Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:50 pm

you can't legislate the latter and it's going to get worse
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby big zorb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:53 pm

you could pass some legislation to deal with the very real national mental health crises in our country and theoretically you could pass gun legislation except that will never happen but how exactly are you going to stop the radicalization and increased violence of white supremacists within a government that fails to even fucking half-heartedly condemn it

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby endless dave » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:54 pm

If you find value in and can’t move past fatalism around the issue, which makes some sense, fine, but to go back to the start of this conversation- buying and carrying a gun actively makes it worse so maybe we don’t have a good answer yet but there is absolutely a bad answer to the problem
Last edited by endless dave on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

endless dave

Postby Durham » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:54 pm

mental health like all health in this country is too expensive and cumbersome to access for those who need it most. actually those that need it most are probably in jail going insane

between incarceration/mental health, access to guns, the cost of health care, the privatization and destruction of public education and its prohibitive cost after 12th grade—pretty much every social ill in this country is interlinked in this miasma of constant suffering, and has been comparatively eradicated in the oecd countries. the us is just a thunderdome with a great entertainment industry

Durham

Postby Bob511 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:56 pm

big zorb wrote:As I said to easy, i agree with you in theory bob, and my bad about the post at the top. But i do empathize with people who have concluded otherwise and honestly i wonder if there are actually other options or if we don't want to face the reality of no coming gun legislation and an increasingly mobilized white supremacist violent reality.
What gets to me about validating that conclusion is that the person who has concluded otherwise would still not just be wrong, but--even if the anxiety is undeniably real, and since we've all been culturally conditioned to equate firearms and agency, the specific situation you're talking about would almost certainly be well-intentioned--the price of that improved peace of mind (and that's the only predictable benefit that could come from it) would be paid (wholly or in part) by an increased chance of physical harm to those around them.

Even in the complete absence of any other options, the horrible status quo with more guns at its flashpoints is a worse option than the horrible status quo.
universe, you can't play the willfully ignorant, but partisan bleeding heart

Bob511

Postby Bob511 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:58 pm

Truly, I do think there's real harm in expressing "getting" (not just as a misguided emotional impulse) self-arming itself as protection against unpredictable violence, or the intermittent arguments for self-protection through gun ownership that have been popping up on the left of our politics, in a time where mandatory arming of school teachers is an option being pushed on that very same mythology. I really just don't think that's ground that should be granted an inch.

Bob511

Postby endless dave » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:00 am

I still get angry thinking about that article Kim Kelly wrote about how important it is for “the left” to arm themselves and for Vox of all places to publish it

endless dave

Postby Durham » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:01 am

I think zorb is making the reasonable deduction that if someone has to have the nth gun, better it be in my hands than in the right wing nutjob’s. but that’s a false choice as one can work toward a future without guns or at least fewer. But then that flies in the face of 500 years of history on this continent so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Durham

Postby Bob511 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:06 am

I think the formulation is more like "better that it be in my (or a co-worker's) hands and in the right-wing nutjob's, than just in the right-wing nutjob's."

But it's not better, and the fact that reasonable people can push aside all the evidence that it's not better really is dispiriting evidence of how poisoned all of our brains are about guns.

Bob511

Postby big zorb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:07 am

Bob511 wrote:Truly, I do think there's real harm in expressing "getting" (not just as a misguided emotional impulse) self-arming itself as protection against unpredictable violence, or the intermittent arguments for self-protection through gun ownership that have been popping up on the left of our politics, in a time where mandatory arming of school teachers is an option being pushed on that very same mythology. I really just don't think that's ground that should be granted an inch.

I think this is totally fair. But I do think a lot of people itt are willfully denying the reality of our moment and wishing for changes that are running opposite to the flow of play.

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby big zorb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:18 am

I feel like--and I recognize the irony given it is often the inverse--i am talking about the reality and other people itt are arguing ideologically (which I get). But the reality is this: the white supremacists have guns, they feel emboldened to use them, and the government has made it clear they do not intend to do anything about this. What is to be done, given those facts?

People aren't going to be convinced by the "well I don't know, but don't get a gun!" argument for too long if they keep seeing shootings with no real response.

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby came to wreck » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:26 am

Which gun should we all get, zorb?

came to wreck

Postby big zorb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:27 am

Yeah that's what I was arguing!

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:29 am

Zorb, out of curiosity do you live in an area that allows concealed carry? Bringing a gun in to work every day seems like such an unrealistic and uncomfortable option. I suppose you leave it locked up in a desk at your workplace but then the chances of you being able to use it in an emergency situation are drastically reduced.

There's a reason so few shootings are prevented by "good" gun owners. I think that synagogue shooting had a person with a gun and maybe one other earlier this year.
This is my Instagram

Milk wrote:I never have sex OR vacations.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:32 am

Of course NRA members would use my argument against me and say everyone should be carrying at all times to create the safest possible environment but then reactionary shootings would go through the roof.
This is my Instagram

Milk wrote:I never have sex OR vacations.

lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby Bob511 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:32 am

big zorb wrote:I feel like--and I recognize the irony given it is often the inverse--i am talking about the reality and other people itt are arguing ideologically

People are arguing that, if you take a gun into work Monday in order to protect yourself against the possibility of reactionary violence, the reality is you're going to do nothing but feel better about protecting yourself while making yourself and everyone around you (probably marginally, but still demonstrably) less safe, so do just about anything other than that, and dissuade just about anyone else you can to not do it either.

