Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Lowercase Tea » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:22 pm

Feech La Manna wrote:I guess you could say asking for police to be less heavily armed will go nowhere until the rest of the populace is.

The problem there goes much deeper, though, for sure.

Yeah I doubt this too. The argument will be that only criminals have guns now and the rest of us are vulnerable.
Lowercase Tea

Postby John plainman 4 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:34 pm

it makes sense to me. they won't be so scared of the people they pull over, or when they enter a home, if there's a slim chance they're also armed
John plainman 4

Postby walt whitman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:38 pm

abolish guns abolish police

walt whitman

Postby iambic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:44 pm

grace cathedral park wrote:
Hal Jordan wrote:the point has been made many times before - a reduction in guns will reduce state sanctioned violence and murder by law enforcement, too.

I absolutely do not think this is true

yeah, I think Hal's argument assumes that as the population disarms, so too would the police demilitarize. the culture (i.e., white supremacy) of American law enforcement may make that impossible.

still, don't think we think enough about how American policing is inherently more paranoid because of widespread civilian access to firearms. just look at the insane, terrified ritual around routine traffic stops, all predicated on the idea that someone's going to grab a gun from the glovebox. police die by homicide at a lower rate than the general population, but you wouldn't know it thanks to centuries-long valorization of retributive and outlaw justice in American life and media, much of which came out of a stewing fear of restless natives and slave revolts.

it's a can of worms, as we've already seen itt, but I think one blind spot for American leftists is how closely their arguments about the inevitability of state violence are tangled up with the same self-preservationist urges and fears about state abuse that underpin gun rights' advocacy. cops suck shit everywhere, and policing is unjust and racist everywhere, but there are also countries where police-involved shootings are effectively nonexistent. ACAB, okay, but in many countries no one will die to one for years at a time.

iambic

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:22 pm

John plainman 4 wrote:it makes sense to me. they won't be so scared of the people they pull over, or when they enter a home, if there's a slim chance they're also armed

I'm fine if they just start treating registered gun owners like a bomb ready to go off, which is probably safer anyways.
tim

whatabout tim

Postby farmer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:24 pm

it's hard to say what policy changes would be effective when the other guys just live in pure fantasyland.
farmer

Postby tgk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:25 pm

when cops want to make throwing water on them a felony because "who knows it could be poison chemicals next time", getting rid of all the guns in the country won't stop their perceived victimization

tgk

Postby Link » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:25 pm

They're already parroting the Neil deGrasse Tyson tweet, he gave them the statistics they've always wanted and were sure existed but never wanted to take the time to Google.

Link

Postby sniplets » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:39 pm

Fucked that's probably the mean level of intelligence of someone brandishing a death machine.

sniplets

Postby snuggle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:41 pm

Thanks Neil DeGalaxybrain Tyson!

snuggle

Postby whatabout tim » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Remember when Tyson tried to prove deflategate but turns out he used the wrong units in a basic, bedrock equation? Dude is a dunce, I wonder what his 8chan name is.
tim

whatabout tim

Postby farmer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:52 pm

whatabout tim wrote:Remember when Tyson tried to prove deflategate but turns out he used the wrong units in a basic, bedrock equation? Dude is a dunce, I wonder what his 8chan name is.

this is a realllllllly pathetic post lol
farmer

Postby farmer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:55 pm

"this guy with a phd in astrophysics who mixed up the difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure during some twitter debate is a dunce yes i am very smart so much smarter than him"

yeeeeeeeesh dude. ndgt absolutely says dumb things i wish he wouldn't when he steps outside his expertise but the hard on for calling him stupid on hpn really smacks of the same intellectual jealousy that drives the magats to hate the intelligensia. "ah yes, this smart guy made a mistake once, therefore he is dumb and i am smart."
farmer

Postby blurst of times » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:56 pm

chandler wrote:still early but

glad it's a false alarm, but it's still fucked

fuck guns
Last edited by blurst of times on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blurst of times
thread skimmer

Postby tgk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:58 pm

tgk

Postby coop » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Harry Cherry

coop

Postby Cronos » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:01 pm

Guns are very close to banned in NYC and there are still lots of police shootings and police violence. Cops are also allowed to concealed carry and own guns in their homes that regular civilians cant. It will just create a new, tiered system for gun ownership in America.

Cronos

Postby blurst of times » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:03 pm

disarm police in tandem with banning civilian guns imo

blurst of times
thread skimmer

Postby Bob511 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Cronos wrote:Guns are very close to banned in NYC and there are still lots of police shootings and police violence.

New York state, whose numbers are presumably dominated by NYC, appears to be consistently near the bottom of officer-involved shootings per capita each year, by the WaPo's count (especially if you exclude states so empty one or two of them will always have zero in any given year).

There are all sorts of reasons to want better/cleaner data than just a comparison of those numbers and per-capita gun ownership, but if you squint enough there's possibly something to the relationship.
universe, you can't play the willfully ignorant, but partisan bleeding heart

Bob511

Postby brent » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:43 pm

farmer wrote:"this guy with a phd in astrophysics who mixed up the difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure during some twitter debate is a dunce yes i am very smart so much smarter than him"

yeeeeeeeesh dude. ndgt absolutely says dumb things i wish he wouldn't when he steps outside his expertise but the hard on for calling him stupid on hpn really smacks of the same intellectual jealousy that drives the magats to hate the intelligensia. "ah yes, this smart guy made a mistake once, therefore he is dumb and i am smart."

what are you doing

brent

Postby trouble » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:46 pm

farmer wrote:"this guy with a phd in astrophysics who mixed up the difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure during some twitter debate is a dunce yes i am very smart so much smarter than him"

you really dont have to stick your neck out for neil degrasse tyson
Now exclusively in Bland Mode.

trouble
thread skimmer

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:49 pm

farmer would you say ben carson, by all accounts a genius-level neurosurgeon, is an idiot

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby mcwop23 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:51 pm

it sucks that NDT was one of my heros growing up
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby soft milk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:54 pm

you're one of the stupidest people on the board
sarcastic mr. know-it-all

soft milk

Postby soft milk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:55 pm

"intellectual jealousy"

fuck you and your fucking intellect

soft milk

Postby surly » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:55 pm

simply love to stand up for the science sex pest
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby farmer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:58 pm

lol y'all are a real pathetic bunch
farmer

Postby trouble » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:00 pm

no ones keeping you here you antagonistic prick
Now exclusively in Bland Mode.

trouble
thread skimmer

Postby soft milk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:02 pm

i love how this narcissistic piece of shit is calling people pathetic and talking about "intellectual jealousy" to demonstrate his disgust for us stupid poor people.

soft milk

Postby soft milk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:02 pm

get lost in a corn maze, you fucking dickhead

soft milk

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....