Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Robo-Chachi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Is there caloric benefits in switching from beer to something like gin & tonic?

Robo-Chachi

Postby freestamp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:18 pm

I've been on a diet since the new year, so 3 weeks now, and I've probably lost at least 4-5 pounds since. Basically, I just eat 1000 calories a day and no more, but I'll eat whatever I want. Mostly that means a lot of protein shakes and turkey sandwiches with hot sauce, stuff that is high protein, which I gravitate too because trying to still eat real food on only 1000 calories a day doesn't go far with pasta and high fat/sugar stuff.

I've had pizza at least 7 or 8 times this month though all while sticking to this diet, including making an entire pizza for myself that I calculated down to the calorie to come to 940 total and I ate it all, and that was my food for the day. It's all about quantity control.

The diet was awful for about 3 days and then I just got used to it and now I don't even think about it and that's how much I eat. Once I hit my target weight, I'll bump it up a little, but I can't eat like I used to. I just hope the weight loss doesn't stop, since I only want to lose maybe another 5 and be done.

freestamp

Postby freestamp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 pm

Robo-Chachi wrote:Is there caloric benefits in switching from beer to something like gin & tonic?

Switch to gin and soda. Tonic has a lot of calories and sugar. I do gin and sodas with lime, or rum and diet coke, which is relatively ok. Just avoid mixers with calories like regular sodas and juice.

Really though, not drinking is the right choice.

freestamp

Postby idyllbergh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 pm

freestamp wrote:I've been on a diet since the new year, so 3 weeks now, and I've probably lost at least 4-5 pounds since. Basically, I just eat 1000 calories a day and no more, but I'll eat whatever I want. Mostly that means a lot of protein shakes and turkey sandwiches with hot sauce, stuff that is high protein, which I gravitate too because trying to still eat real food on only 1000 calories a day doesn't go far with pasta and high fat/sugar stuff.

I've had pizza at least 7 or 8 times this month though all while sticking to this diet, including making an entire pizza for myself that I calculated down to the calorie to come to 940 total and I ate it all, and that was my food for the day. It's all about quantity control.

The diet was awful for about 3 days and then I just got used to it and now I don't even think about it and that's how much I eat. Once I hit my target weight, I'll bump it up a little, but I can't eat like I used to. I just hope the weight loss doesn't stop, since I only want to lose maybe another 5 and be done.

sounds like a great way to slow down your metabolism and/or become nutrient deficient

idyllbergh

Postby Robo-Chachi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm

No way I'm giving up drinking...or pizza.

When I said tonic, I guess I just meant soda water. I thought they were the same thing.

Robo-Chachi

Postby an otter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:26 pm

typically beer has twice the calorie count as hard liquor, and typically you drink far more beer than you do hard liquor. plus as freepstamp said it's the mixers that'll get you with liquor. anything sugary will add on the calories and fatten you up pretty quick.

drinking hard liquor was the only thing i wasn't willing to give up with my glucose diet and even then i had to give up whiskey sours which i fucking love so much. but i learned how to make sours with artificial sweetener which you'd think would taste fucking awful but they're all right, so i got to keep the sours.

an otter

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Yeah I'm in the "just eat what you want and set a calorie ceiling" camp. If avoiding cheese for a week would turn me into Ryan Reynolds I still wouldn't bother.

Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby freestamp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:27 pm

idyllbergh wrote:
sounds like a great way to slow down your metabolism and/or become nutrient deficient

I never said this was permanent, but I eat everything: veggies, lean meats, grains, and dairy, as well as taking a multivitamin. I'm willing to bet on 1000 calories a day I get more nutrients than some of the people hanging out in the broceries thread, or people who only eat super lean proteins and veggies. I also eat this in about 5 portions over the day, and aside from the pizza incident, never in one sitting. Overall, I'm still losing weight, and will slowly increase it to a reasonable level in the coming weeks after a few more pounds.

freestamp

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:27 pm

I eat so much cheese. Anyway I probably average 2 good beers and a bourbon per night and am 6'0, 145 lbs. Can't imagine what would happen if I cut out the drinking.
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

VHGisdead

Postby Shost » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm

clown wrote:
Merciel wrote:Think I'm gonna stick with eating potatoes and cheese and looking/feeling mostly pretty good, thanks.

what purpose are comments like these supposed to serve? what about someone who can't stick with eating those things and looking/feeling mostly pretty good?

congratulations on being blessed with a high metabolism/genetics that predispose you to not gaining weight from eating unhealthy. I am truly, sincerely jealous.

it just seems like a response to the labeling of cheese and potatoes as being fundamentally bad for you

i've been trying to write out a better response to this but i think this is very much an eat-to-live vs. live-to-eat argument and it's hard for me to get past that

Shost

Postby gold and glass » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm

I don't actually have any idea what I'm doing but starting to work out a few weeks ago has basically changed my life
fuck you and your corporation

gold and glass
ok

Postby wendy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm

This is all very convincing

wendy

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 pm

an otter wrote:typically beer has twice the calorie count as hard liquor, and typically you drink far more beer than you do hard liquor. plus as freepstamp said it's the mixers that'll get you with liquor. anything sugary will add on the calories and fatten you up pretty quick.

drinking hard liquor was the only thing i wasn't willing to give up with my glucose diet and even then i had to give up whiskey sours which i fucking love so much. but i learned how to make sours with artificial sweetener which you'd think would taste fucking awful but they're all right, so i got to keep the sours.

I went through a period last year where I was trying to stop drinking so many IPAs so I just replaced them with whiskey but any caloric benefit I got from that was not worth being drunker like every night of the week

VHGisdead

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:33 pm

take up rock climbing, that's the answer

VHGisdead

Postby an otter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 pm

i love being drunker every night of the week

edit: to SVC's post above about just sticking to a calorie ceiling, that's fine for general weight, but that's not going to keep all the starch and cheese from clogging arteries. cutting out bad foods it's as much health and lifespan as it is about looks, but this should all go without saying.
Last edited by an otter on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

an otter

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Shost wrote:
clown wrote:
Merciel wrote:Think I'm gonna stick with eating potatoes and cheese and looking/feeling mostly pretty good, thanks.

what purpose are comments like these supposed to serve? what about someone who can't stick with eating those things and looking/feeling mostly pretty good?

congratulations on being blessed with a high metabolism/genetics that predispose you to not gaining weight from eating unhealthy. I am truly, sincerely jealous.

it just seems like a response to the labeling of cheese and potatoes as being fundamentally bad for you

i've been trying to write out a better response to this but i think this is very much an eat-to-live vs. live-to-eat argument and it's hard for me to get past that

Yes, she isn't saying anything about her metabolism, she's talking about the shape of her indifference curve.

I will now cede the floor to Robo-Chachi.

Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby waldojeffers1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:36 pm

well you just gotta weigh your priorities

in the short term I would rather quit cheese and continue drinking beer, but if I'm thinking about the overall course of my life the thought of living it without cheese is more depressing than the thought of living it without beer
oh no someone save us
waldojeffers1

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:37 pm

WHISKEY HACK: Brush your teeth then sip straight bourbon for that mint julep taste you love but don't have time to handcraft

VHGisdead

Postby waldojeffers1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:37 pm

I literally lived years on fried potatoes like five times a week

I lost like 20 lbs because I wasn't eating anything else really and was sick a lot

I therefore conclude potatoes aren't so bad for you
Last edited by waldojeffers1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oh no someone save us
waldojeffers1

Postby Robo-Chachi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:37 pm

From here on out, I'm a Gin Rickey man!

Robo-Chachi

Postby someguy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 pm

merciel is gonna shove a wheel of cheese down clown's fucking throat
apologies

someguy
ok

Postby The Dirty Turtle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 pm

yea im doing only whiskey waters for 4 months, goodbye sweet sweet beer

The Dirty Turtle
ok

Postby Robo-Chachi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Watch out, TDT. You might get drunker. You might like it.

Robo-Chachi

Postby Durham » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 pm

gold and glass wrote:I don't actually have any idea what I'm doing but starting to work out a few weeks ago has basically changed my life

How hard are you pushing yourself
Like real hard or just kinda hard
Right now I'm going just kinda hard and I'm worried I might be wasting my time

Durham

Postby waldojeffers1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:40 pm

even just doing 30 pushups every morning before you jump in the shower makes such a difference

even when you're still chain-smoking and eating garbage
oh no someone save us
waldojeffers1

Postby Durham » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:41 pm

basically I want someone to beat the hell out of me and then I wake up looking like a muscly man

Durham

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 pm

don't do pushups you jags just drink my toothpaste juleps and you'll look like a man in no time

VHGisdead

Postby Robo-Chachi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Give her a break already. Merciel is addicted to cheesy potatoes. As a child, Merciel ate other foods. But cheesey potatoes soon became her favorite.

Robo-Chachi

Postby waldojeffers1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:44 pm

what's the hipinion consensus on resistance bands
oh no someone save us
waldojeffers1

Postby Robo-Chachi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Like white power bands?

Robo-Chachi

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....