Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Disko aka Disco » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:43 am

RIXX wrote:nvm watching “Await Further Instructions”

I wanna see this and girl on the 3rd floor this week..

Disko aka Disco

Postby dan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:30 pm

Oct. 30
Horror (2003)(I imagine it's impossible to google this so I'm linking the IMDB)
This visually arresting chiller concerns a group of runaway teens that escape from a drug rehab and encounter demonic forces in a rural farmhouse.

I could do at least 5 more goat gifs that's how much he's in the movie (the goat provider is thanked in the opening credits even) and how much he crushes it every scene. When the movie's not on the goat it's on these mushroom popping teens wandering aimlessly around the farmhouse, cut against flashbacks to a revival preacher poisoning his daughter inbetween snowy sermons with his congregation of freaks, cut against a 68-year old Amazing Kreskin doing his act dressed as a priest named Salo, who's name he makes everyone shout a hundred times after he mentally paralyzes someone. It sounds like the best movie ever from all that but then there's all the boring bits which are much harder to describe and are mostly just wandering around, waiting, or stumbling past zombies in the snow. I appreciate the ambition and tone on display here and I'll check out some of the director's other horror movies sometime, including the one starring Vincent Pastore. C+

dan

Postby hiddenicon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 pm

81. Strange Behavior
100% serviceable way to kill ninety minutes. Watched this one a couple times over the past decade. Mad scientists dick around with the brains of teens to turn them into mind-controlled slasher villains. Soundtrack by Tangerine Dream, The Birthday Party, and Lou Christie. Never watched it back to back with the director's bizarro 50's sci-fi homage (and second film in a cancelled thematic trilogy) Strange Invaders. I prefer it to Behavior, though this is the much more sturdily built film. Laughlin only made one more movie after Strange Invaders, the 1986 Jodie Foster/John Lithgow movie Mesmerized... can anyone tell me if that's worth my time?

82. Who Can Kill a Child?
Another rewatch and a favorite...though if you've yet to see it, do yourself a favor and get the shorter cut. I watched the longer version for the first time, and the already fucked-up visuals of actual human atrocity that runs under the opening credits is padded out to about 3 times its original length. Bit of a buzz kill for an otherwise perfectly executed take on the killer kids subgenre. Bad child actors have ruined many a horror film, but this one is impeccably cast (the adults maybe a bit less so.) Great mix of nausea and glee when it comes to the answer to the titular quandary. Such a barren, hopeless atmosphere to the whole thing while still maintaining an exhilaration factor. Tough tightrope act... wobbles a few times but still pulls it off with gusto.

83. The House That Screamed
First time. Won't be the last. Decided to watch back-to-back with Who Can Kill a Child as they're both from director Narciso Ibanez Serrador (a director who just didn't make enough features, though apparently found a pretty solid career in TV... more on that in a moment). Lands somewhere between Picnic at Hanging Rock and Suspiria (the vibe and dinged up visuals of the former, the giallo and genre conventions of the latter). Killer at a Victorian-era school for wayward girls. Feels a solid decade younger than it is. The horror is doled out frugally, then when it arrives it's stylish and confident. Just a great, lived in horror movie with plenty of those ASMRy perks... rainstorms, dark corridors, candle lit murder. It's a bit soapy at times (in the best ways) and could easily get by excised of its non-horror elements as just a solid drama. One of the better first watches of this year's hundo.

84. To Let
A revisit as well (from the red envelope days) but I only remembered the barest of details. While looking through Serrador's filmography (he of the previous two movies above), I noticed he first came to fame with a Spanish television anthology series called "Historias para no dormir" (Stories to Keep You Awake), directing and writing all 29 episodes from 1966 to 1982 (Who Can Kill A Child and House That Screamed were made in between all those). Anyway, that series had a brief revival in the mid-2000's with 6 feature length episodes. This was one of 'em, a dopey but fun little movie about a deranged landlady who attempts to rent out her building by force, keeping her new tenants prisoner. It's all super silly stuff, but a lot of fun regardless. Director Jaume Balagueró clearly used this as a trial run for the film that'd gain him some international fame with "Rec" the following year.

85. The Baby's Room
Another rewatch and another from "Stories to Keep You Awake" revival. This one is a bit better regarded than "To Let" (basically a story of new parents accidentally discovering a window into supernatural shenanigans via their baby monitor) though I found it just a bit padded out. Its highs are pretty solid though and it has some effectively chilling visuals (that screencap above looks like a lo-fi premonition of Mike Flanagan's career). And, burying the lead, the director is no slouch himself...Álex de la Iglesia has a few minor genre classics under his belt (understatement) with Day of the Beast, Witching and Bitching, The Last Circus, etc., all of which you should check out as well.

86. Madhouse (1981)
Don't know why I found this one so unpleasant (might be the graphic animal deaths), but this mean little fucker didn't sit as well with me as it does other horror fans. Standard issue psycho revenge story delivered in a very non-standard way (largely in the jaws of a demonic Rottweiler). The shift of tones from zany to vicious mixed with a twisty narrative just didn't land for me, though I was amused by the performance of the head psychopath and the whole movie just radiates energy. I don't know... I probably just wasn't in the right mindset. I can imagine revisiting this one more favorably in the future.

87. All the Colors of the Night
I've bitched and moaned about my imperviousness to the charms of most straight-forward giallos on these lists for a couple of years now. Maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome, but I'm starting to really come around. Sorta loved this satanic twist on all the old tropes. Sex, murder, black masses, nonsensical plotting (though this one seemed pretty streamlined by the giallo yardstick). Edwige Fenech seems custom ordered for this shit, and she and all the other pretty boys and girls blend nicely with the English vistas, complete with old castles and mod designer duds. Such beautiful transcendent trash, this one. A new fave.

88. Island of the Fishmen AKA Screamers
And so now I'm chasing down more Sergio Martino films, leading me to fall face first into Island of the Fishmen. If Humanoids of the Deep fucked an old-school voodoo zombie movie, this'd be it. With Joseph Cotten and, thankfully, far less rape. What a weird goddamned movie this is... Island of Doctor Moreau that has itself been Moreau-ed with other genre affects. Sort of loved it, though I'm a little ashamed to admit that the studio mandated, tacked-on opening (meant to up the film's gore and Cameron Mitchell quota) is probably my favorite part....much like the studio interference that made Humanoids so memorable, it has a zeal to it the rest of the film lacks. Luckily, the rest of the movie makes up for it in a milkshake of sheer crazy plot developments and rubber monsters.

