Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby dan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:21 pm

there's an incredibly easy cheese strat for Ancient Dragon

just stand inbetween his back legs and attack his innermost toes, if you stay in the sweet spot he'll only use his very telegraphed stomp attack (move out of the way a little for this) and the attack where he tilts his head to breath fire underneath his body. just walk out of the way when he begins the animation to breathe at you, you can even position yourself to still hit his toes if you want to go for it. potentially turn the camera 180 degrees so you can see him preparing to breathe if you can't time it. he should never fly up into the sky and do his massive fire everywhere attack if you do this properly, which isn't hard imoToggle Spoiler

you miss out on a Soul of a Giant if you don't kill him unless I'm mistaken

dan

Postby kirito » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:22 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:what was the area that had that like, big hall right before a boss with bells or something? and like it feels like this last little gauntlet before a boss?

i remember digging that my one time through, felt like castlevania or something

undead crypt. had that cool moment where you light a lamp in total darkness and it reveals a long line of gigantic stone statues

kirito

Postby dan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:30 pm

Both Smelter Demons took more tries than Fume Knight did, Fume telegraphs his attacks just as the Smelters, but the hitboxes on the Smelters seem way more unfair plus you have a smaller room to maneuver around in each time

Alonne I still have not beat after 15 attempts and easily seems like the hardest, gonna probably just not bother wearing armor and dodge like crazy if I go at him again

dan

Postby sevenarts » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:27 pm

dan wrote:there's an incredibly easy cheese strat for Ancient Dragon

just stand inbetween his back legs and attack his innermost toes, if you stay in the sweet spot he'll only use his very telegraphed stomp attack (move out of the way a little for this) and the attack where he tilts his head to breath fire underneath his body. just walk out of the way when he begins the animation to breathe at you, you can even position yourself to still hit his toes if you want to go for it. potentially turn the camera 180 degrees so you can see him preparing to breathe if you can't time it. he should never fly up into the sky and do his massive fire everywhere attack if you do this properly, which isn't hard imoToggle Spoiler

you miss out on a Soul of a Giant if you don't kill him unless I'm mistaken

I killed him like this, it barely even feels like cheese tbh because the fight is just so dumb. He does still fly up into the air occasionally - maybe I just didn’t position quite right - but then I just sprinted towards his tail and I was fine. Pretty easy fight this way even at SL1, I can’t imagine ever wanting to fight him head on.

sevenarts

Postby sevenarts » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:44 am

Also killed Elana, Sinh, and Fume Knight tonight and god that feels great. All really fun and interesting bosses.

sevenarts

Postby virtuous » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:46 am

ancient dragon is such a shitty boss. just a awful slog and a boring, tedious fight.

dreadful.
virtuous

Postby Kenny » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:21 am

This thread being bumped me to give DS2 another try and I think something flipped and I learned to be okay with being half health and I'm enjoying it a bit more.

Didn't hurt that I beat the boss inside the Heide's Tower of whatever where you're in a tower but there's a ring around the edge gone so you have to stay close to him. It was easy!
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby virtuous » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:58 am

:)
virtuous

Postby misadventurous » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:59 am

There is actually a ring somewhere in Heide’s (depending on the version you’re playing) that halves the % you lose from hollowing so it caps out at 75%! If you’re playing on PS4 or Xbone it’s right near that boss.

misadventurous

Postby Kenny » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:51 am

Oh shoot I'll have to find it. Do you/ anybody know the name

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those who you choose to accept and live by.

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby draw » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:53 am

yeah the hollowing shit is really stupid

draw

Postby dan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:01 am

https://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Ring+of+Binding
would have been such a nightmare to play though the first time without this ring

dan

Postby sevenarts » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:01 am

Kenny wrote:Oh shoot I'll have to find it. Do you/ anybody know the name

It’s the Ring of Binding. If you’re playing the Scholar edition it’s literally right before that Dragonrider boss door.

sevenarts

Postby sevenarts » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:03 am

I really like the hollowing mechanic in 2, it’s one of the changes they messed with that really works imo. Making it like Demons Soul except you go gradually hollow instead of instantly halving, and can then mitigate it by giving up a ring slot, makes for interesting choices and situations.

sevenarts

Postby misadventurous » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:13 am

Yeah agreed and the scarcity of effigies goes away fast enough that it becomes hard to run out unless you like, pop one every single time you die. You can easily have 20+ by the middle of the game.

It’s also just neat thematically/aesthetically as your character slowly rots, hair falls out, etc

misadventurous

Postby Kenny » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:04 am

I think I thought every area would be like Heide's Tower where there were endless places to drop off and insta die and then big guys that mean you have to move alot

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby cooly » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:19 am

if ds1 and ds3 didn't exist, ds2 might be the best video game of all time. it's still really good. it's just the worst one. the ways in which it is weird are really charming to me, and the castle owns, the dlc of ds2 is also one of the high-points of the series
can wrote:old lady [whispering]

cooly

Postby oh! it's max! » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:32 am

i replayed this last year and did the scholar edition, with all the DLCs added in the game is soooooo long (this is a good thing imo because i love it)
seriously.

oh! it's max!

