Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Permafrost » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:42 am

Jesus fuck wtf this Christchurch attack is nuts. Absolutely awful.

Where can you even get those kind of guns in NZ?

Permafrost

Postby Permafrost » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:43 am

fuck guns :(

Permafrost

Postby marble » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:48 am

Permafrost wrote:Jesus fuck wtf this Christchurch attack is nuts. Absolutely awful.

i have no fucking idea

marble

Postby tawny frogmouth » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 am

my dad owns about 15 guns, i think some are probably assault rifles. he went his whole life without ever mentioning an interest in guns but when he turned 60 it's like a flip switched in his head or something. he has a concealed carry permit, insists that the second amendment keeps us safe, etc, etc. all the usual gun shit. it's been a huge wedge issue for us and the only way we've managed to move forward is to basically never talk about it.

EXCEPT he's told me a bunch of times that the 15 guns are part of my inheritance when he dies. every time this has come up i've told him i don't want them and that if i inherit them i'm just going to have the county come destroy them. i'm not gonna resell them, nothing. part of my inheritance upon my father's death will just be throwing out thousands of dollars worth of stuff because i don't want to be a fucking weapons dealer. he came to visit me in 2017 and we had a long heart-to-heart on a pier looking out at manhattan. i really thought i'd gotten through to him, he told me point blank that he'd begin the process of selling them off so i didn't have to. it was nice, it felt like a moment.

but then at this past christmas he let it slip that he has plans to buy a few more guns, as in not only did he not sell the guns he said he'd sell, he's going to add to the armory. i didn't address it then, but i wrote a loooong email about the issue and have had it saved as a draft for months now. it never feels like a good time to send it, but fuck a mass shooting of muslims feels like as good a time as any. wish me luck everyone, i'm about to drop a live grenade into my relationship with my dad

tawny frogmouth

Postby came to wreck » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:56 am

marble wrote:
Permafrost wrote:Jesus fuck wtf this Christchurch attack is nuts. Absolutely awful.

i have no fucking idea

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/world/asia/new-zealand-shooting-updates-christchurch.html
There were 1.2 million registered firearms in the country of 4.6 million people in 2017, according to the Small Arms Survey, a Swiss nonprofit.

New Zealand law allows any person aged 16 or older with an entry-level firearm license to keep any number of common rifles and shotguns, according to GunPolicy.org, a project hosted by the University of Sydney. Most guns can be purchased without being tracked by law enforcement officials.

“New Zealand is almost alone with the United States in not registering 96 percent of its firearms, and those are its most common firearms, the ones most used in crimes,” said Philip Alpers of GunPolicy.org. “There are huge gaps in New Zealand law even if some of its laws are strong.”

It remains unclear what weapons were used in the Christchurch attack, or how and where they were acquired.
In his manifesto, he identified himself as a 28-year-old man born in Australia and listed his white nationalist heroes.

Writing that he had purposely used guns to stir discord in the United States over the Second Amendment’s provision on the right to bear arms, he also declared himself a fascist. “For once, the person that will be called a fascist, is an actual fascist,” he wrote.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/15/new-zealand-gun-laws-face-scrutiny-after-christchurch-attack
Unlike the UK and Australia, New Zealand does not ban the ownership of semi-automatic military-style assault weapons. Most guns can be legally sold on the internet or through newspaper ads. Any person aged 16 or over with an entry-level firearm licence can keep any number of common rifles and shotguns without having to register them.

“New Zealand’s decision not to register 96% of civilian firearms makes it a standout exception, alone with the United States and Canada,” Alpers said.

Over the past year, New Zealand has seen a renewed debate over what police have called loopholes in the way military-style semi-automatic (MSSA) rifles are defined by law. Possession of MSSA rifles is supposed to be subject to a higher level of scrutiny from the police, and there are only about 15,000 registered in civilian hands, as of last year.

But because of the way MSSA firearms are defined by law, guns with slightly different features but virtually the same function can fall outside of the stricter regulations. Both police and firearms enthusiasts noted that a rifle could be transformed into a MSSA simply by adding a larger-capacity magazine.

came to wreck

Postby LaAbeja » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Good luck tawny!
Fear is an illusion!

LaAbeja

Postby Esteban » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:02 pm

Good luck tawny

Esteban

Postby deep blue meanies » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:38 am

:(

deep blue meanies

Postby Pris » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:46 am

Damn, gotta go there tomorrow. Not clear what's going on yet. No one apprehended.

Pris

Postby Pris » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:59 am

Three killed, nine wounded.

Police arrested the main suspect, a Turkish-born man of 37. It's still unsure if this was a terror attack. It could also be a targeted 'honor killing', where the suspect decided to also shoot everyone who came to help his victim.