89. Torso (1980)
More Martino. This is his best known film and is pretty much straight giallo, no chaser. And it fucking rocks. An hour of set-up with some great (jesus, i'm going to say it again, aren't I?) set pieces leading to a final act that's essentially a single location cat-and-mouse chase that is genuinely tense and, again, bursting with style. And with this, Martino is becoming a quick favorite and I can't wait to delve into his other stuff (though, as it turns out, our paths already crossed thanks to my love of schlock sci-fi... hello "2019: After the Fall of NY" and "Hands of Steel").

90. Paganini Horror
Another first timer. Saw this one on the release schedule for upcoming remastered blu rays and thought I'd jump the gun and watch a shit analog transfer, the way God intended. An all girl rock band awakens a violin playing demon and then I felt like I was Robotripping so I'm not exactly sure what. Such a beautiful embarrassment. Happy to see this one will find a new audience. Looking at the world around us, we deserve it.

Got one last update I'll throw up tomorrow (not changing the phrasing on that). About to watch number 100 right now. :)

hiddenicon

Postby FourLegsGood » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:20 pm

So far this October... mostly normie stuff

Candyman
The Beyond
Nightmare on Elm Street IV
Nightmare on Elm Street V
Nightmare on Elm Street VI
The Old Dark House
The House That Dripped Blood
Twins of Evil
Halloween
The Exorcist III
Torso
Suspiria (2019)
The Ghoul
The Pit and the Pendulum
Ice Cream Man
Ma
The Haunted Strangler
The Bride and Beast
Cat People
Patrick
Dial M for Murder
The Convent
Santa Sangre
Carnival of Souls
Brain Damage
Two Thousand Maniacs
Bucket of Blood
Godzilla
Color Me Blood Red
Orphan
Deep Red
Cutting Class
Popcorn
Motel Hell
The Stepfather
Friday the 13th, pt III
War of the Worlds (1953)
Barbarian Sound System
Never Sleep Again
Crystal Lake Memories
Document of the Dead
Escape Room
Retro Puppet Master
The Invitation
Viy
Diabolique
Eyes Without A Face
Tusk
Eli Roth's History of Horror
The Lodger
Firestarter
#weirdnight

FourLegsGood

Postby FourLegsGood » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:24 pm

No possible way to break 100 but maybe I can break 60 by tomorrow night
#weirdnight

FourLegsGood

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:36 am

hit 17 yesterday, probably 18 if we watch somethin tonight

am I crazy for thinking Carnival Of Souls feels like an influence on Silent Hill? (and Lynch obv)
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby concerning » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:40 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:hit 17 yesterday, probably 18 if we watch somethin tonight

am I crazy for thinking Carnival Of Souls feels like an influence on Silent Hill? (and Lynch obv)

i just watched carnival of souls and definitely got this vibe!!

just watched jason x on 35mm, that movie is a hoot. fixing to hit 30 for the month unless i can squeeze one more in today somehow before halloween 3.

concerning

Postby Ampersand » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 am

<3 Paganini Horror.

slizwiz and I podcasted about it!

Ampersand

Postby Poptone » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:30 am

yeah Paganini's a lot of fun.

PUDGIE WUDGIE?!?!?!

i grew up in Pudgie's neighborhood. his owner recently died and my friends who were involved in a documentary about his life are getting aaaallll of his Pudgie stuff: boxes of newspaper clippings and VHS tapes of appearances, an even larger number of boxes filled with cat costumes, etc.

if you haven't watched the doc on Frank, I highly recommend it. it's very touching

Poptone
cat fan

Postby dreamshake » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:36 am

I'm watching the prowler and my goodness this movie is a delight. Can it really be said enough how great tom savini is?
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby dreamshake » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:37 am

this is one of my favorite slashers along with my bloody valentine. love the killer's costume and the gore is just so so so good.
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:49 am

Can't decide what to watch as my 365th movie tonight. Guess I could go my annual tradition of watching Messiah of Evil on Halloween.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby dreamshake » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:16 pm

the back half of the prowler loses a lot of the steam that the first half had. but man that final death is gross. just as good as scanners.
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby Down n dirty rufus » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:33 pm

Yeah I like The Prowler despite the second half of the movie being 45 minutes of people walking through doors and hallways

Down n dirty rufus

Postby dan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 pm

Oct. 31
Captives (1988)
A woman and breaks into the perfect suburban home to confront the mother and her baby inside about the shocking past her husband is hiding from her.

Doing 2 from Gary P. Cohen, writer/director of Video Violence, to round out the month but it's two big letdowns. Captives is pretty standard intruders doing some mental/physical torture of a mom and her mother-in-law in their peaceful home (really bizarre house layout, the kitchen is on the second floor?). It's moderately tense, you do kind of fear that something is gonna happen to the baby, and the old 8mm movie that gets shown is a little unnerving but has nowhere near the truly creepy, icky feeling that Video Violence was able to pull off. Soundtrack is all good jams at least. D+

Video Violence 2 (1988)
Howard and Eli, the killers from the first Video Violence movie, are back and are now hosting their own TV show. Broadcast secretly from their basement, the show looks a the fine art of murder, letting other aspiring psychos send in videos of their handiwork for the world to enjoy.

A pirate cable access horror talkshow where they do America's Funniest Snuff videos is a pretty good concept, and a smart twist on what Video Violence was doing with rental store snuff vids, but there's really nothing to this movie. It's all just the sick indulgent torture bits of Video Violence 1 with none of the plot, locations, atmosphere, or mystery that made the first one satisfying. Just a clip show of snuff and lame jokes with a really unpleasant ongoing live torture to some poor woman (I guess the one point I can praise is just how grossed out and uncomfortable Howard and Eli's gleeful banter made me feel, it's honestly impressive) The whole movie ticked me off and it only got worse when the triple, maybe quadruple depending how you look at it, fake-outToggle Spoiler occurs during the ending. D-

dan

Postby kid_chameleon » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:02 pm

Always try to do a classic and a modern on hallow’s eve. This year the classic was EVIL DEAD 2...help me pick the modern :
Hagasuza
Crawl
The hole in the ground
It comes at night
Happy death day
Piercing

kid_chameleon

Postby thrang » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:11 pm

I thought it comes at night was pretty solid and grim but crawl is a pretty good fun one
thrang

Postby futurist » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:25 pm

dunno how many i hit this month.. 30 or so? but i hit 1300 overall while getting ready tonight. while i wait for my lyft let's see what i got..

i think i already posted about Witch Who Came From The Sea. fucking amazing.

