fuck guns

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby goofjan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:40 pm

in order to address these mass shootings in any significant way, the government would have to acknowledge, study, and fix massive problems with gun sales, healthcare, corporate media monopolies, the racial divide in the US, policing, and many more things. no one fix would completely do the trick (though taking all the guns would certainly help!!) anyway, there is not a single high ranking politician who has any meaningful interest in fixing any of those problems, let alone all of them, because they think it would undermine their own financial interests.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby jack » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:43 pm

wow

jack

Postby Bartatua » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:44 pm

that's incredible
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby sniplets » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:45 pm

Holy shit

sniplets

Postby super gas » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:45 pm

lol "you post on 8chan? it'll be $50,000."

super gas

Postby Shotfrog » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:46 pm

I do pay a high auto insurance premium due to my history of mowing down pedestrians.

Shotfrog

Postby draw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Because deprogramming US gun perverts and making 400 million guns disappear is lib fantasy and addressing our healthcare crisis is something we can start doing today. By all means keep talking about gun bans because that's the only way we gradually shift the overton window over the next 50 or 100 years but if we want to make the world safer in our lifetime we need to redouble our focus on the underlying psychological/sociological causes just like liberals/leftists are happy to do for just about any other social issue.

draw

Postby This Guy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Fuck gun btw

This Guy

Postby quinine » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:48 pm

thats a pretty mainstream democrat stance is it not

quinine
ok

Postby tgk » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:50 pm

jack wrote:wow

tgk

Postby mcwop23 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:51 pm

can you poll negatively
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby whatabout tim » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:53 pm

draw wrote:Because deprogramming US gun perverts and making 400 million guns disappear is lib fantasy and addressing our healthcare crisis is something we can start doing today. By all means keep talking about gun bans because that's the only way we gradually shift the overton window over the next 50 or 100 years but if we want to make the world safer in our lifetime we need to redouble our focus on the underlying psychological/sociological causes just like liberals/leftists are happy to do for just about any other social issue.

The one thing the gun issue has going atm is the NRA basically imploding.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Neil puts things in perspective per usual

Award winning author of threads about Ziggy using Preparation H™ as toothpaste, and Jay Leno being burned alive in his car

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby black mamba » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:00 pm

dr. badvibes wrote:
Catullus wrote:Just popping in again to say that most of these shooters have no identifiable mental illness other than hatred/extremism (anger is not a mental illness)

i don't understand this, and if you or anyone else was willing to explain more i would be in their debt

anger isn't a mental illness, but there are millions of angry, racist extremists who restrict their violence to verbal/online abuse or voting for the party they know shares their angry racism. those individuals who are willing to convert their anger into the action of executing as many strangers as possible... why isn't that mental illness? to me it seems like there is a massive gulf between fantasizing (or even desiring others to action) physical violence vs. acting on that impulse

their actions are the logical endpoint of an ideology, in this case the idea of 'white genocide'

black mamba
ok

Postby screaming emphysema » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Cool guy alert!

Pretty sure we can send this guy straight into the sun

screaming emphysema

Postby Hugh » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:01 pm

jack wrote:wow

fuck this asshole

Hugh

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:02 pm

Jesus fucking christ, Neil
lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

guy forget wrote:Woah wait a minute Phish is dumb as hell

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby super gas » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:05 pm

doctors kill 500 by mistake every 48 hours? yikes

super gas

Postby Kenny » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:07 pm

history of hate crimes, start SAVIN' if you want to do more buddy lol
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Hugh » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:10 pm

lol cod out here rocking the vote

Hugh

Postby Lowercase Tea » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:34 pm

black mamba wrote:
dr. badvibes wrote:
Catullus wrote:Just popping in again to say that most of these shooters have no identifiable mental illness other than hatred/extremism (anger is not a mental illness)

i don't understand this, and if you or anyone else was willing to explain more i would be in their debt

anger isn't a mental illness, but there are millions of angry, racist extremists who restrict their violence to verbal/online abuse or voting for the party they know shares their angry racism. those individuals who are willing to convert their anger into the action of executing as many strangers as possible... why isn't that mental illness? to me it seems like there is a massive gulf between fantasizing (or even desiring others to action) physical violence vs. acting on that impulse

their actions are the logical endpoint of an ideology, in this case the idea of 'white genocide'

