LONDON THREAD

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Gussie Fink-Nottle » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:30 am

Holy shit, the max temperatures for Monday and Tuesday just keep climbing when I check the forecast. Where can I avoid this heat? I'm not working next week and was planning to go to some museums, so hopefully they'll be cool. I guess I can sit in the shade in the park but I don't want to do that all day. My flat will be like an oven though.
It is mating season for the pterosaurs, and this well-endowed male wants YOU to fly with him.

Gussie Fink-Nottle

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:37 pm

what are the good jazz clubs/venues in the city? gonna be here 2-6 or 2-7 of august
delgriffith wrote:Quick Google search reveals that I have no idea what I'm talking about.
saranclaps ultra mode 9000

Postby Kenny » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:57 pm

Ronnie Scott's is the established place, and despite the name sounding ridiculous they put some good shows on at Pizza Express's Jazz venues
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby screw » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:56 am

Gussie Fink-Nottle wrote:Holy shit, the max temperatures for Monday and Tuesday just keep climbing when I check the forecast. Where can I avoid this heat? I'm not working next week and was planning to go to some museums, so hopefully they'll be cool. I guess I can sit in the shade in the park but I don't want to do that all day. My flat will be like an oven though.

Yeah museums will have aircon on full blast. took a school trip to the national gallery the other day and it was fine. i've also noticed citymapper has been offering tfl routes specifically with aircon so that could be something to look into as well. meanwhile i'll be suffering in a classroom :cry:

screw

Postby Kenny » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:30 pm

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:49 pm

arriving early evening-ish on a red eye flight i'll sleep through. what's fun to on a tuesday night in like shoreditch bethnal green area?

also if anyone wants to say hi lmk
delgriffith wrote:Quick Google search reveals that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:53 pm

also what are the cool vintage/thrift stores?

Postby rankoutsider » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:16 pm

if you like good spicy pizza, the Pizza Union at Aldgate East - whilst being a chain - is a good stop. get the calabria and sprinkle extra pepper flakes on there. I think they have one in Shoreditch somewhere as well, but this particular location never disappoints.

I guess Spitalfields Market is worth a visit, but it's very touristy.

the Brick Lane Vintage Market is alright, plenty of clothing and tchotchkes to be found there. haven't been there since pre-pandemic so don't know what it looks like now.

if you like Indian food I see there's a Dishoom in the area, always a good stop for drinks and proper Indian.

you could also check out BOXPARK just by Shoreditch station where there's a lot of bric-a-brac stores and a multiple of food truck style establishments in a food court setting.
Sprechen Sie talk?

rankoutsider

Postby screw » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:33 am

biegel bake on brick lane for a salt beef bagel just cus it’s always open and you might as well

don’t go to boxpark

st dunstans in the east is a cool old church ruin you can look at nearby

walk over to Whitechapel and get a curry at lahore or somali food at al kahf

would recommend walking down the river towards rotherhithe if you have time and getting a drink at the mayflower

screw

Postby Kaputt » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:57 am

All good shouts!

Dishoom will probably have a stupid queue if you're going in the evening but if you can go a bit earlier in the day then it's really worthwhile as it's decently priced and is super tasty.

I like dosa world just off Brick Lane for simple unpretentious South Indian food - loads of great veggie options.

Definitely go see St Dunstans if you can. If you're more in Bethnal Green then there are some good beer spots - mother Kelly's is nice as is Boxcar. If you're in Shoreditch there's a mikkeler bar which has a good selection and then loads of food options. If you're looking for something slightly fancier then Officina 00 does really good Italian food (as apparently does Gloria's but I haven't been).

Might be able to offer more if you can say more about what kind of food etc you'd be looking for

Kaputt

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:03 am

I don't know if I'd be sending someone to Whitechapel on their first night in London. The curries are good but it's kind of grim/grimy. Shoreditch, Brick Lane and Columbia Road are a little more fun and bougie

I also don't know much about vintage but Beyond Retro (especially the one in Dalston) is a pretty big deal iirc and my gf likes Paper Dress Vintage in Hackney

Lots of nice places to eat around there. Top of my list would be Xian Biang Biang or Bubala if you're feeling a little more fancy

HotFingersClub

Postby Kaputt » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:32 am

Oh shit Bubala looks amazing. Can you tell me more please HFC? What was the experience like and what did you get?!

I love eating out but it tends to always be cheap Indian food rather than something fancier like this and a fancy establishment fills me with apprehension :D

Kaputt

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:44 am

Haha sure man, I've been a bunch of times. It's my number one choice for a birthday dinner with friends because it's pretty cheap but still feels special. I go for dinner, pay £38 for Bubala Knows Best and they just bring you endless plates of the most sick ass delicious veggie middle eastern stuff: https://bubala.co.uk/documents/bubalaknowsbest.pdf.

The table has been full to overflowing every time and we rarely have room to finish everything. For me it's the perfect combination of fine dining-type cuisine + huge quantities + relaxed atmos. Plus you can get change from a 50 if you don't go wild on cocktails

HotFingersClub

Postby Kaputt » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:11 am

HotFingersClub wrote:Haha sure man, I've been a bunch of times. It's my number one choice for a birthday dinner with friends because it's pretty cheap but still feels special. I go for dinner, pay £38 for Bubala Knows Best and they just bring you endless plates of the most sick ass delicious veggie middle eastern stuff: https://bubala.co.uk/documents/bubalaknowsbest.pdf.

