You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Chubs » Mon May 03, 2010 11:43 pm

edit: hand jobs
Chubs

Postby staple » Mon May 03, 2010 11:43 pm

your girlfriend has executed an elaborate hoax regarding the nature of blow jobs
does not want to say hipinion in a court of law
staple

Postby staple » Mon May 03, 2010 11:44 pm

damn your edits
does not want to say hipinion in a court of law
staple

Postby Spotlight Kid » Tue May 04, 2010 10:00 am

Handjobs are fucking retarded anyway, though, so fuck em.

There was a period where I almost had to stop jerking off because the skin on my hands was so rough that I was cutting or chaffing my dick like constantly. That sucked, but my skin was so good I could yard on tiny granite crimps, so can't really complain.
shark week wrote:She even asked me what we should do about heroin last night. END THE DRUG WAR, mom.
Spotlight Kid

Postby Chubs » Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 am

pretty much 9 out of 10 times a girl is gonna touch your dick with their hand while having sex
Chubs

Postby Spotlight Kid » Sat May 08, 2010 11:22 am

Went bouldering by the Sheep's Nose yesterday, got on a really cool 4, 5, and 7. Didn't send any of them, but the 7 was awesome, had to use this burly finger lock and heel hook to come into this sketchy crimp ledge, then match before busting out to this super sharp 1/16th pad crimper.

The important part though is that we hiked 5 pounds of beef, a grill, and a keg into the crag, and got all drunk and full after a day of climbing shit. One of the best days of climbing ever, definitely gonna be repeating that experience. Plus I wanna send that 7, it was fucking sick.
shark week wrote:She even asked me what we should do about heroin last night. END THE DRUG WAR, mom.
Spotlight Kid

Postby mikey » Sat May 22, 2010 10:04 am

are there any opinions on harness brands?

or shoes
mikey
Voldemort

Postby intheyarbles » Sat May 22, 2010 11:39 am

mikey wrote:are there any opinions on harness brands?

or shoes

Lot of options for harnesses. To be honest, I don't think you'll find much difference to recommend one over another.

Shoes, however, check out the La Sportiva Mythos. They are on the pricey side ($130) and if you're not sure you're going to get a lot of use out of them, they may not be worth it. But the comfort, the durability, and versatility are all unparalleled. I have a buddy who worked at a higher end outdoor store that re-soles climbing shoes, and he said that the number of mythos that they resoled outnumbered all other brand/types combined. Other shoes when the toe blows out or the soles wear out, you just toss em and get a diff pair, but you can't do that with the mythos. They are like a second skin. so fucking comfortable.
intheyarbles

Postby IRZ » Sun May 23, 2010 9:05 pm

Went with some friends this weekend to Penitente Canyon in the San Luis valley. Did some easy routes and watch my climbing friends do some crazy hard ones. Camping was crazy since it was howling wind the whole time and made it hard to sleep. Hiked up the Great Sand Dunes on our way back to Denver, which was awesome except for the 30mph sand-blaster wind. Felt like I was in Lawrence of Arabia.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ken Jennings: @PaulMcCartney would you tell my friend Greg that Rocky Raccoon is just an Old West guy w/ a nickname, not a giant anthropomorphic raccoon
IRZ

Postby mikey » Fri May 28, 2010 11:17 pm

shit, why the fuck is anyone eating while belaying
mikey
Voldemort

Postby Spotlight Kid » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:54 am

Dude why the fuck was she eating in the gym anyway?

Honestly don't do anything with this girl ever, if she is finna drop you on belay she's not worth your time.

Mikey, if you haven't gotten shoes yet, be sure to consider what you're going to be doing in them before buying. There's a lot of options in climbing shoes, and different things work better for different types of climbs. Velcro vs Laces is the first thing to consider, generally. If you're doing more bouldering, having the convenience of being able to take your shoes on and off quickly between burns is pretty clutch, especially if you're wearing more aggressive shoes. Laces will give you a more precise fit however, and if you can stand to have them on your feet longer it's a good call.

Next step is the aggressiveness of the shoe. For bouldering, especially anything over V5, I like a more downturned toe and a tighter fit. They're painful, but they focus a lot of pressure into the big toe, letting you stand on tiny edges, and the heel cup is absurd. I don't sport climb that much, but again, generally a less aggressive lace up shoe is better. People do sport climb in aggressive shoes, but less often, and usually only for short, bouldery climbs, or if they're doing really hard stuff.

Finally, different companies fit different feet better. Sportiva tends to work better on a narrower foot, for example, while 5.10 sizes down less and fits a bit wider, with a sort of strange heel cup. I can't really speak to Evolv, because I've only worn one of their shoes, but I doubt I'd bother with anything that wasn't from one of the big 3 brands. Also, make sure to look into how much the shoes stretch. I wear a 10 street shoe, and my climbing shoes range between 8.5-10.5, depending on the brand.

I have three pairs I alternate between, a pair of Team 5.10's for hard bouldering outside, an old pair of La Sportiva Testarosa's I wear for sport climbing and hard bouldering in the gym, and a pair of 5.10 Moccasyms I use for everything else. I think I'm going to return the Mocs to REI for cash and get a pair of 5.10 5x's though, it's almost the same shoe but the velcro strap and zipper make it more versatile than the straight slipper.

Try a bunch of stuff on. Figure out what fits your foot best. If you find a shoe you like at REI, get it there, the 100% return thing is rad for something you need to replace as much as climbing shoes. For suggestions, I like Evolv's Defy as an intro level bouldering shoe, the 5.10 Anasazi as a slightly aggressive sport/bouldering all around shoe that can double as a trad slipper, and the La Sportiva Katana as a good mid level bouldering shoe. If you want to go harder, the Sportiva Solutions and Testarosa's, the 5.10 Dragons and Team 5.10, and the Evolv Optimus Prime all fucking shred. The 5.10 5X is a good starter shoe to consider though, it's great all around with a decent amount of finesse for edging, and the strap and zipper mean you can even heel hook pretty well.

Just too many words about shoes, if you care.
Spotlight Kid

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:07 am

i got a pair of defy's from eastern mountain sports.
mikey
Voldemort

Postby Spotlight Kid » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:57 am

I put up a Hangboard, which is awesome for training, but now I'm more psyched on getting my one-arm down than actually sending shit.
Spotlight Kid

Postby foxriver » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:34 pm

pretty solid on .11As. going tonight. went to legion's barbecue and people were commenting on my pipes :(
foxriver

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:41 pm

nice.

has anyone used climbfind.com? i've been trying to use it find new partners. it's sort of weird though.
mikey
Voldemort

Postby foxriver » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:43 pm

yeah i'm on it. i haven't used it to find a climbing partner yet. I need a new one though, my current one is really involved with work and will be in portland every other weekend. i also prefer having a female climbing partner.
foxriver

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:49 pm

the guy who made it climbs at the gym that i do, and he only comments on female climber posts.
mikey
Voldemort

Postby Spotlight Kid » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Muscles develop faster than tendons. You're about at the point that I was when I injured a pulley in my right hand and had to take two months off. Injuries chronic at this point, pretty much never climb without pain. Be careful with those things
Spotlight Kid

Postby themightycronin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:00 pm

In regards to the tendon, one of the only things you can do is rest it. It is an extremely poor decision to keep climbing with a tweaked tendon because it can lead to further more drastic injuries. If you do climb, climb stuff that is 2-3 grades below your maximum level and stay away from anything that activates the injured tendon
themightycronin

Postby Spotlight Kid » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:19 pm

You can also take some supplements and stuff that allegedly aid healing if you buy that sort of thing.

I take ginger pills(natural anti-inflammatory) and MSM powder(super hippie shit) and I feel like Glucosamine would work too. Icing has also been suggested to me before, 5 minutes on 5 minutes off, which stimulates blood flow, thereby promoting healing. Never done it though, for some reason. Good taping is also helpful, you wanna support above and below the injured pulley, and possibly tape the injured finger to the uninjured one next to it.

I'd take like a week or two off, see how you feel, then climb easy shit without tape, maybe, maybe moving to harder shit with open grips if it feels okay. Climbing will also stimulate blood flow and promote healing, so it's not actually a bad thing to do as long as you are careful.

And for god's sake stay off the campus board.
Spotlight Kid

Postby Spotlight Kid » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:12 pm

Went outside today, just to the shitty ultra choss sandstone spot like 10 minutes from my house, but fuck today felt good. Repeated a V4,5,6, and 7 that I really like, and did some pretty promising burns on this fucked up V9 dyno that I've been working for three years. I think I might make that my summer project, just gotta up my dynamic movement steeze in a big way. Tendons didn't even hurt that much!
Spotlight Kid

Postby IRZ » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Went to the climbing gym yesterday and had my soul destroyed by some 5.8's. I get up fairly well then my arms just die and I can't even hold on anymore. My buddies meanwhile are doing 5.11's. I'm such a stooge.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ken Jennings: @PaulMcCartney would you tell my friend Greg that Rocky Raccoon is just an Old West guy w/ a nickname, not a giant anthropomorphic raccoon
IRZ

Postby IRZ » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:20 pm

foxriver wrote:pretty solid on .11As. going tonight. went to legion's barbecue and people were commenting on my pipes :(

i read this post like 2-3 times thinking to myself: "I didn't know pissy climbed."
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IRZ

Postby foxriver » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:27 am

going climbing in tahoe july 4th weekend! set up camp and three days of bouldering and top rope.
foxriver

Postby Spotlight Kid » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Went to Mt. Evans this past weekend, got on a bunch of climbs but only ended up sending a V5 I'd been working on for about a year. Almost sent a megaclassic 6 but bitched out at the top, which again, I've been doing for about a year.

I'm really frustrated with climbing right now, trying to get back to the level I was at last summer seems pointless since I'm about to go to Greece and not be able to boulder at all. I need some kind of motivation to get me going again and I'm having trouble finding it. Mostly I just wanna drink beers.
Spotlight Kid

Postby foxriver » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:47 am

since the sun is out later we're all going to top rope outside in the city thursday (new people i climb with). this weekend my old climbing partner is taking me out to rocks along the ocean in the north bay. the tide was too high last time, so we kept falling in the ocean. fucked up my shoes.
foxriver

Postby IRZ » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:13 pm

A guy I work with and have gone climbing with a little bit (he's way, way better than I am) was climbing yesterday right next to a guy who fell 80 feet to his death. He said that the guy fell, had two pieces of gear come out and his rope snapped. Apparently they were climbing pretty tough sandstone. They got down to the guy and watched him die. Pretty crazy. He's pretty shook up about it. Said he might not do any more trad climbing for a while and stick to sport. Sucks.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IRZ

Postby IRZ » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:34 pm

Went to the climbing gym today.

My fore arms are fuuuuucked
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IRZ

Postby foxriver » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:53 am

i ran into a girl in san francisco at beaver street wall in sf who was from minneapolis. come to find out we graduated the same year and went to the same junior high school in the suburbs. she has been climbing for three years. so we went to mt diablo yesterday and climbed for 8 hours. she's crazy good. i invited her to my tahoe trip over july 4th weekend.
foxriver

Postby Spotlight Kid » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:00 pm

Onsighted 5.10c at the gym yesterday.
Spotlight Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....