Cat and the Canary (1938) - kinda goofy, a little lighthearted. i wanted more swampiness and creepiness. Bob Hope's character was like a proto-Matthew Lillard Scream character. that was kinda fun

Humanoids From the Deep (1980) - tonally, this was a little more serious than i had hoped for. i wanted more latex and more goo. but apparently the actors were told they were making a different film and then a lot of the fish-fucking was added later. tbh, a really really well-made monster movie. i'm just more of a sucker for camp

Return Of The Living Dead Part II (1988) - whoever said this was bad? not as good as the first, but for a pizza party meathead 80's romper this was fun

Night of the Demons 2 (1994) - same as above. morbid angel, nuns talking about fellatio, good dumb fun.

futurist

Postby jalapeño ranch » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:24 am

Here's my official list of 365 horror films watched this year loosely rated from favorite to least favorite. I can try and expound on any films of interest but I did not have time to write up my thoughts on each film due to... time constraints? Being burnt out halfway through? Why did I do this? Good god.

Finishing off Halloween with my annual Messiah of Evil watch. I love this movie so much.

The Shining (1980) ★★★★★
Green Room (2015) ★★★★★
Messiah of Evil (1973) ★★★★★
Under the Skin (2013) ★★★★★
The Thing (1982) ★★★★★
Jaws (1975) ★★★★★
I Saw the Devil (2010) ★★★★★
Hellraiser (1987) ★★★★★
Zodiac (2007) ★★★★★
Tenebre (1982) ★★★★½
The House by the Cemetery (1981) ★★★★½
Society (1989) ★★★★½
Wake in Fright (1971) ★★★★½
Ms .45 (1981) ★★★★½
Humanoids from the Deep (1980) ★★★★½
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) ★★★★½
Demons (1985) ★★★★½
An American Werewolf in London (1981) ★★★★½
The Vanishing (1988) ★★★★½
The House That Jack Built (2018) ★★★★½
Brain Damage (1988) ★★★★½
The Silence of the Lambs (1991) ★★★★½
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) ★★★★½
Angst (1983) ★★★★½
The Addiction (1995) ★★★★½
Blood Rage (1987) ★★★★½
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) ★★★★½
Dead & Buried (1981) ★★★★½
Hereditary (2018) ★★★★½
Ravenous (1999) ★★★★½
Rituals (1977) ★★★★½
The Cabin in the Woods (2011) ★★★★½
We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) ★★★★½
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) ★★★★
Race with the Devil (1975) ★★★★
Devil Times Five (1974) ★★★★
Next of Kin (1982) ★★★★
Midsommar (2019) ★★★★
My Bloody Valentine (1981) ★★★★
Piercing (2018) ★★★★
Us (2019) ★★★★
The House on Sorority Row (1983) ★★★★
Images (1972) ★★★★
The House of the Devil (2009) ★★★★
The Descent (2005) ★★★★
Candyman (1992) ★★★★
Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) ★★★★
Scream (1996) ★★★★
Child’s Play (1988) ★★★★
Death Proof (2007) ★★★★
The Lost Boys (1987) ★★★★
They Live (1988) ★★★★
Piranha 3D (2010) ★★★★
Vinyan (2008) ★★★★
The Initiation (1984) ★★★★
Black Swan (2010) ★★★★
Child’s Play 2 (1990) ★★★★
Kill List (2011) ★★★★
New Nightmare (1994) ★★★★
Suspiria (2018) ★★★★
Climax (2018) ★★★★
The Outing (1987) ★★★★
Maximum Overdrive (1986) ★★★★
Sisters (1972) ★★★★
The Loved Ones (2009) ★★★★
Trick ’r Treat (2007) ★★★★
American Psycho (2000) ★★★★
28 Days Later (2002) ★★★★
Tales from the Hood (1995) ★★★★
Martin (1978) ★★★★
The ’Burbs (1989) ★★★★
Annihilation (2018) ★★★★
Overlord (2018) ★★★★
Death Game (1977) ★★★★
The Mephisto Waltz (1971) ★★★★
Bones (2001) ★★★★
Blade II (2002) ★★★★
Halloween (2018) ★★★½
Crawl (2019) ★★★½
High Life (2018) ★★★½
Cheap Thrills (2013) ★★★½
Cape Fear (1991) ★★★½
Bug (1975) ★★★½
Dark Waters (1993) ★★★½
Friday the 13th (1980) ★★★½
The Hitcher (1986) ★★★½
Rogue (2007) ★★★½
Dolls (1987) ★★★½
Ticks (1993) ★★★½
The Beyond (1981) ★★★½
Don’t Breathe (2016) ★★★½
Split Second (1992) ★★★½
Death Ship (1980) ★★★½
The Slumber Party Massacre (1982) ★★★½
The Funhouse (1981) ★★★½
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) ★★★½
Carrie (1976) ★★★½
The Evil Dead (1981) ★★★½
A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985) ★★★½
The Monster Squad (1987) ★★★½
Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973) ★★★½
Terror Train (1980) ★★★½
Tourist Trap (1979) ★★★½
Deep Rising (1998) ★★★½
It (2017) ★★★½
Deathgasm (2015) ★★★½
Wolf Creek (2005) ★★★½
Wolf Creek 2 (2013) ★★★½
The Mist (2007) ★★★½
Gerald’s Game (2017) ★★★½
Blade (1998) ★★★½
Spasms (1983) ★★★½
Demons 2 (1986) ★★★½
Mausoleum (1983) ★★★½
In Fabric (2018) ★★★½
The Host (2006) ★★★½
Bad Dreams (1988) ★★★½
Vampire’s Kiss (1988) ★★★½
The Quiet Earth (1985) ★★★½
Cat People (1982) ★★★½
Madhouse (1981) ★★★½
Grand Piano (2013) ★★★½
Castle Freak (1995) ★★★½
Mom (1991) ★★★½
Cabin Fever (2002) ★★★½
Maniac (2012) ★★★½
Inferno (1980) ★★★½
Pledge Night (1990) ★★★½
Attack the Block (2011) ★★★½
The Boogey Man (1980) ★★★½
Popcorn (1991) ★★★½
The Frighteners (1996) ★★★½
Joy Ride (2001) ★★★½
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) ★★★½
Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016) ★★★½
Brightburn (2019) ★★★½
Slumber Party Massacre II (1987) ★★★½
Evil Dead II (1987) ★★★½
The Ruins (2008) ★★★½
The Dead Don’t Die (2019) ★★★½
Upgrade (2018) ★★★½
May (2002) ★★★½
Lovely Molly (2012) ★★★½
The Crazies (2010) ★★★½
Ganja & Hess (1973) ★★★½
Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979) ★★★½
Class of 1984 (1982) ★★★½
Q (1982) ★★★½
A Blade in the Dark (1983) ★★★½
The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) ★★★½
Session 9 (2001) ★★★½
Lisa (1990) ★★★½
Little Monsters (2019) ★★★½
Haunt (2019) ★★★½
The Strangeness (1985) ★★★½
Knife+Heart (2018) ★★★½
The Banana Splits Movie (2019) ★★★½
Buried (2010) ★★★½
Joshua (2007) ★★★½
The Bad Seed (1956) ★★★½
Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror (2019) ★★★½
