thanks
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby futurist » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:13 am

runaway nightmare is up

futurist

Postby aububs » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:57 am

cool, watching that tonite

can't remember what brought it to my attention but I've had it on a list for years
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby emotional fascism » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:57 am

I bought a bunch of Vinegar Syndrome movies earlier this year and had that in my cart before I decided to cut back. It definitely came on my radar from them though.

emotional fascism

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:32 am

Nice! Will definitely grab that, I've fallen behind on horror movies the last few months because I've run out of movies I actually want to watch.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:

jalapeño ranch

Postby aububs » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm

i remembered! i read about Runaway Nightmare in that Bleeding Skull book
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby aububs » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:52 pm

woah runaway nightmare is definitely tuned to its own frequency. it's probably a perfect movie in that if you changed anything about it, it would lose it's singular vibe. "doris wishman makes faster pussy cat kil kill" is p good shorthand for describing it, wherever i read that nailed it. it's also like an anna biller movie with severe head trauma. or that's just woken up, dazed, from a coma. or Sisters of Death remade by a bot. the bleeding skull review says that it's a really bad movie and, sure, i see that, but it also mentions in passing that it can be seen as a commentary on women in 80s horror - i think that's 100% true. it's beside the point if that's accidental or not. it has random vampires and the ending rips off Kiss Me Deadly. pure magic.

astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby Ersaph » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:02 pm

aububs wrote:woah runaway nightmare is definitely tuned to its own frequency. it's probably a perfect movie in that if you changed anything about it, it would lose it's singular vibe. "doris wishman makes faster pussy cat kil kill" is p good shorthand for describing it, wherever i read that nailed it. it's also like an anna biller movie with severe head trauma. or that's just woken up, dazed, from a coma. or Sisters of Death remade by a bot. the bleeding skull review says that it's a really bad movie and, sure, i see that, but it also mentions in passing that it can be seen as a commentary on women in 80s horror - i think that's 100% true. it's beside the point if that's accidental or not. it has random vampires and the ending rips off Kiss Me Deadly. pure magic.

Ooh - can this be uploaded to the DB?
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.

Ersaph

Postby aububs » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:10 pm

futurist put it there already!
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby aububs » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:53 pm

rewatched What Have They Done to Your Daughters? this afternoon in work. it was quiet and i found it on the internet movie archive. i was about 15 minutes into a cool paul naschy werewolf movie but switched over when i found this. definitely one of my favourite giallos even if it's barely a giallo. it's made by a guy who did cinematography for leone and you can tell. just a beautifully shot movie. soundtrack is also incredible

astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby Robo-Chachi » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:29 pm

Damnit. This was one of the few rays of hope I had left for this shitty year.

Robo-Chachi

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:47 pm

Does a Halloween movie really need to be released in IMAX?

jalapeño ranch

Postby shacky » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:28 am

that's a shame, i hope they really do make use of the extra year, because the best parts of the last one were super fun, but the podcast stuff and a few other nigglescouldve been tightened and cleaned up. id totally see this in imax tho.

in other news, 'relic' is getting real good reviews, prob gonna check that out this weekend

shacky

Postby CudNylon » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:32 pm

added The Beach House to the place

edit: why do I keep watching body horror when I know how sick it makes me?

CudNylon

Postby emotional fascism » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:32 am

Relic was an OK way to spend 90 minutes on a Saturday night. Overtly obvious metaphor, but I really dug the House of Leaves-esque ending.

emotional fascism

Postby shacky » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:40 am

emotional fascism wrote:Relic was an OK way to spend 90 minutes on a Saturday night. Overtly obvious metaphor, but I really dug the House of Leaves-esque ending.

i didn't know this was a melburnian production going in so my main takeaway is that it's really weird to see your own city in a movie i dunno how u guys do it all the time

shacky

Postby manvstrees » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:43 am

aububs wrote:rewatched What Have They Done to Your Daughters? this afternoon in work. it was quiet and i found it on the internet movie archive. i was about 15 minutes into a cool paul naschy werewolf movie but switched over when i found this. definitely one of my favourite giallos even if it's barely a giallo. it's made by a guy who did cinematography for leone and you can tell. just a beautifully shot movie. soundtrack is also incredible

sold on this one if someone can toss it in
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.

manvstrees

Postby shacky » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:26 am

shacky wrote:
emotional fascism wrote:Relic was an OK way to spend 90 minutes on a Saturday night. Overtly obvious metaphor, but I really dug the House of Leaves-esque ending.

i didn't know this was a melburnian production going in so my main takeaway is that it's really weird to see your own city in a movie i dunno how u guys do it all the time

also did you get the impression that the very end was an pretty explicit homage to return of the jediToggle Spoiler or is that just me lol

shacky

Postby aububs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:54 pm

manvstrees i don't have it for the place but if nobody else does, i watched it here, a p nice copy: https://archive.org/details/What.have.they.done.to

along the same lines the other day i watched Le Orme (aka Footprints on the Moon) which is one i hadn't seen before and had put off for a long time. it was so good. not what i expected at all. it's made by luigi bazzoni who did The Fifth Cord which truly is one of the most beautifully shot giallos. the cinematography in Le Orme (as well as The Fifth Cord) is by vittorio storaro, a few years after he helped blow everybodys' mind with The Conformist. it's a stunning movie to just look at. but it isn't a giallo, it's more an amnesia/woman in peril psychological drama and it's p gripping for the duration. florinda bolkan is excellent in the lead role. you'll recognise her from some of those earlier fulci movies. it also features klaus kinski getting paid for doing nothing for about 20 seconds. extremely great move tho. i'll watch it again.

astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby shacky » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:08 pm

id forgotten about le orme like a bad dream, i stumbled onto it when i was on a storaro kick years ago, it's a seriously beautiful fucked up movie. proto-lynchian, even!

'footprints on the moon' is a much better title i think too, it's a really haunting phrase in context

shacky

Postby aububs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:00 pm

absolutely 100% proto-lynchian, yeah
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby futurist » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:47 pm

accidentally found this while drunk the other night and i can't stop laughing

futurist

Postby Parson Floogle » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:07 am

is the beach house any good?

Parson Floogle

Postby shacky » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:51 pm

Parson Floogle wrote:is the beach house any good?

i liked it, mumblecore lovecraft, some cool subtle practical fx and gnarly body horror, probly helps to be stoned

shacky

Postby futurist » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:57 pm

lmao who the fuck would watch Camp Blood: The Musical.

i downloaded it.

futurist

Postby jalapeño ranch » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:21 pm

I remember watching the first one way back in the day. There are now 11 of them?!

jalapeño ranch

Postby futurist » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:33 pm

and i think the newest one is my favorite. but how can one really gauge...

futurist

Postby i am rich » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:08 pm

relic was pretty good
it totally got me thematically too. getting old sux

i am rich

Postby smelts » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:22 pm

Probably a stretch, but is there any chance anybody might have In The Company Of Wolves they could throw in the place? Or even like a half decent streaming link?

It's the gf's birthday today and she was pretty stoked to try and watch it tonight but I'm coming up with zero from my usual haunts

smelts

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....