Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby nakedlunch » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:26 am

:?:

I'm confused... what is this?

nakedlunch

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:18 am

new version for current/next-gen with all DLC included, and some extra NPC/lore/boss(?) stuff. ps3 peeps can get the patch for the non-DLC additions for free.
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby bongo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:32 am

nakedlunch wrote:Those reindeer are mother fuckers

:lol: - this is kind of a good distillation of dks2 vs other souls games

man i hate this game. props to you guys who have stuck it out
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life

bongo
man in hammock

Postby endless dave » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:50 am

in getting rid of my PS3, I held back because I hadn't finished DSII yet and I loved the first two games so much but then I had bad encounter where I lost 90K souls due to some bullshit and got angry enough that I finished selling everything. so, glad to have it come out on PS4 so I can try again

all I need to make things right post-PS3 is to get a port of Ni No Kuni somewhere

endless dave

Postby sevenarts » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 am

Finally went back and played this (SOTFS version), it was the last Soulsborne game I still hadn't played. I didn't have high expectations and it was basically about as bad as I'd heard. It has good ideas for new mechanics and little details strewn around the world and the gameplay that are definitely good things and should be incorporated into future From games: the dynamic difficulty through Bonfire Ascetics and Champion's Covenant (can't believe these weren't brought to DS3), the big changes made to NG+ with new enemies and shifts in enemy placement, and the way power-stance makes dual-wielding feel really natural and powerful. Power-stancing is a way better mechanic than the dedicated weapons DS3 did to incorporate dual-wielding, and DS3 only adding new rings in NG+ cycles was pretty half-assed.

They screwed up so much of the big stuff, though. The levels are mostly really bland and samey, and the design (except in the DLC) doesn't have the looping, complex structure of the best Souls levels. The bosses are also really boring for the most part: Darklurker is amazing, one of my new favorite Souls fights (even though as is par for the course in this game it has little to no in-game meaning as a character), and the DLC has great bosses like Fume Knight, Alonne, Sinh, and Aava, but so many of the main game bosses are completely forgettable and incredibly easy, often with slow, telegraphed movesets that are just a complete snooze to fight. They also managed to hide 2 of the best bosses, Darklurker and Alonne, behind absolutely horrible levels/mechanics, which makes it feel like a chore instead of being psyched up to fight a cool boss. Not to mention the dumb DLC "challenge" areas but at least all those bosses suck so no one would want to fight them anyway.

In the levels, the encounter design is uninspired, and there are so many stretches where it's nothing but tossing a bunch of enemies into a room, and having all of them pull together when aggro'd to eliminate the possibility of having the kind of patient, deliberate one-on-one duels that Souls games are so good at. BB and DS3 did a (mostly) better job of including lots of multi-enemy fights, but those games play significantly quicker, while DS2 is slow and clunky but still throws all these clusterfuck encounters at the player.

The combat also just *feels* worse than other Souls games, there's something about the movement in this game that never quite feels right, and the prevalence of laughable hitboxes and the way you have to pump up a stat just to have a decent roll adds to the unsatisfying feel of many fights. Even travelling the world feels kind of shitty because there's no logical connection between the areas (the famous elevator ride UP to a lava lake from a windmill) and basically no reason given for most of what happens.

I know I'm years behind everyone else in having these exact same complaints but there it is. There's a few ideas from this game that should definitely become part of whatever From does next but otherwise, what a mess.

sevenarts

Postby sevenarts » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:23 am

I watched some streams of the vanilla game on youtube to compare, and while I'm sure SOTFS improved a lot, it looked like they also added even more dumb swarm enemies. Dragon Aerie looked like it had way less of those dumb exploding hollows in the original game, while SOTFS turned one-on-one encounters with them into big clusters of multiple exploding enemies.

sevenarts

Postby ahungbunny » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Haaaaaa.

One of the selectbutton people is talking about writing an article about why, having played all the Souls games, DS2 SOTFS is his favorite. I'm really interested in hearing a positive take on this game from someone in that crowd.

ahungbunny

Postby sunrise » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 am

ahungbunny wrote:One of the selectbutton people is talking about writing an article about why, having played all the Souls games, DS2 SOTFS is his favorite. I'm really interested in hearing a positive take on this game from someone in that crowd.

i've been watching these streams and i think them playing it on low settings actually adds to the game. like, yeah it feels more like KF2 or something than DkS1 and actually falls apart a bit when it's reaching for those bigger things.

sunrise

Postby fox » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:54 am

I thought that this was From's first major success:

fox
Prime Galoob

Postby Kenny » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:44 pm

I'll bump this in case people don't want light spoilers as I play through but I spent some time around the second bonfire in the Forest of the Fallen Giants just grinding half to get my levels up and half to get more confident because every enemy was scaring me. Just getting back to feeling like it's fun plowing through baddies where I was starting to get frustrated with the looseness. I'm still worried that control is going to make bosses really hard. Anywho, I know that it's more hub-by and I know that people don't like that you can fast travel and that you have to level up with the girl etc but so far I'm happy to be playing another Dark Souls