Lake Mungo (2008) ★★★½
Child’s Play (2019) ★★★
Ma (2019) ★★★
Alucarda (1977) ★★★
Madman (1981) ★★★
Someone’s Watching Me! (1978) ★★★
The Lift (1983) ★★★
Triangle (2009) ★★★
Funny Games (2007) ★★★
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985) ★★★
The Girl Next Door (2007) ★★★
The Perfection (2018) ★★★
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968) ★★★
The Last House on the Left (2009) ★★★
Starry Eyes (2014) ★★★
Willard (2003) ★★★
Escape Room (2019) ★★★
A Quiet Place (2018) ★★★
Mimic (1997) ★★★
Pumpkinhead (1988) ★★★
Murder Party (2007) ★★★
The Strangers (2008) ★★★
The Strangers: Prey at Night (2018) ★★★
Leprechaun (1993) ★★★
Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) ★★★
The Crazies (1973) ★★★
Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991) ★★★
The Faculty (1998) ★★★
Luz (2018) ★★★
Leprechaun Returns (2018) ★★★
Vampire in Brooklyn (1995) ★★★
Unfriended (2014) ★★★
Cult of Chucky (2017) ★★★
Bride of Chucky (1998) ★★★
Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019) ★★★
Let Me In (2010) ★★★
Happy Death Day 2U (2019) ★★★
Drag Me to Hell (2009) ★★★
Wishmaster (1997) ★★★
Lifeforce (1985) ★★★
Webcast (2018) ★★★
Serial Mom (1994) ★★★
I Drink Your Blood (1970) ★★★
Good Neighbours (2011) ★★★
Roadgames (1981) ★★★
Saw (2004) ★★★
A Return to Salem’s Lot (1987) ★★★
Freddy vs. Jason (2003) ★★★
Creep (2014) ★★★
Dead Birds (2004) ★★★
Fallen (1998) ★★★
Juan of the Dead (2011) ★★★
Life (2017) ★★★
The Orphanage (2007) ★★★
The Collector (2009) ★★★
Hell Fest (2018) ★★★
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) ★★★
One Cut of the Dead (2017) ★★★
Bordello of Blood (1996) ★★★
The Exorcist III (1990) ★★★
Hider in the House (1989) ★★★
Darlin’ (2019) ★★★
Tales from the Hood 2 (2018) ★★★
Frailty (2001) ★★★
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) ★★★
Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018) ★★★
The Dead Pit (1989) ★★★
Nightmare Sisters (1988) ★★★
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) ★★★
Fire in the Sky (1993) ★★★
Head Count (2018) ★★★
The Predator (2018) ★★★
What Lies Beneath (2000) ★★★
Mako: The Jaws of Death (1976) ★★★
Pet Sematary (1989) ★★½
One Dark Night (1982) ★★½
Among the Living (2014) ★★½
Friday the 13th Part III (1982) ★★½
Child’s Play 3 (1991) ★★½
Cujo (1983) ★★½
Satanic Panic (2019) ★★½
The Wind (2018) ★★½
Friday the 13th (2009) ★★½
Downrange (2017) ★★½
C.H.U.D. (1984) ★★½
Evil Toons (1992) ★★½
Cannibal Ferox (1981) ★★½
Halloween II (2009) ★★½
Leprechaun 3 (1995) ★★½
Leprechaun 2 (1994) ★★½
Thinner (1996) ★★½
Scanner Cop (1994) ★★½
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever v2009) ★★½
Fear (1996) ★★½
Creep 2 (2017) ★★½
The Clovehitch Killer (2018) ★★½
The Craft (1996) ★★½
Cursed (2005) ★★½
In the Tall Grass (2019) ★★½
Pulse (1988) ★★½
Nightwish (1989) ★★½
The Purge (2013) ★★½
Fatal Games (1984) ★★½
Dracula (1931) ★★½
Die! Die! My Darling! (1965) ★★½
Jaws 2 (1978) ★★½
Tragedy Girls (2017) ★★½
Curse of Chucky (2013) ★★½
Critters (1986) ★★½
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988) ★★½
House (1986) ★★½
28 Weeks Later (2007) ★★½
Effects (1980) ★★½
3 from Hell (2019) ★★½
The Night Stalker (1972) ★★½
Jaws: The Revenge (1987) ★★½
Glass (2019) ★★½
Velvet Buzzsaw (2019) ★★½
The Visit (2015) ★★½
Scary Movie (2000) ★★½
Jason X (2001) ★★
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988) ★★
Creature (1985) ★★
Knock Knock (2015) ★★
Monkey Shines (1988) ★★
P2 (2007) ★★
Monster Party (2018) ★★
My Bloody Valentine (2009) ★★
Jack Frost (1997) ★★
The Intruder (2019) ★★
Let Us Prey (2014) ★★
The Blair Witch Project (1999) ★★
Body Count (1986) ★★
Contamination (1980) ★★
Jigsaw (2017) ★★
Saw II (2005) ★★
Saw IV (2007) ★★
Saw 3D (2010) ★★
Ghost Ship (2002) ★★
Death Warmed Up (1985) ★★
Disturbing Behavior (1998) ★★
Blade: Trinity (2004) ★★
Blue Blood (1973) ★★
Party Hard, Die Young (2018) ★★
13 Ghosts (1960) ★★
The Happening (2008) ★★
Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II (2015) ★★
Ruin Me (2017) ★★
Pledge (2018) ★★
Dead Ant (2017) ★★
Zombie High (1987) ★★
Sorority Row (2009) ★★
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998) ★½
An American Werewolf in Paris (1997) ★½
Ouija (2014) ★½
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993) ★½
Braid (2018) ★½
Seed of Chucky (2004) ★½
Pet Sematary (2019) ★½
Hard Candy (2005) ★½
The Unseen (1980) ★½
Leprechaun 4: In Space (1996) ★½
The Dentist (1996) ★½
Scanners: The Showdown (1995) ★½
Needful Things (1993) ★½
Saw VI (2009) ★½
Thriller (2018) ★½
The Descent: Part 2 (2009) ★½
Jaws 3-D (1983) ★½
Mockingbird (2014) ★½
Cooties (2014) ★½
Zombie Tidal Wave (2019) ★½
Open Water (2003) ★½
Hell Night (1981) ★½
Bone Daddy (1998) ★½
Curve (2015) ★½
ATM (2012) ★½
Stay Alive (2006) ★½
Haunters: The Art of the Scare (2017) ★½
4/20 Massacre (2018) ★½
The Hole in the Ground (2019) ★½
Stir of Echoes: The Homecoming (2007) ★½
10x10 (2018) ★½
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) ★
A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (1989) ★
The Hazing (2004) ★
Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood (2003) ★
Leprechaun: Origins (2014) ★
Open Windows (2014) ★
The Dark Tower (2017) ★
Saw V (2008) ★
The Last Showing (2014) ★
Vacancy 2: The First Cut (2008) ★
Aliens vs Predator: Requiem (2007) ★
Flight of the Living Dead (2007) ★
Apollo 18 (2011) ★
The Silence (2019) ★
Jacob’s Ladder (2019) ★
Dead Water (2019) ½
Living Space (2018) ½
I’ll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006) ½
The Haunting of Sharon Tate (2019) ½
Saw III (2006) ½
The Scarehouse (2014) ½

jalapeño ranch

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Should have posted this last night, but I really, really was just spent. Here's the end of the list.

