Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Stuntman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:36 pm

My roommate preordered the game and told me I could play it when he’s through. He was saying how thrilled he was about the events in the demo being so faithful to the original game.Toggle Spoiler He is going to be absolutely devastated.
ImageImageImageImage

Stuntman

Postby goovis young » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:40 pm

i'm replaying VII for the first time in at least 10 years and while it doesn't hold up as well as the best 16 bit RPGs, it's still a good time. the prerendered backgrounds + forced perspective feels janky in 2020, but it also ends up being really odd and beautiful most of the time.

if nothing else, it'll keep me busy enough that i won't impulse buy the remake for a little while. maybe i'll skip it entirely; the boss fight from the demo was so tedious and it sounds like that's kind of what the game is.
goovis young

Postby mcwop23 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:48 pm

i’m not gonna finish my replay of 15 before this hits my inbox
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby notblues » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:28 am

kirito wrote:
john plainman 666 wrote:
kirito wrote:just watched a ton of leaked ff7 clips :twisted:

game looks like a disaster.Toggle Spoiler who wants to discuss

you're the one that watched the clips, so spill it!!

ok so

over the course of the game cloud and the party see mysterious grey figures who are revealed to be time travel ghosts who intervene in the timeline to keep events in line with destiny. the end of the game reveals there are two sephiroths: the present one and a time traveling one from after advent children who went traveled to the past like old biff to help present sephiroth change the events of ff7 in his favor. at the end of the game it's also revealed that through time travel meddling zack survived crisis core. the party becomes aware of this and decides to use the same power to REMAKE events to save the world (thus making the FF7 REMAKE title an actual plot relevant thing). the final battle with sephiroth is a complete mess of anime bullshit with cloud, tifa and aerith literally flying around and dodging buildings being thrown at them. also, biggs and wedge both live.Toggle Spoiler

here's a more detailed writeup with clips https://pastebin.com/wdEmjg4P

wait this is real?
notblues

Postby notblues » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:36 am

i'm leaving this here

notblues

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:26 am

Incredibly pumped to pick up FF7R tbh although it's going to take them forever to finish the installments. I wish they would've just done an Origins series where they make full games out of the beginning of classic FFs. Just envisioning what a full FF6 set in and around Narshe would be like. Can't imagine a game I'd rather play. Also a FF8 SeeD academy game could be incredibly chill.

potentialgetawaydriver

Postby bongo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 am

cant wait to get dumb
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:28 am

dumber*
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby brent » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:30 am

i have no desire to play ff7r even though the original was probably one of the most memorable games i’ve ever played

brent

Postby brent » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:33 am

i feel like the moment you get to the world map in the original was such an amazing moment, being trapped in midgar for 40 hours just sounds boring

brent

Postby Kevin McCallister » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:14 am

Since I traded my PS4 for a Switch, while everybody is playing FF7R I'm gonna have to play the Final Fantasy Adventures port that came with the Secret of Mana set.
Pretty psyched!
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:18 am

FFA slaps imho

seem to remember really needing the physical map that came with the gb version though
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby bongo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:21 am

brent wrote:i feel like the moment you get to the world map in the original was such an amazing moment, being trapped in midgar for 40 hours just sounds boring

yeah but you can vape and play cornhole with wedge now

bongo
man in hammock

Postby Kevin McCallister » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:25 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:FFA slaps imho

seem to remember really needing the physical map that came with the gb version though

Oh word, good to know.
I'm waiting for a cable in the mail but once I get that I'm gonna hunker down and do a FFVI playthrough. I'd appreciate any similar tips that come to mind!
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.

Kevin McCallister

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:28 am

well that coulda just been cause i'm an idiot and forget where i am in RPGs if i stop playing for 2 days lol
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Kevin McCallister » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:31 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:well that coulda just been cause i'm an idiot and forget where i am in RPGs if i stop playing for 2 days lol

lol no I think instruction manuals were actually pretty important back then.
Secret of Mana is impossible to navigate when flying through the map, and there are no descriptions to the items you're buying, I always assumed that the instruction manual played an integral role.

Kevin McCallister

Postby xxx-xxx-xxxx » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:32 am

i have a feeling even though it's gonna sell well it's gonna be like $39 next month so i'm holding off for a bit
WHITESOXXX-XXX-XXXX

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Postby kirito » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:36 am

badger from breaking bad as wedge is really brilliant casting

kirito

Postby shame dawg » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:59 pm

I had a dream lee pace voiced sephiroth

I’m pre loaded :ahuh: and ready to get dumb at midnight

shame dawg

Postby Dead_Wizard » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Got murderously frustrated with FF12 in the sochen cave palace. Two status effect spamming bosses with no real save points between them and no function to the plot. Donezo!! On to FF7 remake to vape with Barrett.

Dead_Wizard

Postby bongo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:50 pm

it’s sick that they got bobcat goldthwait for cait sith

bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:35 am

played early this morning for an hour and a half or so. combat is pretty fun, or i guess it seems to at least have the balance of mashing/decision-making i need from this kind of title. it certainly looks gorgeous.

the bombed out city setpiece leading up to the aerith encounterToggle Spoiler is really well executed and fun, though it feels boxed in in the same way i remember 13 feeling. for a game that’s entirely set in midgar the opening bomb/scorpionToggle Spoiler chapter moved really quickly.

bongo
man in hammock

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:51 am

time to start downloading
wendy wrote:

mcwop23

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:05 am

yeah the boss fight with the scorpion kinda makes you utilize every mechanic available to you up to that point in a way that none of the recent ffs have. it seems like a well thought out game mechanically at least .
it's the suspense that gets me

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:13 am

is it a good idea to do the demo a few more times before starting? i feel like i was just button mashing the first couple of times i did it
wendy wrote:

mcwop23

Postby bongo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:33 am

you’ll be fine lol

bongo
man in hammock

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:35 am

the demo is pretty much exactly the first 30-40 minutes of the game. they should've given you an option to save at the end, honestly.

i feel like i took considerably more damage/was in danger more often in the full game but i also can't remember which difficulty option i chose for the demo...
it's the suspense that gets me

Postby kirito » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:35 am

it's the suspense that gets me wrote:yeah the boss fight with the scorpion kinda makes you utilize every mechanic available to you up to that point in a way that none of the recent ffs have. it seems like a well thought out game mechanically at least .

yeah i really liked the demo because of this. the combat is pretty fun

kirito

Postby bluemovers » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:57 am

so i didn't play the demo, but i just finished the scorpion fight. i feel like in games like this i really struggle with swapping between party members/knowing when to use certain abilities. my basic strategy for the fight was to shoot the thing with Barret while the shield was up until it was vulnerable, then switch to Cloud and rush in to spam it with Punisher attacks and abilities. i think occasionally i would cast Fire on it as well. i just did this through every stage of the fight and used up all of my potions. was there something else i was meant to be doing to make the fight easier?Toggle Spoiler

bluemovers

Postby kirito » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:09 am

no, that's exactly what i did except i only used punisher when it was staggered or had just done a big attack so i could still be mobile

kirito

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....