Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 pm

4/10/13 12PM PST world premier 12-minute gameplay trailer at IGN
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby grammatron » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:32 pm

grammatron

Postby Guffaw » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Guffaw

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm excited but nervous. As mentioned in the Dark Souls thread, with Miyazaki not at the helm and some talk of DaS2 being a more user-friendly/universally appealing game, fans of the franchise do have a lot of cause for worry.

Ultimately my biggest concern is with PVP, as DaS PVP is basically the only gaming I've done and really enjoyed since that game's release. To me, the DeS/DaS model is deep, complex and engaging (though certainly not without its flaws). I hope they fix some of the broken things but don't try to reinvent the wheel.
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:44 pm

No question.

bongo
man in hammock

Postby nite69 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:53 pm

In terms of plot (although it's never been a strong point in the souls series) I wonder if this is going to be a prequel, sequel, or a new setting. I feel like they have a massive amount of lore that's been referenced in the game and explained in the lorebook, and it would be a shame to abandon that for a new setting or not build on it in a major way. The DLC did a lot right by introducing a lot of "new" characters that were honestly referred to a lot in the original game.
sealed their fate wrote:The handwriting is already on the wall. These boys have been flushed.

nite69

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:56 pm

The chestpiece in the image in OP looks a lot like the Elite Knight set and obviously there's the bonfire. However, From has implied that it's a new setting.

I agree about the depth of the lore and wanting to see it explored (much) more. I'd love DaS2 to take us to Astora, The Great Swamp, Thorolund, Vinheim - though with that said, we did get Oolacile in the DLC so I can't complain too much.

bongo
man in hammock

Postby oh! it's max! » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Yeah dark souls PvP is all I do anymore re: video games. Hope they don't fuck this up.
seriously.

oh! it's max!

Postby ahungbunny » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 pm

nite wrote:In terms of plot (although it's never been a strong point in the souls series)

I'd say Dark Souls has the most satisfying story I've ever seen in a game. It's one of the only examples of a videogame telling a story that is best told in that medium.

ahungbunny

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Agreed, ahungbunny.

bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 pm

oh! it's max! wrote:Yeah dark souls PvP is all I do anymore re: video games. Hope they don't fuck this up.

Are you on PS3? Have you installed Dom's mega mule? It's revelatory.

Jesus I'm posting a lot itt.

bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:25 pm

bongo
man in hammock

Postby nite69 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:25 pm

nibelheim wrote:The chestpiece in the image in OP looks a lot like the Elite Knight set

This kind of visual comparison for a lot of the things that have been shown so far is what is leading me to believe that they're setting the game in the DaS universe at least. A man can dream.
sealed their fate wrote:The handwriting is already on the wall. These boys have been flushed.

nite69

Postby oh! it's max! » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:27 pm

nibelheim wrote:
oh! it's max! wrote:Yeah dark souls PvP is all I do anymore re: video games. Hope they don't fuck this up.

Are you on PS3? Have you installed Dom's mega mule? It's revelatory.

nah i use my roommate's xbox live
but i use a save editor to test new lvl 120 builds when i get bored of playing one :ugeek:
seriously.

oh! it's max!

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Ah damn. PS3 PVP is where its at (Kappa).

bongo
man in hammock

Postby DestructoBot » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 pm

is this coming to PC ?

DestructoBot

Postby nite69 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:33 pm

ahungbunny wrote:
nite wrote:In terms of plot (although it's never been a strong point in the souls series)

I'd say Dark Souls has the most satisfying story I've ever seen in a game. It's one of the only examples of a videogame telling a story that is best told in that medium.

I see this a lot from diehard fans but I feel like the story is far, far too obscure for the average player and even for fans that really appreciate the game in a normal way. The entire first 1/3 of the game's plot is described in a 15 second family crest by Oscar and hardly hinted at until you've completed the tasks. The player hardly has an impetus to ring the bells other than just to play the game. I'm not saying it's a bad thing that the game's best asset is it's gameplay, because I think that's a great thing, but there's certainly not an emphasis on plot.

The only reason the lack of plot bothers me is that there is so much potential in the lore and the universe to really give the player a fantastic storyline along with the fantastic gameplay, even if that plot is still gameplay driven

nite69

Postby DestructoBot » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:36 pm

I agree with ahungbunny really hard on this

DestructoBot

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:39 pm

No offense nite, but that kinda reading is precisely what I hope the new dev team doesn't take heart and will not try to implement. In an era where everything in basically every game is thoroughly exposited, and handholding is the norm, I relish the structure (or lack thereof) and aura of DaS. The overarching plot is quite minimal and remains up for interpretation - like, I'd argue what Oscar tells you isn't really plot but more direction. It's still up for debate what the nature of the Chosen Undead's quest really is. Personally, I don't want more exposition and I think the richness of the Souls series lies in the way it compels you to seek out every NPC and area many times over and to read the descriptions of every item, weapon, spell and armor piece in search of more lore - even if ultimately a concrete meaning or plot lies out of reach.

bongo
man in hammock

Postby housesitter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:04 pm

My expectations for this are admittedly way too high

I was thinking today about how like the smallest change could fuck up so much about the game's atmosphere. Like what if the devs decide "hey, the test market thinks the level segments between bosses are too dull, we should add music to spice 'em up," or if they give the protagonist a voice
mcwop23 wrote:goddamnit, how am I being a terrible person now?

Image Image

housesitter
ok

Postby ahungbunny » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Miyazaki's still producing it so I'm not really too concerned. The company knows what it was that made the game so popular.

ahungbunny

Postby bongo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 pm

For sure, but the community is worried for a reason, some of the new director's assertions are troubling.

bongo
man in hammock

Postby Guffaw » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:25 pm

I believe in FROM

Guffaw

Postby bongo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:22 am

The 12-minute demo reveals the first gameplay and includes an introduction to a number of new mechanics, dungeons, creatures, scenarios and combat. We will also have a video Q&A session, both of which feature FromSoftware director Yui Tanimura, and Namcobandai global producer, Tak Miyazoe, both hosted by IGN's Marty Sliva.

bongo
man in hammock

Postby nakedlunch » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 am

I both officially and unofficially want to freeze myself until this comes out

nakedlunch

Postby iambic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:29 am

I loved Dark Souls and yet never kept it up

twice I started it and played for many hours only to suddenly stop

iambic

Postby Pashmina » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:30 am

im just awful at it

i need to get myself sober for a few weeks and establish myself w/ all the games i have that actually require effort
emotional fascism wrote:that was a bad post. i'd like to apologize to all board millennials.

Pashmina
I LOVE CATS!!!

Postby bongo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:31 am

One interesting consideration I've been thinking about recently is how From is featured on the promo poster of developers for PS4. I'm wondering if this means either a new Souls title is already in dev for PS4 (maybe DeS2?) or if it might be the next Miyazaki directed title.

bongo
man in hammock

Postby iambic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am

I think the main problem is so much of the good stuff in the game depends on really obscure multiplayer stuff, and the multiplayer runs like ass

iambic

Postby bongo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:38 am

iambic wrote:I think the main problem is so much of the good stuff in the game depends on really obscure multiplayer stuff, and the multiplayer runs like ass

Multiplayer on PS3 is perfectly fine. I've heard complaints about Xbox lag and PC being a deadzone.

The PS3 community is pretty vibrant, really - I participate in organized fight clubs a couple times a week and when I do random invasions as a Darkwraith or host it's usually constant invasions.

bongo
man in hammock

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....