Bob511

Postby big zorb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:35 am

Bob511 wrote:
big zorb wrote:I feel like--and I recognize the irony given it is often the inverse--i am talking about the reality and other people itt are arguing ideologically

People are arguing that, if you take a gun into work Monday in order to protect yourself against the possibility of reactionary violence, the reality is you're going to do nothing but feel better about protecting yourself while making yourself and everyone around you (probably marginally, but still demonstrably) less safe, so do just about anything other than that, and dissuade just about anyone else you can to not do it either.

Is this honestly your answer to the white supremacists have guns, they are using them to commit slaughter, and the government has no interest in halting that? Because that seems a lot more fatalistic, really and truly.

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby big zorb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:35 am

Also bob fwiw I have dissuaded some of our security team (as far as I know).

But I dunno if I am correct in doing so as much as afraid of accepting what that might mean.
Last edited by big zorb on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby endless dave » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:35 am

Who is saying “well I don’t know” though, zorb

There is work being done to put gun restrictions in place and prevent deregulation, mostly at the state level, but still. Fuck Trump but even his DOJ banned bump stocks. And there are organizations that help pull people out of violent far right groups (that could do more with administration and more Congress people who agree with their effectiveness). The current FBI very publicly has stated the right wing and white supremacist violence threat in the country

There isn’t be enough done of course but to say nothing is being done and so we’re only left with self arming is just not true

endless dave

Postby big zorb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:37 am

Paul wrote:Zorb, out of curiosity do you live in an area that allows concealed carry? Bringing a gun in to work every day seems like such an unrealistic and uncomfortable option. I suppose you leave it locked up in a desk at your workplace but then the chances of you being able to use it in an emergency situation are drastically reduced.

There's a reason so few shootings are prevented by "good" gun owners. I think that synagogue shooting had a person with a gun and maybe one other earlier this year.

Yeah CC is legal here. I kind of assume many people here are.

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby endless dave » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:39 am

big zorb wrote:Also bob fwiw I have dissuaded some of our security team (as far as I know).

But I dunno if I am correct in doing so as much as afraid of accepting what that might mean.

To say again that more guns will statistically mean the person or those they know will more likely be the target of those guns, there’s also the very real possibility that the presence of a gun will escalate a non-violent and non-lethal altercation into one

endless dave

Postby big zorb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:43 am

endless dave wrote:
big zorb wrote:Also bob fwiw I have dissuaded some of our security team (as far as I know).

To say again that more guns will statistically mean the person or those they know will more likely be the target of those guns, there’s also the very real possibility that the presence of a gun will escalate a non-violent and non-lethal altercation into one

Sure, but I don't think you're being very empathetic as to why people who are being targeted by death threats are less than rationally processing the situation or may have a different perspective than you (although I dunno your life or anything so apologies if I am assuming you are in a different position than you are)

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 am

dog diarrhea in my beard

Frank

Postby Macgregor » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:55 am

big zorb wrote:Is this honestly your answer to the white supremacists have guns, they are using them to commit slaughter, and the government has no interest in halting that? Because that seems a lot more fatalistic, really and truly.

More fatalistic than statistically increasing the likelihood of fatalities under the justification/concession that nothing will ever improve?

You've acknowledged a lack of rational thought in this argument multiple times already for a reason

Macgregor

Postby Bob511 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:56 am

big zorb wrote:
Bob511 wrote:

Is this honestly your answer to the white supremacists have guns, they are using them to commit slaughter, and the government has no interest in halting that? Because that seems a lot more fatalistic, really and truly.

My answer is that, even granting a reality in which white supremacists use guns to commit sporadic acts of targeted terroristic violence and the governmental response is largely limited to performative reproach, doing absolutely nothing more than what we already do would be a better response than encouraging more people to pack heat in public places.

I am not actually willing to grant the inevitability of a reality in which white supremacists have guns and/or the governmental response is purely ornamental, and think there's any number of boring electoral and social efforts that might possibly change either or both, or possibly fail to, but in either case, the impulse to strap on a handgun to protect against mass shootings is going to be in practice a terrible idea.

Bob511

Postby furrowed brow » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:10 am

I don't get why this would be the tipping point for people to be like, well maybe some vulnerable populations should be allowed to carry guns vs like the pervasive risk of sexual assault for women who have a 1 in 5 or so chance of being sexually assaulted in their lifetimes and basically zero effective legal avenues for justice. I haven't done the numbers but lifetime risk of being killed by a white supremacist terrorist can't be much higher than 0.1% I'd imagine, obviously this risk increases for certain populations. And, I mean, there is a built in deterrent to that stuff. Yeah Trump may not have condemned the Charlottesville terrorist, but the guy still got 400 years in prision.

furrowed brow

Postby furrowed brow » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:13 am

Like, the guy that did this will almost certainly be executed.

furrowed brow

Postby big zorb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:16 am

I think it's because people committing sexual assault don't write manifestos about it usually so it *seems* like individual cases rather than this broad societal plague

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby naturemorte » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:17 am

one for the dystopia thread
dayton daily news tweets "what we know about the el paso shooting," tweets reports of dayton mass shooting three minutes later
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro

naturemorte

Postby big zorb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:17 am

Anyway thanks to everyone who lectured me about being reasonable in the face of literal death threats I'm out cya!!!

big zorb
smiling drinker

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....