Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby gazedo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:10 pm

brittle wrote:i'm into this climbing stuff in a big way.

just wait until your rock climbing friends start making fun of your cycling habits for making your leg too heavy.

gazedo

Postby concerning » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:54 pm

brittle wrote:i wasn't feeling great today so i went to the gym with just intention of climbing all the easy problems, and focusing on being smooth and quiet with my feet, but when i made it to the last wall, i discovered they had reset everything so i got excited and forgot about my plans and ended up actually FLASHING two V4's.

hell yeah, i'm into this climbing stuff in a big way.

hell yeah dude. that’s a great feeling.

concerning

Postby something sensible if » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:56 pm

weird feeling to start going to the climbing gym and it's like a hangout club for people who all appear to be JUST LIKE ME. i wish i was more social. anyway i have damn ass tennis elbow so i gotta probably take a month off or more. sux because i was rapidly improving at bouldering, which of course the quick progression is why i have tennis elbow.
something sensible if

Postby brittle » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:52 pm

Feeling that.

I re injured a mtb injury in my shoulder stretching last week and can barely lift my arm over my head six days later. So much for getting good fast.

brittle

Postby brittle » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:58 pm

Definitely like my climbing pals better than my bike pals.

The climbers I fell in with are surprisingly more health-conscious than the cyclists. but I guess it makes sense; they're both super physically demanding, but you can't cheat climbing with expensive equipment, and cheeky pack tactics like you can with bikes, so it's more of a lifestyle.

brittle

Postby something sensible if » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:43 pm

I have been carefully doing all of the recommended strength exercises to prevent tendinitis and it seems to be working. I can’t bear stopping for a month or however long so I just force myself to take a least 2 days off in between sessions and stop well before I’d like to. Also being mindful of what I’m doing that’s putting excessive strain on that arm has probably not been bad for my technique. Long as there’s no pain I assume I’m safe but idk maybe I’m going to destroy my body
something sensible if

Postby dvr » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:58 pm

something sensible if wrote:weird feeling to start going to the climbing gym and it's like a hangout club for people who all appear to be JUST LIKE ME. i wish i was more social. anyway i have damn ass tennis elbow so i gotta probably take a month off or more. sux because i was rapidly improving at bouldering, which of course the quick progression is why i have tennis elbow.

One of my attempts to get into climbing this happened to me :/ I ended up taking a few months off and when I came back (easing into it) it was fine. A few months stinks though.. do crunches? Learn rope systems?

dvr

Postby dvr » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:03 am

You could also goto the gym when it's least busy and traverse trying to use as little hands as possible. I've heard of people holding tennis balls and using that to 'grab' the wall

dvr

Postby something sensible if » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:18 am

Yeah in addition to not climbing very long or going very hard I’m being selective about the routes I’m climbing. But if I sense I’m never going to be able to climb longer or harder without aggravating it then I will undoubtedly have to stop for a few months. Just terrible to think about having to do that but that’s how it is sometimes
something sensible if

Postby VHGisdead » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:21 am

I think I'm gonna stop going to my NYC area climbing gym for a while bc of disease concerns. Anybody here ever boulder in Central Park?
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.

VHGisdead

Postby gazedo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:47 am

VHGisdead wrote:I think I'm gonna stop going to my NYC area climbing gym for a while bc of disease concerns. Anybody here ever boulder in Central Park?

i have tried yoyo jiminy in central park. the manhattan schist is truely fantastic rock for climbing. just wish there was more of it that outcropped in the park.

i have always thought climbing gyms are probably terrible disease vectors, but yeah, this is the first time i have considered doing something about that. i went into the gym last night, which was the monthly $5 day pass ladies night and it was EMPTY.

anyway, annual ski trip to Whistler is this weekend. looks like a second year in a row of unicorn squamish conditions. in the 40s and dry. and all of seattle is too afraid to go anywhere right now so hopefully the crag isn't very busy.

gazedo

Postby VHGisdead » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 am

I messaged my gym today asking them to suspend my membership. Ordered a tension hangboard board too

VHGisdead

Postby gazedo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:12 pm

i just ordered $250 of tension grips to build a hangboard / campus zone on my porch. at this point i don't really see climbing gyms being a thing again in 2020.

gazedo

Postby VHGisdead » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:14 pm

I ordered a tension board

my gym has asked patrons to consider keeping their memberships going and I haven't officially cancelled yet but my money is not going to keep them from going out of business so I should probably just cut the cord

VHGisdead

Postby brittle » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:52 am

Lol

I also bought a hangboard Tuesday

Can't even do a pull-up so, who knows what good it'll do, but whatever.

brittle

Postby something sensible if » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:43 pm

This break is gonna be great for my injuries, at least. I've got resistance bands at home so just gonna do that and body weight exercises to prepare myself for when i'm allowed back into the world.
something sensible if

Postby gazedo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:12 pm

brittle wrote:Lol

if you have weights at home, buy a pulley that you can mount underneath the board then attach a rope to your harness, run it through the pulley, then attach weights to the other side to remove weight. as you train the pull-up and it becomes easier, remove weight progressively until you can do one at body weight.

if you don't weights at home, you can also buy a theraband and tie a loop at the bottom and fix it to something and use that to remove weight as you train.

gazedo

Postby gazedo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:59 pm

was going to build a little training box but got lazy and just mounted things to the carport. pretty happy with it though. can definitely keep some fitness this way. hope everyone is finding ways to stay at least a bit active.

gazedo

Postby new blood, » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:40 pm

thats sick gazedo :shock: at those pinches on the overhang

I bought one of these things:

i just need somewhere to hang it though. I hope craigslist is flooded with unwanted pull up bars soon, cause they're sold out everywhere
i was just going to suggest that maybe everybody should cool out maybe

new blood,
ok

Postby gazedo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:43 am

new blood, wrote:thats sick gazedo :shock: at those pinches on the overhang

yeah the lower set of little pinches on that overhang ended up being a bit too hard. i need to use a pulley system to subtract about 15 pounds to hang them. but its nice to have something to work up towards. probably be doing this train at home thing for a while.

gazedo

Postby draw » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 am

brittle wrote:Lol

do negative pullups

draw

Postby VHGisdead » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:48 am

how's everyone's front lever coming

VHGisdead

Postby gazedo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:41 pm

VHGisdead wrote:how's everyone's front lever coming

shit.

gazedo

Postby gazedo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:41 pm

these huber bro movies are good watches if anyone needs some free entertainment.

http://vimeo.com/401260555

http://vimeo.com/405736089

gazedo

Postby gazedo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:53 am

i've been going absolutely crazy on old guidebooks. i have bought 21 since stay-at-home started in mid-march.

gazedo

Postby draw » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:39 pm

hopefully none of you are bouldering on the side of a residential building with a crashpad next to a busy intersection like I saw a couple attempting to do the other day

draw

Postby VHGisdead » Mon May 18, 2020 11:43 pm

buddy of mine manages a gym that is preparing to reopen illegally, with a plan to just do it til they get shut down. He and a bunch of staff are pissed off and going to quit. The owners are telling everyone that they've been told they can reopen if they're comfortable doing so but this seems be a lie.

VHGisdead

Postby gazedo » Tue May 19, 2020 3:08 pm

My gym is (legally) re-opening in one week (May 26th). Arizona is truly the wild west. The state level government is run by idiots. I am definitely not going back into an environment that is purposefully dirty and filled with communal surfaces we all have to touch. From a fitness/sanity perspective, hangboarding at home and getting outside to off the radar local spots has worked pretty well for me.

gazedo

Postby VHGisdead » Tue May 19, 2020 3:44 pm

I don't even think fitness gyms should be open in most places but beyond that I can't help but feel like climbing gyms are kind of sneaking by on their "gym" status. It is impossible to implement the types of sanitation protocols that are being recommended or required at typical gyms and the type of activity that happens in them seems to be pretty bad from a disease prevention perspective. Maybe the tall airy gyms are somewhat safer at least.

VHGisdead

Postby new blood, » Tue May 19, 2020 3:58 pm

gyms should start giving out liquid chalk and have dispensers of it

not really for covid 19, I doubt it would make a difference, but it would be frikkin sweet
i was just going to suggest that maybe everybody should cool out maybe

new blood,
ok

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....