Postby misadventurous » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:26 pm

I thought 2 was the worst yet when it came out but i really love it now as the weird middle child of the series, it grew on me

Helps that the Scholar version is straight up a better game in most respects than the original release

misadventurous

Postby sevenarts » Sat May 02, 2020 1:41 am

Went back to my SL1 run on a whim tonight and grinded out Burnt Ivory King. This fight is such a cool spectacle but it’s really frustrating mechanically. Having to slog through the battle phase every time just to get to the rather basic duel boss is pretty lame. Felt great to take him down anyway.

Now I just have the twin cats left if I ever feel like coming back to it again and finishing up.

sevenarts

Postby sympathy » Sat May 02, 2020 5:25 pm

9.99 on psn

It was 39.99 when I checked last week. glad I waited

sympathy
ok

Postby sympathy » Sat May 02, 2020 7:14 pm

died twice in the introduction section

sympathy
ok

Postby sevenarts » Mon May 04, 2020 9:22 am

sevenarts wrote:Went back to my SL1 run on a whim tonight and grinded out Burnt Ivory King. This fight is such a cool spectacle but it’s really frustrating mechanically. Having to slog through the battle phase every time just to get to the rather basic duel boss is pretty lame. Felt great to take him down anyway.

Now I just have the twin cats left if I ever feel like coming back to it again and finishing up.

Beat the cats this morning so now I've done all bosses in all soulsborne games at base level. It's been fun! :D

The Frigid Outskirts has to be the worst area I've ever seen in a video game, what utter bullshit. I wound up pushing through it once and save-scumming so I could keep fighting the boss without doing the run every time. It's probably the only Souls boss where closing the game, downloading a save from the cloud, and then restarting is actually faster than running through the area again.

sevenarts

Postby john plainman 666 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:51 am

i looked up how long it takes to beat the final boss of sekiro without upgrades and it took this one youtuber slightly less than an hour. jesus christ.
cool party wrote:the one and only point of "liking" this, the residents, or wolf eyes, is to demonstrate how urbane you are

john plainman 666

Postby sevenarts » Mon May 04, 2020 10:51 am

LOL no I wasn't counting that one. No upgrades in Sekiro is obviously very different because then you wind up with hour-long fights against the later bosses. I'm stubborn enough to do SL1/BL4 but even I'm very much not up for that.

sevenarts

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed May 06, 2020 6:34 pm

picked this back up to try the dlc finally and do a MLGS build

it's such a frustrating game. there's some really cool stuff but after just playing bb and dks1 a lot, this is definitely hard in a cheap way, and not nearly as visually appealing.

but there's some really cool armor, and some neat VIBES still. just so many green/brown/grey areas though.

and yeah the FEEL is just kinda off. somewhat better once i leveled ADP but it sucks so have to do that. i remember really digging some areas like the castle though, so i'm psyched to get to that, and the dlc which i haven't done obv
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby sevenarts » Wed May 06, 2020 6:39 pm

I’ve wound up appreciating it a lot more since playing it again even though its problems are so numerous and obvious. It’s still a Souls game and still has cool stuff. I enjoyed doing a hexer build and playing around with all those spells.

The DLC is mostly great, so much better than the main game, although it also has some of the worst stuff in the entire series. Feels appropriate for this game anyway lol.

sevenarts

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed May 06, 2020 6:44 pm

i might try a hex/MLGS build if it's feasible cause hexes are so much more fun than the standard sorceries (surprised they never made these more fun over 4 games)
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:21 am

man so, i've been giving SOTFS a shot and like, so many of the areas are so boring and bland, full of poison and cheap trash mobs. heide's tower of flame is cool-looking, but that's about it until you get to the castle.

MAN the castle vibes are so nice, like when i first got there i was like "oh this reminds me of Demon's Souls kinda" and then you just get an infinite rush of enemies so you can open the door with their souls or whatever? blech. really don't like the level design here but the vibes are cool.

and now i'm at Shrine of Amana which i remember kinda liking the vibes of, and yeah at first i was like "This isn't as bad as everyone says" but the further you get it's just cheap mobs of mages and nearly-impossible-to-see ledges, and it stoiiiinks. sucks cause the actual place is cool looking

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby kirito » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:07 pm

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:and now i'm at Shrine of Amana which i remember kinda liking the vibes of, and yeah at first i was like "This isn't as bad as everyone says" but the further you get it's just cheap mobs of mages and nearly-impossible-to-see ledges, and it stoiiiinks. sucks cause the actual place is cool looking

ah yes the place where dark souls became a first person shooter

kirito

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....