Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby virile » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:40 am

hey calm down there mr already in shape for the summer!
mercenaries of slime wrote:or i can just post what i want

virile

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:49 am

by this time next year i'll be 100 lbs

Happy and Healthy!

Postby warmjets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:56 am

So i am dumb and don't know these things but what is the best lifting strategy for muscle mass? I always thought it was aiming for sets of 5 reps. But is that more for strength? Should I be lifting lighter weights and doing like 20 reps?

warmjets

Postby warmjets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:59 am

My lazy ass lifting regimen is blasting Dookie on my earbuds and just lifting random shit until I feel like "that's about enough of that" and go home

warmjets

Postby odilon redon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:37 pm

warmjets wrote:So i am dumb and don't know these things but what is the best lifting strategy for muscle mass? I always thought it was aiming for sets of 5 reps. But is that more for strength? Should I be lifting lighter weights and doing like 20 reps?

the full body compound movements (bench press, military press, deadlift, squat, kettleball swing, pull ups, dips, pushups) most reward your effort and are the most efficient way to put on well proportioned muscle mass, so center your routine around those rather than muscle isolating stuff like bicep curls. look up youtubes or whatever to make sure you have the proper form and never lift more than what you can lift with perfect form, as long as you do this you won’t injure yourself. honestly i don’t think the specific number of reps/sets matters all that much as long as you’re fatiguing your muscles enough. do a rep/set range and rest time in between your sets that feel most challenging to you while maintaining your form.

that being said the best routine is one you can do consistently

odilon redon

Postby warmjets » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:57 pm

Thanks that is helpful. I use my small apartment gym and it doesn't have everything but I can do most of what you listed there.

warmjets

Postby odilon redon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:29 pm

yeah no problem. make sure you switch it up in terms of weight, rest time and/or set and rep ranges when something starts feeling too easy. if you’re doing this the right way it’ll never be easy ( :twisted: )

odilon redon

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:34 pm

if going for mass, gotta up the calories on top of the lifting

and if there's certain muscles that are underdeveloped or you just want to emphasize, you'd do more things that work those. if want big developed arms, you would indeed do tons of curl variations and also tricep work
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:00 pm

just got back from lifting and made a shake with this shit i bought and its like all hyper foamy, what the FUCK. i'm gonna return it

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:01 pm

how could Simple Truth do me so wrong

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby Mr Spaceship » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:37 pm

I have a lot of trouble maintaining muscle mass. I gained about ~15lbs last spring and lost it all around September. I meant to slim down a little but it basically just vanished. I do feel considerably leaner now however.

Mr Spaceship

Postby Mr Spaceship » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:38 pm

deadlifts are my sh*t

I do them once a week, my form looks great and I've gotten a lot stronger. Highly recommend this exercise.

Mr Spaceship

Postby mcwop23 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:41 pm

that powder looks weird unless you’re getting like vegan powder or something just get a normal brand
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby odilon redon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:52 pm

Mr Spaceship wrote:I have a lot of trouble maintaining muscle mass. I gained about ~15lbs last spring and lost it all around September. I meant to slim down a little but it basically just vanished. I do feel considerably leaner now however.

this might not be applicable to you but this is why i’m generally anti-bulk and cut

odilon redon

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:53 pm

Ah yes vegan whey

Happy and Healthy!

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:53 pm

But yeah ON Whey every time

Happy and Healthy!

Postby OLD SAINT RIXX » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 am

Ahhhhhh i am so sore

I lifted the past two days after mostly doing just cardio all of 2019. I’m a sore man. I cannot fully extend my arms, in fact my angle of extension is roughly equal to C3P0s, I’ve had to walk around with my arms like this all day. I’m gonna keep it going with legs tomorrow

OLD SAINT RIXX

Postby warmjets » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:10 am

lol

warmjets

Postby Chyet » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:39 am

recently i tried to do an "easy" initial run of a 5X5 @ 135 for squats after as also initial upper body run. I was def suffering but felt good to have done it.

I racked out and grabbed a basketball, idea being I dribble around and have fun and keep my heart rate up.

I do that for 20 minutes, tell myself good job, do 10 more minutes for the glory. "back in the gym baby!"

and as I'm picking up my stuff some young 20 yr old challenges me to 21.

My muscles are off to f'n begin with so for the first half of the game (12-2) I mostly play defense because all my shots are spaghetti armed and airballs. I saved grace and made a couple lay ups he could stop and 2 threes. 12-21. He wanted to go again but i needed to throw up
ad astra per alia porci/death from a dove/and hell is dark

Chyet

Postby honeypie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:23 am

finally getting into being a fitness sociopath.

i've done some distance running in the past but never attempted any weight training so all this diet/routine is very new to me. i'm looking for some advice because the self help guru/aspirational con artist aspect that seems to follow this stuff around makes it hard to find reliable info online

thus far i've just been doing at home kettle bell routines and taking my final reps pretty much to the point of failure (this is about a 30m daily work out + some light cardio afterwards). i bought some vegan protein shake and have been tracking my macro's to the best of my ability.

i'm taking this pretty seriously and plan on being one of those before/after picture reddit dudes in 6-12 months so i have a few questions:

is this type of workout enough or should i be hitting the gym and doing weight training there (and if so, is there a gym routine i can follow as a beginner)?

should be i super neurotic in calculating my macro's or can i just be happy with getting a bunch of protein?

is it ok to train 6/7 days a week or are rest days genuinely valuable apart from preserving your mentality?

e: also if anyone has any good resources and doesn't feel like answering these questions directly feel free to point me in that direction

honeypie

Postby Brouhaha » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:19 am

what's your current body type and what is your primary focus? like put on weight/muscle or just lose weight? what you'll do varies off that

if eating around 2500 calories with some healthy stuff in there, you're probably already meeting your macros. i never really need to track it. if you're cutting or bulking, focus on tracking the calories. myfitnesspal app is decent enough

gym is the way to go for most. can join a basic cheap one though. for routine, can search around for beginners ones. lot of us have gotten good results with push/pull/legs split, look that up
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:29 am

rest days are important, that's when the muscles grow. some people just work like one muscle a day though, so those can go daily but that's unnecessary unless you're trying to do a physique competition or some shit
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby honeypie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:48 am

i'm about 5'7 135lbs with very little muscle definition. i want to add some muscle but i have a little anxiety about caloric surplus from being an overweight kid and losing it/keeping it off with minor fluctuations in the ~12 years since.

i'm really only doing this for aesthetic/confidence purposes. i already lead a pretty healthy lifestyle and have zero interest in building strength/hitting number goals aside from it being a natural byproduct from exercising.

the p/p/l thing was something i found in my cursory search and seems like it may be the way to go, can it be assumed that any of those routines i find through google will be relatively comparable?

honeypie

Postby Brouhaha » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:23 am

if that's the case, I'd do mostly just weights, high reps and sets. 12-20 reps moderate weight, don't go to failure, rest 1-2 min between each set. start around 3-4 sets per lift/machine, after like a month or two you can bump it to 4-6 sets.

eat a caloric surplus, not really something to concern yourself with on gaining too much weight, your bmi is low so as long as you're lifting regularly you won't get much fat on you, mostly muscle. can start to tweak cals a little once get to 145-150lbs. for now just have fun with it. limit cardio to just like 15 min for it's non weight loss benefits

most p/p/l routines are fairly similar
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby chowder julius » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:51 am

i have to take mucinex d every day until forever? for allergy-induced vertigo and man it's the best appetite suppressant ever. should have gotten into eca stacking forever ago. i'm averaging like 1300 calories a day so far in 2020 and that's with compelling myself to eat just for the sake of eating, not because i'm hungry. i've lost the holiday weight already. i'm sure i'll reach some kind of equilibrium soon but i guess i'll ride this wave as far as it takes me

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby The Emperor's Son » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:24 pm

honeypie wrote:finally getting into being a fitness sociopath.

i've done some distance running in the past but never attempted any weight training so all this diet/routine is very new to me. i'm looking for some advice because the self help guru/aspirational con artist aspect that seems to follow this stuff around makes it hard to find reliable info online

thus far i've just been doing at home kettle bell routines and taking my final reps pretty much to the point of failure (this is about a 30m daily work out + some light cardio afterwards). i bought some vegan protein shake and have been tracking my macro's to the best of my ability.

i'm taking this pretty seriously and plan on being one of those before/after picture reddit dudes in 6-12 months so i have a few questions:

is this type of workout enough or should i be hitting the gym and doing weight training there (and if so, is there a gym routine i can follow as a beginner)?

should be i super neurotic in calculating my macro's or can i just be happy with getting a bunch of protein?

is it ok to train 6/7 days a week or are rest days genuinely valuable apart from preserving your mentality?

e: also if anyone has any good resources and doesn't feel like answering these questions directly feel free to point me in that direction

depends on the look you want and how much resistance you'll be able to progress on with just kettle bells (if they cap at like 25 lbs, than probably not much)

you'll def drop weight and tighten up with what you're doing to look different than how you started.

but if you want to have fuller, larger muscles across a balanced physique (an "aesthetic" or physique model look), then I'd suggest a weight training program like PPL or dogcrapp that emphasizes building strength and mass through compound lifts. if you have the patience/luxury, I'd stick with it for about 6 mo. until the movements get more comfortable and your progress is steady and then move on to a routine w/ more volume like PPL for the next 6 mo. to accelerate gains.

but that's all to say the biggest factor, for either case, will always be diet. it's responsible for 75% of the outcome. in the former, as long as you're eating at your maintenance (called TDEE, which you can calculate online) or below, you'll see results; but for the more dramatic transformation of the latter, you'll need to make sure you're eating enough during the strength and mass building (at least TDEE or a surplus of 250-500 cals above) and then monitor a deficit if you're goal is an aesthetic appearance w/ low body fat.

The Emperor's Son

Postby The Emperor's Son » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:29 pm

this is a pretty good resource to explore different weight training programs

http://www.rohitnair.net/pp/#muscle_gai ... tics/split

The Emperor's Son

Postby Happy and Healthy! » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:32 pm

i love that people still have to write dogcrapp in 2020

Happy and Healthy!

Postby The Emperor's Son » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:37 pm

honestly same

The Emperor's Son

Postby galactagogue » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:55 pm

finally started to exercise and it's nice that being consistent (lifting 4x/ wk running 2x/wk for the last few weeks) is already making me feel great and much more tone/capable.

my big problem now is diet? i can't really afford to eat a ton more food but i am ... always hungry now. And I don't wanna throw off my progress by eating like shit all of a sudden :/

so i guess my Q is what are like THE major tips anyone would make for just maintaining the right nutrition? i know i can google this and i have, but im curious about the HPN take. I'm not looking to look any particular way, just feel tone and energized for now.
Bob511 wrote:It's important to remember, though, that California has more psychologists than any other state.

galactagogue

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....