91. StageFright: Aquarius
This one is starting to become an almost annual watch for me. Just a very satisfying, single location slasher/giallo with a perfect cheese to thrills ratio. I like Soavi across the board, but he never really topped this. Written by Antropophagus himself, George Eastman, under the pseudonym Lew Cooper.

92. Berberian Sound Studio
Another "barely a horror film" horror film, but I hadn't revisited this one since I started watching giallos in earnest a few a years. Still not quite sure what to make of it but I did find the nods a bit funnier this time out (don't remember even picking up on the black gloved projectionist the first time out.) The "turn" in the film remains the best part and I could have used more moments like that though, as I was soon to learn with the next movie, too much Peter Strickland can be a detriment as well. Anyway, it was a fun rewatch, but I'll never be all in on it.

93. In Fabric
Peter Strickland double header and, like with Berberian Sound Studio, there is a lot to admire about In Fabric but I just can't fully get on board. Some terrific performances, it's every bit as gorgeous as his previous films, and it is seriously wackadoo from the ground up (even more so than the premise "serial killer dress" would alone imply). Chock full to the brim with little world building details. Loved that shit the most. But it is also extremely unfocused and overstuffed where simplicity wouldv'e been the preferred route. Strickland is starting to remind me of a more technically skilled version of another name that appeared in the opening credits, Ben Wheatley, a director who I admire but whose films usually frustrate in equal measure (both have only one film each I really fully enjoy... for Strickland, it's his non-horror offering The Duke of Burgundy and for Wheatley, Sightseers.) This one is still a recommend, though I was exhausted by the time the credits rolled. The first 45 minutes or so unwind nicely... just impatient as hell with it by the end.

94. Legacy of Satan
This was a not a great chaser to In Fabric. I was already grumpy with how close that film came to really hitting a homerun and the marathon was starting to take a toll on me as I got so near the end. This was famously shot as a porno, before having all the naughty bits excised to play as a straight horror film. It doesn't. It plays more like "dull... dull... acid trip... dull...trip...repeat". Fun for what it was but very poorly placed as my 94th film in just over 30 days.

95. Hausu
Heading down the home stretch, I did the sensible thing. I watched shit I already knew that I loved. Hausu has it's rep for a reason. This fucker never lets you catch your breath and no matter how many times I see it, I always forget about some little flourish here or some batshit directorial decision there. Cream of the crop madness and bravura filmmaking. It's every face on the art schlock Mount Rushmore.

96. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Hadn't revisited this one in a decade or so... always had fond memories of it and it's rep has certainly grown in stature over the years, even if the careers of those involved didn't follow suit (lead actress looked so familiar... loved when I discovered she played Kevin McCallister's sister). Genuinely funny and clever. Not all the jokes land and the faux documentary angle, while necessary to how the story is told, remains, logically, a fucking mess, but it has a breezy confidence and remains an easy watch.

97. Severance
Never quite sure why this one never seemed to find a larger audience. Seems a bit divisive, or at the least, overlooked. Sure, the meaner... dare I say mid-aughts, "torture porny" veneer might throw some people off, especially when paired with its "The Office on crack" sitcom set-up, but I think it mixes together much better than it should. I don't know. Humor is a pretty subjective thing, but I find this a pretty funny movie. Like that wave up in the screencap... that scene balances horror and comedy perfectly. Plenty of little moments subvert the genre while still remembering to have a good time and deliver the expected horror beats. Set-up/payoff... huge components in comedy and horror and Christopher Smith (who has gone on to have a minor but respectable genre career with stuff like Triangle, Detour, and Black Death) makes sure all the beats feel earned. I really like Severance. Wish more people did.

98. The Faculty
Saw this one in a near empty theater they year it was released. Loved it back then. Horror was just starting to shake itself out of its 90's funk. It had Kevin Williamson doing his thing. Robert Rodriquez was still ascendant (or seemed so anyway). Cool cast. Now, of course, it's dated as hell, with some genuinely awful CG and a ton of cringey music and fashion choices, some pitiful one liners, and just some really weird story choices. I have no idea how this would hold for someone without the nostalgia factor, but I still had a great time revisiting this, the flaws especially.

99. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
This turned out to be a great back-to-back with Faculty. Hooper's cartoon middle finger to the giant monkey on the back of his career and the very idea of sequels. He was never going to recapture the grit of TCM, so he instead drove the series off the cliff in a brilliant spectacle, turning everything up to 11, laughing at the genre he helped to define, and still delivering helluva a fun film to boot. Outside of maybe Gremlins 2, has there ever been a sequel that deconstructed the legend that grew up around the original offering more effectively and completely than TCM 2?

100. Halloween III
Watched this one on a Kindle in a dark elementary school classroom on Halloween, sipping contraband hooch, as children partied down the hall. I highly recommend everyone watch it that way.

101. Us
Final movie of Halloween night. Second viewing. Think this one might have some staying power... after the hype has worn down, this is just a non-earth shattering but still pretty fucking solid Twilight Zone episode that, sure, is a touch below Get Out but really hits the mark once it clears that "expectations" hurdle.

Yeah. That's it. Probably the final Halloween Hundo (or at least the last for a year or two... this shit is exhausting). Most likely I scale back to 50 next year. Thanks for reading and making me feel like this dumb fucking exercise in masochistic fandom was a productive achievement, you enabling assholes.
Last edited by hiddenicon on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiddenicon

Postby palmer eldritch » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:48 pm

oh hell yeah ranked list AND star ratings (tone sincere)

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:57 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:Here's my official list of 365 horror films watched this year loosely rated from favorite to least favorite. I can try and expound on any films of interest but I did not have time to write up my thoughts on each film due to... time constraints? Being burnt out halfway through? Why did I do this? Good god.

Finishing off Halloween with my annual Messiah of Evil watch. I love this movie so much.

The Shining (1980) ★★★★★
Green Room (2015) ★★★★★
Messiah of Evil (1973) ★★★★★
Under the Skin (2013) ★★★★★
The Thing (1982) ★★★★★
Jaws (1975) ★★★★★
I Saw the Devil (2010) ★★★★★
Hellraiser (1987) ★★★★★
Zodiac (2007) ★★★★★
Tenebre (1982) ★★★★½
The House by the Cemetery (1981) ★★★★½
Society (1989) ★★★★½
Wake in Fright (1971) ★★★★½
Ms .45 (1981) ★★★★½
Humanoids from the Deep (1980) ★★★★½
Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) ★★★★½
Demons (1985) ★★★★½
An American Werewolf in London (1981) ★★★★½
The Vanishing (1988) ★★★★½
The House That Jack Built (2018) ★★★★½
Brain Damage (1988) ★★★★½
The Silence of the Lambs (1991) ★★★★½
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) ★★★★½
Angst (1983) ★★★★½
The Addiction (1995) ★★★★½
Blood Rage (1987) ★★★★½
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) ★★★★½
Dead & Buried (1981) ★★★★½
Hereditary (2018) ★★★★½
Ravenous (1999) ★★★★½
Rituals (1977) ★★★★½
The Cabin in the Woods (2011) ★★★★½
We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011) ★★★★½
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) ★★★★
Race with the Devil (1975) ★★★★
Devil Times Five (1974) ★★★★
Next of Kin (1982) ★★★★
Midsommar (2019) ★★★★
My Bloody Valentine (1981) ★★★★
Piercing (2018) ★★★★
Us (2019) ★★★★
The House on Sorority Row (1983) ★★★★
Images (1972) ★★★★
The House of the Devil (2009) ★★★★
The Descent (2005) ★★★★
Candyman (1992) ★★★★
Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) ★★★★
Scream (1996) ★★★★
Child’s Play (1988) ★★★★
Death Proof (2007) ★★★★
The Lost Boys (1987) ★★★★
They Live (1988) ★★★★
Piranha 3D (2010) ★★★★
Vinyan (2008) ★★★★
The Initiation (1984) ★★★★
Black Swan (2010) ★★★★
Child’s Play 2 (1990) ★★★★
Kill List (2011) ★★★★
New Nightmare (1994) ★★★★
Suspiria (2018) ★★★★
Climax (2018) ★★★★
The Outing (1987) ★★★★
Maximum Overdrive (1986) ★★★★
Sisters (1972) ★★★★
The Loved Ones (2009) ★★★★
Trick ’r Treat (2007) ★★★★
American Psycho (2000) ★★★★
28 Days Later (2002) ★★★★
Tales from the Hood (1995) ★★★★
Martin (1978) ★★★★
The ’Burbs (1989) ★★★★
Annihilation (2018) ★★★★
Overlord (2018) ★★★★
Death Game (1977) ★★★★
The Mephisto Waltz (1971) ★★★★
Bones (2001) ★★★★
Blade II (2002) ★★★★
Halloween (2018) ★★★½
Crawl (2019) ★★★½
High Life (2018) ★★★½
Cheap Thrills (2013) ★★★½
Cape Fear (1991) ★★★½
Bug (1975) ★★★½
Dark Waters (1993) ★★★½
Friday the 13th (1980) ★★★½
The Hitcher (1986) ★★★½
Rogue (2007) ★★★½
Dolls (1987) ★★★½
Ticks (1993) ★★★½
The Beyond (1981) ★★★½
Don’t Breathe (2016) ★★★½
Split Second (1992) ★★★½
Death Ship (1980) ★★★½
The Slumber Party Massacre (1982) ★★★½
The Funhouse (1981) ★★★½
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) ★★★½
Carrie (1976) ★★★½
The Evil Dead (1981) ★★★½
A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985) ★★★½
The Monster Squad (1987) ★★★½
Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973) ★★★½
Terror Train (1980) ★★★½
Tourist Trap (1979) ★★★½
Deep Rising (1998) ★★★½
It (2017) ★★★½
Deathgasm (2015) ★★★½
Wolf Creek (2005) ★★★½
Wolf Creek 2 (2013) ★★★½
The Mist (2007) ★★★½
Gerald’s Game (2017) ★★★½
Blade (1998) ★★★½
Spasms (1983) ★★★½
Demons 2 (1986) ★★★½
Mausoleum (1983) ★★★½
In Fabric (2018) ★★★½
The Host (2006) ★★★½
Bad Dreams (1988) ★★★½
Vampire’s Kiss (1988) ★★★½
The Quiet Earth (1985) ★★★½
Cat People (1982) ★★★½
Madhouse (1981) ★★★½
Grand Piano (2013) ★★★½
Castle Freak (1995) ★★★½
Mom (1991) ★★★½
Cabin Fever (2002) ★★★½
Maniac (2012) ★★★½
Inferno (1980) ★★★½
Pledge Night (1990) ★★★½
Attack the Block (2011) ★★★½
The Boogey Man (1980) ★★★½
Popcorn (1991) ★★★½
The Frighteners (1996) ★★★½
Joy Ride (2001) ★★★½
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) ★★★½
Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016) ★★★½
Brightburn (2019) ★★★½
Slumber Party Massacre II (1987) ★★★½
Evil Dead II (1987) ★★★½
The Ruins (2008) ★★★½
The Dead Don’t Die (2019) ★★★½
Upgrade (2018) ★★★½
May (2002) ★★★½
Lovely Molly (2012) ★★★½
The Crazies (2010) ★★★½
Ganja & Hess (1973) ★★★½
Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979) ★★★½
Class of 1984 (1982) ★★★½
Q (1982) ★★★½
A Blade in the Dark (1983) ★★★½
The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) ★★★½
Session 9 (2001) ★★★½
Lisa (1990) ★★★½
Little Monsters (2019) ★★★½
Haunt (2019) ★★★½
The Strangeness (1985) ★★★½
Knife+Heart (2018) ★★★½
The Banana Splits Movie (2019) ★★★½
Buried (2010) ★★★½
Joshua (2007) ★★★½
The Bad Seed (1956) ★★★½
Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror (2019) ★★★½
Lake Mungo (2008) ★★★½
Child’s Play (2019) ★★★
Ma (2019) ★★★
Alucarda (1977) ★★★
Madman (1981) ★★★
Someone’s Watching Me! (1978) ★★★
The Lift (1983) ★★★
Triangle (2009) ★★★
Funny Games (2007) ★★★
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985) ★★★
The Girl Next Door (2007) ★★★
The Perfection (2018) ★★★
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968) ★★★
The Last House on the Left (2009) ★★★
Starry Eyes (2014) ★★★
Willard (2003) ★★★
Escape Room (2019) ★★★
A Quiet Place (2018) ★★★
Mimic (1997) ★★★
Pumpkinhead (1988) ★★★
Murder Party (2007) ★★★
