Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby axelrod gunnarson » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:57 pm

the most useful rare cards are probably zell (3 hyper wrists), Irvine (3 rocket engines) and Kiros, which you already have. And Gilgamesh, for 10 Holy Wars.

I had a lot of trouble getting rid of random, especially for Lunar, until I realized I had to introduce a rule that wasn't currently in play. I managed to abolish Same, then went to Esthar, I think, picked up Esthar rules (including same) and saved right outside, doing trial and error until I found the right number of no's to trigger Random being abolished. It took a couple tries, and doing anything that can push the RNG (like drawing magic) can be useful in getting the desired result.

axelrod gunnarson
ok

Postby VHB » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:16 pm

Infinite Jost wrote:i'm losing it over trying to abolish random rules in ffviii

every guaranteed method is absolute bullshit
i technically don't really need all these cards
i already did enough to get the one that gives you autohaste and i can't remember what other rare cards need to be refined for anything but
i follow these videos as closely as possible and i always end up abolishing open somehow which is like the last thing i want to do
fuck triple triad

all the old OCD "check this draw point X times" tricks have had to be thrown out because the remaster doesn't have a Soft Reset. Tis a pain. it does seem more dependent on save scumming and being stubborn enough to get lucky this go-around.

shankly wrote:FFVIII just pushes all of my insane completionist buttons like no other JRPG

yeah this, essentially
galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

bill wrote:every hooker deserves an Oscar for faking orgasms i swear to god

Kenny wrote:If you can remmeber any conversation with a cashier 30 seconds after you had it you're doing it wrong

VHB
VHS

Postby Viz » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:40 am

I had to resort to the 9999 damage cheat in FF 9 last night. I was fighting Lani and even after casting slow on her, she would kill one character per round, then cast Water the very next round.

I just don't have the patience anymore for the damn Phoenix Down brings character back to life with 2 HP, where enemy proceeds to hit them again before my other character can heal or do a potion. Fuck that mechanic.
Viz

Postby Meeps » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:20 am

Yeah that’s been my main complain with 9 so far. Way more frustrating deaths compared to 7 or 8
Smooth lever mechanism and large press chamber EMPOWER the AVERAGE AMERICAN with minimal grip strength, lessening the food preparation time so that you can FOCUS on creating dishes on par with professional chefs.

Meeps

Postby Durham » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:22 pm

shankly wrote:Lol it’s a nightmare. I was doing everything perfectly and got lazy around Trabia Garden and now everything is kind of a mess. I got lucky with Random and won Selphie and was able to get all the rare cards from FH, but I’m about to go to Lunar Gate and I already know I’m fucked.

I also forgot to draw Alexander and saved at the disc change with no backup file so maybe I should just start over.

You can draw him from a monster in the final dungeon if it’s trophies you’re after but he has some nice abilities you’d miss out on. I guess you could exit the castle and go ham on cactuar island

Durham

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:24 pm

FF8 is still great

love 3x mode
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Infinite Jost » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:48 pm

just got to squall being killed

at the end i had punishment, cardinal, red scorpion
i couldn't get back to balamb to grind out elnoyle cards but that's still 3 of the 2nd best weapons
also had tornado or an aga junctioned to everyones strenghth and magic and curaga to everyone's hp and auto haste
i've never been so powerful in this game since as a kid (...16 year old) i didn't understand the enemies leveling up with you thing
destroying everything with my highest level char at 13 is very satisfying

i also gave up on abolishing random and managed to get the siren card anyway

i think i'm going to go for the Edea card for the first time even though it always seemed impossible with that region's rules

Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:52 pm

https://squallsdead.com/

i will never buy this theory but i will always love that this site exists and is just called "Squall's Dead"
i hope it never goes down

Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:57 pm

I choose to believe that this is how the game was intended to be understood because, to me, the game makes no sense otherwise. Everything that happens to the characters after the first disc is ridiculous. The ending is like recapping the game on acid.

yeah it's all way more interesting than "dying dream"
dying dream theories always suck to me

Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:32 pm

oh for fuck's sake the trade rule in balamb is back to one and i can't figure out how to change it back to all
this takes so much fucking time
i only really need elnoyle's to get quistis and rinoa's ultimate weapons now but

oof
i love triple tried but the goddamn rules

i think maybe the way to get around random is to just refine all my bullshit cards asap so all my rare cards get played automatically
even the stuff i want to save up like elnoyle is decent

Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:35 pm

20 FUCKING YEARS

Infinite Jost

Postby VHB » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:36 pm

Infinite Jost wrote:Image

20 FUCKING YEARS

galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

Kenny wrote:If you can remmeber any conversation with a cashier 30 seconds after you had it you're doing it wrong

VHB
VHS

Postby Buddy Knox » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:36 am

God, I'm at the battle of the Gardens and I'm just now realizing that I somehow missed the Leviathan GF. This has never happened to me before and I no longer feel motivated enough to finish the game. I'm so disappointed in myself and I blame this almost entirely on the 3x speed making me careless and lazy.

