Unsolved Mysteries, mk. 2

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby marble » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:13 pm

definite bad energy in that bodycam video

marble

Postby warmjets » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:19 pm

idk how any of this works but how was she not reported missing until sept 11th? nearly two weeks after anyone had contact with her and 10 days after her boyfriend came home alone in her van

warmjets

Postby warmjets » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:20 pm

the very first day she didnt post an instagram story someone should have reported her missing

warmjets

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:46 pm

warmjets wrote:idk how any of this works but how was she not reported missing until sept 11th? nearly two weeks after anyone had contact with her and 10 days after her boyfriend came home alone in her van

From the sound of it his parents and him wouldn't answer any calls or texts from her parents, who didn't know that he had returned home until several days after the fact.

The detectives on this case sound like the dumbest people alive if they weren't keeping close enough tabs on him to realize he'd been missing for three days

Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby wendy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:36 am

If it turns out he “just” abandoned her and she died from the elements what kind of charges would he be facing? I keep working myself up by imagining him facing no or minimal jail time in this scenario

I hate him a lot!

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:45 am

As a rule I don’t empathize with cops and I was really unhappy with how they handled the domestic violence call but I can’t imagine how they feel right now knowing if they’d handled it differently (best case: identifying the dynamic of Brian as the abuser and Gabby as gaslit and the abused; or even worst case: taking her in) she’d still be alive

This is one of a trillion reasons why social workers need to be dispatched for for these types of calls

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:49 am

Tired: dispatching cops to DV calls

Wired: dispatching social workers to DV calls

Inspired: giving social workers guns

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:49 am

Look at me, I invented cops

wendy

Postby scurrydog » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:16 pm

wendy wrote:If it turns out he “just” abandoned her and she died from the elements what kind of charges would he be facing? I keep working myself up by imagining him facing no or minimal jail time in this scenario

I hate him a lot!

The worst case scenario is that he killed her, but she was then eaten by bears. Then he just claims that there was a bear attack and he ran away in fear.
love you guys!

scurrydog
ok

Postby The Priest » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:17 pm

in that case I believe the bear goes to prison according to florida law
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby clouds » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:19 pm

it'll be ruled homicide. if found, his defense will be "prove beyond a reasonable doubt it was brian who did it" but I'm sure he left some kind of evidence

worst case scenario is he's never found

clouds

Postby clouds » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:34 pm

wendy wrote:As a rule I don’t empathize with cops and I was really unhappy with how they handled the domestic violence call but I can’t imagine how they feel right now knowing if they’d handled it differently (best case: identifying the dynamic of Brian as the abuser and Gabby as gaslit and the abused; or even worst case: taking her in) she’d still be alive

This is one of a trillion reasons why social workers need to be dispatched for for these types of calls

yeah social workers would be ideal. I didn't think it was as bad as it could have been (them arresting gabby, which sadly with current laws & police training is the only other way I could see it going with the marks on his face and her being the only one to admit hitting the other)

that situation was 100% reactive abuse and it's easy to see thats how he had control over her. bully, belittle, abuse and when the victim finally breaks call them crazy and accuse them of the behaviors *you* exhibit.

her blaming the whole situation on herself while he calmly implies she's crazy :cry:

that footage was so hard to watch. I'll never watch it again.

clouds

Postby Honk For Dracula » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:43 pm

clouds wrote:
wendy wrote:As a rule I don’t empathize with cops and I was really unhappy with how they handled the domestic violence call but I can’t imagine how they feel right now knowing if they’d handled it differently (best case: identifying the dynamic of Brian as the abuser and Gabby as gaslit and the abused; or even worst case: taking her in) she’d still be alive

yeah social workers would be ideal. I didn't think it was as bad as it could have been (them arresting gabby, which sadly with current laws & police training is the only other way I could see it going with the marks on his face and her being the only one to admit hitting the other)

that situation was 100% reactive abuse and it's easy to see thats how he had control over her. bully, belittle, abuse and when the victim finally breaks call them crazy and accuse them of the behaviors *you* exhibit.

her blaming the whole situation on herself while he calmly implies she's crazy :cry:

that footage was so hard to watch. I'll never watch it again.

