Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby manvstrees » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:05 pm

that feeling is "i'm weak and scared all the time" and the fact that people are cool with advertising this always freaks me out
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.

manvstrees

Postby wolfie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:07 pm

But that's not how they feel with the gun, right?
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"
wolfie

Postby manvstrees » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:08 pm

no they still feel that way
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.

manvstrees

Postby wolfie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:09 pm

I don't think they do. I think they feel powerful, and statistics be damned that's what really matters.
אחד

wolfie

Postby wolfie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:09 pm

Or maybe they do, who knows I don't know anyone who Carrie's a gun
אחד

wolfie

Postby manvstrees » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:10 pm

that feeling of power doesn't put them at ease though right
i think they're still observing things at all times as if there might be trouble and also so that they can live out some fantasies
so yeah, scared little pissants (with power)

manvstrees

Postby joe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:19 pm

joe

Postby mcwop23 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:21 pm

it’s hard for me to shit on marginalized groups for feeling a need for having them

that being said i fucking hate them and even feel uneasy when i see a cop with one in their holster
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby manvstrees » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:27 pm

mcwop23 wrote:it’s hard for me to shit on marginalized groups for feeling a need for having them

i admit that i'm only shitting on the people who feel marginalized vs those who actually are

manvstrees

Postby marta » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:32 pm

it's not just anecdotal - it's my experience

marta

Postby super gas » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:02 am

mcwop23 wrote:it’s hard for me to shit on marginalized groups for feeling a need for having them

that being said i fucking hate them and even feel uneasy when i see a cop with one in their holster

every time i get on a crowded subway train and there is a cop on it and i see his gun i start to freeaaak the fuck out.

super gas

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:07 am

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Catullus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:52 am

People believe a lot of things that seem to make sense but the research doesn't bare out at all. The problem is confirmation bias. They go looking for information to support their side. I try as much as possible to do the opposite-form my opinion from research rather than have an opinion and look for evidence to prove it. But no one is immune to it. It's hardwired into the way our brains work. So if you've grown up around the idea that guns make you safer and that having one will prevent you from being a victim of a crime, you'll think that no matter what evidence is provided. Your feelings will always override that evidence. And since we can't study the issue in depth and widespread, there will never be the body of obvious evidence needed to push for reforms. That's what was needed for cigarettes to get regulated as much as they are. Firearms have a strong enough lobby that who knows if we'll ever be able to get the reforms that we both need and that a grand majority of people clearly want.
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby wolfie » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:19 am

fortunately people will start to come around as more and more of them get shot

maybe more guns really is the answer
אחד

wolfie

Postby wolfie » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:20 am

i dont' really mean all these horrible things i say

but man this world
אחד

wolfie

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:22 am

wolfie wrote:fortunately people will start to come around as more and more of them get shot

you're giving people way too much credit
You remind me of Don Knotts.

DasLofGang

Postby wolfie » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:23 am

DasLofGang wrote:
wolfie wrote:fortunately people will start to come around as more and more of them get shot

you're giving people way too much credit

it just hasn't touched people enough

you can turn off the tv. you can't turn off your family disappearing
אחד

wolfie

Postby wolfie » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:23 am

just ignore me seriously
אחד

wolfie

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:24 am

America is great at having a hand that is just smoking charred skeleton bone and being like "hmm some say this stove is hot but I'd better keep touching it to make absolutely sure"

DasLofGang

Postby iambic » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:41 am

super gas wrote:

every time i get on a crowded subway train and there is a cop on it and i see his gun i start to freeaaak the fuck out.

yeah, and it's insane-feeling, as a craven euro immigrant, to articulate how bizarro and frightening it is to see a gun in public. or just to be in a society that, to its bones, thinks of violence as necessary, inevitable, and even ennobling (if you're the one doing it)

it's like americans just grew up in this poison gas, hacking up their lungs everywhere, act like having blood and lung chunks everywhere is unavoidable, and all the while shout about the need to add more poison gas to drive out the bad poison gas

iambic

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:47 am

but one must admit, we look pretty badass holding the poison gas sideways

DasLofGang

Postby chandler » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:53 am

Police in Europe more often carry guns than not unless my eyes are mistaken
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?

chandler

Postby iambic » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am

varies by country. in Ireland and the UK, they don't carry. I didn't see a gun in person until I was 9 and visited portugal on holiday

tbf, my reaction was probably "cool!"

iambic

Postby chandler » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:55 am

I feel like that's ancient history though (not carrying by default)
i've been getting really into pestcest too lately. haven't really been able to find much good ant stuff, though. anybody have any links to some good biting vids/pics?

chandler

Postby Catullus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 am

chandler wrote:I feel like that's ancient history though (not carrying by default)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_firearm_use_by_country
opi wrote:like i don't think it's possible for catullus to be duplicitous, whereas pretty much every other poster at the time struck me as having one foot in shinra

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby Catullus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:50 am

Not a contradiction just an interesting set of data.

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby iambic » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:54 am

Catullus wrote:
chandler wrote:I feel like that's ancient history though (not carrying by default)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_firearm_use_by_country

Since 1916, New Zealand Police have used lethal force 40 times.

whoa

iambic

Postby chandler » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:54 am

It seems like it's only in Ireland and England that they don't carry, the majority of European countries do based on some quick reading and also my experience. Also it should be noted that even where they don't carry, as in England, it is common to send a gun carrying officer when responding to a public safety issue

I'm just pointing out that it's not really accurate to day that police don't carry in Europe

Fuck guns, basically

chandler

Postby Catullus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 am

Yeah most carry in specific circumstances, but most places they have protocol that require you to do several steps before discharging. And as you can see, in many places despite having guns the police fire them very rarely and very few people are killed by police.

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby Catullus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:05 am

Like a Tamir Rice would be impossible in so many of these countries. Just carrying a weapon by itself in so many places isn't even enough to draw your weapon let alone fire a warning shot. The inevitable 'BuT tHe Us Is DiFfErEnT' makes no sense. It isn't different in any meaningful way except we don't have any uniform standards for training police on deescalation and when it's proper to discharge or draw a weapon, we don't hold police accountable when they do, and we don't keep any good data on how often it happens and where and when so we can't do any meaningful studies to counteract it.

THANKS NRA!

Catullus
Our McGonagall

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....