THE BEST SHOW with TOM SCHARPLING

'Cause I've been postin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

Postby goofjan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:08 am

Last week's ep had a lot of Phish talk with Scott Rogowsky. There should be some follow up to it this week because Tom said he'd listen to Scott's recommendations and then review them this week.

I liked hearing Mike again but it was super awkward at the end when Tom gave him a chance to say something about his comments last summer and he totally didn't.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby uncledoj » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:13 am

jewels wrote:was Tom talking about Phish?

he was on episode #8 of Analyze Phish, "Who's Got My Goo Balls?"

He just read a book about them, and was trying to have Scott Rogowsky to try get him into their music. That Analyze Phish episode is one of the best podcasts ever, I still relisten to it every now and then

Really hope Tom has Griffin Newman on the show sometime, that would be a great dynamic

uncledoj

Postby jewels » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:31 am

cool, i haven't heard an episode in a while for whatever reason, and that's a good excuse to listen.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:32 am

uncledoj wrote:
jewels wrote:was Tom talking about Phish?

he was on episode #8 of Analyze Phish, "Who's Got My Goo Balls?"

He just read a book about them, and was trying to have Scott Rogowsky to try get him into their music. That Analyze Phish episode is one of the best podcasts ever, I still relisten to it every now and then

Really hope Tom has Griffin Newman on the show sometime, that would be a great dynamic

He and Ben were on a while back, I wanna think early 2018? Maybe 2017. It was definitely worlds colliding.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:36 am

I remember some regulars from the Blank Check thread tuning in and being like "man that Scharpling sure is a grouch, huh" :lol:

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:36 am

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby uncledoj » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:39 am

Feech La Manna wrote:Here's the episode

http://thebestshow.net/episode/i-love-i ... r-omalley/

Woah don't know how I missed that - thanks!

uncledoj

Postby lostinthemall » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:22 pm

Page Hamilton of Phish

Slash Gordon

"Black Flag is a rock group led by a manipulative cult leader, who practices guitar 8 hours a day, played 2 shows a night for years, but somehow only got worse at his instrument?"
Anonymous said... lostinthemall is my nicca luv the virgin pron freak numetal never been kissed angsty teen angle this dude stays on point and has been killin it since day one

lostinthemall

Postby joeylevels » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:44 pm

"Tappin' that ass and showing no class as we do it behind this old church"

"Oh that's a weird lyric"

I lol'ed.

joeylevels

Postby Render » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:43 pm

Got my sticker today

Render

Postby church mouse » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:44 pm

A long time ago there was a clip on a sound collage of a guy talking about Neil Young’s After the Gold Rush, specifically the line about a silver spaceship in the sky. He was talking about aliens or maybe something about Neil being abducted by aliens. I can’t remember. It almost sounded like a clip from a call in radio show. Anyone know what that is or the episode it was from? I can’t remember how many years ago this was but I’d say it’s been since the new iteration.

church mouse

Postby joeylevels » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:49 pm

6/21/05
Spike opens up ever so slightly beyond just yelling "Where's Sexy Sadie?" It's not much more than that, but it's a little.
Steinberg calls like 4 times and begins to turn around the relationship with Tom, who up to this point has pretty much treated him as a Goshen level troll. He goes through a full rap and Tom gives him props.

joeylevels

Postby joeylevels » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:14 pm

Soooo Wurster dropped an f bomb last night eh? :D

joeylevels

Postby conductor » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:57 am

hahaha came in to post that

conductor

Postby joeylevels » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:53 am

Mostly talking to myself in here now I realize, but I'm really happy to have "Meet my friends the friends" back.
Brown note sponsor copy was especially a treat.

joeylevels

Postby uncledoj » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:42 pm

Hey does anyone know which show had the first clips of Tom listening to the Pavarotti version of Perfect Day? Really want to listen to it and I can only find the version with Tom singing it on youtube

uncledoj

Postby Skerple » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:42 pm

uncledoj wrote:Hey does anyone know which show had the first clips of Tom listening to the Pavarotti version of Perfect Day? Really want to listen to it and I can only find the version with Tom singing it on youtube

oh god this was good
Not Recommended
The Development team made one crucial error. They entered into the game an automatic sentry gun called a "Puckle."