Pris

Postby delgriffith » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Fucking hell :(

delgriffith

Postby gauchebag » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:10 pm

you know i hate this country and i hate guns and i hate the pointless massacre of people. i have never fired a gun.

but i still don't get why people should be able to sue a gun manufacturer bc someone shot someone (of fifty someones) with one of their guns until the manufacture of guns is illegal. isn't the gun doing exactly what it is designed to do? it's not like the tobacco jerks who lied about the harmful effects of their products. i don't think remington is pretending that guns are harmless, they manufacture a tool that is designed to cause harm.

what i am missing here?
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun

gauchebag

Postby speakers » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:12 pm

gauchebag wrote:you know i hate this country and i hate guns and i hate the pointless massacre of people. i have never fired a gun.

but i still don't get why people should be able to sue a gun manufacturer bc someone shot someone (of fifty someones) with one of their guns until the manufacture of guns is illegal. isn't the gun doing exactly what it is designed to do? it's not like the tobacco jerks who lied about the harmful effects of their products. i don't think remington is pretending that guns are harmless, they manufacture a tool that is designed to cause harm.

what i am missing here?

i have no real insight here so i should probably just not post at all but i think the big tobacco comparison is apt because the gun lobby has suppressed (among many other things i'm sure) research into gun safety measures, mass shootings, etc, for many decades

speakers

Postby blab » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:15 pm

a proud boy neo nazi pulled a gun on a woman in deep ellum a couple nights ago over a parking spot, whipped her phone out of her hand, and beat her when she went to defend herself. fucked city and country

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/03/22/woman-recovering-vicious-assault-deep-ellum-parking-lot/
Last edited by blab on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blab

Postby gauchebag » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:16 pm

research lol? mentally disturbed people shoot people with guns. what is there to research? make the guns illegal do the logical and obvious thing that will protect people. suing the gun manufacturer doesn't really seem to do anything. gives them less money to lobby with maybe?
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun

gauchebag

Postby farmer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:07 pm

gauchebag wrote:research lol? mentally disturbed people shoot people with guns. what is there to research? make the guns illegal do the logical and obvious thing that will protect people. suing the gun manufacturer doesn't really seem to do anything. gives them less money to lobby with maybe?

is this a troll or what
farmer

Postby delgriffith » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:22 am

delgriffith wrote:
Fucking hell :(

Clustering is real and this is just fucking heartbreaking.

delgriffith

Postby goofjan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:51 am

every single right wing asshole who publicly harassed the Parkland survivors should be on trial for these deaths.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby Shotfrog » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:28 am

Shotfrog

Postby whatabout tim » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:12 pm

People are losing hope.
tim

whatabout tim

Postby screaming emphysema » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:27 pm

This is destroying me. As a father now I can’t imagine the pain he’s been through and how I honestly wouldn’t be able to handle it. Fuck this shit

screaming emphysema

Postby whatabout tim » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:33 pm

Infowars is a terrorist organization. Hopefully Jones gets what he deserves.
tim

whatabout tim

Postby David Lobster Wallets » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:24 pm

Fuck One Nation, Fuck Pauline Hanson, Fuck the NRA

A three-year Al Jazeera investigation into the U.S. gun lobby has uncovered an effort by an Australian political party to seek millions of dollars in political funding while offering to soften strict, anti-gun laws in Australia.

Al Jazeera’s Investigative Unit used concealed cameras to track ‘Pauline Hanson’s One Nation’, a right-wing, anti-immigration party, as representatives travelled to Washington, D.C. to hold meetings with the National Rifle Association and other lobby groups, as well as the energy giant Koch Industries.

One Nation’s Chief of Staff James Ashby was accompanied on the U.S. visit by Steve Dickson, the party’s leader in the Australian state of Queensland and a candidate in upcoming Australian elections.

Ashby and Dickson were recorded seeking up to $US20 million for their election war chest while promising to soften laws, put in place following a massacre in Australia in 1996.

The strict Australian gun laws have often been condemned by the NRA.

Al Jazeera approached all the groups and individuals featured in this programme. None responded to our findings.
im not a business ham, im a business ham

David Lobster Wallets

Postby alaska » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:32 pm

im really torn up about these suicides

this country is so fucking traumatized
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool

alaska

Postby joe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 pm

gauchebag wrote:research lol? mentally disturbed people shoot people with guns. what is there to research? make the guns illegal do the logical and obvious thing that will protect people. suing the gun manufacturer doesn't really seem to do anything. gives them less money to lobby with maybe?

considering there is so much public opposition to state authorities regulating gun sales, if you hold gun sellers and manufacturers liable it incentivizes them to "voluntarily" limit sales/restrict sales/engage in background checks/etc. also taking money away from capitalists that can be used to lobby against broader restrictions is unambiguously good

joe

Postby chowder julius » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:45 pm

joe wrote:

considering there is so much public opposition to state authorities regulating gun sales, if you hold gun sellers and manufacturers liable it incentivizes them to "voluntarily" limit sales/restrict sales/engage in background checks/etc. also taking money away from capitalists that can be used to lobby against broader restrictions is unambiguously good

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_liability

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby chowder julius » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:47 pm

chowder julius

Postby Shotfrog » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:49 pm

I can only imagine going through something like Sandy Hook and then, six years later, realizing that nothing has changed or will change, and by their actions people have proven that they don't actually care.
Last edited by Shotfrog on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shotfrog

Postby chowder julius » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:51 pm

and see also https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/katrina-vanden-heuvel-the-case-for-gun-liability-laws/2013/09/24/e0e8adb4-2457-11e3-b3e9-d97fb087acd6_story.html

Knives. Automobiles. Cold medicine. Alcohol. Cigarettes. Coffee.

What do these items have in common?

They’re all held to a higher safety standard than firearms.

Because of product-liability law, manufacturers must equip them with proper warnings, limitations and built-in designs that enhance their safety.

If they don’t, consumers can sue them for harm caused by the product. And all consumer products manufacturers are required to ensure that their products are free of design defects and don’t threaten public safety.

Guns, as Jonathan Lowy of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence’s Legal Action Project has said, are “the only consumer product in America with no federal safety oversight.”

chowder julius

Postby joe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:13 pm

thank you cj

joe

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....