i really do think this guy killed the other couple

Honk For Dracula

Postby clouds » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Social workers talking to her for more than 1 hr on the side of the road and providing real tangible options for her to leave would have been the only hope

maybe one day

the options to escape domestic violence are so few and hard to access. add living in a car 1000s of miles from home and it's a nightmare. I think even if they arrested him he'd still have been back with her and still kill her

clouds

Postby snuggle » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:57 pm

https://www.insider.com/gabby-petito-bo ... yer-2021-9
Lawyer confirms body found is G Petito

snuggle

Postby maraschino cherry » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:12 pm

marble wrote:definite bad energy in that bodycam video

absolutely. quick explainy “sorry about that officer really” super fake sounding excuses is like a dead ringer for my friends abusive ex

same chris watts type energy. these white guys that abuse/kill their gf/wife and then immediately get all bro-y with the cops is enough to make me scream

“oh these scratches on my face? yknow she had the phone and i reached over yeah so then my keys and i was just trying to keep it calm sir”

maraschino cherry

Postby maraschino cherry » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:14 pm

girlfriend: “… yknow it’s just been a bad morning. hard start to the day, it’s been a bad one.”

boyfriend 3 minutes later: “we’ve had a really nice morning”

maraschino cherry

Postby The Priest » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:27 pm

Yeah i remember when watts' neighbor was like "uhhh officer somethings definitely up with him he doesn't act like that" and the cops like "dude he's going through some shit bro"
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby Tai-Pan » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:38 pm

seems like a lot of people (not here, just "online") are being sympathetic to the cops for being "nice" while acknowledging they missed some red flags... and then i watched the 911 call for the report of DV where they stated they saw laundry bag slapping gabby multiple times. if they had that information, then i can't really be too sympathetic to the narrative of 'the cops were so nice and he just duped them + they dont know DV signals!".
Tai-Pan

Postby clouds » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:40 pm

maraschino cherry wrote:girlfriend: “… yknow it’s just been a bad morning. hard start to the day, it’s been a bad one.”

boyfriend 3 minutes later: “we’ve had a really nice morning”

yeah this one stood out

like she's trying to honestly explain how she feels and why she's acting that way (as honest as she can be while protecting him)

and he's trying to explain how his abuse that led to the 911 call is her fault/no big deal

clouds

Postby maraschino cherry » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:44 pm

Joker wrote:Yeah i remember when watts' neighbor was like "uhhh officer somethings definitely up with him he doesn't act like that" and the cops like "dude he's going through some shit bro"

😤

maraschino cherry

Postby clouds » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Tai-Pan wrote:seems like a lot of people (not here, just "online") are being sympathetic to the cops for being "nice" while acknowledging they missed some red flags... and then i watched the 911 call for the report of DV where they stated they saw laundry bag slapping gabby multiple times. if they had that information, then i can't really be too sympathetic to the narrative of 'the cops were so nice and he just duped them + they dont know DV signals!".

yeah I've just had experience with cops handling domestics so poorly my standards are really low. not giving her a criminal record and not cuffing anyone and telling them to shut the fuck up is an A+ under our current system to me

if they did anything more they would have arrested her probably, since he had marks on him and she admitted to hitting him and said he didn't hit her (I don't believe this, she was fearful of him) which is why we desperately need someone besides cops to show up to most domestics

In many towns she'd be in jail overnight, he'd pick her up and be pissed and still kill her. we need other resources besides "well figure it out or 1 of ya is a goin ta jail by god"

clouds

Postby Tai-Pan » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:51 pm

yeah agreed 100%. the fact that social and crisis workers are a fluke in most PD's is just unreal...

also, i get the chris watts analogy, but he was literally plotting to kill her and the kids for a while. laundry almost certainly killed her impulsively and maybe even as a violent attack gone bad. i would highly doubt it was pre-meditated.
Tai-Pan

Postby clouds » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:53 pm

had a great situation tonight where I was flagged down in the street by a crying woman saying she was in a fight with her bf.

