Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Ersaph » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:33 am

Climbing is definitely fun and a good work-out.

I haven't done it since I was twelve, though.
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.
Ersaph

Postby Ersaph » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:51 am

Mister E wrote:Ersaph it got a lot harder and is a way better workout now that you're not 80lbs.

Actually I think I weighed more as a 12 year old than I do now
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.
Ersaph

Postby foxriver » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:31 pm

Spotlight Kid wrote:Yeah, I've stopped going to gyms before because the community aspect is lacking. Obviously it takes some time to actually get into the groove of it, get "in" but still, people should cheer you on regardless.

Foxriver, I'm gonna be in San Francisco in May probably, doing a climbing trip up the west coast and stopping through after Yosemite. If you'd be down to show me and some buddies decent local climbing areas, I'd be psyched.

climbing mt diablo tomorrow
http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/Nort ... t__Diablo/

i'm excited to show you the bay area locations
i haven't been too impressed with top roping here (except for beaver street). bouldering has been awesome though. glen park (sf), indian rock (berkeley), and turtle rock (tiberon) are great for bouldering. tiberon was a little scary though...quite a bit of highball bouldering problems, but it's great. REALLY excited for mt diablo.
foxriver

Postby foxriver » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:52 pm

outside is the shit
foxriver

Postby foxriver » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 am

Spotlight Kid wrote:Yeah, I've stopped going to gyms before because the community aspect is lacking. Obviously it takes some time to actually get into the groove of it, get "in" but still, people should cheer you on regardless.

Foxriver, I'm gonna be in San Francisco in May probably, doing a climbing trip up the west coast and stopping through after Yosemite. If you'd be down to show me and some buddies decent local climbing areas, I'd be psyched.

when are you coming
foxriver

Postby blogger status » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm

this chick i just met climbs

her climber friend died on satuday

fell 50'

bounced for another 40

not sure where
ROCK LIFE EVERY NIGHT
blogger status
gotta have some faith in the sound

Postby blogger status » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:31 pm

chick is foinnnnnnn
ROCK LIFE EVERY NIGHT
blogger status
gotta have some faith in the sound

Postby skittish » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:38 pm

mister e you seem like a pretty xtreme guy what with your bike tricks and climbing
skittish

Postby Spotlight Kid » Sat May 01, 2010 10:06 am

foxriver wrote:

when are you coming

Trip got cancelled, actually. I got injured, my friend didn't get the job he thought he was going to, and a bunch of us need summer classes.

Next time!

I tried to sport climb the other day and got shut down leading 5.11a

Shit is hard.
shark week wrote:She even asked me what we should do about heroin last night. END THE DRUG WAR, mom.
Spotlight Kid

Postby foxriver » Sun May 02, 2010 11:58 am

bummer. next time you are in town let me know.

I went bouldering at Mickey's beach and Stinson beach in the north bay for the first time yesterday. We went kind of late so decided not to set up top rope. i did pretty well, but we had to set the mat on top of rocks which kind of freaked me out. There were also routes over the water...now those were fun. it was cold falling in the ocean, and i hope i didn't ruin my shoes. totally worth it.
Last edited by foxriver on Sun May 02, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foxriver

Postby foxriver » Sun May 02, 2010 11:59 am

and by the time you visit i will know all the rocks in the bay area :)
foxriver

Postby pho » Sun May 02, 2010 12:00 pm

i learned how to belay two weeks ago, but the friend i went with doesn't want to go as often as i do. how do you find climbing partners?
pho

Postby foxriver » Sun May 02, 2010 12:10 pm

i just met people in the gym. had a couple climbing partners, but our schedules didn't really match or i didn't enjoy their company. i found two people who are great (one at my level and one experienced). all three of us go three times a week and outdoors on weekends. we've been climbing together for about 7 months. things eventually developed into friendships, and i spend most of my time with them.
foxriver

Postby pho » Sun May 02, 2010 12:15 pm

man. i dunno how to go about meeting strangers at the gym

i think it's probably easier for gals
pho

Postby foxriver » Sun May 02, 2010 2:23 pm

the people at my gym aren't like that. they seem to be really serious about what they are doing. i went to a different gym a couple weekends ago in the presidio and there were some douchebags. they did have a fantastic bouldering area though.
foxriver

Postby something sensible if » Sun May 02, 2010 2:37 pm

I love climbing the wall at our gym. I also like to climb back and fourth across the wall after one of my regular workouts to annihilate my forearms.

If you just climb and don't do anything else, though, you might get fat.
something sensible if

Postby Spotlight Kid » Sun May 02, 2010 3:15 pm

I just climb and don't do anything else except yoga like once every month or so and I eat like shit, and I am nowhere near fat.

An hour of sustained climbing burns 800 calories. And you get ripped.
shark week wrote:She even asked me what we should do about heroin last night. END THE DRUG WAR, mom.
Spotlight Kid

Postby something sensible if » Sun May 02, 2010 3:17 pm

An hour of sustained climbing will probably be impossible for a few months unless you're already in fantastic shape

My heart probably never gets above 140bpm during a climb. I've never climbed outdoors, though.
something sensible if

Postby something sensible if » Sun May 02, 2010 3:24 pm

I mean props to you if you can climb for an hour straight but that's pretty intense
something sensible if

Postby Spotlight Kid » Sun May 02, 2010 3:53 pm

I don't think anyone climbs for an hour straight, outside of like, endurance training in the gym, which is incredibly boring. But like, a day of climbing, for me at least is usually something like this, for me at least.

30 minutes to 2 hours of hiking to get to the boulders/routes, with a pad or backpack weighing between 20 and 50 pounds.
6+ hours outside, hiking between rocks, maybe doing 10-20 burns on any given climb. Each burn is between 30 seconds and 2 minutes. Probably get on 10 climbs.
Eat two sandwiches and a power bar.
Hike out, 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Sometimes I'm doing all this at like 10,000 feet. Never at less than 6,000, really.

If you're doing that kinda shit on the regular, you're not gonna get fat.
Spotlight Kid

Postby something sensible if » Sun May 02, 2010 3:56 pm

if you're doing that shit on the regular you don't have a job
something sensible if

Postby Spotlight Kid » Sun May 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Even in the gym, if you're figuring I dunno a 2 hour sesh, figure you spend a little more than half that time actually on the wall, assuming you're decently psyched and not flash pumping yourself too fast. Just because you're not actually working yourself for an hour straight doesn't mean all the moves aren't going to add up. Plus add in the pull-ups, crunches, and push ups that you should be doing at the end of every gym sesh to build strength for next time, and you're just not going to get fat.

My buddy climbs V11, doesn't do any other exercise, is 6'1, and weighs 150 lbs. He eats like a fucking horse, too.
Spotlight Kid

Postby Spotlight Kid » Sun May 02, 2010 3:58 pm

Mofuckn Chapstick wrote:if you're doing that shit on the regular you don't have a job

Leave class at noon, drive 40 minutes to the climbing area, climb till it starts to get dark at like 7:30/8, drive home, eat dinner, do homework, get drunk. Repeat.

Also, weekends exist, and living in CO I have some of the best climbing in the country about an hour away.
Spotlight Kid

Postby pho » Sun May 02, 2010 4:04 pm

if you're just moving outdoors for 7 hours a day, then you're not going to get fat
pho

Postby foxriver » Mon May 03, 2010 10:54 am

Mofuckn Chapstick wrote:if you're doing that shit on the regular you don't have a job

dude.

i work full time. climb from 7pm-10pm. saturdays or sundays spend a full day somewhere in the bay area top roping and/or bouldering. we usually buy a six pack and drink three beers and end the day eating at some restaurant and pass out by 10pm. i even incorporate climbing at work. four of the parents at my school enrolled their children into a rock climbing gym (i talk about it too much and the parent community is pretty close).

just bought a slack line too :)
foxriver

Postby foxriver » Mon May 03, 2010 10:57 am

Spotlight Kid wrote:=

My buddy climbs V11, doesn't do any other exercise, is 6'1, and weighs 150 lbs. He eats like a fucking horse, too.

the eating thing has become a problem. after i started climbing i began eating like a horse as well. i eat half of what i used to a month ago, and trying to eat healthier too.
foxriver

Postby thornhill » Mon May 03, 2010 4:41 pm

foxriver wrote:just bought a slack line too :)

I recently got one, too. Pretty frustrating at first to watch someone jump right on with no problem, while I'd be struggling to just stand still. It's a lot of fun and I'm starting to get better at it, but man, I used to think I had pretty good balance...
thornhill

Postby Spotlight Kid » Mon May 03, 2010 9:01 pm

I honestly just don't "get" slacklining. I'm sure it's a cool thing to be good at, but my school is so overpopulated by crunchy granola bros that I hate the idea.

Went bouldering today, repeated a 4, a 5, and 7 that I really love. Getting strong again.
Spotlight Kid

Postby staple » Mon May 03, 2010 11:36 pm

i've been bouldering like 5 or 6 times very sporadically, i can still only do VBs, V0s and the occasional V1.
does not want to say hipinion in a court of law
staple

Postby Chubs » Mon May 03, 2010 11:42 pm

my girl loves to boulder, and yea it is a great work out and a fun time, but the only problem i have with it is that her hands get all calloused and that no good for blow jobs
Chubs

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....