Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby housesitter » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:20 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:man so, i've been giving SOTFS a shot and like, so many of the areas are so boring and bland, full of poison and cheap trash mobs. heide's tower of flame is cool-looking, but that's about it until you get to the castle.

MAN the castle vibes are so nice, like when i first got there i was like "oh this reminds me of Demon's Souls kinda" and then you just get an infinite rush of enemies so you can open the door with their souls or whatever? blech. really don't like the level design here but the vibes are cool.

and now i'm at Shrine of Amana which i remember kinda liking the vibes of, and yeah at first i was like "This isn't as bad as everyone says" but the further you get it's just cheap mobs of mages and nearly-impossible-to-see ledges, and it stoiiiinks. sucks cause the actual place is cool looking

the outdoor areas are the ugliest shit in the entire series. some places (Bastille e.g.) look nicer with a torch, but obviously it's impossible to actually play the game with a torch. what a mess.

legit love most of the DLC environments though.
mcwop23 wrote:goddamnit, how am I being a terrible person now?

Image Image

housesitter
ok

Postby sevenarts » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:33 pm

It’s so obvious that the DLC was made by a different team. They can’t erase the core problems of the game but most of the stuff that they had real control over (level design, creativity in the navigation and layouts, the bosses, the aesthetics) is noticeably better. I especially love the verticality and moving platforms of Shulva which gives a real unique feel to the exploration. It’s all still verrrry spammy and uninteresting in terms of encounter design though.

sevenarts

Postby housesitter » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:36 pm

yeah, it's all just onslaught mentality, and everything still feels gruesomely sluggish. creature and weapon design is elevated in the DLC shit too, worth shouting out. I love that damn fume knight and his sword.

only DLC boss where I was like "alright come one" was the two invisible tigers

Image Image

housesitter
ok

Postby dan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:43 pm

the "onslaught mentality" is, to my understanding, a product of the SOTFS "upgrade" where the changes they made to level design mostly amounted to heavily boosting the number of enemies everywhere. the original DSII is not nearly as bad with regards to this.
there's still a ton of other problems with the base game, but I feel nowadays I see a lot more people say that SOTFS is a downgrade because of the piles of enemies added. I'm sure other people have way more comprehensive comparisons.

dan

Postby housesitter » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:50 pm

I played 2 at launch and SOTFS more recently. while there were definitely hordes in the original at times, the remake went overkill for sure. I do remember thinking some changed enemy placements made more sense in areas that had previously been totally empty or boring, though I couldn't tell you where those were. iirc Amana is less hellish in SOTFS because the spells are slower, also.

Image Image

housesitter
ok

Postby wakeman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:49 pm

been replaying this too recently. Lost Sinner and the Rotten down so far. Already got my Claymore to +10 so maybe a little OP but it feels easier so far then I remember. I remember Ruin Sentinels taking so many tries when I first played for example.

There's definitely a weird depressing palor over this game compared to 1 and 3 but it's still enjoyable and nostalgic, especially since this is the only one I never replayed. First time through SOTFS too, and never tackled the last two DLCs either. I think I gave up on DLC 1 after that fucking gank squad fight. Kinda of cheapens the iconic Havel to just have some gank fucker dressed in the same armor.

Also gotta appreciate some of the more trollish shit in this one too, like the Pharros face that just dumps poison on you, or the fucking Ladder guy's cheapest ladder.
wakeman

Postby wakeman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:50 pm

laughed so hard in DS3 when you come to that room full of ladders and find the ladder guys splayed out dead by the bonfire.
wakeman

Postby garbiel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:53 pm

wakeman wrote:Also gotta appreciate some of the more trollish shit in this one too, like the Pharros face that just dumps poison on you, or the fucking Ladder guy's cheapest ladder.

this is the absolute best part of das2 imo. Just the absolute most assholeish shit. Poison everywhere, mobs with projectiles that spawn before they render, rust status effect traps, curse traps, gank squads

das2 is easily the worst souls game but I really enjoy the cruelty the game has

kick my ass from I love it
Sissy Spacerock wrote:IRL will only be inhabited by those of us who have learned to derive pleasure in suffering

garbiel

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:58 pm

amana at launch was the absolute worst bullshit. i just gave up. i think they patched it to make it more playable even before sotfs

in retrospect, i really like the absolute miserable mood dark 2 has although i get why it's not for everyone. it just feels more in line with the kings field games than the other fromsoft stuff since then.
ImageImage

it's the suspense that gets me

Postby housesitter » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:03 pm

that's a good way to look at the aesthetic tbh. and really these worlds are supposed to be long dead shells, it fits the narrative, and it's not like areas like... [whatever the town in 2's name is] or the rainy hike up to the castle aren't still pretty. also, the music (an underrated part of soulsborne stuff?) isn't 3 or Bloodborne-tier but it's still quite good in 2 as well. as soon as you mentioned Ruin Sentinels the song immediately got stuck in my head.

gank squad fight in 3 does blow solo, though, you're right.

Image Image

housesitter
ok

Postby garbiel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:03 pm

it's the suspense that gets me wrote:amana at launch was the absolute worst bullshit. i just gave up. i think they patched it to make it more playable even before sotfs

in retrospect, i really like the absolute miserable mood dark 2 has although i get why it's not for everyone. it just feels more in line with the kings field games than the other fromsoft stuff since then.

I powered through it on my melee only guy and it was genuinely tortuous
Sissy Spacerock wrote:IRL will only be inhabited by those of us who have learned to derive pleasure in suffering

garbiel

Postby sevenarts » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:03 pm

If you appreciate the trolly DS2 moments just wait till you get to the DLC. Some of those invaders are just ingenious trolls, I love it. One of my favorite aspects of the game for sure.

sevenarts

Postby housesitter » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:05 pm

garbiel wrote:
wakeman wrote:Also gotta appreciate some of the more trollish shit in this one too, like the Pharros face that just dumps poison on you, or the fucking Ladder guy's cheapest ladder.

this is the absolute best part of das2 imo. Just the absolute most assholeish shit. Poison everywhere, mobs with projectiles that spawn before they render, rust status effect traps, curse traps, gank squads

das2 is easily the worst souls game but I really enjoy the cruelty the game has

kick my ass from I love it

bowser's castle in 2 has some of the most unforgiving fuck-you shit in the series, it's pretty great. and then the boss is a total chump.

Image Image

housesitter
ok

Postby garbiel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:06 pm

being generous one could argue that the especially bullshit part of pre patch das2 were there as a reaction to the degenerate gameplay of DeS/Das. If you want to get through everything easily you need to plan ahead of time or make a well rounded character. In practice it just comes off as poorly thought out and lazy but I kinda get what they were going for

garbiel

Postby garbiel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:08 pm

rat covenant torture dungeons/bell keepr roleplay ganks remain the apex of souls pvp imo, really harken back to DeS style "fuck you im the boss now" invasions

garbiel

Postby garbiel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:09 pm

running around belfry sol dressed up like a bellkeeper using velstad's giant bell hammer was the tightest shit, likewise the copious hatemail from my all poision rat covenant build

garbiel

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:14 pm

i think my reaction to dark souls 2 at the time was

"a game for people that liked dark souls because they could talk about how it was the HARDEST GAME EVER"

i think that's a liiiiiiittttle unfair now but i wouldn't begrudge anyone for still having that take.

also yeah i've never really successfully figured out how to cheese dark 2 whereas it was relatively easy in all of the others, which is something that helps it keep an air of mystery to it that the other games don't have for me. whether that's good design or not? i mean, probably not. but it is alluring on a certain level.
ImageImage

Postby chairkicker » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:19 pm

i seem to remember fewer enemies in scholar of the first sin and better balance overall but i haven't played through the original since 2014 i guess my memory is shot. which reminds me that i need to go buy the original on steam before it disappears one day

chairkicker

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:22 pm

it varies depending on area i think?

it does have a lot more natural storytelling with enemy placement, at least. i definitely liked that about it.

haven't soulsed it up in awhile. might crack open the old steam right about now.
ImageImage

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:22 am

i'd give ds2 a lot more leeway if it didn't control like you're fighting through a layer of vaseline

playing the surge 1 and even that is tighter than ds2

ahungbunny

Postby wakeman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:23 am

loving Brume Tower, nice to see the ouroboros level design applied to a vertical space like that. speaking of troll shit, the Maldon the Assassin invader is so hilarious. When he bolts down the cursed tower

Haven't quite mastered phase 2 of Fume Knight but he doesn't seem thaaaaat bad compared to what I've seen folks say. Especially not after 5 years of even faster paced From games
wakeman

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:07 am

Never played a single Soulsborne game, but I bought Dark Souls Remastered for the Switch a few days ago.

That Demon Life

Postby wakeman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:10 am

wakeman

Postby kirito » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:12 am

bahahaha

kirito

Postby wakeman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:01 am

Was hoping to do all bosses in SOTFS but the nth run through the Frigid Outskirts is not helping my quarantine depression

Skipped the pets and beat Nashandra and Aldia. So easy after all the DLC. Time to take a From break til Elden Ring

Though I do still need to get the Shura ending...
wakeman

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....