Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby mcwop23 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:09 pm

Durham wrote:Doin 4 and 12 simultaneously now. Just finished Mt Ordeal and just got out of the mine at Bhujerba. Is it fair to say I’m halfway through 4 and a third through 12?

you’re not even remotely close to halfway through 4, maybe 1/5
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby Viz » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:11 am

I decided that I'm not going to finish FF9. The story was only alright, and I get that Zidane was supposed to be a breath of fresh air after the sullen Cloud and Squall, but in the end, I just couldn't get into these characters.

Cut scenes were way too long, button mashing text boxes indeed. The game just doesn't want me to have fun with the enemy encounters it seems. I'm constantly on the defensive, frantically trying to revive dead party members. Even at this late point in the game, I never found an "All" modifier, so it was a constant, Cure one person, another one dies, repeat repeat. I could have used the 9999 hit modifier, but then that's the other extreme of No Fun. It really made me appreciate how balanced FF7's combat was.

So yeah, on to the Switch FF X, I guess.
Viz

Postby deadbass » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:21 am

mcwop23 wrote:
Durham wrote:Doin 4 and 12 simultaneously now. Just finished Mt Ordeal and just got out of the mine at Bhujerba. Is it fair to say I’m halfway through 4 and a third through 12?

you’re not even remotely close to halfway through 4, maybe 1/5

I'd say you're also 1/5 through XII.

deadbass

Postby dusky » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:24 pm

eeesh.. i am struggling with ff14. i'm level 23. should i give up on it if i'm still not feeling it... like, at all?

dusky

Postby hector doepos » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Ff6 question: So I saved my game after walking through the imperial observation post only to realize I’m way under leveled for the passage to the sealed gate... is there any way to exit the imperial observation post??? Seems like I’m stuck in here. (Previously when the soldiers were around they would kick me out if they saw me but it’s empty now)

Edit: whoops there is a little door to the left I missed

hector doepos

Postby Meeps » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Viz wrote:I decided that I'm not going to finish FF9. The story was only alright, and I get that Zidane was supposed to be a breath of fresh air after the sullen Cloud and Squall, but in the end, I just couldn't get into these characters.

Cut scenes were way too long, button mashing text boxes indeed. The game just doesn't want me to have fun with the enemy encounters it seems. I'm constantly on the defensive, frantically trying to revive dead party members. Even at this late point in the game, I never found an "All" modifier, so it was a constant, Cure one person, another one dies, repeat repeat. I could have used the 9999 hit modifier, but then that's the other extreme of No Fun. It really made me appreciate how balanced FF7's combat was.

So yeah, on to the Switch FF X, I guess.

I’m sticking with it, but I agree with all this. I have 3x speed on pretty much constantly and it still takes forever to get through all the dialogue.
Smooth lever mechanism and large press chamber EMPOWER the AVERAGE AMERICAN with minimal grip strength, lessening the food preparation time so that you can FOCUS on creating dishes on par with professional chefs.

Meeps

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:30 pm

i honestly never had a problem with anything in FFXI except for like the last two bosses, Ozma, and the book
it's one of the easier ones
i'm not trying to be contrarian

Infinite Jost

Postby Meeps » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:39 pm

VIII was harder the first time I played it when I had no idea what the fuck I was doing. I got all the way to the boss at the end of disc 3 and had to start over because I could no longer win by spamming GFs. Now I pretty much only ever die against Malboros, though
Smooth lever mechanism and large press chamber EMPOWER the AVERAGE AMERICAN with minimal grip strength, lessening the food preparation time so that you can FOCUS on creating dishes on par with professional chefs.

