You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby dusky » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Kenny wrote:I wanna see some gameplay

dusky

Postby Buddy Knox » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:22 pm

I really hope the dialogue can be muted.

Buddy Knox

Postby Viz » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Reached the snowboarding mini-game on my FF7 replay and hoo boy. The designers were pretty excited about this, weren't they? I get that something like this was really NOVEL and NEW for a rpg at the time, but man, did they make this section so long to finish. Just awful get-knocked-down-by-every-little-thing mechanics.

Aside from that, I'm happy with my progress so far. Love when you get the Highwind in any FF game and you're suddenly able to go anywhere. Lost Aeris so I made RedXIII my summoner/magic user. Cloud has enemy skill with Big Guard, plus Cover with Counter. Tifa I've given Deathblow with Steal as well.

Managed to pass Yuffie's tower relatively easily by equipping the enemy skill materia.
Viz

Postby my piano » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:45 pm

when i first hit the snowboarding mini-game in the story there was definitely a feeling of 'let me get back to the game plz' but when i got back to it at the gold saucer later it really had legs.

i dunno how i'd feel about it now, never dug into it on my steam replay a few years ago - since i ragequit after finding out i'd never get the 'master all materia' achievement because it only triggers when you master an enemy skill materia and i had all 4 mastered early in the playthrough - but i remember it feeling rewarding getting a feel for the handling and memorizing the courses but i'm a sucker for a time trial and will replay the same sonic level over and over to shave off a second so ymmv
loss and gain

my piano

Postby axelrod gunnarson » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:15 pm

Having now completed the remastered FF8, I can begin to re-formulate my thoughts about the general successes and failures of the PSX-era FF games. Nothing concrete yet, but being sandwiched between the relatively conventional sci-fi of 7 and the pastoral fantasy of 9, 8 stands out with its bizarre, dreamlike structure and wild plot twists. Some of the characters almost work better as allegory than as actual characters, particularly the villains (Seifer as inverted Squall, lashing out because of his lack of agency, rather than withdrawing into himself, and Ultimecia as adulthood/the world in kind of the same way that IT from the SK novel)Toggle Spoiler. I think it's definitely not supposed to be a straightforward Bildungsroman but also fairly successful in that kind of storytelling. Way more Lynch-ian than even FF7. Also, if you ever want a shortcut to discussing fate vs free will in storytelling, just make it a time travel story.

Also Squall is definitely dead at the end.
Toggle Spoiler

axelrod gunnarson
ok

Postby axelrod gunnarson » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:24 pm

Someone who is a better writer/thinker than me should compare 8 to Twin Peaks S3, I think there's a few similarities there that could be examined.

axelrod gunnarson
ok

Postby Viz » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Also, this thread has influenced how I'm playing FF7 somewhat, especially someone's comment about an end result of the FF games is every character being able to do everything. I deliberately tried to avoid that and keep their character types intact. Not gonna try and make Barrett a healer or something. As a result, I'm not using that much hardly any elemental Materia and just focusing on the skill based materia.

I found all four Huge Materia already so now it's just the final act left, right? I'll double check, but I'm debating whether or not to try and defeat the Weapons also. Cloud is only level 50 and Tifa and Red are only level 46. Don't know if I have enough patience to start grinding now. Plus I'm itching to start FF8 now.
Viz

Postby Durham » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:47 pm

axelrod gunnarson wrote:Someone who is a better writer/thinker than me should compare 8 to Twin Peaks S3, I think there's a few similarities there that could be examined.

Man, yes

Durham

Postby my piano » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:12 pm

Viz wrote:I found all four Huge Materia already so now it's just the final act left, right? I'll double check, but I'm debating whether or not to try and defeat the Weapons also. Cloud is only level 50 and Tifa and Red are only level 46. Don't know if I have enough patience to start grinding now. Plus I'm itching to start FF8 now.

i think unless you're intending on doing a 100%+ run all the way skipping ruby/emerald is the right choice.
loss and gain

my piano

Postby hector doepos » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:39 am

majorly in my feelings today when this came up today

what is ff without nobuo uematsu

hector doepos

Postby bazookajodeci » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:10 am

i left shadow on the floating continent this time cause we don't wait for bitches

bazookajodeci

Postby Viz » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:12 pm

Decided to just finish FF7 already and forget about doing Chocobo racing, finding all summons, etc.

Felt my characters were a high enough level where I wasn't going to die instantly, but I still had to think about the actions I took.

Thoroughly njoyed Sephiroth's 34242 minute ultimate attack where he destroys Pluto, Jupiter and Saturn and causes the sun to go nova.
Viz

Postby my piano » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:54 pm

FWIW I started a 100%+ run and had fun with it up until the point that I gave it up, its crazy how strong enemy skill materia is and can basically carry the game for you if you get the spells as soon as they're available- specifically making sure you get big guard before leaving junon on both materia if I remember right

But i got burnt out doing a full gamefaqs completionist run (things like triggering double boss fights for 2x exclusive rewards by following a set path from the save point and using the menu button on the same step as the enemy encounter to cancel it which stacks up an auto-repeat of the boss fight if you pull it off) when I got to a point where I was supposed to steal 99 of an item with something like a 0.3% steal rate.
loss and gain

my piano

Postby domesticwhite » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:39 pm

love the theory about 8 where squall dies at the end of disc 1 parade in the ice stab and the rest is his dream of how it would all play out. love the idea of ff8 and tp se3 being spiritually synonymous. ah, my favorite video game. just wonderful.

domesticwhite

Postby grayfox » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:05 am

my piano wrote:FWIW I started a 100%+ run and had fun with it up until the point that I gave it up, its crazy how strong enemy skill materia is and can basically carry the game for you if you get the spells as soon as they're available- specifically making sure you get big guard before leaving junon on both materia if I remember right

But i got burnt out doing a full gamefaqs completionist run (things like triggering double boss fights for 2x exclusive rewards by following a set path from the save point and using the menu button on the same step as the enemy encounter to cancel it which stacks up an auto-repeat of the boss fight if you pull it off) when I got to a point where I was supposed to steal 99 of an item with something like a 0.3% steal rate.

Big guard and other enemy skills like it are essential to speed runs because of how strong they are. Big guard is huge.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Durham » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:28 am

finished the remastered 8 tonight. it's the best game

Durham

Postby Durham » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:19 am

Replaying IX for the first time in many years when I never really finished it and I’m remembering why I didn’t the first time. It’s so tedious. If it weren’t for the battle boosters I would have quit again

Freya, Quina, and Amarant are totally charmless drags that bring any sense of fun in the story to a halt. Quina has some funny gags I guess, but otherwise ugh. Battles are slow as hell. I’m halfway through disc 3 and it’s more linear than 8 and I think 7 was at this point. I might feel that way because the side quests are so shitty (chocobo bullshit)

The first disc is incredibly good and the main 4 characters are perfect. I’ve heard it “gets good again” late in the game so I’m rushing through this because it’s such a slog. At least the music and the visuals are great.

Durham

Postby zamboni » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:29 am

yeah ix stoinks i cant make it through

zamboni

Postby chairkicker » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:04 am

ff8 is better than twin peaks season 3

chairkicker

Postby chairkicker » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:41 am

you know i worry about the ff7 remake. i worry about what square enix is doing visually. the original has such a varied and delicate aesthetic and the remake is so oppressively teal, so oppressively digital in a way i almost can't describe except to say that it's born of some very recent trends in video game art direction. and it's just way too close to advent children for comfort. i feel like the ps3 tech demo from 2006 better captures ff7's look and feel despite the obvious update

chairkicker

Postby Meeps » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:30 pm

Probably going to beat FF8 today. I've never really played much beyond the beginning of 9. Last time I started it I was annoyed with how the speed up system works compared to 7/8, but I'll give it another go
Smooth lever mechanism and large press chamber EMPOWER the AVERAGE AMERICAN with minimal grip strength, lessening the food preparation time so that you can FOCUS on creating dishes on par with professional chefs.

Meeps

Postby compatibility mode » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:27 pm

i still have a lot of love for IX, even though my save file corrupted twice in the original release and i stopped playing at the very end during my most recent play through, so never beat the game. its good fun, but VII and VIII are better for different reasons. honestly i just want to play the VIII remaster for triple triad.

kinda excited for the VII remake

compatibility mode

Postby compatibility mode » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:29 pm

i love vivi

compatibility mode

Postby Viz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:57 am

I'm enjoying my replay of FF 9. Not a fan of the mechanic where I have to keep using weak equipment in order to learn abilities.
Viz

Postby my piano » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:25 pm

i have a stupid underdog compulsion in games so i was all about that system. i think i damaged my ability to really enjoy IX by marathoning it back around its original release on a weekend where i was pretty sick and just going nuts on a bunch of kumquats which i had never had before. now whenever i play IX past the opening sequence/forest escape i just get hit with this ancestral sick-dread and also the taste of kumquats going from good to bad from overindulgence.
loss and gain

my piano

Postby Buddy Knox » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 pm

You're all bonkers. IX is so good.

Buddy Knox

Postby brent » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:55 pm

i don't think i like any of the ps ff games now :o

brent

Postby Infinite Jost » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:42 pm

i'm losing it over trying to abolish random rules in ffviii

every guaranteed method is absolute bullshit
i technically don't really need all these cards
i already did enough to get the one that gives you autohaste and i can't remember what other rare cards need to be refined for anything but
i follow these videos as closely as possible and i always end up abolishing open somehow which is like the last thing i want to do
fuck triple triad

Infinite Jost

Postby shankly » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Lol it’s a nightmare. I was doing everything perfectly and got lazy around Trabia Garden and now everything is kind of a mess. I got lucky with Random and won Selphie and was able to get all the rare cards from FH, but I’m about to go to Lunar Gate and I already know I’m fucked.

I also forgot to draw Alexander and saved at the disc change with no backup file so maybe I should just start over.
shankly

Postby shankly » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:56 pm

FFVIII just pushes all of my insane completionist buttons like no other JRPG
shankly

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....