I wonder how I'll feel about the changes because while I really really liked Dark Souls a lot more than I expected after giving up one time, I never really got to the Mythical Love status for it as the perfect game. Also if I like a part of some CONTENT I tend to like all of it, like when people talk about a season of a show (that I like) being bad compared to the rest it's usually news to me
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby guylum bardot » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:18 am

guylum bardot

Postby guylum bardot » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:35 am

maldron was dlc mvp
guylum bardot

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 am

guylum bardot wrote:Image

whoa i've never seen that set
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby guylum bardot » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:17 am

the flower skirt is a reward for beating the gank squad at the end of the sunken king dlc and the top is from the moon butterfly set

i forgot that it poisons surrounding enemies and had to pay 168k to be able to use the majula bonfire again

i stuck with the lost sinner armor and wanderer hood for most of the game though

guylum bardot

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:19 am

Maybe I should give it another shot. Maybe I should try running through guys instead of always fighting?

But when you die and lose some of your life it's such a boner kill
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby sevenarts » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:32 am

I’m sure everyone’s tired of me spamming these threads but these are basically the only games I play so.... DS2 was the last SL1 run I had left to do so I slammed through the main game over the last week or so, hoping to appreciate it more on a second playthrough. Still definitely has all the problems I listed above, and bad hitboxes and doing it at base level means that the problems with ADP become way more obvious. But I’ve also found myself a little more open to its appeal, I’m glad I revisited because now I feel like I know the game much better.

Bosses are still mostly easy, only Throne Watcher/Defender gave me a lot of trouble so far - and mostly for bad reasons, their hitboxes are atrocious and it’s a pretty badly designed duo fight.

Last night I beat Aava with surprisingly little trouble, I was pretty happy with that. Love that boss, and the DLCs are such a huge leap above the main game in general. Navigating through Shulva with all the vertical drops and pillars you can move and hidden switches is a total blast, and the long treks to free the Loyce Knights after Aava is dead feel like real epic quests.

Now I just have Ancient Dragon, Darklurker (love the boss but really dreading the bullshit before it), and the rest of the DLC bosses left. Excited to fight Fume and Alonne again.

sevenarts

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:36 am

i still need to try the dlc in this. i was also trying to get the MLGS in each game so that too

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby sevenarts » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:55 am

DLC is always the best part of these games but it’s especially the case with DS2. It doesn’t erase the problems with the main game but it’s just SO much better, with really cool level design and some fantastic hard as hell bosses.

sevenarts

Postby draw » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:17 am

It was a mixed bag to me. Fume Knight was one of my favorite bosses. I found all the ones from Crown of the Sunken King to be annoying or tedious. None of them are total duds like Covetous Demon or Demon of Song but the hitrate was about the same as the regular game to me.

draw

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:18 am

I think i made it to some snow area but got my ass handed to me and didn't pick it back up

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby kirito » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:20 am

demon of song is easily the best vanilla boss

kirito

Postby draw » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:21 am

I only use the first broadsword you get/no magic/no items other than flask when I play dark souls so my experience might be different from most

draw

Postby draw » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:24 am

kirito wrote:demon of song is easily the best vanilla boss

this boss literally did not even hit me and I'm not good at the game.I die a million times to an average new boss. Hell, I died a million times in the area right outside this boss.

draw

Postby kirito » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:26 am

yeah i just meant in terms of design, i don't find any of the dark souls 2 bosses particularly hard except maybe pursuer

kirito

Postby kirito » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:27 am

oh and that stupid giant rat

kirito

Postby draw » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:32 am

The three musketeers in the Cave of the Dead were fucking annoying

draw

Postby misadventurous » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:42 am

I do not recommend fighting Ancient Dragon it’s really miserable

<3 this game but the like 2 thousand bosses are a real mixed grill

misadventurous

Postby sevenarts » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:06 pm

kirito wrote:oh and that stupid giant rat

This boss is awful. Gave me so much grief until I figured out you can just firestorm the little rats at the start. Then it still sucks but is at least doable.

sevenarts

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:12 pm

what was the area that had that like, big hall right before a boss with bells or something? and like it feels like this last little gauntlet before a boss?

i remember digging that my one time through, felt like castlevania or something

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby figaro2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:13 pm

fume knights rep as one of the hardest bosses in the series was always strange to me...but I guess that, like a lot of bosses, can be build dependent. he's really easy if you're a low equip load/high adaptability/i-framer.

always found alonne much more difficult and the better dlc boss.....though the run up to his room, along with the run up to smelter and the snow zone are 3 of the worst designed areas in the entire series.
figaro2

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....