fuck guns

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby iambic » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:54 am

Catullus wrote:
chandler wrote:I feel like that's ancient history though (not carrying by default)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_firearm_use_by_country

Since 1916, New Zealand Police have used lethal force 40 times.

whoa

iambic

Postby Catullus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 am

Yeah most carry in specific circumstances, but most places they have protocol that require you to do several steps before discharging. And as you can see, in many places despite having guns the police fire them very rarely and very few people are killed by police.

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby Catullus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:05 am

Like a Tamir Rice would be impossible in so many of these countries. Just carrying a weapon by itself in so many places isn't even enough to draw your weapon let alone fire a warning shot. The inevitable 'BuT tHe Us Is DiFfErEnT' makes no sense. It isn't different in any meaningful way except we don't have any uniform standards for training police on deescalation and when it's proper to discharge or draw a weapon, we don't hold police accountable when they do, and we don't keep any good data on how often it happens and where and when so we can't do any meaningful studies to counteract it.

THANKS NRA!

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 am

that's not what shitheads mean when they say the us is different
Yes, sir, I've become a real "Net-Head!" I don't know how I communicated before I got online!

DasLofGang

Postby Catullus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:11 am

Of course it isn't, but they are also wrong.

The only way we're different is that we have way more guns in the hands of way more people and our policing is extremely regionalized with little to no oversight.

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby mcwop23 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:33 am

even the security guard in our office carries a gun

and i really hate when i’m at the store at the same time as the armored truck people
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby virtuous » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:44 am

One time I was sitting at a Taco Bell and three armored car dipshits came in and got the money. They went back out to the truck and two of them locked the third one out as a goof.

The third guy took out his gun and acted like he was sticking it into one of those firing holes on the outside while they all laughed.
virtuous

Postby brent » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:56 am

do you ever think about how many people around you are just carrying

i try not to think about it but i know there's so many people just walking around with these fucking things

brent

Postby Stuntman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:53 pm

virtuous wrote:One time I was sitting at a Taco Bell and three armored car dipshits came in and got the money. They went back out to the truck and two of them locked the third one out as a goof.

The third guy took out his gun and acted like he was sticking it into one of those firing holes on the outside while they all laughed.

When I worked at a grocery store in high school I was once asked by a manager to come to the front end office while one of these guys happened to be emptying the safe inside and as soon as I opened the door he yelled at me to back off and put his hand on his gun. It was terrifying.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Stuntman

Postby def from above » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:59 pm

easy wrote:good podcast alert:

Know Your Enemy (Matthew Sitman and Sam Adler-Bell) had Patrick Blanchfield on to talk about gun culture in america and it's very, very good. episode's called "Gunpower"

late to this but thanks easy

cant recommend this highly enough. perhaps the best thing ive listened to all year, and that includes music...
What had happen was...

def from above

Postby junebug » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:19 pm

iambic wrote:varies by country. in Ireland and the UK, they don't carry. I didn't see a gun in person until I was 9 and visited portugal on holiday

tbf, my reaction was probably "cool!"

cops might not carry guns in the uk, but the amount of surveillance there is dystopian and dangerous for poc.

junebug

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:54 pm

brent wrote:do you ever think about how many people around you are just carrying

i try not to think about it but i know there's so many people just walking around with these fucking things

about 8 out of 10 people I work with on an everyday basis
Yes, sir, I've become a real "Net-Head!" I don't know how I communicated before I got online!

DasLofGang

Postby brent » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:01 pm

edited because the einstein thread is better for it

brent

Postby iambic » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:26 pm

bunejug wrote:
iambic wrote:varies by country. in Ireland and the UK, they don't carry. I didn't see a gun in person until I was 9 and visited portugal on holiday

cops might not carry guns in the uk, but the amount of surveillance there is dystopian and dangerous for poc.

yeah, true. I'm glad I didn't defend or even mention the pervasive surveillance in a country I'm not from.

iambic

Postby dr. badvibes » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:54 pm

iambic wrote:
bunejug wrote:

yeah, true. I'm glad I didn't defend or even mention the pervasive surveillance in a country I'm not from.

not defending is fine, but it's actually the running back -- an offensive position -- that is the most frequently injured in the NFL

dr. badvibes

Postby Paul » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:13 pm

iambic wrote:
Catullus wrote:
chandler wrote:I feel like that's ancient history though (not carrying by default)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_firearm_use_by_country

Since 1916, New Zealand Police have used lethal force 40 times.

whoa

I liked scrolling down on this where all these countries have like maybe double digit incidents involving firearms, then England has this huge jump of incidents and once you get to America it's not even incidents it's just a staggering amount of deaths.
lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

guy forget wrote:Woah wait a minute Phish is dumb as hell

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:58 pm

Catullus wrote:Like a Tamir Rice would be impossible in so many of these countries. Just carrying a weapon by itself in so many places isn't even enough to draw your weapon let alone fire a warning shot. The inevitable 'BuT tHe Us Is DiFfErEnT' makes no sense. It isn't different in any meaningful way except we don't have any uniform standards for training police on deescalation and when it's proper to discharge or draw a weapon, we don't hold police accountable when they do, and we don't keep any good data on how often it happens and where and when so we can't do any meaningful studies to counteract it.

THANKS NRA!

it's not just that we don't train them to deescalate, we train them like they are going up against isis

https://newrepublic.com/article/141675/professor-carnage-dave-grossman-police-warrior-philosophy
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored

Self Destructive Zone

Postby super gas » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 pm

iambic wrote:
super gas wrote:every time i get on a crowded subway train and there is a cop on it and i see his gun i start to freeaaak the fuck out.

yeah, and it's insane-feeling, as a craven euro immigrant, to articulate how bizarro and frightening it is to see a gun in public. or just to be in a society that, to its bones, thinks of violence as necessary, inevitable, and even ennobling (if you're the one doing it)

it's like americans just grew up in this poison gas, hacking up their lungs everywhere, act like having blood and lung chunks everywhere is unavoidable, and all the while shout about the need to add more poison gas to drive out the bad poison gas

i grew up in a town of about 32,000 where they closed the police station some 20 years ago. we now have two patrol cars from a neighboring city, so i just never really saw cops growing up. my aunt works in narcotics/vice, hasn't had a gun since the 80s and she's my only real connection with police back home. contrast that with living in new york where there are cops on every corner.

first time i saw a cop standing near me in the subway was the first time i really saw a hand gun up close. and i all i could think about was how easy it would be for me to ruin my life in seconds. strange sensation of dread that the cop would lose his shit or me losing my mind and going for it.

super gas

Postby Fullscreen » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:47 am

xxx-xxx-xxxx wrote:
MikeS wrote:
whatabout tim wrote:Whenever anyone brings up chicago as a retort I react with shock and ask if they were always racist or if it's just overt now.

Aren’t halve of all guns recovered in shootings in Chicago from out of state? I always throw that one out there

i'd be in favor of a wall separating us from indiana

And the rest of Illinois while we're at it.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby Fullscreen » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:49 am

Maybe a high speed rail corridor to our comrades in Bloomington-Normal.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby creamline bling » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:38 pm

They carry in Northern Ireland.

Indeed, one of the chiefs of the PSNI that presented to us showed us a picture of the RUC in the 1970's holding machine guns and prefaced it with "So as Americans this photo probably isn't shocking to you, but the rest of the UK never had flak jackets or guns until recently."
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

creamline bling

Postby blab » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 am

Last edited by blab on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blab

Postby blab » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:45 am

Last edited by blab on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blab

Postby blab » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:53 am

blab

Postby blab » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:12 am

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/09/22/transgender-woman-shot-multiple-times-in-hate-crime-dallas-police-say/?fbclid=IwAR3MMYE3lv-ZALoFlrad45GcH30CZO0r5QgGzWBaVo_SqC19KrV8xS7zsYE

A transgender woman was shot repeatedly in an apparent hate crime late Friday in northwest Dallas, police say.

The woman was wounded about 11 p.m. Friday in the 11000 block of Dennis Road, north of Royal Lane, as a man pulled alongside the victim and yelled "a number of slurs about her gender identity," police said. The man shot her multiple times in the chest and arm.

another trans women taking bullets in dallas for existing

hmm that place is like half way-ish between work and home for me :|

several trans women have been murdered in dallas this year (trans women of color)

blab

Postby super gas » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:43 am

awful.

on awful and dallas, the trial of the murder of Botham Jean starts today.

super gas

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:44 am

trans women of color being killed has been a huge issue here as well
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Catullus » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:46 am

mcwop23 wrote:trans women of color being killed has been a huge issue here as well

Yeah FL is Not Good when it comes to this :/

And the Botham Jean case makes me mad as hell.

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby blab » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:50 am

super gas wrote:awful.

on awful and dallas, the trial of the murder of Botham Jean starts today.

yeppp buckle up

DPD union tried to get the trial delayed because of the state fair lol. dallas is short on police. they act like this trial is a security issue. hm maybe the people being mad is a justifiable response for DPD publicly defending one of their racist murderers.

blab

Postby blab » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:52 am

for those who maybe don't know about botham jean:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/09/23/testimony-begins-monday-in-amber-guyger-s-murder-trial-for-shooting-botham-jean/

dallas morning news is going to be a good source for trial updates. they have an email list if you want to receive updates as well. i feel like i should be following this closely because i dream of being a lawyer in this city one day. as for my opinion on what should happen to guyger-- i've already decided her fate in my mind. curious 2 c how it plays out court. i am emotionally prepared to be mad.

edit: just wanna throw out that i <3 dallas. is a cool place to live. i sorta kinda believe in staying here. there's work to do and there's AMAZING organizers/activists who are all over this shit.
Last edited by blab on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

blab

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley