Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Celiac » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:45 pm

I’ve gotten into nice men’s league soccer shape but have not worked out by upper body in weeks. Just the way I like it
mcwop23 wrote:i love my team (the knicks)

Celiac

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:55 pm

i downloaded 5 strength books off soulseek today, want to make an effort to increase strength by 10-20% before 2020, probably wont be easy with an injured hand.

my main problems with strength programs are that they're mostly barbell based, require lengthy between set rest times, and have to wear knee sleeves and things. i hate all that and don't have the best mobility like in shoulders for it

might approach it through more of like how strongmen train, lifting unconventional things. already been doing lots of farmer's walks and overhead presses for a while. want to get into throwing heavy things
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby BlackSugar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:59 pm

I have the same issue. my gym has no barbells and the dumbbells top out at 50 lbs. we do have a cable machine but it's pretty limited. I've had to get creative and also realize that I'm only gonna get so far with what's available. which is fine really
I come like a thousand doves

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby scornyorno » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:07 pm

odilon redon wrote:is there any other dumbbell chest exercise i could do on an incline bench other than press and flys? i want to add a third for a circuit sequence

Maybe this is redundant but you could do an arnold press and chest press on the incline

scornyorno

Postby BlackSugar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:14 pm

odilon redon wrote:is there any other dumbbell chest exercise i could do on an incline bench other than press and flys? i want to add a third for a circuit sequence

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/straight-arm-dumbbell-pullover

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby BlackSugar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:16 pm

also, I like to throw in a heavy pushup day where I'll do reg pushups, declines (feet on bench, hands on floor), inclines (feet on floor, hands on bench), triangle pushups for triceps, and whatever it's called where you go down for a regular pushup but then shift left to right back and forth

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:23 pm

like a typewriter pushup?
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:27 pm

you can take that diamond close grip and push down with it on the assisted pullup/dip machine, just stand in front of it, hits tris pretty good and you can play with the weight
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby BlackSugar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:31 pm

Brouhaha wrote:like a typewriter pushup?

I just googled that. it looks like you return to the straight-arm position after you've done your side-to-side. I usually drop down and do 6 back and forths and then go back up.

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:41 pm

scornyorno wrote:

Maybe this is redundant but you could do an arnold press and chest press on the incline

arnold press would benefit you more and give you a greater rom when done seated or standing.
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:44 pm

BlackSugar wrote:
Brouhaha wrote:like a typewriter pushup?

I just googled that. it looks like you return to the straight-arm position after you've done your side-to-side. I usually drop down and do 6 back and forths and then go back up.

that's an archer pushup when you return

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw56EiZYvm8
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby whatabout tim » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Aren't arnold presses almost exclusively shoulders? Figured he wanted something to hit the chest.
tim

whatabout tim

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:58 pm

delts, tris, and serratus
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:11 pm

i have no idea what any of these exercises are other than pushups and like i guess incline and decline pushups
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:13 pm

i started a pushups and planks routine

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby virile » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 pm

took the day off work yesterday so i decided to check out a free trial kickboxing class at adrenaline mma. it was a motherfucker of a cardio workout, more than anything i've done at the gym/with my PT so far. even crazier than that half hour HIIT class i did on the weekend. i was the only out of shape dude there so i wasn't terribly embarrassed that i was falling a bit behind (my jump rope needs some work, i'm just jumping up and down like an asshole while everyone else is like switching up feet and fuckin with their rope technique i was novice as hell) learned a combo with jab and a cross and an uppercut and got to kick a dude in a big leg pad for a few minutes after he crippled my leg for 3 minutes (i asked how long he'd been doing it and he's 5 years in.. and the sound the pad made when he kicked my leg was proof) i honestly held up pretty good those first two minutes but eventually those really hurt! i also learned about holding the gloves to your face so you're not punching yourself. all kinds of fun lessons! then by the end the warmdown is like do 30 pushups, 30 situps and 30 tucks! i was so dead by the time i finished my pushups everyone was already on tucks and by the time i got to tucks everyone was heading out. i ended up doing 15 before i was like yeah i think another class wants to start here.. i could've finished those other 15 though just woulda taken a few more minutes! i want to go back in and try again because it really was fun and utterly exhausting. i woulda gone back today but..

regularly scheduled session with trainer this morning! standard warmup / started with alternating lunges on the smith machine with a barbell on my shoulders. now that we're past all the basics and we're past bodyweight stuff i really feel like i'm a dude utilizing a gym! then we did banded pushups into a super set with like the two handed dumbbell deal of overhead presses (flex your lats on the motion when you hit the top!) i dunno why but the banded pushups were even harder than the 30 i did yesterday but isn't it supposed to be easier? i dunno maybe i was just beat up from yesterday. then we did a new one the farmer's walk holding dumbbells. she did a good job of making sure i didn't speed up at the end each time because that is tempting as all heck. 4 sets of those with 30 lb bells each hand. then as my arms were good and cooked we did a super set with battle ropes and plank in and outs (like plank position bringing out one leg at a time) and then finally we finished with another new one dead bugs. after the initial nonsense of me being an uncoordinated dork who can't figure out right hand left leg at the same time. but once i did my abs got worked out and then stretching and sauna like a big boy!

after these last couple days though i am cooked.

virile

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:07 pm

when you gonna do that zumba class?
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby virile » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:16 pm

oh i guess i could do that on sunday! it's just that i was doing yoga and i tried that HIIT class on sunday instead and i never got around to zumba but maybe on sunday!

virile

Postby mancubz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:22 pm

I did this stupid Pilates class Tuesday and my body is still so sore
It makes it hard to tell when I’m full because it already hurts and I can’t tell which pain is which
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:51 pm

I hinted at this in an earlier post but I'm 36 and just entered a gym for the first time in my life.

I have/had significant anxiety about going in and not having a fucking clue what to do when I'm in there, but my body is breaking down and I need this. So I signed up and took up the offer of the free 30 minute assessment, stating my inexperience and requesting instructions & a loose routine guide. The dude spoke for 15 of those about his failed rugby career, then showed me core & back exercises, that I already do most days despite telling him I am familiar with them. The last two minutes he threw me on the leg press machine giving a brief explanation on how the sliding seat works and then bailing.

It was my nightmare introduction to a gym, but I have to keep reminding myself that I'll try and find excuses not to go back, so I'm going late tonight after watching some youtube videos and some rough guides. If you don't hear from me by tomorrow, I'm trapped under a machine I could never control.

Reliable Tradesman

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:54 pm

you got this

late night is pretty chill at most places

and yeah you can learn form on pretty anything on youtube
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby virile » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Reliable Tradesman wrote:I hinted at this in an earlier post but I'm 36 and just entered a gym for the first time in my life.

I have/had significant anxiety about going in and not having a fucking clue what to do when I'm in there, but my body is breaking down and I need this. So I signed up and took up the offer of the free 30 minute assessment, stating my inexperience and requesting instructions & a loose routine guide. The dude spoke for 15 of those about his failed rugby career, then showed me core & back exercises, that I already do most days despite telling him I am familiar with them. The last two minutes he threw me on the leg press machine giving a brief explanation on how the sliding seat works and then bailing.

It was my nightmare introduction to a gym, but I have to keep reminding myself that I'll try and find excuses not to go back, so I'm going late tonight after watching some youtube videos and some rough guides. If you don't hear from me by tomorrow, I'm trapped under a machine I could never control.

hey dude this has been my exact situation the last couple months (although i don't turn 36 until november) but yeah this was my first time since like grade school even doing anything athletic at all. never been to a gym before. coupled with just a general anxiety about going places anyway it's been really hard to go solo but i've been able to a few times. are you able to afford a trainer at all? (to be honest, i can't.. but i'm sacrificing some other stuff to pay for it for now) i've found it is SUPER motivating and keeps me accountable to show up. keep checking this thread and updating it has been a real source of motivation as well!

virile

Postby BlackSugar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:08 pm

hey rt, I agree, you can totally do this. the first time is intimidating as hell but after a couple visits, you'll feel more comfortable in the space, you'll know where things are, it'll be ok. just start slowly and ease into it. when I come back from a long gym break, I start super easy, like riding the stationary bike for 15 minutes and maybe lifting some 20lb weights for 10 minutes, just to get things stirring. go light and easy to start out. then it becomes almost like a game because in the following days, you slowly build from there and you can do a little more each time and that keeps you going back to the gym

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:11 pm

Yeah I can afford a PT and I have requested one, but I won't be able to book that in until next week.

But I'm motivated now, so I'm just going to get in there and just do something to build confidence.

Reliable Tradesman

Postby virile » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:11 pm

also i dunno if your hangup is the same as mine (just feel like everyone would be staring at me, realizing i have no idea what i'm doing, etc.) and i can tell you just from a couple months this was basically completely unwarranted (doesn't mean i'm not still completely steeped in this feeling) but everyone there is really just doing their own thing and for the most part they're super friendly. haven't encountered one dickhead yet.

virile

Postby Sissy Spacerock » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:11 pm

move in space in intuitive ways that feel good to you to attain somatic self-knowledge

fuck a gym

https://aeon.co/essays/the-interoceptiv ... f-selfhood
ʸᴼᵁ ᵀᴴᴵᴺᴷ ʸᴼᵁ ᴷᴺᴼᵂ ᴹᴱ

Sissy Spacerock

Postby Debbie » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:27 pm

I ate A LOT of carbs today

Debbie

Postby mancubz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 pm

yeah i fucked up some rice today! i just fucking love rice
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby Debbie » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:11 pm

That's fitness food

Debbie

Postby Debbie » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:11 pm

All my meals were noodles today

Debbie

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....