven't been able to make much of a dent in it

same. between being busy and getting sick this year was kind of a wash for me.

oh well.

light rail coyote

Postby dan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:37 pm

Oct. 29
Screaming for Sanity: Truth or Dare 3 (1998)
Mike Strauber, the copper-masked madman of Truth or Dare? is back... And this time, it's for real.

Back to the madness again, this time things center on Clive, a grief-stricken husband who lost his wife and son in the rampage from the first movie, and Dr. Hess who failed to stop the rampage in the first place. Clive pays hookers to cut his chest up while he boils over with disdain and Hess is being hounded by people thinking he's behind a new rash of slayings. This takes a total 180 from Wicked Games: Truth or Dare 2: the rage is now mostly focused inward toward personal failure rather than angrily out at the rest of the world, and the violence is targeted at the people exploiting tragedy rather than...uh...women in general. The sex has also been drastically toned down and is sort of done with a storytelling purpose even. Coming from the constant delusions and mindless butchery last installment this almost functions as a real (albeit zero-budget) movie. But to balance that good is the bad that the uninhibited zaniness of the first two movies is almost totally gone, and that actually too much of the movie is just basic plot progression with scenes that could have been copy-pasted from any other movie. I think if things would have just focused fully on Clive this could have all been avoided as the Hess stuff never really clicked. Still feel like I need to complete the journey with the remaining two films, but as of right now I can't find them. Also do want to praise the knockoff Metallica song in this that has a spoken word section where the singer reads the encyclopedia entry for AIDS. C

dan

Postby futurist » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:09 am

WOW!! WOWWWW

why did nobody tell me that The Witch Who Came From The Sea wasn't a period piece about a witch??? (i'm not super drawn to those things.)Toggle Spoiler

fucking amazing.

Night Tide meets A Woman's Torment (if i had so describe it for fun.)

exploitation/video nasty that doesn't rely on the exploitative or the nasty.

would a brilliant film, can't believe i put it off for so long.

futurist

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....