The table has been full to overflowing every time and we rarely have room to finish everything. For me it's the perfect combination of fine dining-type cuisine + huge quantities + relaxed atmos. Plus you can get change from a 50 if you don't go wild on cocktails

Thank you! That sounds amazing. I will find a suitable occasion in the coming months and report back

Kaputt

Postby grammatron » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:13 am

I'll be landing in London on Saturday morning and will be there until Tuesday. I honestly don't know if/when I'll have time to hang, but I would love to say hello and get a hug from whoever is around if I can. I'd wanted to go to the Fuller's brewery, but I mapped it, and it's like an hour from where we're staying, so I dunno if I'll get over there or not. We're staying in the Shoreditch area. So watch this space I guess, and I'll keep the thread updated on when I might have free time. My guess is it'd be Monday.

grammatron

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:04 pm

Kaputt wrote:All good shouts!

Dishoom will probably have a stupid queue if you're going in the evening but if you can go a bit earlier in the day then it's really worthwhile as it's decently priced and is super tasty.

I like dosa world just off Brick Lane for simple unpretentious South Indian food - loads of great veggie options.

Definitely go see St Dunstans if you can. If you're more in Bethnal Green then there are some good beer spots - mother Kelly's is nice as is Boxcar. If you're in Shoreditch there's a mikkeler bar which has a good selection and then loads of food options. If you're looking for something slightly fancier then Officina 00 does really good Italian food (as apparently does Gloria's but I haven't been).

Might be able to offer more if you can say more about what kind of food etc you'd be looking for
only things I don't eat are red meat and anything with any nuts other than peanuts (allergy)

Also looking for recommendations of pub quizzes, places to dance, vintage / thrift stores / markets, art galleries, and I dunno a pub to strike up a conversation with someone interesting maybe. Weird cool cultural goings on too I guess

Postby saranclaps ultra mode 9000 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:43 am

Bump

Postby murderhorn » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:43 am

Eris Drew at Corsica studios on Friday is sold out but you could queue early to try to get a ticket on the door, probably won't beat that for dancing this week/month

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:49 am

I don't know what good shows are on but Chisenhale gallery is a good one to visit for being able to walk through Victoria park to get to or home from it or you can walk along the canal further east to Hackney wick or back toward Islington

murderhorn

Postby Kaputt » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:24 am

Yeah a walk along the canal to Hackney Wick is a very chill way to spend a few hours and there are lots of nice pubs around Hackney wick. You're then pretty close to the Olympic Park which is fun to explore and if you're wanting a bigger walk/cycle you can continue up to Hackney marshes and even further up the river to Walthamstow wetlands.

Kaputt

Postby grammatron » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:55 am

I’m up in Seahouses by Bamburgh Castle and I never want to go home.

grammatron

Postby Seamus » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:30 pm

Viola Swamp wrote:
HotFingersClub wrote:
Viola Swamp wrote:everyone go see the burnt city at punchdrunk's new permanent home in woolwich

time out does 25 pound ticket drops each week, and they often have same-day returns pop up on the official website

perfectly engineered for our night bus asses

I got tickets for three separate dates as soon as they dropped :oops: What do you think should I go to all of them myself or give some as gifts?

you're gonna want to go to all of them yourself

i went five times in a row (flew in from NYC for work and extended my stay) and don't regret it

every night was chock full of unique experiences and encounters, but i think 3 will be totally satisfying, especially spread out

Seamus wrote:I'm going burnt city in August :)

y'all feel free to PM me for spoiler-free tips before or specific questions after you go and before you return

Forgot to PM you but just went and had a very good time, it was really cool. Kronos took me through a secret bit and also had Cassandra take me for a little hand hold walk
Thanks, admin.

Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

monkey d stiltzkin wrote:pure poppycock from Seamus yet again

Seamus

Postby Seamus » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:36 pm

grammatron wrote:I’m up in Seahouses by Bamburgh Castle and I never want to go home.

I was there 1 week ago. That was a nice spot. Where's next?
Thanks, admin.

Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

monkey d stiltzkin wrote:pure poppycock from Seamus yet again

Seamus

Postby Bartatua » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:37 pm

Hello friends, I'm moving to the London area
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby An Indulgent Mother » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:51 pm

whereabouts? should be warned that it's the worst area of the country aside from London itself
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression

An Indulgent Mother

Postby Kenny » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:15 pm

Go to London, I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:13 am

I don't know if I ever mentioned on the board, I don't think I did because it stressed me out but I guess our landlords (two regular people who owned this place on a own-to-rent thing) weren't using our rent to pay the mortgage and they lost the flat to receivers and we knew it was coming as soon as we heard about that but a little over a week ago we had notice that we had 2 months to vacate.

Anyway we just put a deposit down on a place and we'll be moving to Dalston/Haggerston... kind of pumped the area is really nice. But I'm sad to leave East London (wikipedia says Dalston says it's East London!) after living here for 10 years, though Dalston is kind of a mix of East London still in it, though our postcode will be N1 instead of E3 :'(

One great thing is that I'll be just under 3 miles from work and can just walk in and home the 2 days I have to go in a week

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:25 am

Kenny wrote:Go to London, I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

and Cockfosters

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:05 pm

That's nice Kenny I think you'll like the area. I was living round there for a couple of years and really enjoyed it.

Do u ride bike? I got into cycling round town while I was living there. The quiet routes are so good, now it's my favourite way to get around London

HotFingersClub

Postby grammatron » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:04 pm

Seamus wrote:
grammatron wrote:I’m up in Seahouses by Bamburgh Castle and I never want to go home.

I was there 1 week ago. That was a nice spot. Where's next?

Sorry, i didn't keep up w/ the thread. After Seahouses we went too Edinburgh and I truly loved it so much. Just the coolest city. Then we spent a night in a castle in the middle of nowhere in Angus, then out to Isle of Skye, then sleeper trained back to London for one more night.

grammatron

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley