Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:39 pm

what's your primary goal? gain strength, lose/gain weight, maintenance, put on muscle? how you workout varies based off that.
Last edited by Brouhaha on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby john plainman 2 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:06 pm

villalobos wrote:I've been getting in shape and doing arms/chest/shoulders one day then core/legs the next and resting on like the 4th or 5th day and it seems to be working pretty well (huge visual difference), but I'm starting to wonder if I should just do full body every other day

like, I do pallof presses and I'm wondering if the shoulder tension is ruining my shoulders' rest, stuff like that

john plainman 2 wrote:Im trying to learn some basics of weightlifting so I stop wasting my time at the gym and this one thing is stressing squats, benching, and deadlifting as essential for strength training and... I can't handle thst route. can I just avoid free weights and actually make progress with weight machines and body resistance exercises?

get some resistance bands, i got these and they're great

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWSPQQY/

only cable exercise i can't really do in my room are lat pulldowns (door frame is too short) but i guess you can bend over and do em horizontally though it feels weird

this site's cool, got diagrams and explanations of all kinds of stuff you can do with em
https://weighttraining.guide/exercises/cable-face-pull/
https://weighttraining.guide/exercises/ ... cable-row/

thanks for this. i work from home so this is actually something i can do from my office

john plainman 2

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:21 pm

john plainman 2 wrote:Im trying to learn some basics of weightlifting so I stop wasting my time at the gym and this one thing is stressing squats, benching, and deadlifting as essential for strength training and... I can't handle thst route. can I just avoid free weights and actually make progress with weight machines and body resistance exercises?

out of those, I think squats are the only compound that is good to struggle and build form and strength on.

it's an uncomfortable movement. even downright dreadful. but it's crucial to building a durable foundation and humbling and thicccccness.

dumbbells are better for bench movements and I don't see a lot of good reasons to go heavy on deads at for anyone ever really (I'm fortunate to not have had any major injuries from my days when they were in rotation). better compounds for both chest and back are dips and pull-ups, both which are more functional and safer to add resistance to.

The Emperor's Son

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:22 pm

but do squats

there's a well of strength that you're able to tap that you'll never know until you progress correctly on them that'll be helpful for like standing up for yourself of not psyching yourself out before jumping into cold water.

The Emperor's Son

Postby john plainman 2 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:23 pm

i almost did one full pull up on sunday, got about halfway and was able to hold it for 5 seconds :twisted:

john plainman 2

Postby john plainman 2 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:28 pm

so should i just start with just the squat movements and not worry about adding resistance? i wish i had a machine sensor that just gave me direct feedback on form. i could do a trainer session but they all seem bad/lazy at my gym

john plainman 2

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:29 pm

john plainman 2 wrote:so should i just start with just the squat movements and not worry about adding resistance? i wish i had a machine sensor that just gave me direct feedback on form. i could do a trainer session but they all seem bad/lazy at my gym

yeah, start w/ the bar. there are tons of resources/videos about form but i may have one bookmarked in a browser I use at home

The Emperor's Son

Postby marble » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:34 pm

john plainman 2 wrote:i almost did one full pull up on sunday, got about halfway and was able to hold it for 5 seconds :twisted:

get a resistance band and use that to take a bit of the weight off. that way you can practice with full ROM. i found negatives generally unhelpful at getting my first pull up even though that's what everyone recommends

marble

Postby john plainman 2 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:36 pm

what does "negatives" mean?

edit: oh, i see. wow there's a lot of exercises :ryan:

john plainman 2

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:42 pm

and squats don't have to involve a heavy barbell, i avoid the bar because i don't have good shoulder mobility and can't maintain great form when doing it even moderately heavy. i use the hack squat machine a lot. also like doing squats with two dumbbells by my sides or goblets with like the heaviest one there.

I'm more a fan of the deadlift and its variations but agree that going heavy regularly without having a belt and a good amount of proper training on it isn't the way to go. seldom see people at the gym dl with optimal form.

I ditched the whole leg day concept this year, found walking with great soreness the next day or two to be counter productive. i only hit the gym 3x now and incorporate legs each time but it's mostly moderate weight leg press, box jumps, kb swings, stairclimber, incline treadmill walking/jogging, jump roping, spin bike with decent resistance, sled pushing, wall sits. various leg machines, wall balls, farmer's walks, rowing
Last edited by Brouhaha on Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:45 pm

bodyweight squats are also pretty good, can knock out like 15-30 anytime/anywhere. can pause at the bottom for 5-10 seconds for an added challenge

same with lunges
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:54 pm

to do more pullups:

do however many you can do even if just a half rep, then quickly add an assistance band and try to crank out a few more reps.

do a lot of inverted rows, can use a smith machine bar to vary the height difficulty. can also quickly switch to rows from pullups if dont have an assistance band

also just hanging on the bar for as long as you can at the top and bottom position helps, especially after your last rep

they say the assistance pull up machine doesn't have much crossover to real ones but it did help mine
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby odilon redon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:57 pm

tes is giving out great advice. i’m a kettleball goblet squat kinda guy

odilon redon

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:46 pm

I stopped eating half a bag of cashews everyday and lost 24 lbs

maybe I'll also cut out my daily 9p triple chocolate cake slice
make it mild

weird opinions

Brouhaha

Postby mcwop23 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:14 pm

i stopped doing squats mainly because my knees make the worst noises

i sometimes do machine squats tho with low weight/high reps
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby sympathy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:44 pm

The Emperor's Son wrote:

dumbbells are better for bench movements and I don't see a lot of good reasons to go heavy on deads at for anyone ever really (I'm fortunate to not have had any major injuries from my days when they were in rotation

Whats “heavy”?

sympathy
ok

Postby Puerto Rican Vegan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:44 am

sympathy wrote:
The Emperor's Son wrote:

dumbbells are better for bench movements and I don't see a lot of good reasons to go heavy on deads at for anyone ever really (I'm fortunate to not have had any major injuries from my days when they were in rotation

Whats “heavy”?

anything that causes you to have improper form

Puerto Rican Vegan

Postby Puerto Rican Vegan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:44 am

that's just in general though i've never done a deadlift in my life

Puerto Rican Vegan

Postby Debbie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:49 am

I have only hurt myself on deadlifts and dumbbell curls

Debbie

Postby odilon redon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:11 am

don't like doing low rep heavy lifting at all nowadays, i feel like it's not really conducive to good looking functional muscle in most cases and the risk of injury isn't at all worth the bulky look that lifting that way will give you anyway

odilon redon

Postby sympathy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:55 pm

sympathy
ok

Postby odilon redon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:59 am

etiquette question: is there a polite way to ask someone to make less noise when they workout? theres this lady who's a regular at my gym who grunts with every rep loud enough to be heard clear across the gym and it's really distracting from my getting hella shredded. i feel like its a matter of common courtesy to not be doing something like that

odilon redon

Postby warmjets » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:08 am

No

warmjets

Postby warmjets » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:08 am

that's like half the people in the gym btw

warmjets

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 am

grunting isn’t as annoying as people who sing along to the music because i constantly think they’re asking me something when they’re not but i also don’t want to ignore them like an asshole
wendy wrote:

mcwop23

Postby odilon redon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:22 am

warmjets wrote:that's like half the people in the gym btw

i realize most people aren't silent but this person is ridiculously loud even by that standard

odilon redon

Postby Debbie » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:59 am

loud grunting/screaming is just shit behavior everyone understands there will be grunts or whatever

Debbie

Postby odilon redon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:15 am

thanks debbie

odilon redon

Postby warmjets » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:21 am

I get super annoyed with just about everyone in the gym btw. I've learned to ignore the grunters

warmjets

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:23 am

just don’t do dumbbell flies directly in front of the rack blocking like 20 other dumbbells

or leave your contraband on 4 different machines while you circuit train
wendy wrote:

mcwop23

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....