The Strangers (2008) ★★★
The Strangers: Prey at Night (2018) ★★★
Leprechaun (1993) ★★★
Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) ★★★
The Crazies (1973) ★★★
Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991) ★★★
The Faculty (1998) ★★★
Luz (2018) ★★★
Leprechaun Returns (2018) ★★★
Vampire in Brooklyn (1995) ★★★
Unfriended (2014) ★★★
Cult of Chucky (2017) ★★★
Bride of Chucky (1998) ★★★
Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019) ★★★
Let Me In (2010) ★★★
Happy Death Day 2U (2019) ★★★
Drag Me to Hell (2009) ★★★
Wishmaster (1997) ★★★
Lifeforce (1985) ★★★
Webcast (2018) ★★★
Serial Mom (1994) ★★★
I Drink Your Blood (1970) ★★★
Good Neighbours (2011) ★★★
Roadgames (1981) ★★★
Saw (2004) ★★★
A Return to Salem’s Lot (1987) ★★★
Freddy vs. Jason (2003) ★★★
Creep (2014) ★★★
Dead Birds (2004) ★★★
Fallen (1998) ★★★
Juan of the Dead (2011) ★★★
Life (2017) ★★★
The Orphanage (2007) ★★★
The Collector (2009) ★★★
Hell Fest (2018) ★★★
The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) ★★★
One Cut of the Dead (2017) ★★★
Bordello of Blood (1996) ★★★
The Exorcist III (1990) ★★★
Hider in the House (1989) ★★★
Darlin’ (2019) ★★★
Tales from the Hood 2 (2018) ★★★
Frailty (2001) ★★★
Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) ★★★
Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween (2018) ★★★
The Dead Pit (1989) ★★★
Nightmare Sisters (1988) ★★★
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) ★★★
Fire in the Sky (1993) ★★★
Head Count (2018) ★★★
The Predator (2018) ★★★
What Lies Beneath (2000) ★★★
Mako: The Jaws of Death (1976) ★★★
Pet Sematary (1989) ★★½
One Dark Night (1982) ★★½
Among the Living (2014) ★★½
Friday the 13th Part III (1982) ★★½
Child’s Play 3 (1991) ★★½
Cujo (1983) ★★½
Satanic Panic (2019) ★★½
The Wind (2018) ★★½
Friday the 13th (2009) ★★½
Downrange (2017) ★★½
C.H.U.D. (1984) ★★½
Evil Toons (1992) ★★½
Cannibal Ferox (1981) ★★½
Halloween II (2009) ★★½
Leprechaun 3 (1995) ★★½
Leprechaun 2 (1994) ★★½
Thinner (1996) ★★½
Scanner Cop (1994) ★★½
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever v2009) ★★½
Fear (1996) ★★½
Creep 2 (2017) ★★½
The Clovehitch Killer (2018) ★★½
The Craft (1996) ★★½
Cursed (2005) ★★½
In the Tall Grass (2019) ★★½
Pulse (1988) ★★½
Nightwish (1989) ★★½
The Purge (2013) ★★½
Fatal Games (1984) ★★½
Dracula (1931) ★★½
Die! Die! My Darling! (1965) ★★½
Jaws 2 (1978) ★★½
Tragedy Girls (2017) ★★½
Curse of Chucky (2013) ★★½
Critters (1986) ★★½
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988) ★★½
House (1986) ★★½
28 Weeks Later (2007) ★★½
Effects (1980) ★★½
3 from Hell (2019) ★★½
The Night Stalker (1972) ★★½
Jaws: The Revenge (1987) ★★½
Glass (2019) ★★½
Velvet Buzzsaw (2019) ★★½
The Visit (2015) ★★½
Scary Movie (2000) ★★½
Jason X (2001) ★★
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988) ★★
Creature (1985) ★★
Knock Knock (2015) ★★
Monkey Shines (1988) ★★
P2 (2007) ★★
Monster Party (2018) ★★
My Bloody Valentine (2009) ★★
Jack Frost (1997) ★★
The Intruder (2019) ★★
Let Us Prey (2014) ★★
The Blair Witch Project (1999) ★★
Body Count (1986) ★★
Contamination (1980) ★★
Jigsaw (2017) ★★
Saw II (2005) ★★
Saw IV (2007) ★★
Saw 3D (2010) ★★
Ghost Ship (2002) ★★
Death Warmed Up (1985) ★★
Disturbing Behavior (1998) ★★
Blade: Trinity (2004) ★★
Blue Blood (1973) ★★
Party Hard, Die Young (2018) ★★
13 Ghosts (1960) ★★
The Happening (2008) ★★
Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II (2015) ★★
Ruin Me (2017) ★★
Pledge (2018) ★★
Dead Ant (2017) ★★
Zombie High (1987) ★★
Sorority Row (2009) ★★
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998) ★½
An American Werewolf in Paris (1997) ★½
Ouija (2014) ★½
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993) ★½
Braid (2018) ★½
Seed of Chucky (2004) ★½
Pet Sematary (2019) ★½
Hard Candy (2005) ★½
The Unseen (1980) ★½
Leprechaun 4: In Space (1996) ★½
The Dentist (1996) ★½
Scanners: The Showdown (1995) ★½
Needful Things (1993) ★½
Saw VI (2009) ★½
Thriller (2018) ★½
The Descent: Part 2 (2009) ★½
Jaws 3-D (1983) ★½
Mockingbird (2014) ★½
Cooties (2014) ★½
Zombie Tidal Wave (2019) ★½
Open Water (2003) ★½
Hell Night (1981) ★½
Bone Daddy (1998) ★½
Curve (2015) ★½
ATM (2012) ★½
Stay Alive (2006) ★½
Haunters: The Art of the Scare (2017) ★½
4/20 Massacre (2018) ★½
The Hole in the Ground (2019) ★½
Stir of Echoes: The Homecoming (2007) ★½
10x10 (2018) ★½
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) ★
A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (1989) ★
The Hazing (2004) ★
Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood (2003) ★
Leprechaun: Origins (2014) ★
Open Windows (2014) ★
The Dark Tower (2017) ★
Saw V (2008) ★
The Last Showing (2014) ★
Vacancy 2: The First Cut (2008) ★
Aliens vs Predator: Requiem (2007) ★
Flight of the Living Dead (2007) ★
Apollo 18 (2011) ★
The Silence (2019) ★
Jacob’s Ladder (2019) ★
Dead Water (2019) ½
Living Space (2018) ½
I’ll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006) ½
The Haunting of Sharon Tate (2019) ½
Saw III (2006) ½
The Scarehouse (2014) ½

