incredible
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby murderhorn » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:39 am

find a good gun tweet from someone not Dan Hodges

murderhorn

Postby Durham » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:44 am

Unimaginable disgust waking up to texts like “ugh this country man” and scrolling Twitter and seeing thoughts and prayers posts being dragged, only to realize they’re referencing a totally different double digit slaughter

Durham

Postby jewels » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:49 am

A Philadelphia massacre was prevented because the shooter collecting weapons and gear was openly talking about it to customers at Walmart.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Amblin » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:53 am

Durham wrote:Unimaginable disgust waking up to texts like “ugh this country man” and scrolling Twitter and seeing thoughts and prayers posts being dragged, only to realize they’re referencing a totally different double digit slaughter

I had just woke up and saw the “9 dead” part and felt some relief that the El Paso death toll was adjusted and it wasn’t as bad

Then a moment later I sort of re-read it and realize it’s not El Paso

Amblin

Postby Shotfrog » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:59 am

Feech La Manna wrote:

incredible

It’s time to ban Night Trap.

Shotfrog

Postby terminus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:01 am

it's going to take an assassination attempt on a republican president to get anything to change, right? would that even be enough?
we gotta be normal, we can't be weird

terminus

Postby Shotfrog » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:03 am

terminus wrote:it's going to take an assassination attempt on a republican president to get anything to change, right? would that even be enough?

No, because somebody shot up several members of Congress already.

Shotfrog

Postby easy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:03 am

big zorb wrote:Anyway thanks to everyone who lectured me about being reasonable in the face of literal death threats I'm out cya!!!

come on

easy
does it

Postby jewels » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:03 am

That would lead to more guns
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby identikit » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:04 am

terminus wrote:it's going to take an assassination attempt on a republican president to get anything to change, right? would that even be enough?

Guns would get even cheaper, sales would go up, and we might see "buy 4 pay 3" deals, other than that, not sure what you mean.

identikit

Postby MikeS » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:08 am

Congress would start issuing tax credits

MikeS

Postby elo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:11 am

A lot of these mass murderers go to prison, get fit, paid and often married
this is a career path in America

you should be more ashamed of yourselves than you already are
elo

Postby terminus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:12 am

scalise was just a paltry majority whip when his shooting happened!!
we gotta be normal, we can't be weird

terminus

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:16 am

reagan's press secretary got shot in the face during his assassination attempt, so we passed a gun control bill named after him 12 years later, which republicans then proceeded to dismantle over the following decade. in conclusion, more guns
You remind me of Don Knotts.

DasLofGang

Postby Durham » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:18 am

Durham

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:23 am

if the vegas guy had been brown it'd have been treated as a mini 9/11, meaning at least some (potentially additional, depending) droning/bombing of whichever country his family was from

as it were, though.....eh what're ya gonna do

DasLofGang

Postby tgk » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:29 am

At this point you have to assume foreign terrorist organizations have stopped bothering to target us.

tgk

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:30 am

can't help but wonder about effective ways to disabuse people of the perception that they'll turn into rambo and save the day when it's their time to shine, as opposed to the far more likely outcome of blowing their own balls off because their hand is shaking so bad

it's like a hydra of machismo and dunning kruger and reality denial you'd be fighting, i don't think something like those canadian workplace safety PSAs is going to get through

how do you sell You're Not the Badass You Think You Are to a country full of...whatever the christ this is

DasLofGang

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:33 am

Durham wrote:

dunking on bad takes for the sake of it isn't helpful in a situation like this but this tweet is genuinely offensive.

light rail coyote

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:36 am

I'm also getting increasingly paranoid given how much white nationalists have focused on portland as a target.

we've had a lot of smaller acts of violence, stabbings, assaults, stuff like that, but it only feel a like a matter of time before someone decides to shoot up a farmer's market or public park or protest or something.

light rail coyote

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:40 am

"Content that praises, supports or represents the shooting or anyone responsible violates our Community Standards, and we will continue to remove as soon as we identify it," a Facebook spokesperson said.

DasLofGang

Postby Rumpleforeskin » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:44 am

DasLofGang wrote:can't help but wonder about effective ways to disabuse people of the perception that they'll turn into rambo and save the day when it's their time to shine, as opposed to the far more likely outcome of blowing their own balls off because their hand is shaking so bad

it's like a hydra of machismo and dunning kruger and reality denial you'd be fighting, i don't think something like those canadian workplace safety PSAs is going to get through

how do you sell You're Not the Badass You Think You Are to a country full of...whatever the christ this is

I've tried this with gun owners, asking what their literal plan was to fight Govt tyranny via the 2nd Amendment. Did they think they were going to take on a municipal police dept or the US military with a kicked over kitchen table and a personal collection of handguns and longrifles? Are they part of a militia? Is there an escape plan? Meetup point? I couldn't help but be dismissive about it, it's just a ridiculous notion. They always start grabbing at straws, bringing up the Constitution and intention of the founding fathers, then shifting to better safe than sorry, and then the Govt wants to take our guns and you're brainwashed. Never a real answer and they get all chest-puffy and angry.

Rumpleforeskin

Postby freewave » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:46 am

It's just a powder keg right now and yet no one does a thing to change it. Nuts.

freewave

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:47 am

light rail coyote wrote:
Durham wrote:

dunking on bad takes for the sake of it isn't helpful in a situation like this but this tweet is genuinely offensive.

Thanks for clarifying, Neera.

Eyeball Kid

Postby Catullus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:50 am

Just popping in again to say that most of these shooters have no identifiable mental illness other than hatred/extremism (anger is not a mental illness) and those with mental illness are much more likely to 1) be victims of crime rather than perpetrators and 2) use guns on themselves rather than anyone else. Framing the answer to gun violence against others is better mental health furthers stigma. We need better mental health but we need to not frame it after every mass shooting.
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby tgk » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:52 am

I don't know if there's a white nationalist connection with the Dayton shooter but trump just had a rally in Cincinnati and dayton is just outside there. Considering hate crimes rise 200% in communities after a trump rally it wouldn't at all be a stretch.

tgk

Postby light rail coyote » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:53 am

do we have any info at all on the dayton shooter?

light rail coyote

Postby Catullus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:55 am

Let’s also recall that the people trained specifically to respond to gun violence in an emergency regularly shoot innocent people accidentally or on purpose all the time. And nearly half of all of said sanctioned gun toting heroes are domestic abusers.

So yeah average Joe with a gun, even one trained to use one, is going to end up doing more harm than good
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby John Dark » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 am

Shotfrog wrote:

No, because somebody shot up several members of Congress already.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/45519/mike-turner?categoryId=37#.XUbx-aD_rmE

I mean, his daughter was across the street from Ned Peppers bar when the shooting broke out and his response is "our heroes the cops", the first runner-up to "thoughts and prayers."
Now here is the lake. And I still haven't changed.

John Dark

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....