Meeps

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:07 pm

you gotta junction stuff to your status defense x4
i forget which GFs have that
get 3 party members with resist to confuse and berserk and blind and then add pain you can whale on them
also if you're low level you can plant all that on Edea and have her destroy Malbs to level your FGs up to 100

i love breaking FFVIII
i wish my first playthrough i hadn't just gone all out on leveling all my characters because i didn't understand they scaled
honestly they should have told you
except it's kind of cool that i beat it as a dumb teen with everyone leveled to 100 including Omega and not having a strategy guide

i eventually got it in FFT because you can actually see the level of the enemies

Infinite Jost

Postby my piano » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:38 pm

i started making an overly ambitious final fantasy progress tracker/guide/omnisheet in google sheets if anyone would be interested in it when i reach a working model.
loss and gain

my piano

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:48 pm

if it is final fantasy i am interested

Infinite Jost

Postby my piano » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:04 pm

cool, right now i'm mostly just scraping reference materials so i can have an easier time building out the tables i need to track stats per game, etc. but some of my formatting work is already done.

if you front level save data like my second image there i could incorporate it into my sheet right now and use it for examples to build out the working model of the absurd vision i have for this thing in my head
loss and gain

my piano

Postby my piano » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:05 pm

that bottom image got some weird compression going on, my actual sheet looks crisp
loss and gain

my piano

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:37 pm

gonna embarrass myself here but i didn't realize until playing the remaster that the start of Ultimecia's castle theme was pulled from "Dancing Mad"

Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:41 pm

i think Ultimecia's castle is honestly a great final dungeon and has great music and mechanics and is underrated due to the lame 4th disc content which prevents you from doing anything if you don't have a save from before the point of no return. Other than that it's great.

I dunno how they justify it because you go into her time compressed world but you really should have the freedom to do whatever you might have missed in a huge RPG like this

also Ultimecia as a villain is underrated IMO
I feel like people don't get that she was the villain the whole game, Edea was possessed by her so everything Edea did was Ultimecia
i remember from the start and honestly i include myself that people thought Ultimecia just came out of nowhere but she was really there the entire game, her and Seifer are the main villains
it's probably one of my favorite time travel stories too
i dunno
don't mean to get off on a rant here

Infinite Jost

Postby struttin' evil mushroom » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:05 pm

well they blew up the sorceress in her castle last night
blew up her GF too
Toggle Spoiler

struttin' evil mushroom

Postby VHB » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:09 pm

struttin' evil mushroom wrote:well they blew up the sorceress in her castle last night
blew up her GF too
Toggle Spoiler

i hope you enjoyed the ending, it's one of my favorites
galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

bill wrote:every hooker deserves an Oscar for faking orgasms i swear to god

Kenny wrote:If you can remmeber any conversation with a cashier 30 seconds after you had it you're doing it wrong

VHB
VHS

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:21 pm

the ultimate GF, Griever

Infinite Jost

Postby Infinite Jost » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 pm

like understanding that it's all been a time travel story makes that part so much better
i dunno if it's better or worse than a dying dream
i think better

but i like that ultimecia who learns that a "SeeD" who carries the Griever ring will kill her one day somehow develops a guardian force with the same name to combat him better than it being his dying final fantasy
i dunno

Infinite Jost

Postby Viz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:11 pm

I've reached the Guadosalam area in my Final Fantasy X replay and yeah, being able to swap out any character and not losing a turn by doing so is an amazing combat mechanic.

It's funny to me that the main party look detailed and amazing in this remaster, but every NPC (with a few exceptions) looks like crappy PS2 sprites. In fact, since I sometimes play this during my lunch break at work, I sometimes have to look over my shoulder cause I'd be pretty embarrased every time Lulu is on screen.

I'm liking the chill vibe of the story so far. Just following Yuna from temple to temple on her pilgrimage, picking up Aeons.

The boss battles are pretty fun and I like how all of them so far are just massive characters.
Viz

Postby doublethink0 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:24 pm

my piano wrote:i started making an overly ambitious final fantasy progress tracker/guide/omnisheet in google sheets if anyone would be interested in it when i reach a working model.

one of my first experiences using Excel was plotting out my rosters/equipment for Kefka's tower in FF6. I feel like I have a Word doc journal too with check-offs for key items and notes about dungeons. I was obsessed at 12

I would also be interested in seeing your work

doublethink0

Postby my piano » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:51 pm

doublethink0 wrote:
my piano wrote:i started making an overly ambitious final fantasy progress tracker/guide/omnisheet in google sheets if anyone would be interested in it when i reach a working model.

one of my first experiences using Excel was plotting out my rosters/equipment for Kefka's tower in FF6. I feel like I have a Word doc journal too with check-offs for key items and notes about dungeons. I was obsessed at 12

I would also be interested in seeing your work

my idea is part omni-guide hoovering up every piece of reference/guide material available and making it cross-referenced/consolidated etc.

another part is determine what sort of progress/stat tracking is feasible to create a framework that isn't taxing for other people to dial their things into. right now i'm laser-focused on ff1 to keep things somewhat limited, since it's been pretty well picked apart by romhackers - medium-term i'm looking towards trying to figure out lua scripting for automatically kicking out data, possibly importing it in later on but that's way way down the road.

the ultimate synthesis idea i have in my head is to make 'how are you doing on current final fantasy replay' into sort of it's own modular, optionally social metagame outside the game. like some data/formula-driven semi-DIY achievements layer for all the save games we've left behind.
loss and gain

my piano

Postby dusky » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:42 pm

i think ff12 might have my favorite art direction of any ff i've played. just received the treaty blade, and wow, just blown away by how beautiful this game is.

i'm planning on a replay of 8 or 10 hopefully before Shenmue + Death Stranding next month. it's been a long time, though. any suggestions on which to go with?

dusky

Postby brent » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 pm

viz’s post absolutely makes me want to do ffx again even though it’s probably one of the most familiar to me

it is a very chill ff

brent

Postby my piano » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:25 am

started a 4x thief save in FF1 mostly to test and work through framework, etc. but i went ahead and made custom palette-swap sprites for my characters Zidn, Lcke, Yfie and Riku so i can tell them apart easier outside of the game and also just because

loss and gain

my piano

Postby Durham » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:20 pm

At the final dungeon in 4, it’s a good game

12 battle is fun with the gambits and speed x2, just plowing through monsters with ease

the story and voice acting is straight up Star Wars prequel garbage though

Durham

Postby dusky » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:51 pm

i really enjoyed fran's bjork voice

dusky

Postby Viz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:44 pm

I really don't get the whole sending/unsending/fayth aspect of Final Fantasy X. I just "killed" Seymour for the third time, and I'm sure he's going to be back again. No One Ever Dies, I guess. And the whole explanation of what Zanarkand and Tidus are, just went over my head and I'll just let the game continue leading me from place to place now until I finally unlock an airship.

I've avoided using any Level Sphere unlocks, so my characters are pretty locked into their classes, but I like the options I have by being able to switch out characters without penalty. Delay Buster and Dark Buster are my main friends. I really enjoy the combat in this game. There was some jar thing where I tried to steal from it but it killed my entire party in retaliation, but other than that, most of the attacks have been fair.

Kamari is pretty useless unless you find those Lancet attacks huh? Which I haven't.
Viz

Postby endless dave » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:00 pm

dusky wrote:i think ff12 might have my favorite art direction of any ff i've played. just received the treaty blade, and wow, just blown away by how beautiful this game is.

i'm planning on a replay of 8 or 10 hopefully before Shenmue + Death Stranding next month. it's been a long time, though. any suggestions on which to go with?

Akihiko Yoshida and Yasumi Matsuno are such a fucking dream team. I wish they could do every FF because their batting average is near perfect for Square Enix

endless dave

Postby domesticwhite » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:23 pm

palmer eldritch wrote:I got to the train the other night.

ImageToggle Spoiler

this game is really great. I lost to the fake president. it's nice to lose to a boss fight. a lot of status ailments for so early in the game.

you can kill him with one phoenix down, he's a zombie

domesticwhite

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....