To address the original question part of this is there is a lot of push and pull around the idea of what makes it into the DSM-V and what doesn't. For a long time social workers had pushed psychiatrists to recognize racism as a mental illness as that it does cause "clinical distress" and usually does impact a "client's functioning" but the DSM guidance committee has refused on the grounds of trying not to be political. On the other side of that coin is a few people trying to get Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome into the DSM-V to encapsulate the other diagnoses usually used for black children that carry stigma (Conduct Disorder, etc).

It breaks down to how people thing mental illness is viewed and how people respond to it. I've worked with a lot of kids as their first therapist and depending on the clinical supervisor sometimes people argue I should be very clear with them about their right to confidentiality and they under no means have to share with their teacher what they talked to me about, while others argue that I'm ingraining stigma into them by doing that.

Another example is Gender Dysmorphia being the DSM. For the most part most clinicians hate it and there has been a movement to get it removed, but on the other hand pragmatists point out that if it's removed that means a lot of key surgeries would then not be covered by insurance without an official diagnosis.

Of course all of this is kind of irrelevant to the matter at hand because frankly due to the horrible way insurance billing is handled for therapy, many therapists won't take insurance so those people usually don't get specific diagnoses and I suspect a lot of these terrorists would have the family means for a private therapist.
Lowercase Tea

Postby jack » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:37 pm

screaming emphysema wrote:Cool guy alert!

Pretty sure we can send this guy straight into the sun

might as well be walking on it

jack

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:39 pm

screaming emphysema wrote:Pretty sure we can send this guy straight into the sun

Well actually, screaming emphysema, even protected by high-temperature silica tiles like those used to shield the Space Shuttle from extreme heat on re-entry, this guy would burn up approximately 1.3 million miles before reaching the sun's corona. So, you could send me "towards," but not actually "into" our nearest star.
Yes, sir, I've become a real "Net-Head!" I don't know how I communicated before I got online!

DasLofGang

Postby denvermax » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:40 pm

I agree with Neil here

denvermax

Postby sniplets » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:41 pm

So, doctors are the real terrorists?

sniplets

Postby board ghost » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:44 pm

re “mental illness”

its probably worth us taking environmental and cultural and biological factors into account when we think about violence, but starting with trying to pathologize mass ideologically motivated terrorists rather than... for example... considering the role of lead paint and leaded gasoline in urban violence seems pretty flatly disingenuous to me. like yeah lets be more sophisticated and less binary good/evil/guilty/not guilty in how we think about/try to curb violence but not just when its white kids from good families.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

board ghost

Postby Catullus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm

draw wrote:would you also say suicide is not necessarily a mental health issue? if so then we're probably just arguing semantics at this point

Suicide is not the same as mass shootings. Betted mental health will very likely improve suicide rates but it must be in conjunction with gun regulation and also not tied directly to mass shootings. Because all that is done is hand waving that turns people with MI into bogeymen. Radicalized behavior isn’t a mental illness. There is no entry in the DSM V for ‘Hates brown people’. By labeling all of these people as ‘crazy’ you 1) further stigmatize people like myself who have serious mental health issues and face discrimination and 2) fail to get at the actual root cause which is radicalization and access to highly effective deadly weapons.

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby The Priest » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm

"N thousand people die in car accidents every year, so ..." is the most brain dead response that survives basically no logical scrutiny yet we have to see that shit literally every time
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby The Priest » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:50 pm

I'm fine talking about mental illness but not in lieu of talking about guns. Using it as a distraction to ignore gun shit is what's wrong with the public discussion
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby Stuntman » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:51 pm

denvermax wrote:I agree with Neil here

Yeah he’d have a real point if the 500 deaths on account of medical errors were due to the negligence of one doctor who also happened to hate all of their patients.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Stuntman

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley