Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby something sensible if » Tue May 19, 2020 4:10 pm

given that it seems obvious covid can be airborne i am amazed we're opening gyms up lol but yeah i'll prob give up in a few months and get a climbing membership if we haven't completely opened up by then
something sensible if

Postby gazedo » Tue May 19, 2020 4:10 pm

VHGisdead wrote:I don't even think fitness gyms should be open in most places but beyond that I can't help but feel like climbing gyms are kind of sneaking by on their "gym" status. It is impossible to implement the types of sanitation protocols that are being recommended or required at typical gyms and the type of activity that happens in them seems to be pretty bad from a disease prevention perspective.

100% agree. honestly, it is bordering on idiotic to think a climbing gym could avoid becoming a vector for spread (at least in the vast, vast majority of places in our country right now).

gazedo

Postby brittle » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:48 pm

So, my gym is open (found out when they charged me for June last week). They're known as the progressive, inclusive, everything-positive gym, so I figured if anyone could open safely it'd be them.

They only allow 20 people at a time for a two hour block, three times a day, and then sanitize in between. You have to sanitize any time you move from problem to problem and of course, masks 100% of the time.

It felt safer than a grocery store.

But after spending the last three months doing Hangboards and push-ups, I'm officially a MUCH better climber than I was in March. I flashed everything up to the v5s and found myself being about to do tough, slow reaches on moves that I would have just swatted at and prayed last time I climbed.

If felt so fucking good.

Also people were talking to me about beta and move names and a bunch of other shit I didn't have any clue about, so I must have looked p legit.

brittle

Postby gazedo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:54 pm

brittle wrote:So, my gym is open (found out when they charged me for June last week). They're known as the progressive, inclusive, everything-positive gym, so I figured if anyone could open safely it'd be them.

They only allow 20 people at a time for a two hour block, three times a day, and then sanitize in between. You have to sanitize any time you move from problem to problem and of course, masks 100% of the time.

It felt safer than a grocery store.

But after spending the last three months doing Hangboards and push-ups, I'm officially a MUCH better climber than I was in March. I flashed everything up to the v5s and found myself being about to do tough, slow reaches on moves that I would have just swatted at and prayed last time I climbed.

If felt so fucking good.

Also people were talking to me about beta and move names and a bunch of other shit I didn't have any clue about, so I must have looked p legit.

glad you are able to get some proper climbing in and have it feel safe.

as the situation rapidly deteriorates here in Arizona, it is more and more wild to me that the climbing gym is open and lets people do things like climb without a mask on.

gazedo

Postby brittle » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Yeah, anytime you leave Denver City limits people are straight up malignant about doing their part, but where I live and recreate, it feels same as it ever was.

I'd probably go crazy if I wasn't surrounded by serious, good-intentioned people.

brittle

Postby gazedo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:33 pm

brittle wrote:I'd probably go crazy if I wasn't surrounded by serious, good-intentioned people.

Pretty much anytime I leave the house to do things like grocery shop or curbside pickup, I feel like I am going crazy. Like everyone else is in some alternative reality that I am not aware of. Fortunately my co-workers are all being great about things and we are able to make occasional trips to work for essential tasks to keep things moving. But we are all still at home 95% of the time. Having at least a few other people you know take things seriously noticeably helps with the mental health.

My other big mental health thing is I have still been going outside regularly. Been climbing with one friend occasionally who I know is also being careful, otherwise just been climbing by myself. Lots of climbing in northern Arizona that does not have any publicly available information so it is actually very easy to avoid people. I don't even worry about other people touching holds when I am not there since I haven't seen another climber (besides my one friend) at the rocks in the last three months. I think I would actually be going insane if I never left the house to climb.

gazedo

Postby gazedo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:38 pm

brittle wrote:But after spending the last three months doing Hangboards and push-ups, I'm officially a MUCH better climber than I was in March.

I am also somehow climbing better than I have for years. Even though my alcohol consumption has gone up and I spend the majority of my time at home snacking, I have somehow lost weight in stay-at-home. The only thing I can think of is not commuting 100+ miles a week on my bike has made me lose lower body muscle.

I am actually not sure I ever need to return to commercial gyms, at least to the world where I am paying for an annual membership somewhere. I might just commit to outside climbing + occasional hangboarding.

gazedo

Postby new blood, » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:59 pm

I feel like a lot of climber bodies will have benefitted from rest their tendons needed that they just ignored for months or years
i was just going to suggest that maybe everybody should cool out maybe

new blood,
ok

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....