You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby murderhorn » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:50 am

the way she makes sure to mention that she didn't know how to spell it

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Jabberwocky wrote:Can you explain to an American boarder how important CLPs are to the party itself? Also, how often are these meetings and how well attended are they? As someone who has never been a member of a political party (this kind of thing doesn't really exist in the States, obviously) this whole process is truly foreign but really fascinating.

I don't know but I think constituency parties are not really important at all to the party in terms of like operations or political positioning etc except insofar as they demonstrate the loony sjw dogmatism and /or virulent racism of its hard left membership etc. They coordinate things like local campaigning and organising and have representatives on the national executive committee which makes consequential decisions like for example in 2016 it was the NEC ruling that allowed Corbyn to automatically get on the leadership election ballot without nominations from MPs.

The meetings have like a couple dozen people at them maybeM some are way bigger though they are attended more frequently by delegates from branches. all local members can vote in leadership nominations but in non leadership election times only delegates from the constituent branch parties can, and the votes are usually on motions to like express solidarity with Maduro, or condemn their MP for criticising the leader.

CLPs can also vote to ballot on their MP, so decide whether to have a contest to nominate someone else to be their representative. At one point a major effort of the Corbyn project was to try to institute mandatory reselection where an MP would need to win the support of the constituency party by vote in order to run, and this would be automatic every time. But after 2017 they kind of dropped it. Rebecca Long-Bailey is running on this policy which MPs obviously hate. And I guess based on my experience you can see why it would maybe not be a great idea but at the same time in Vauxhall in London for example the local MP for years was an anti-LGBT brexiteer and there was no way for the local members to get rid of her until she retired after voting with the government a bunch of times on votes that could have brought down the government.

Anyway I think they are mostly useful as a way to read the power struggle in Labour, as a contest on whether party members are a strength or a liability. The antisemitism as a front page official legal investigation level matter basically took root and was given sort of official record at the CLP level, motions about pushing back against the Israeli backed media smear campaign and stuff, and abuse by some members of MPs and councilors and other party members, where cases were referred to the party office who demurred from intervening. Like it was obvious in that case that the size and visibility of the membership was a liability, check out what this branch officer posted on facebook in 2016, where officer sounds like some elected important position but is actually something that requires only a nomination and a seconding to get. As I say you can lose faith pretty quickly in the capacities of the people who gain prominence within a group selected through this type of process but then the alternative seems like it will involve pretending not to know what quinoa is

murderhorn

Postby gallits » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:44 am

murderhorn wrote:the way she makes sure to mention that she didn't know how to spell it

:ryan:

gallits

Postby murderhorn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:41 am

murderhorn wrote:Kier did a mumsnet AMA then

well then

murderhorn

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:10 am

such a baffling way to protest

at least julie bindel finally resigned her labour party membership

mercenaries of slime

Postby murderhorn » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:57 am

hell yeah. do wonder a bit where Starmer is going to position himself on this but maybe he's said and I missed it?
again is just wild to see the Labour is too concerned with being woke to win consensus re-emerge from the Labour is institutionally racist consensus of 2019

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:35 am

all my inbound text messages are from Labour leadership/deputy leadership candidates

murderhorn

Postby Lucky » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:18 am

Yeah I just got a ton last night too
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Lucky

Postby Kenny » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:46 am

This article is hilarious in how fucking stupid and pompous and ridiculous it is. Why yes, it is from the Telegraph!

Brexit Britain is the true heir to Ancient Greece - just ask the Elgin Marbles
Telegraph

Publish Date: 20 Feb 2020 12:00

In the great debate over whether Britain should return the Elgin Marbles to Athens - as Greece is demanding as its price for signing off an EU free trade deal - no-one seems to have asked the Marbles themselves. So I went along to The British Museum yesterday to interview them, and this is what I got from the horse's mouth - literally so, as it was one of the four horses who draws the moon goddess Selene's chariot who chatted to me, although he made it clear he was also speaking for the oxen, centaurs, heroes, magistrates, pipe-players, water jar-bearers, and even Zeus himself.

"Look," he said, "we're the product of a creative culture that is credited with the invention of such aspects of modern western civilisation as democracy, history, philosophy, medicine, and drama. Now, let's take a look at which of those are best represented in modern-day Britain, and which in modern-day Greece. We loved being born in Athens in the 5th century BC, don't get me wrong, but that doesn't mean that we have to spend the whole of the next two and a half millennia there if other countries now embody the values and ideals that we represent.

"When it comes to democracy, you can't compare Britain - which has just asserted its democratic right to self-determination through Brexit - to that sad satrapy of the European Union, modern-day Greece, which was a military dictatorship within living memory and is regularly rocked by political movements such as the neo-fascist Golden Dawn party.

"I need hardly tell you, Andrew, that in Britain today, history-writing is going through a golden age (probably because it is taught so badly in schools). You are currently mourning a great philosopher in Sir Roger Scruton. In medicine, you have won 30 Nobel prizes since 1901, against none for Greece. Your West End dwarves the land of Euripides and Aeschylus in terms of drama. You British are the modern heirs of Pericles and Thucydides, not the modern-day Greeks.

"Admittedly I'm a horse, but the human figures in the frieze also transcend the present to envision an ideal society, representing timeless humanity. Of the past 25 centuries of existence, our best two have been spent here, in a country that represents our values. The very fact that Greece is trying to use us as a blackmail tool over a post-Brexit free trade agreement demonstrates what kind of a country it is.

"Please don't send us back to a country with 35 per cent youth unemployment, a national debt of 181.2 per cent of GDP, an economy about 30 per cent smaller than it was 10 years ago, and a falling population. We represent the glory that was Ancient Greece, but now we have much more to say to a dynamic, independent nation led by an Oxford classicist than to modern-day Greece.

"Also, don't forget that the Marbles are the product not just of 5th century BC Athens, but of earlier cultures, too. Historians have noted the similarities between the Panathenaic process of the frieze and the procession of offerings brought before the seated dignitaries on the Standard of Ur from 2,600 BC, just around the corner from us, here in the museum. When the Athenians lost the Peloponnesian War to Sparta in 404 BC, the masons and sculptors who had worked under Phidias creating us were forced across the Aegean Sea to seek work in what is now Turkey, and you can see their legacy everywhere.

"So when woke students bleat about 'cultural appropriation' whenever stag-nighters wear Mexican sombreros, they forget - or never knew - that all culture is by definition cultural appropriation, and we Marbles are no exception. We belong to the world, not just to Greece, and where better to be seen than in one of the world's greatest museums? Why should you want to send us back to smoggy Athens where we wouldn't be visited by anything like the over six million visitors who came to The British Museum in 2018/19?

"We also think it would be disrespectful to the memory of that splendid noblemanThomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, who salvaged us from the wreck of the Parthenon between 1801 and 1812. (It's why we like to call ourselves the Elgin Marbles, by the way, rather than 'Parthenon Marbles', which the Greek Government's PR department came up with, and which locks us into one geographical place.)

"The Parthenon in our time there was rocked by earthquakes, ravaged by fire, vandalised by Christian iconoclasts, turned into a church, and subsequently a mosque, bombarded, blown up in 1687, quarried for building materials, and subjected to all sorts of restorations, some good, some bad. If that had happened to your home, would you want to go back? Instead, since 1816 we've been part ofthe British Museum's encyclopedia of knowledge, and after two centuries we feel much more British than Greek (except possibly Dionysus, who's almost permanently drunk, part of his job description).

"Because we used to be so high up on the Acropolis, we are much better known today than even by the ancients themselves. And when it comes to the glory that was Greece, look at the Olympics, which were created there - like us. Compare the mismanagement of the 2004 Athens Olympics which helped fuel the Greek debt crisis and where the facilities were left to rot, with the 2012 London Olympics, which showed how much better London could do with an originally Greek idea.

"We have long stood, in the words of one historian, as 'transcending national boundaries and epitomising universal and enduring values of excellence.' So please don't send us back to the country which has the highest amount of anti-Semitism outside the Middle East, with no fewer than 69 per cent of the population harbouring such attitudes. According to Transparency International, Greece is also one of the most corrupt countries in Europe.

"We remember being visited here by John Keats in March 1817, which is not so long ago when you were made two and a half millennia ago. 'When old age shall this generation waste,' he wrote in Ode on a Grecian Urn, 'Thou shalt remain.' Please don't trade us in as part of some ignoble deal to secure a trade deal from the EU. We're British now."
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:09 am

Thanks for that Murderhorn.
Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!

Jabberwocky

Postby Kenny » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:42 pm

Just saw the Dave performance at the Brit awards and was tearing up as hell. Thought it was fucking powerful and also made me angry that it has to be said at all
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Just wanna play videogames all the time and everyday.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby murderhorn » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:06 am

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:44 am

Orwell_fan is a finalist for the civility awards

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:30 am

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:30 pm

I will be voting for the candidate most willing to tell The Truth where the truth isn't actually anything to do with what happened here or in the US but rather the understanding that the party I like is racist and sexist and violent

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:33 pm

I guess Keir has played nice the whole time and if Nandy believes she can win that belief is probably based on an understanding of the appetite for shitting all over the Labour party.

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:39 am

Why even do an Andrew Neil interview ffs

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:22 am

does anyone want to talk re: british politics

murderhorn

Postby Gussie Fink-Nottle » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:57 am

This Huawei Commons revolt seems so fucking pointless.
It is mating season for the pterosaurs, and this well-endowed male wants YOU to fly with him.

Gussie Fink-Nottle

Postby murderhorn » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:05 am

literally the same setup as the Corbyn/Neil interview.

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 am

is all pretty simple, get rid of the bigots, kick em out, and don't intervene in individual cases, and also make sure every individual case is dealt with, and also protect free speech, and also address the issue of institutional racism, and also wise up to the fact that woke identity politics is trying to create the illusion that the UK is racist when in fact it's the least racist place

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:44 am

Gussie Fink-Nottle wrote:This Huawei Commons revolt seems so fucking pointless.

feels a bit like our Russiagate yeah. wish we were getting free broadband

murderhorn

Postby Night porter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:51 am

The timing of all the comms I’ve had from leadership candidates seems so inconsistent (I get there are different budgets etc). maybe it’s just that the voting is open so long.

Night porter

Postby murderhorn » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:32 am

only texts I get are from Labour leader/deputy leader candidates

murderhorn

Postby Night porter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:55 am

I got a phone bank call from Keir’s team. She did say I should expect calls from every candidate but that was the only one. What is the reason for such a long voting period?

Night porter

Postby murderhorn » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:14 am

I don't want to participate in the 2020 Primary thread but it's giving me terrible flashbacks to Dec 12/13 to read. also imagining forward to Kier's victory over a leftist campaign that came out of the gates arguing for patriotism. Jem Gilbert used to go on all the lefty podcasts here and marvel at how the left had outpaced even his most optimistic projections in the US and UK, anyway I guess it was due a course correction.

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:18 am

Night porter wrote:I got a phone bank call from Keir’s team. She did say I should expect calls from every candidate but that was the only one. What is the reason for such a long voting period?

I assume that all the kind of affiliate membership voting rights, JLM etc, makes getting the ballots out to everyone with a right to vote pretty difficult but yeah even with that allowance it feels a month too long, I wonder how many people just end up putting it off and then not voting.

murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:13 am

murderhorn

Postby Lucky » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:39 pm

I can't believe that the government response to this has been this bad

It's a Tory government and I can't believe it has been this bad...
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Lucky

Postby murderhorn » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:49 pm

It's pretty surreal yeah

murderhorn

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....