Skerple

Postby transmaniacon » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:05 pm

pretty sure that was the tommy stinson no-show episode?

transmaniacon

Postby uncledoj » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:01 pm

transmaniacon wrote:pretty sure that was the tommy stinson no-show episode?

Yeah he ends the show singing it along with Pavarotti on that episode - and it's great! - but I remember he actually played the original audio on an earlier episode and just totally loses it as he hears it for the first time..

uncledoj

Postby conductor » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:15 pm

joeylevels wrote:Soooo Wurster dropped an f bomb last night eh? :D

what is HAPPENING???

conductor

Postby joeylevels » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:53 pm

conductor wrote:
joeylevels wrote:Soooo Wurster dropped an f bomb last night eh? :D

what is HAPPENING???

lol... the new freedom

joeylevels

Postby realhighwaypatrol » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:57 am

this show is dead. tom is too nice to the dumb callers. shame on everyone.

realhighwaypatrol

Postby realhighwaypatrol » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:59 am

at least once a week tom spends too much time on the phone with a fucking idiot because he doesn't want to hurt his brand by hanging up on him.

tom is too scared to be himself.

KEEP SHOOTING FOR THAT LA WRITING JOB

KEEP PLAYING THE NICE BOY

realhighwaypatrol

Postby mybeardhurts » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:55 pm

he was ragging on Fargo pretty good

mybeardhurts

Postby gordie blue eyes » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:05 pm

realhighwaypatrol wrote:this show is dead. tom is too nice to the dumb callers. shame on everyone.

predicted this a while back and sadly agree. i still love tom and hope all of his dreams come true but this really isn't the best show anymore
gordie blue eyes
Reclining in the sky on a cloud with silver lining

Postby gordie blue eyes » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:11 pm

a big part of the appeal of the show for me was listening to him turning on a dope of a caller the moment they slip up or before they even get a chance to slip up

now he spends 25 minutes on the phone with a guy who just laughs maniacally the whole time and at the end says "you are the greatest caller in the history of the show"
gordie blue eyes

Postby Feech La Manna » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:12 pm

I still enjoy it but I definitely miss Bad Company and the Heave Ho

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby gordie blue eyes » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:13 pm

on a positive note the latest episode of meet my friends the friends was super funny. i think they are onto something with this latest batch
gordie blue eyes

Postby Skerple » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:14 pm

realhighwaypatrol wrote:at least once a week tom spends too much time on the phone with a fucking idiot because he doesn't want to hurt his brand by hanging up on him.

tom is too scared to be himself.

KEEP SHOOTING FOR THAT LA WRITING JOB

KEEP PLAYING THE NICE BOY

i mean he does have the LA writing job and all that, and has always been doing tv writing

at the same time i do find it a huge bummer that he's embracing the LA stuff and podcasty stuff to this extent.

i will always love him for his funniness but i used to love him for more than that and saw him as a beacon of something real. like an outsider standing apart from the bullshit doing what they love and being great at it and confident in it. to me that's like the pinnacle of achievement.

of course he did that for decades and he should do what makes him happy now, nobody should expect him to be like, a totem for some "be yourself!" type of message

but the old cris de coeur ring hollow now
Not Recommended
The Development team made one crucial error. They entered into the game an automatic sentry gun called a "Puckle."

Skerple

Postby Skerple » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:20 pm

like what i saw in the past as valid criticism (and criticism that buoyed me up because, fuck, at least someone gets it) i now see more as jealousy-tinged protesting too much

it's also a bummer because the thing tom is great at IS the best show. nothing he does in tv will ever come close to being as good.
Not Recommended

Skerple

PreviousNext

Return to Poster's Paradise