this mf watch goosebumps 2

palmer eldritch

Postby smelts » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:22 pm

1. Mystics Of Bali
2. A Nightmare On Elm Steet
3. A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge
4. Luz
5. The Horror Of Dracula
6. Blood Rage
7. Society
8. A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
9. Rabid
10. The Toxic Avenger
11. Rabid (2019)
12. Black Sabbath
13. A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
14. A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
15. Little Monsters (2019)
16. The Resurrected
17. A Bucket Of Blood
18. Freakshow
19. Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare
20. The Phantom Of The Opera (1989)
21. Curse Of Chucky
22. Cult Of Chucky
23. Wes Craven’s New Nightmare
24. Midsommar
25. Gremlins 2: The New Batch
26. Kwaidan
27. Who Can Kill A Child?
28. Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark
29. The Willies
30. Freddy Vs Jason
31. Pumpkinhead
32. Child’s Play (2019);

Notes:

-Mystics Of Bali was a weird as hell way to start Spooktober

-I'd forgotten how much I loved Rabid. I hadn't seen it in probably about 10 years, but man what a great, unrelenting movie. Rabid 2019 on the other hand was a total fucking mess. Such a weird blender of ideas picked out of other movies and just kind of shoved in there with seemingly little rhyme or reason. Like it held my attention throughout, so cool on that, and there's some pretty fun/horrific gore stuff, but it is very much the kind of movie that you're watching thinking "why do you exist?". Also, CM Punk both does not star in this movie and is very bad at the bit part he has

-Did all 32 with the girlfriend this year, so it was fun getting to do some classic rewatches. I'm finding these days rewatches of stuff you liked 5-10 years ago can be a pretty rough/anxiety ridden experience as there are definitely some stuff I remember liking way back when that don't hold up or just have super wtf stuff in them that's uncomfortable on levels that I didn't understand at the time but are super glaring now. Was really glad that Society and The Willies both still hold up and are alot of fun, for obviously very different reasons

-First time watching Midsommar, I didn't really enjoy Hereditary and went into this one with low expectations, echoing I think someone else's recent comments on the board, I for some reason think I was expecting it to be like an Eli Roth senseless gore kind of mess for some reason? But yeah, I absolutely fucking loved this! Felt alot of the same things I felt watching Wicker Man for the first time earlier this year, which yeah obviously there's alot of that, but yeah, feel good movie of the year, just a real time!

-Had alot of fun re-watching the Nightmare series. I hadn't seen 3-6 since I was a teenager, and even the worst of those was still pretty fun. A really weird/fun addition to watching this series during Spooktober was that we also ended up watching Robert Englund in the 1989 Phantom Of The Opera, which was like by no means a great movie, but it was alot grosser and gorier than I would have imagined in some really fun ways, and kind of felt like I was picking up a DC Elseworld comic about Freddy Kruger. Definitely not for everyone, but I thought it was a really fun addition to the overall ANOES watch through

-Huge Child's Play fan over here, was pretty mortified that they were rebooting it without Mancini and Douriff, but I guess basically just echoing I think most people's view on it that it was actually a pretty fun movie, but it sucks and feels weird to have a movie that's basically like a sci-fi AI horror wearing one of my favorite franchise's identity as a mask

-Big thanks to the board for recommending A Bucket Of Blood, Blood Rage and Freakshow, these were a hoot!

smelts

Postby dreamshake » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:27 pm

has anyone watched pilgrim yet? i haven't seen any other into the dark episodes but this was pretty solid. i really dug how gonzo this thing got at the end, just such a weird mix of tones that didn't really work but worked for me if that makes sense. i was pretty gleeful when the gospell music kicked in during the dinner scene when that dad's head was presented on a platterToggle Spoiler

any recs for other into the dark eps?
hologram ride the whip

dreamshake

Postby Canadian Todd (for Canadians) » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:24 am

P late to the game and did action movie september throughout october. i'm horror deprived.

just watched Bliss. This is probably one of the best horror movies i've seen in a while. there's the obvious comparisons to gaspar noe and especially climax, and it's a lot of noe by way of the addition/able ferrara. thsi was gentrified trendy punk/hipster areas but made to look like grainy, dirty new york due to shooting in grainy 16mm and being done mostly at night for the exteriors (almost getting a jarmusch look). the plot also has similarities to the devil's candy (evil painting made outside of the agency of the artist; possession being the artistic force that lulls stalled painters out of artistic blocks). and both ethan embry in devil's candy and the awesome actress playing dezzy in bliss get caked in a mixture of paint and blood at various point (along with the metal aesthetic and music permeating them). but devil's candy is just a tightly scripted thing, whereas bliss is a fucking movie.

i'd seen joe begos's almost human and thought it was p ifc midnightxcore - a middling low-budget, 80s vhs cover turned into a feature with some dece ideas that never really coalesce into something. bliss is equally kinda messy regarding what it's about. there's possession as a metaphor for the artistic impulse. there's vampire trope as a genre means of communicating addition (y'know, like ferrara's the addiction and fassenden's habit - each taking place in low-life looking areas of trendy, gentrifying new york and both being dropped into an artistic hedonist existence for their protagonists). there's also the loosely circled pieces of those who prey on artists (most of them men). all of these are loosely sketched. but the style and look and the way you get into the disorienting pov of dezzy shows a real voice and a real look; begos is making a movie about something, even if it doesn't fully cohere.

i like the way the camera operates here. when dezzy gets rejuvinated by blood/super-coke, we get body cam shots that create the illusion that she's rising up quickly and floating. when she's writhing in club toilets, we also get the body cam which, coupled with the black-out replicating strobing cam and occasional whispering voice overs that may or may not be in her head, create an immersiveness that is immensely jarring and feels like enter the void (and, going back further, angst). it's really effective. It looks great. the music is great. the way she contorts her body - going all in with intensity and replicating the famous adjani body spasm freakout scene in possession - in different ways to either visually signify vulnerability and confusion when in the throes of the drug/blood craze or intense strength when in the blood-fugue is so disquieting. a lot of her acting is physical.

it's a really affecting flick.
As a reader of historical naval fiction,

https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy

Canadian Todd (for Canadians)

Postby futurist » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:37 pm

i love nick millard.

this was some broke straight boys softcore shit. so i liked it.

futurist

Postby futurist » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:51 pm

wow who's excited for wrong turn 7

futurist

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:00 am

Oh dang, I’m falling behind. Still gotta watch Wrong Turn 6 apparently.

jalapeño ranch

Postby futurist » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:14 pm

In Fabric was really good. great editing, great score.

Grave Encounters was good post-millenium blair witching. had fun.

obviously i'm being very productive with my unemployment.

futurist

Postby aububs » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:54 pm

peter strickland might be my favourite working filmmaker

so excited to see whatever he does next
no buddy not really

aububs

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....