I was like are you ok what can I do? and all she wanted was me to drive her to their apartment several miles up this main route or until we saw him coming because he's on his way to get her? I guess he left her there? it took me a long time to tell me where she wanted to go. she was just saying "up north"

I was like no, this dude sounds scary, literally not running in to him with you in the car can I do anything else?

anyways she says no and I'm like I wish I could call someone besides a cop that would come quickly before she was gone

kinda been bumming me out I couldn't be more helpful but I has a bad read on the whole thing. and I'm a person who gives rides to sketchy strangers

clouds

Postby animefilm » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:56 pm

(Reposting in this thread because the other one doesn't seem to have any discussion)

The whole van life aesthetic and persona they cultivated online makes this more strange. In the bodycam footage of the dispute, the boyfriend wouldn't even drink out of a plastic bottle because of his environmentalist lifestyle. Though there are precedents like the Manson murders, where being a hippie doesn't exempt you from being capable of murder, the events are jarring. It's not 1:1 with hippie aesthetics, but their instagram-able influencer brand of travel/ positivity.

Redditors were speculating about her Spotify music playlist named "Mtn Tops" being updated during his drive home, which had artists like Khruangbin, Mac Demarco, Bon Iver, Alex G / Oneohtrix Point Never. It's a very algorithm fed aesthetic, that's hitting all the touchpoints of a stereotype but perfectly inoffensive like an Obama yearly playlist.

Maybe because their brand is wholesome and smoothed over, it's hard to picture a dark reality behind the scenes.

There is definitely something ominous about the discrepancies in her instagram posting style, and the speculations that her bf was posting on her account to cover his tracks.

animefilm

Postby clouds » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:58 pm

like I have 2 or 3 basic questions and if you can answer them with anything that makes sense to me, hop in. this one didn't parse and her crying seemed...off. regardless it was above my paygrade to solve it :(

clouds

Postby maraschino cherry » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:17 am

Tai-Pan wrote:yeah agreed 100%. the fact that social and crisis workers are a fluke in most PD's is just unreal...

also, i get the chris watts analogy, but he was literally plotting to kill her and the kids for a while. laundry almost certainly killed her impulsively and maybe even as a violent attack gone bad. i would highly doubt it was pre-meditated.

chris watts confession was essentially that he woke up that morning with it made up in his mind that he was gonna do it and he’s still not really sure why he didn’t just stop. i don’t know that an abusive boyfriend with defensive wounds on his face, which is generally the result of a restrained person trying to make their attacker let go of them, like a week before he murdered his girlfriend feels very different to me

maraschino cherry

Postby Ron » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:26 am

“Violent attack gone bad” is a very odd phrase.

Ron

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:06 am

clouds wrote:had a great situation tonight where I was flagged down in the street by a crying woman saying she was in a fight with her bf.

I was like are you ok what can I do? and all she wanted was me to drive her to their apartment several miles up this main route or until we saw him coming because he's on his way to get her? I guess he left her there? it took me a long time to tell me where she wanted to go. she was just saying "up north"

I was like no, this dude sounds scary, literally not running in to him with you in the car can I do anything else?

anyways she says no and I'm like I wish I could call someone besides a cop that would come quickly before she was gone

kinda been bumming me out I couldn't be more helpful but I has a bad read on the whole thing. and I'm a person who gives rides to sketchy strangers

A few months ago I passed a couple on 14th street in DC and this fratty meathead bro was like chasing her and screaming manically in her ear and she was crying and I thought about saying something but I was alone and he was much bigger than me, and I was honestly afraid. So I stopped what I was doing and pulled out my phone and pretended to look at it while watching them out of the corner of my eye. Eventually their argument calmed down or at least he stopped berating her and then they went back into a restaurant together. In the interim a couple hundred people passed by and didn’t say anything presumably because of the same reasons I had. I just keep thinking if he’s like that in public…I don’t know what I could’ve done differently, but I definitely feel like I let her down. Do you call the police in that scenario? I don’t like cops, and don’t know that they would have helped, he might have held it together like this guy and then punished her later for it; but at the same time it would have felt like at least I’ve done what I can to get someone aware of the situation. It’s super fucked.
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored

Self Destructive Zone

Postby window » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:32 am

extremely unlikely that dropping a social worker into that scenario would've changed anything

window

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley