Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby chowder julius » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:14 am

murderhorn wrote:dunno if this from Pankaj Mishra was posted? offers a variation on the "imperial nostalgia" of brexit https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/opinion/sunday/brexit-ireland-empire.html

thanks for posting this
chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby delgriffith » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:32 am

Cheers for The Matrix analogy, Ian.
delgriffith

Postby pana » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:36 am

Ted Pikul wrote:
Geoff wrote:haha arch brexiter James Dyson is moving his headquarters to Singapore

it has twice the suction

conveniently, Singapore signed a free trade agreement with the EU a few weeks ago

claims he is simply "future-proofing" his business :lol:
pana

Postby strange potion » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:39 am

Kenny wrote:That New York Times is a fun read for someone like me that feels a little (too) vindictive, but I think that also maybe the Imperial thing isn't a real thing for the current crop of rich assholes but is just nostalgia for a world they haven't really lived in except for the nice lifestyles, and I also wish the article made some mention about how they are just like rich people everywhere and don't give a fuck about the poor and working people whose lives are going to be ruined by Brexit. I mean, I guess it does... I dunno

Wasn't the original point of contention for us whether memories of imperialism were a motivating factor for the majority of people, not the 1%?

Or do you mean you just feel vindictive over the callousness of elite brexiteers?
strange potion

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:42 am

I mean about the people that campaigned for Brexit, I think the people who voted for Brexit against their own interests were hoodwinked and regret the left's inability to reach them.
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Videogames forever!!!
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Lucky » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:33 pm

here's a photo to lift your spirits

katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Lucky

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 pm

Jesus fucking Christ
Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!
Jabberwocky

Postby Jabberwocky » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 pm

That fuck is always snuggling up to Orban as well. Are Blairites even worse (and more tone deaf) than Clintonian libs?
Cosa vogliamo?
Tutto!
Jabberwocky

Postby deadbass » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:09 pm

deadbass

Postby number none » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:17 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/26/john-humphrys-suggests-ireland-could-quit-eu-and-join-uk

Questioned about the possibility by the BBC Today presenter John Humphrys, Ireland’s Europe minister, Helen McEntee, said it was not contemplating quitting the EU, that polls showed 92% of the population wanted to remain in the bloc, and “Irexit” was not plausible.

Humphrys said: “There has to be an argument, doesn’t there, that says instead of Dublin telling this country that we have to stay in the single market etc within the customs union, why doesn’t Dublin, why doesn’t the Republic of Ireland, leave the EU and throw in their lot with this country?”

number none

Postby gallits » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:08 pm

amazing
gallits

Postby Kenny » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:07 am

Old but new to me:

Videogames forever!!!
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby number none » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:52 pm

lol at these fucking jokers
number none

Postby delgriffith » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:17 pm

Catching up on the day's events and I'm not sure I've ever been more embarrassed to be British.
delgriffith

Postby big zorb » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:31 pm

del can you very briefly sum up what the hell happened today, it's hard for me to parse not knowing all the players in the game super intimately
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby big zorb » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:35 pm

i think i am struggling to understand the backstop situation in particular
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby Bartatua » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:39 pm

I don't have a great handle on the backstop either, does anyone know of a good writeup on that?
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby big zorb » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:41 pm

i've read that bbc primer a couple times but it still seems very uk-centric

from what i can understand:

good friday agreement keeps an open border between northern ireland and ROI and the backstop continues this, which everyone wants, but the EU also says it can only apply to the land border, which means customs checks and all of that for anything coming through the irish sea? is that even remotely accurate?
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby Geoff » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:47 pm

oh gee
Geoff
i like jazz

Postby deadbass » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:49 pm

The backstop is sort of the last option for the Irish border (border between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland), which is to leave it open essentially as it is now. If goods pass through the border currently, they don't need to be checked because they're passing between two EU countries. After Brexit, people still obviously want the border to be as porous as possible, but if they use the backstop, then goods will need to be inspected when they cross the Irish Sea. This would mean if things are being sent from England to Northern Ireland, they'd also need to be inspected, which is a huge hassle given that Northern Ireland is part of the UK. This would mean that the UK is still bound to some of the EU's economic trading rules in ways that obviously weren't the intent of Brexit, and it also means that Northern Ireland will be treated differently from the rest of Britain.

My understanding is that this is one of the major sticking points in rewriting the deal, but they refused to delay the exit date any further. So they have like 60 days to figure all this shit out. (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, I was just kind of going over it lightly during lunch)
deadbass

Postby Pokemon Mastah » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:09 pm

sleepwalking into a no-deal brexit
Pokemon Mastah

Postby Bartatua » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:10 pm

thanks for that response deadbass
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby murderhorn » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:20 pm

reading-JuliaHB1-tweets levels of despair
murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 am

delgriffith wrote:

Cheers for The Matrix analogy, Ian.

It was like the start of the Lion King. Late last night, just as the Brexit news settled for the evening, a new child was born. It would grow up to become a great king, to unite warring tribes. The music started, the sun began to rise, and it was lifted into the air to the sound of trumpets.

Firstly, it allows Singham to pretend that May would just take this and plop it on Michel Barnier's desk, at which point he'd read it like Marcellus Wallace opening that suitcase in Pulp Fiction, realise its startling beauty, and instantly sign-off on it in a moment of quasi-orgasmic intellectual rapture.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/01/29/desperate-new-tory-brexit-compromise-is-as-pitiful-as-all-th
Last edited by murderhorn on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
murderhorn

Postby murderhorn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:06 am

backstop was also the UK government's idea, the solution they came up with to respect their own "red line" on the Irish border, which the government has now voted to discard as unworkable and also punitive on the part of the EU
murderhorn

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:08 am

Videogames forever!!!
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby murderhorn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:37 am

I went to this panel at Goldsmith's last night which was more of a 25-min speech by Will Hutton followed by every other person at the table agreeing that Brexit is a disaster and all that. it was basically an update of his Guardian comment where he cites figures related to child poverty life expectancy etc and then talks about how calamitous it will be to leave the EU from which is devised some hasty prescription which will involve "combining a campaign to stay in the EU with a campaign to change Britain" (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/19/bad-news-is-were-dying-earlier-in-britain-down-to-shit-life-syndrome)

didn't make me feel better or better informed about anything but the undergrads sitting next to me had brought Tyskies to drink which was pretty charming
murderhorn

Postby acidity regulator » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:00 am

ImageImageImage
acidity regulator
Site Admin

Postby Feech La Manna » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:29 am

Kenny wrote:

A nice preview still
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby mcwop23 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 pm

wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....