Buddy Knox

Postby Buddy Knox » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:39 am

Maybe I'll just beat it without bothering to complete any of the side quests lol.

Buddy Knox

Postby Buddy Knox » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:01 am

Lmao what is this midi track playing during the battle of the Gardens? Did they sneak a track from the PC port into this game?

Buddy Knox

Postby Infinite Jost » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:41 am

I didn't notice anything off but I'm mostly paying attention the all the background stuff going on it's my favorite individual set piece in the series I think

Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 am

When the FMV transitions from rescuing Rinoa directly to dropping in the middle of the battle and having control over the characters I think blew my mind more than anything I'd ever seen in a game st that point in time

Infinite Jost

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:47 am

I started my FF8 play through !!

palmer eldritch

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:48 am

the first hour of this game is just explaining fifty different mechanics that exist and I still don't understand them exactly

palmer eldritch

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:49 am

whoo boy wait til you start taking the SeeD tests

(you're totally fine just looking those up, they aren't going to ever get explained better. i'm on disc 3)

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby VHB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:53 am

Infinite Jost wrote:When the FMV transitions from rescuing Rinoa directly to dropping in the middle of the battle and having control over the characters I think blew my mind more than anything I'd ever seen in a game st that point in time

the gunblade clotheslineToggle Spoiler is the apex of the series

VHB
VHS

Postby Buddy Knox » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:10 pm

I’m not going crazy, right? Not to make a big thing about it but this doesn’t sound normal:

Buddy Knox

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:19 pm

doesn’t zell’s mom play the zell card? i’m only at the seed graduation but i played her like 10 times trying to get it but she never played it

had the thing set to ALL and everything after talking to that queen lady by the shop
wendy wrote:

mcwop23

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:19 pm

feel like the first time i played this i had zero concept of how to properly do the cards
wendy wrote:

mcwop23

Postby deadbass » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:21 pm

Buddy Knox wrote:I’m not going crazy, right? Not to make a big thing about it but this doesn’t sound normal:

There's a weird glitch in this remaster whose conditions I can't remember which will cause the PC versions's crappy MIDI soundtrack to play instead of the proper PSX nice soundtrack. Looks like that's what's happening.

deadbass

Postby VHB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:30 pm

mcwop23 wrote:doesn’t zell’s mom play the zell card? i’m only at the seed graduation but i played her like 10 times trying to get it but she never played it

had the thing set to ALL and everything after talking to that queen lady by the shop

she has it. Zell has to be in your active party for her to use it (though that shouldn't be a problem at this point in the plot, and IIRC she won't even play cards at all if Zell's not in your active 3).

sometimes characters with rare cards are just super reluctant to play them and there's seemingly nothing you can do about it except playing dozens of hands or trying to reload a save and start over, and hopefully whatever RNG value governs card selection is reset and more favorable the next time.

VHB
VHS

Postby VHB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:32 pm

god I know way too much about this game. (granted a lot of this is fresh because the remaster coming out means I've just played through again, but still...)

I should've put this brain energy into a grad degree or something else actually useful

VHB
VHS

Postby Infinite Jost » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:35 pm

It took me like 100 plays to get the Zell card but thankfully she plays Elnoyle cards pretty often and you want to get at least 20

Wish I had grinded out 80 at this point honestly

Infinite Jost

Postby Buddy Knox » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:44 pm

deadbass wrote:
Buddy Knox wrote:I’m not going crazy, right? Not to make a big thing about it but this doesn’t sound normal:

There's a weird glitch in this remaster whose conditions I can't remember which will cause the PC versions's crappy MIDI soundtrack to play instead of the proper PSX nice soundtrack. Looks like that's what's happening.

That’s actually hilarious. I guess this happened because I closed the application and resumed my game immediately before initiating the FMV that plays when you encounter Galbadia Garden.

Buddy Knox

Postby Meeps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Yeah, it can happen to that song multiple times in the game. If you save your game and reload at Deling, you'll be stuck with that same pc version for the rest of the mission.
Smooth lever mechanism and large press chamber EMPOWER the AVERAGE AMERICAN with minimal grip strength, lessening the food preparation time so that you can FOCUS on creating dishes on par with professional chefs.

Meeps

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....