You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby John plainman 4 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:26 pm

I agree, it's a useless phrase
John plainman 4

Postby draw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Less useless than the fantasy that meaningful gun control in the US will happen in the near-term rather than on a generational timeline

draw

Postby super gas » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:33 pm

unclear to me if the sister is one of the 9 dead.

super gas

Postby John plainman 4 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:36 pm

draw wrote:Less useless than the fantasy that meaningful gun control in the US will happen in the near-term rather than on a generational timeline

red car? good point!
John plainman 4

Postby draw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:37 pm

thanks

draw

Postby loaf angel » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:48 pm

Dayton shooter killed his sister in the attack.

think I'm gonna log off this cycle
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron

loaf angel

Postby Slamwich Artist » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:50 pm

chimp wrote:
dr. badvibes wrote:
Catullus wrote:Just popping in again to say that most of these shooters have no identifiable mental illness other than hatred/extremism (anger is not a mental illness)

i don't understand this, and if you or anyone else was willing to explain more i would be in their debt

anger isn't a mental illness, but there are millions of angry, racist extremists who restrict their violence to verbal/online abuse or voting for the party they know shares their angry racism. those individuals who are willing to convert their anger into the action of executing as many strangers as possible... why isn't that mental illness? to me it seems like there is a massive gulf between fantasizing (or even desiring others to action) physical violence vs. acting on that impulse

I think the term "mental illness" just doesn't really mean that much in these conversations. Like which one? Schizophrenia, mood disorders, personality disorders? I don't think many of these people have formal diagnoses of psychiatric problems and failing that the term "mental illness" can become just another way of saying "this person's actions are incomprehensible"

There are obviously multiple causes at work here, among which racism and gun access are the most important, but it doesn't really seem outlandish to say that better access to therapy and societal understanding of mental health more broadly would help prevent these kinds of incidents.
Haaaaa. The got me. I didn't know it was on Satire! Got it. Peeps got jokes. It's cool!

Slamwich Artist

Postby John plainman 4 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:53 pm

that's a reactive response, not proactive. you can't force someone consuming radical white nationalist content to go to therapy
John plainman 4

Postby whatabout tim » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:02 pm

Invoking mental health in these situations is such a waste. It’s a misguided scapegoat that will prevent any meaningful change.
tim

whatabout tim

Postby banquo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:06 pm

when people say "mental illness" they write this sort of thing off as not even bad apples, but more of that normal people would never do this. And then return to Cat's post that nearly all of these are NOT caused by people with diagnosable mental illness.

so yeah it's not outlandish to think better access to mental health treatment could help on a very small scale, but it's like saying if we had better access to mental health treatments then we'd have fewer traffic accidents-- except in a world where a lot of people believe that only mental health patients are causing all of the traffic accidents

banquo

Postby draw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:08 pm

would you also say suicide is not necessarily a mental health issue? if so then we're probably just arguing semantics at this point

draw

Postby John plainman 4 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:14 pm

draw wrote:would you also say suicide is not necessarily a mental health issue? if so then we're probably just arguing semantics at this point

yes, for the same reasons chimp wrote about above.
John plainman 4

Postby DasLofGang » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:16 pm

being surrounded by half a country's worth of people who approve of these things in favor of having to give up their baby toys can be pretty rough on a person's Mental Health
:) Laugh x 1

DasLofGang

Postby banquo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:17 pm

if we're saying that any form of physical harm against oneself or another is a mental health issue to be solved with better mental health treatment, then maybe there's some truth to that

if we're saying that these american gun rampages should be addressed by the nearest pyschiatrist preemptively then it's a very different thing

banquo

Postby whatabout tim » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:23 pm

If anyone is arguing banquo’s first point why are we the only nation with daily mass shootings? Every one has nationalism and access to the racist sounding board of the internet. Focusing on mental health in this instance is like focusing on mental health to lower car accident rates as mentioned above.
tim

whatabout tim

Postby whatabout tim » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Imagine if cops treated gun owners like they treat black people. At least the former are fundamentally dangerous.
tim

whatabout tim

Postby goofjan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:40 pm

in order to address these mass shootings in any significant way, the government would have to acknowledge, study, and fix massive problems with gun sales, healthcare, corporate media monopolies, the racial divide in the US, policing, and many more things. no one fix would completely do the trick (though taking all the guns would certainly help!!) anyway, there is not a single high ranking politician who has any meaningful interest in fixing any of those problems, let alone all of them, because they think it would undermine their own financial interests.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby jack » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:43 pm

wow

jack

Postby Bartatua » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:44 pm

that's incredible
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua

Postby sniplets » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:45 pm

Holy shit

sniplets

Postby super gas » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:45 pm

lol "you post on 8chan? it'll be $50,000."

super gas

Postby Shotfrog » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:46 pm

I do pay a high auto insurance premium due to my history of mowing down pedestrians.

Shotfrog

Postby draw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Because deprogramming US gun perverts and making 400 million guns disappear is lib fantasy and addressing our healthcare crisis is something we can start doing today. By all means keep talking about gun bans because that's the only way we gradually shift the overton window over the next 50 or 100 years but if we want to make the world safer in our lifetime we need to redouble our focus on the underlying psychological/sociological causes just like liberals/leftists are happy to do for just about any other social issue.

draw

Postby This Guy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Fuck gun btw

This Guy

Postby quinine » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:48 pm

thats a pretty mainstream democrat stance is it not
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself

quinine
ok

Postby tgk » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:50 pm

jack wrote:wow

tgk

Postby mcwop23 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:51 pm

can you poll negatively
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby whatabout tim » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:53 pm

draw wrote:Because deprogramming US gun perverts and making 400 million guns disappear is lib fantasy and addressing our healthcare crisis is something we can start doing today. By all means keep talking about gun bans because that's the only way we gradually shift the overton window over the next 50 or 100 years but if we want to make the world safer in our lifetime we need to redouble our focus on the underlying psychological/sociological causes just like liberals/leftists are happy to do for just about any other social issue.

The one thing the gun issue has going atm is the NRA basically imploding.
tim

whatabout tim

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Neil puts things in perspective per usual

WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby black mamba » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:00 pm

dr. badvibes wrote:
Catullus wrote:Just popping in again to say that most of these shooters have no identifiable mental illness other than hatred/extremism (anger is not a mental illness)

i don't understand this, and if you or anyone else was willing to explain more i would be in their debt

anger isn't a mental illness, but there are millions of angry, racist extremists who restrict their violence to verbal/online abuse or voting for the party they know shares their angry racism. those individuals who are willing to convert their anger into the action of executing as many strangers as possible... why isn't that mental illness? to me it seems like there is a massive gulf between fantasizing (or even desiring others to action) physical violence vs. acting on that impulse

their actions are the logical endpoint of an ideology, in this case the idea of 'white genocide'

black mamba
ok

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....